Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next tele stoke session?

Poster: A snowHead
Glad you all had a good time and there are more tele geeks in the making. Hope to get along at some point in the future for some turns.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, Love the idea of a session every couple of months (occasionally monthly would be ok too).
Can only do 13th October of the dates you suggested though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a quick update folks as I've just spoken to Richard.

Richard's a bit snowed under with work - so hasn't had time to sort out his diary.

I'm off on leave for two weeks from tomorrow (8th) - so he's said he'll copy Nick W into the email to post here. (Hope that's ok Nick W - your's is the only email address I had to hand.)

I'll have (Crackberry) email whilst I'm away, but net access will be problematic.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhillipStanton, thanks for sorting this out Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't thank me yet rob@rar - I've not yet managed to arrange anything!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought I'd mention that kiwi1's Junkigear company is the proud sponsor of Andrew Clark, the captain of the GB telemark race team. Andy's kit is a pair of VIST factory GS race skis fitted with a 40mm (yes that's 40mm) VIST riser plate on top of which is mounted VIST's telemark interface plate. That's 45mm of lift in total Shocked.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick W, any news from Richard on dates? just got my tele gear all sorted and cant wait snowHead Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, Nothing from Richard as yet. Will keep you posted.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Nick W, any news from Richard on dates? just got my tele gear all sorted and cant wait snowHead Smile

Cool

Nothing on my email yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
just thought i'd bump this thread with a couple of tele-stoke vids from telemarktips.com: - powder(27Mb) and my favourite training exercise noLeadChange turns(16Mb) - enjoy snowHead
(note: these are urls to wmv files, so probably only play in windows mediaPlayer - there are links to other file formats etc at TelemarkTips - some of the links are broken)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geoffers, good bump, good videos, and good tele stoke
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

my favourite training exercise - noLeadChange turns(16Mb) (mono-telemark on the vid)

Thought it might be worth elaborating on this, as it really helps get the mindset into tele rather than alpine (since presumably we're all getting into free-heel from an alpine background - no problem with that, as I ski both).

1. Imagine you're turning to the left in a parallel turn - uphill (left) ski is advanced - downhill ski is weighted with weight on the inside (big toe) edge.

2. Now unweight & sink/steer across the hill into the next turn (no lead change) - the left ski is still advanced but is now the downhill ski, and we're in a tele turn.
As alpine skiers we would expect to have this ski weighted more than the uphill ski - WRONG. In tele the back ski should have more of the weight (or be equally weighted)

to continue...
3. Now in the tele-turn going right, the lead (downhill - left) ski is advanced, but try to keep the back ski under yourself & focus on weighting its inside edge (little toe)

4. Unweight & steer into another left - parallel turn

5. The sequence becomes left Parallel:- weight on big toe of right ski - right Tele:- weight on little toe of right ski, and as you link turns you can really feel how (in this sequence) its the edges of the right ski which are controlling the turn.

Don't forget to do the same exercise the other way, skiing parallel right/tele left to get the feel of using the left ski to control the turn. When you've stopped having fun, link left & right tele-turns & feel the difference!

As alpine skiers, we tend to get too much weight on the downhill (lead) ski and leave the back ski flapping round doing nothing (probably with your back foot on tip-toes). Not good - especially when you get into powder or crud - well you do need to experience a tele-face plant wink
Think of keeping your heel as low as possible on the back ski - you can only achieve this if you keep the ski weighted and under you.

BTW Nowt wrong with skiing parallel all day on teles...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers, at our last lesson, Richard had us doing something similar to this. In his version of monomarking we did no lead-change turns, but to both right and left very much back foot weighted in both cases, i.e. not using the parallel bit of your sequence above. We also stayed quite a bit lower than the guy in the vid - I guess possibly to ensure we didn't slip back into parallel Wink . Then repeat on the next run with the other lead foot. Mostly seemed to work OK - in as much as anything works OK at our current level of (in)experience Laughing . Seemed very much the tele equivalent of one-foot linked turns, i.e. feeling the difference as your weighted ski turns on alternately its inside and outside edge.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have sent a few emails to Richard without reply... Anybody hear anything?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi guys

hows it going , i know i missed the 1 sep session Sad. Had some problems couldnt make it. Anyone going on one Richards week courses in europe or next session up at MK?
ski holidays
Madmonk, have texted, called and emailed richard without success... i am guessing he is abroad but not looking good with regards to more sessions at MK.
ski holidays
Quote:

BTW Nowt wrong with skiing parallel all day on teles.

Oh yes there is ! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Madmonk, have texted, called and emailed richard without success... i am guessing he is abroad but not looking good with regards to more sessions at MK.

Glad I'm not the only one he's not responding to!
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

BTW Nowt wrong with skiing parallel all day on teles.

Oh yes there is !

Nice thing is..... you can do this on tele.s : Try skiing tele on alpine gear Laughing
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, i was wondering if it was just me...i am guessing he is quite busy and not able to spare the time. do you know if MK have their own tele rental gear? if so we might just need to set up a fun day and do a bit of self teaching... i recon most of us could have a go by this point.
latest report
hi guys

i spoke to richard on monday, in reference to his trips to champery jan 2008 , yea is he very busy at moment, but we are on his todo list and will hopefully let us know when the next session is later this week.

Skim: MK does have a limited amount of telemark gear boots and skis. Think like for 4-5 ppl .
ski holidays
Madmonk, Good news for the next session. When we went last time, Richard had to do a lot of work on the MK equipment to get us all sorted out. He seemed to suggest that theirs was more or less knackered so unless they have sorted it all out since then we might struggle to get enough kit together. In any case I for one would still like Richard around when I venture back onto the slope.
snow conditions
Nick W, WHo needs rental gear, just buy some boots & bindings for your xscreams and you are ready to go. If you get some tele gear I'll buy some race stuff Toofy Grin
snow report
They do have some tele gear but not as much as they used to & you need to know how to set it up yourself. Also be wary of "pairs" of skis which are 2 lefts as the bindings aren't symmetrical.
latest report
Hey all , got some good news from richard, we are back on. Toofy Grin snowHead Cool

He is running quite a few courses at MK and his website has been updated with dates here http://www.tele-masters.co.uk/ukprogramme.html

The "snowheads special club" dates he can do prior to the holidays are the Dec 1 and 15th (am only)

I know GrahamN and I are away on the 1st but I would be happy to do the 15th

Can I get a Yes or no from everyone interested in a group lesson for the 1st and/or 15th so i can get back to him with numbers for those dates.

If you cant wait or make those dates we may be able to get a few together for his normal course dates on the website in November.

He also has a few places going on a trip to austria in a few weeks (see Below)

=================
Hi Scott
Sorry for the delay just got to grips with things here.
The website is in the process of update and the work from Snozone has been published.
Just click on ‘Xscape Programme’ for the standard lesson programme.
As you are a group I as over the summer am happy to come up as a one off. Outside of the Snozone work the only dates this side of Xmas are 1st and 15th Dec (15 would have to be am as I have 60 friends round for Carol Sing and beer that evening.
On the subject of evenings they are way more flexible during the week if that is any good.
I am also trying to source some new bindings for Snozone so that I don’t have to lug my skis in but that will take a while.
Off to a big tele festival on 15th and have a couple of spaces in the hire car if you or any of the guys fancy it. Cheap long weekend.

Sorry again but is really working with you guys that has kicked me back into action and now looking forward to a great winter and if I can up the power in the next 3 months will try out for the reformed GB tele team. Which will keep me up at the top.

Hope that you and all the others are in good form and I hope we can get together soon.
latest report
skimottaret, 15th would be good for me as it is my 50th on the following day so it would make a good weekend of it! Well done on making contact.
ski holidays
You free heelers out there might be interested in a Telemark skiing event being held at Castleford XScape on Sat 24th Nov between 14.00 hrs and 23.00hrs. It's being organised by Matt Higginson who organised the Tele Weekend at Tamworth in August. Details here
latest report
I think I can do the 15th, but not the 1st as I'm away that week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
so 3 so far for the 15th, excellent... any more takers?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Nick W, should i go ahead and let Richard know we will have 3 for the 15th?
latest report
Yes, I'm up for it. Any others? Graham, Phil...?

Just a thought - you will have only been back from your slalom course for one week. Will you have recovered by then? Twisted Evil
snow report
rob@rar, not sure as my training programme has gone pear shaped, i spent saturday night in hospital after coming off my mountain bike, knocked out and 15 stitches, quite sore with dinged ribs and cut up hands and without half my right eyebrow which got scrapped off.... first time in years i didnt wear my helmet and i come off going to the shops to get milk... (helmet was too sweaty after training at bromley) how dumb is that Skullie
ski holidays
skimottaret, blimey, that sounds painful! Hope it doesn't interfere with your plans for skiing in Tignes.
snow conditions
rob@rar, THe head is really killing me, must stick up a photo as to why you should always wear a helmet. I willl still be going but wont be as fit as i would like to be. Will PM regarding your course report
snow report
15th is fine for me, but it sort of depends on what time he's willing to go to. I don't really want to miss am training, so I can't probably get there much before 11am - 11:15 would be safer.

skimottaret, oooh, comiserations. I'm come off my (road) bike several times, but other than one slightly wrenched shoulder, I've never had more than a torn sleeve - and I don't get on with bike helmets so don't wear one. I actually read your last post before your previous one - and thought "Oh no he's taken a pearler at Bromley and that's another two years before we get him back on plastic again". See - plastic isn't that bad after all Wink .
snow conditions
Just to confirm that I can't make it - we're out for Morzine ski test weekend.
snow report
Looks like it is rob@rar, skimottaret, Nick W, Madmonk, and GrahamN, (a bit later).

Richard had said in his email he prefered a morning start as he is hosting a party that evening. I will check back with him and post a time. Thanks to all for coming back to me so quickly..

PhillipStanton, hope you will test some Tele skis when in Morzine Toofy Grin
Spyderman has to work, but promises to do a few lunges during the day...
snow report
skimottaret, Thanks for doing all that. looking good for 15th snowHead
snow report
Heard back from Richard and we are a go Toofy Grin , he would like us booted up and ready to go for 11:00 so i would suggest meeting at say 10:45 at the boot desk to get sorted.

He asked if i could supply everyones boot size so he can set up the skis prior to arrival to save time, so anyone needing skis please advise boot size.

GrahamN, I know it is a bit tight for you but as he has a party on that night he said he was going to be in trouble starting any later, hope you can still make it.
snow report
skimottaret, Both times I have borrowed his Crispis. I think they were 10.5 uk size.
See you there for about 10.30ish
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy