Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do ski instructors have to prove current ski techniques?

Poster: A snowHead
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

When I realise I post condescending tosh, I try and apologise

Really??? Shocked Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...which implies stoatsbrother and Hurtle never agree on anything. Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, I think the key word in the sentence was "realise"... I didn't say it happened often. Are you sure you have had your pedant skills appraised and revalidated recently? Toofy Grin

Anyway - thread creep. Lets move on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My only real opinion is that this particular sub-forum would be have tumbleweed blowing across it if only appropriately qualifies people were entitled to post on it.
Most readers are capable of distinguishing between credible posters and junk advice I'd have thought.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, Who (whom) are you calling a thread creep? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, Laughing

fatbob, absolutely agreed. The trouble comes - in another place - when people say they are qualified instructors despite not having taught for decades.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, V8 is not self-appointed - he is a fully qualified ISIA ski teacher who works as a ski teacher all winter, every winter AFAIK. OK - now I'll jump in - sorry peeps, but properly trained and qualified and up to date ski teachers DO know more about skiing and ski technique than even the most talented and enthusiastic amateur. It is our life and our profession. I'm sure no-one would want me to take the scalpel from slikedges. Shocked

This is not to say that other snowheads should not post their opinions - of course they should, but we seem to be suffering from a witch hunt here against the qualifieds. Where does it say Snowheads is only for amateurs??? Of course one or two members would prefer that those of us with qualifications would just go away - that much is very obvious from the posts on the last page.

Isn't it odd that most who are being very vociferous on this thread are most of the same ones who don't think it's important for ski teachers to be properly qualified?? Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,
Quote:

V8 is not self-appointed

Actually, I wasn't trying to imply that he's unqualified, hence the 'and/or.' In my view stoatsbrother was being excessively judgmental in this instance and I was just trying to say that veeight was not the only contributor to this forum who sometimes spoke as though his view was the only tenable one and that all other views were rubbish.

Personally, I greatly value your and his contributions to technical debates and, if in doubt, would probably tend to favour your views over those of the 'talented amateurs.' However, being 'qualified' doesn't necessarily mean that one has the answer to everything. I am fully qualified and very experienced in my own profession but one thing is certain: the day on which I think I know all the answers will be the day on which I professionally fall flat on my face! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally, I am glad that the instructors on here take part, and it's great when they are helpful and encouraging to everyone on here, and show an ability to discuss ideas and consider different concepts.

So, would the vociferous few who are trying to witch hunt the instructors off here please stop doing it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

would the vociferous few who are trying to witch hunt the instructors off here please stop doing it.

Hear, hear - well said! Smile
Now, who was talking about thread creep...? wink wink wink (I'm only joking!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, who are you calling a creep? Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, If the Fox Hat fits... wink wink wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, you're clearly reading a completely different thread from me Mad !! As the most vociferous 'antagonists' on the previous page are slikedges and me, where on earth do you get the view that we are the "same ones who don't think it's important for ski teachers to be properly qualified", and "one or two members would prefer that those of us with qualifications would just go away"? We have both said that we greatly appreciate the instructors' contributions on this forum, and give their views significantly more weight than amateurs'. Of course you guys know more about this stuff than we do - but we do have brains and can see contradiction (either between yourselves, or on occasion with the laws of physics) when it's there. stoatsbrother has already given an example of where V8 was quite dismissive of other professionals' strong advice. I largely agreed with V8 in 'the ankles thread', against the strong opposition of Martin Bell, except he destroyed his own argument by grossly overstating it.

However, as Hurtle says, the day on which a professional thinks they know all the answers will be the day on which they professionally fall flat on their face! (Think about Professor Edwards in the dual cot death case). This is nothing about "a witch hunt here against the qualifieds", but against the arrogance that regards their own statements as ex-cathedra with dismissive put downs against reasoned counter-argument, and if some of us are finally sticking our heads over the parapet it's becasue we're sick of it - as this is far from the first time. So we have to sit and accept unconditionally whatever you guys say, however contradictory?

Mad

Q. What's the difference between God and a Ski Instructor?
A. God doesn't think he's a Ski Instructor.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, I am really confused here. I thinkyou have totally misinterpreted my views and those of another couple of posters and am actually rather offended. Are we reading the same thread?

I would like to see more instructors like ssh and easiski post and have never ever queried their advice. veeeight posted some quite trenchant and controversial views about pole usage some months ago and showed little willingness to listen to other peoples views on the subject. In this thread - which was not slagging instructors at all - but was about at what point someone should stop calling themselves an instructor or claiming their qualification was relevant - veeeight popped up and again trashed the value of others opinions. When called on his behaviour by GrahamN and slikedges he made it out to be their problem rather than his.

Wear The Fox Hat, you are way out of order here. No one has said they want to see fewer instructors. No one is hounding them. One of them is implying other people should keep their worthless opinions to themselves.

easiski, of course instructors generally know more - where does anyone say anything else? I have skied with at least one sH who skis better than many instructors, but who would not be able to teach it. This thread is about stopping people - and we all know who I mean - claiming expertise on the basis of ancient qualifications with no recent instructing experience.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

and remember how he said we were all wrong to take out wrists out of straps in trees or in any off-piste conditions? however many mountain guides or other experience instructors have said the opposite.

Of course he must be right, we are humble mere mortals, how dare we question that there might be some dodgy under-qualified idiots masquerading as instructors? We are simply not worthy

I just thought this was a bit of an over-reaction to veeeight's alleged misdemeanour. And I was referring to this forum generally, not just this thread, when implying that lots of people tend to get carried away with their own perceived infallibility or, at least, to misquote Mr Gladstone on his arch-rival (or was it the other way round?) inebriated with the exuberance of their own verbosity. Sorry if you were offended. I seem to remember being advised to grow a thicker skin on 'tinternet! wink
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, you are way out of order here. No one has said they want to see fewer instructors. No one is hounding them. One of them is implying other people should keep their worthless opinions to themselves.

I guess I didn't write very clearly. I apologise for that. I thought that my two sentences were clear, but obviously not as clear as I intended.

I took the comments that easiski had made, and added my agreement to them. I did not name any names. (so, I guess both myself and easiski are "way out of order"?)

My addition was the first sentence - instructors who are helpful/encouraging/open are a positive resource here. Instructors (in fact anyone) who are discouraging/dogmatic are not a positive resource.

As I say, I apologise if you felt my previous post was a personal attack at you, and I hope you can accept that I did not intend to be out of order in any way.
(but if you want to be dogmatic in your response/attitude then I've probably wasted my time typing this Laughing)
snow report
I think this topic began as a rather interesting and particularly informative discussion about gaining and maintaining instructor qualifications but has rather lost its way.

Anyone object if I prune it back into shape?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 26-06-07 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I just checked back to see how all this started and it was with the following, throwaway line, culminating in a wink:
Quote:
Given the number of armchair experts on this forum regularly dishing out skiing advice, I'm surprised that the topic of a real instructor's skiing qualifications and validations appears to be of importance .

I tend to agree with Easiski's view that
Quote:
it may be true that V8 has posted in haste

Yes, it was rather an arrogant thing to say, but it's easy to toss away a line like that, most probably meant at least half in jest, if one is professionally qualified in the field in question. I have ranted about barrack room lawyers many times, sometimes not all that politely ( Embarassed ) and no doubt you can sometimes become impatient with amateur medics. I just think that the reaction to veeeight's throwaway line - and admittedly, he didn't exactly help himself by letting loose another one ("so many errors, so little time")"! - has been way out of proportion. And it annoys me that both on this forum and on the 'other' one, a single pompous or unguarded remark so often unleashes a floodgate of many, many more, equally pompous, remarks. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast: the quotation posted by veeeight was amusing and in point.

/rant.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, forget it - no worries - I agree with you we need more rather than fewer instructors. I took your post as criticising GrahamN and slikedges and me for "witch-hunting" - when I don't think this is the case.

Hurtle, veeeight trashed the validity of the opinion of all those who are not instructors. read the threads that GrahamN alludes to if you want to see his MO. Perhaps you might then see who is being judgemental here? And you know very well who I meant as a possible "dodgy underqualified idiot" - and they haven't posted on this thread... yet... I have obviously done something to pee you off considering recent posts of yours. Sorry for whatever it was. Puzzled
snow conditions
admin, It seems to have settled down now. pruning it or locking it will only draw attention to it. Achilles question has been asked and answered and I think the thread will die a natural death.

However - your site - your rules - your T&Cs... wink
ski holidays
admin, I don't think censorship is required. I get confused when history is changed!
snow report
admin,
Quote:

I think this topic began as a rather interesting and particularly informative discussion but has rather lost its way.

Anyone object if I prune it back into shape?

Not at all. To get back on topic myself, I would hope that no self-respecting professional would deny that some compulsory continuing education (definitely) and revalidation (possibly) are a good idea - at least in any field in which it is necessary to be qualified to be able to practise at all. All professional bodies should self-regulate to this end. In my experience, some professions do that better than others: solicitors are pants at it. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

I have obviously done something to pee you off considering recent posts of yours. Sorry for whatever it was.

No, no, no, you haven't done anything. I just hate tit-for-tat ranting per se - that is until I start indulging in it myself! wink wink
Pax Puzzled Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle, I can see the point of continuing education, and professional bodies can do as they please, but I think it can turn into a bit of racket if care isn't taken.
ski holidays
laundryman,
Quote:

it can turn into a bit of racket if care isn't taken.

Too right - that's what I meant about solicitors!
snow report
Hurtle, "I just hate tit-for-tat ranting " -

so what exactly are you doing on a web forum?! Take a look at TGR sometime for the real deal!

pax Toofy Grin
ski holidays
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

so what exactly are you doing on a web forum?!

What I said was:

Quote:

that is until I start indulging in it myself!

wink

I'd never heard of TGR until I saw it on the Warren Smith thread. It's so revolting, I thought the whole thing was a spoof! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
You've all had your last words. I'm having mine Twisted Evil.

On another thread:

I posted
slikedges wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:
I am always skeptical about the mechanical, as opposed to the psychological, role of the ankle in tipping the ski. If you can fine-tune your edge angle using your ankles, then surely your boots don't fit very well!
But I do concede that the tension, created by trying to "tip" the ankle within the confines of a stiff ski boot, may play a role in aiding feedback and balance for other areas of the body.

I'm sure this is right. If boots fit well at the cuff then any lateral movement whether at ankle or forefoot inside of the laterally rigid boot will not be directly transferred to the outside of the boot. If at the cuff the boots are looser laterally but at the ankle and forefoot the boots are quite tight, movement of the latter will translate more directly into movement of the outside of the boot.

V8 posted
veeeight wrote:
rolling eyes

This isn't just one hasty post it's a pattern of behaviour, equivalent to me often saying stuff like Hurtle, wake up, there's a good fellow or easiski, read what's on the page.

Wear The Fox Hat, I read your post the same way stoatsbrother did.

admin, I'm done.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges,

Quote:

Hurtle, wake up, there's a good fellow

My last word is: I'm not a fellow! Toofy Grin
snow report
Hurtle, that's four or five words (depending on your definition). wink
snow report
laundryman, Groan, I just knew one of the other pedants was going to say that, it was just a question of which one it would be. As stoatsbrother implied, I probably need to do some continuing education. My problem, you will understand, was to keep my post within the implied context of the expression 'to have the last word.' But I agree, I was gramatically at fault. I'd better shut up now, this is seriously off-topic.
snow conditions
Quote:

gramatically

Oops Embarassed
ski holidays
It's fascinating how quick witchhunts turn ugly!

*gets popcorn out*
latest report
veeeight, Hang on in there, and defend your corner! Some of us not-so-expert amateurs really do appreciate your advice, even if your attitude occasionally gets up people's noses. I can think of very few sHs whose attitude doesn't get up my nose at some time or another, it's the nature of the beast/t'internet.
ski holidays
Hurtle, thanks for your kind words! But I don't really see any value of degrading the thread any further, it is, after all, only t'internet!
latest report
veeeight, Fair enough, abandon the thread, but don't abandon us altogether!
ski holidays
Blimey no! I read the thread morbid fascination, and don't worry, there's no danger of me doing a David Goldsmith! Laughing
snow conditions
A joke

Little boy: Mummy, Mummy, there's naked ski instructor running around the bottom of the garden!

Mummy (assuming it's a man) says: How do you know he's a ski instructor?

Little boy: Because he's got a small c*ck and he keeps talking about himself!

Laughing
latest report
Tim Brown, Very Happy Very Happy sounds like several of my friends/work colleagues.....
latest report
Tim Brown,
Quote:

A joke

Wonder why I don't find that funny... Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy