Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sydney Morning Herald: "It's now possible to heli-ski in most parts of Europe"

Poster: A snowHead
No it isn't, thankfully. For the benefit of visiting Australians, that statement is rubbish.

More heli hype from the Sydney Morning Herald

Given the deepening CO2 catastrophe, isn't it time we jacked in this monstrously costly and damaging activity and grounded the choppers?

This paragraph sums up the article:

"Heli-skiing is remote wilderness skiing. One can stand on a mountain in the middle of nowhere and breathe in the history of alpine skiing. This is how it was done long before chairlifts gave people a ride to the top. Of course, pioneers trekked to the mountain peaks without the aid of a helicopter, but you get the drift."

Yeah, I get the drift. Now you can breathe in the pollution and watch the mountain animals run scared, perhaps losing enough energy to die. People should skin up to these fragile and peaceful places. Heli-skiing is total poo-poo, basically.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-06-07 6:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here we go again rolling eyes

Well if I had the dosh I'd be doing it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, I agree

Although I would like to do it just the once
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't worry, fellow snowheads, you are not suffering form déjà vu, this is effectively a bumped thread - and an opportunity to show a continuing mastery of offensive language.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, In fairness, I would say it is more of a hobby horse than a bumped thread.

I would also like to have a go at heli-skiing.

Cat skiing is supposed to be a cheap alternative but I hear conflicting stories about how good that is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, what's offensive about having a point of view?

I've heli-skiied a few times but, frankly, have experienced more thrills from lift-served skiing. It simply isn't all it's cracked up to be. I happen to agree that it is environmentally questionable now and I'm surprised the SCGB still promote it given their "green" image.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller wrote:
achilles, what's offensive about having a point of view?.....

Nothing. It was David's last sentence I found offensive, despite the '*'. But you may think I have a delicate constitution. Personally, I do find the 's' word offensive. There may be times when it is appropriate; this isn't one of them - but that's just an opinion, of course.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heli skiing is so over - its all about sled access now - lets start campaigning to get Europe opened up to snowmobiles as the average day's skiing doesn't burn enough petrol.

I fear MR Goldsmith is pissing in the wind until the US /China/India are big enough to do something positive and relative to this why should Europe and skiers in particular offer themselves as sacrifices?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 9-06-07 16:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, I did note David has raised the issue on Epic. Troll-tastic. Some great responses Very Happy Very Happy

'Go hug a tree will ya as I bulldoze it down!'

We really need some kermits telling us what to do !

'What a bunch of hippy bs'
.... I particularly like the American usage of the word 'bunch'.

A couple of diplomatic replies suggested that David may get a more sympathetic response on other forums.

Top class comedy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, "sh*te" would have been better. Sounds a bit more pleasant with the e.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dale Goldsmith, I couldn't help noticing the ise (mysnowsports site admin) comment at the end of a thread discussing summer race-training for British skiers
ise wrote:
..given you don't actually ski that's fairly irrelevant.

Can we make that your final contribution on this please?

Earlier in the same thread I see further criticism of David's choice of language - though I gather the offending word was stronger - in a site whose audience may frequently include children. But expletives to seem to be becoming a substitute for discussion.

Dale Goldsmith wrote:
A couple of diplomatic replies suggested that David may get a more sympathetic response on other forums.

Peter Garwood wrote:
...I suggest you go and use your questionable powers of persuasion elsewhere.

Do I see a trend developing?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Er? What!

David does your noble stance on greenhouse gases and areas of nature apply to geting in a plane and travelling to Canada to ski or South America or New Zealand?

If you arrived at Canada for a jaunt in BC and someone offered you a trip with these guys http://www.selkirk-tangiers.com/ would you really really really say no?

Also just out of interest how do you get round London this question comes from someone who has lived in London for 4 years and cycles everywhere and I see absolutely no reason to have a personal car.

I understand slightly your point of view but heli skiing isn't a big thing it is very expensive and out of the budget of 95% of the skiing community also have you ever looked at how many heli flights in a day in the alps are down to mountain rescue compared to heli drops?

My point certainly isn't stop mountain rescue but the heli skiing isn't the devil.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, They were genuinely 'diplomatic replies'. One was from Martin Bell. It was not code for 'Clear off!'

Mr. G. is usually polite. He is certainly not abrasive in the manner of one of the departed posters above.

I suppose it depends on your tolerance for the hobby horse in question. The Heliskiing debate is not yet as tiresome as Tamsin, in my opinion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum, oh dear - David has now selflessly forsaken crossing the pond- and indeed none of us actually know if he has actually skiied at all in the last 12 months. Perhaps he will lend us his carbon allowance for an extra trip or two? wink

The puritanical zeal of the ex-sinner who is born-again is not always attractive.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another slight point is the biggest hole in the ozone layer is situated over antartica which shows that it is the actions from elsewhere that end up affecting this barren remote place.
snow conditions
Dale Goldsmith, I am worried. Of your 109 posts so far, I find myself agreeing with rather a large percentage.

One question: Sock puppet? No inference, just wondering as your knowledge of Snowhead and other like sites is quite impressive.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, cool good for david, now just need to check if he drives around and in and out of london, if so it is off to the crusher with that beautiful bmw!

Also because I cycle 300 days a year and the other 65 use some form of public transport does this mean I can offset my heliskiing trip on carbon credits ROFL ....
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
achilles, what's offensive about having a point of view?

I've heli-skiied a few times but, frankly, have experienced more thrills from lift-served skiing. It simply isn't all it's cracked up to be. I happen to agree that it is environmentally questionable now and I'm surprised the SCGB still promote it given their "green" image.

I'd disagree with that, I've been in Canada and I can safely say it's the best thing I have ever done. It's all about the conditions though, you can have fabulous conditions whilst lift skiing and awful ones heli-skiing and of course the lift skiing is going to better.

But when you get the perfect conditions on the perfect mountain, wow, it's just outstanding.
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
[Perhaps he will lend us his carbon allowance for an extra trip or two? wink

Unlikely, he would not even give away a few of his unwanted airmiles.
snow report
achilles, call Goldsmith a ******* idiot over on the SCGB board and see what happens. Can you imagine the fuss he would make? Emails to the moderators, letters to the Chairman, threats of legal action against the club and the mother of all tantrums would surely be the result!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 9-06-07 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
Has anyone spotted Latchigo and Dale on at the same time? The styles are at times not disimilair.
I would say though that the thread has a slight flavour of revisiting past themes with a little trolling on the side, I will not be drawn into a response. wink
snow conditions
T Bar, Hmmmmmm food for thought. wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Frosty the Snowman, Dale has already come out as Latchigo (or the other way round) give me a tick I'll find the thread ....

Edit: can't find it, I think it might have been deleted for his usual bigoted anti-gay nonsense.
snow conditions
Spikyhedgehog, if you're looking for something more testy than a 20 degree slope then you're best off hiring a guide in St Anton or Chamonix or Engleberg or similar and you'll have enough dosh left over to happily wait for the right conditions. And the conditions aren't always right for heli-skiing either don't forget.

Tim Brown, have you got anything to say about heli skiing?
latest report
I have been with a guide in St. Anton, suffice to say that was fantastic as well! I have also done La Grave also, all amazing.

I'm just saying, heliskiing was on a whole new level. This is of course down the the fact that the conditions were near perfect, but having the helicopter just made it that little bit sweeter.

I'll agree with you though, pound for pound, 'normal' skiing will probably provide a more enjoyment over the long term.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 9-06-07 15:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Bode Swiller, yes, I ******* love it! Can't wait to go again next year. On the other hand, why wait until next year when I can fly down south and do it sooner?
latest report
Tim Brown, I see, you must therefore be the Club's spokesman on Environmental issues. Why not heli ski the Antarctic while you're down there... I believe that was suggested as being a future club trip in Ski&Board a couple of seasons ago. Will one be stuffing one's fisog in First while looking down at the Maldives disappearing?
snow conditions
Swiller, I think I'll go Club Class, actually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum, in answer to your question I travel around london by oyster and shell out regularly to top up this pearl of a smartcard (the interesting thing is that skiing pioneered exactly the same transponder as a liftpass). Most travel (e.g. today East Finchley-Victoria return) is by bike: an excellent (British made) Claud Butler. I used to use a skateboard for short distances (e.g. pillar box), but it was stolen. I haven't owned a car since August 2004 but sometimes rent a halo.

achilles, sorry to have offended you. I do find heli-skiing the biggest conceivable insult to the planet's interests, given that skiers apparently value the environment they ski in and maybe wish to preserve snow for future generations. Or maybe they don't give a poo-poo.

Tim Brown, I was wondering if we're going to have the pleasure of meeting up. Do you visit London at all? You don't have to drop in by helicopter ... it would just be refreshing for you to establish your bona fides and prove that you're willing to put your face where your mouth is.
snow report
Just as a P.S. to the above:

Tim Brown wrote:
achilles, call Goldsmith a ******* idiot over on the SCGB board and see what happens. Can you imagine the fuss he would make? Emails to the moderators, letters to the Chairman, threats of legal action against the club and the mother of all tantrums would surely be the result!

What I find bizarre about this kind of comment is that Tim Brown vanished from the SCGB forum about 2 months ago, when invited to attend a club social or something. Is the name genuine?

Just for the record: (a) you can call me what you like, sunshine, so long as it's not defamatory - that seems reasonable (b) none of the other stuff would occur, especially the rubbish about threats of legal action. I've never threatened legal action to anyone in my life.

It's interesting that the moderators don't delete stuff like the above - it's a prima facie infringement of the rules of this forum.
latest report
I was just wondering if the annual CO2 output of heli-skiing operations in Europe is measured or estimated at all? If so how does it compare with the 6bn tons the US generates annually or the similar amount (and rising dramatically) that China generates? If
Quote:

I do find heli-skiing the biggest conceivable insult to the planet's interests
is the case and not hyperbole then I'd stop going. As it is I did three trips this season (all superb experiences), totalling probably 30 mins in the helicopter, which is about the same as the 'helicopter experience' flights flying schools offer. Looking at things in isolation is pointless, the only approach to the problem is an integrated one. Anyway I have to go now as I need to book my flights to New Zealand as I'm off there in September. To go heliskiing Very Happy
ski holidays
That's an important point. Heli-skiing encourages long-haul travel, and sometimes very long-haul travel when Asia or Australasia are destinations for northern hemisphere skiers.
latest report
So what, you're saying holidays that require a long haul flight shouldn't be taken by anyone?

I somehow don't think that is a viable solution..
latest report
David Goldsmith, I'll wager that anyone in the UK who does at least one trip per year outside of the UK for the purpose of lift-based skiing is responsible for more than the world-average of CO2 emission. The rest is just a matter of degree.
snow conditions
That's probably true. The problem is that heli-skiing is held up as the pinnacle of the skiing experience, so it has a trickle-down effect in terms of skier aspirations. In fact it's a grossly decadent pollution fest. One problem is that helicopters pump out invisible exhaust gases.
snow report
... just like cars - only there's a lot less of them. If exhaust gases were visible, I'd be very worried about global cooling.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
......... One problem is that helicopters pump out invisible exhaust gases.

rolling eyes
snow report
If you want to go heli skiing proper join the army air corps, the only place high enough for them to practice mountain flying is in Canada during the ski season Very Happy wink
snow conditions
Quote:

Frosty the Snowman, Dale has already come out as Latchigo (or the other way round) give me a tick I'll find the thread ....

Edit: can't find it, I think it might have been deleted for his usual bigoted anti-gay nonsense.

I hadn't spotted that' one reason I thought Dale and Latchigo may not be alter egos was I thought Dale was rather more liberal. Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
I take it that ise man accepting DGs last contribution on mysky sports has driven DG back here. Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy