Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many times can you sharpen edges

Poster: A snowHead
i just bought a pair of second hand race skis and they have around half the original thickness left in the middle section of the ski.

How many tunes would be left?
How much material does diamond polishing take off as opposed to filing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My slalom skis (Fischer RC4 SC - punter carvers, not the SLs, or even the WCs) have probably rather less edge than that, and I've been sharpening them on average about once every 10 days for the last 18 months. It really depends how sharp you need to keep them, and the terrain you'll be using them on.

I really notice the difference now after about 3-6 runs through a race course on Dendix, and it's a noticeable limitation to training performance after a couple of hours, hence the frequent sharpening. However when I started training I didn't really notice the blunting until I'd had at about 3 2hr sessions. I think Aldershot is a lot harder on edges than Brentwood though so you'd get more wear out of yours. I'd say you had a good couple of dozen hand tunes left on those skis, as long as you don't go overboard - just don't let them anywhere near S&R or there'll be no base, edge or anything left after about 3 tunes. Stones take off way less than filing, but don't do anything like a good enough job to keep an edge sharp enough for Dendix.

I did a week's training in Tignes last Nov and hired some Dynastar GS skis (punter, not race dept). The edges we noticeably softer than the Fischers - much more metal came off with much less pressure on the file. I gave them about one swipe with the file each evening, as the glacier ice was blunting them a bit quick. I think the Fischers will need much less sharpening that that, unless you're really caning things, and a touch up with the stone each evening will probably be enough, with maybe a proper sharpen once or twice a week? At a guess you should get another 6-10 weeks off the skis?

BTW are you around on 30th June. Would be good to meet you at the Brentwood LSERSA race Wink .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, I agree with GrahamN. I pass a file over my son's Atomics every week and have done so for over a year. The edge is still more than 50% intact.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Nick W, phew that is good to know that there is plenty of life them, i got all the tuning gear so will do them myself so shouldnt need machine grinds. they are the SL race ones so should be okay for a while. Im not planning to use them on plastic only snow and have booked my first week with snoworks in december for training.

i am planning on going to have a look at brentwood to see what it is all about so please PM your details so we can meet up.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, GrahamN is going to Brentwood on 30th June but the ERSA race for me isn't till 30 September.
However we are both off to Welwyn this Sunday along with ski and gsb (any others snowHead )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick W, im not planning on skiing at brentwood but just want to check out what is going on as never have been to a race before, might even be on the hunt for a helmet

cant make welwyn as at national netball finals for my little one
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, you are aware though that the December Snoworks week is GS, not SL (i.e. targetteed towards Eurotest not TT) - for which I'd really advise you have GS skis not SL? I think they only run one SL week, right at the beginning of Nov.

See you at Brentwood then (as it looks like that Tele day is not happening) - and ski should be there as well. I'll PM you my name and start number when it's published (Weds before the race), although it'll shouldn't be difficult to work it out from the LSERSA website Wink .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, spoke with Emma today and she said in addtion to the november SL week the first week of december will be slalom for TT.

shame about the tele day but perhaps in september as mentioned. let me know your (and any other snowheads) number and i will say hello
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, ooh - that's interesting - I have a week to use up sometime this year. Did the GS course last year, but would have preferred SL, and the November dates don't suit, but that Dec might Very Happy . Maybe take a bit of persuasion to convince Emma C-A I'm a pseudo-pro though Shocked Wink.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm no expert, but why not use diamond stones to keep your edges sharp? I'd say loads less wear on the edge than using a file all the time...

regards,

Greg
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
Maybe take a bit of persuasion to convince Emma C-A I'm a pseudo-pro though Shocked Wink.

I might be wrong, but I think to be in Emma's group you need a BASI qualification. Best check with her before making any plans.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, i have never run a gate before and she said "i would be in at the deep end" but was okay with me joining the group, i would imaging you would be fine having race experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, what are the dates of your course? There's a possibility I'll do the Trainee Instructor course at the beginning of December, but if I don't do that I'll want to ski gates.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, You should get yourself a Helmet with chin guard, Armoured Gloves, Shin Guards, Forearm Guards and some decent Insurance. You will get battered.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 7-06-07 23:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
[... Skin Guards ...

Shin guards would be useful as well.

Sorry, couldn't resist Wink
snow report
rob@rar, Edited, mind you if you race on plastic, skin guards aren't such a bad idea. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, absolutely. While experimenting with start lubricants yesterday evening ( Shocked ) I got a bit tangled up and made a spectacular faceplant. Very glad I was wearing the full works even for gateless training! Came out with a minor graze and a slightly sore knee and neck.
snow conditions
rob@rar, 3-7 december but she said it will be a few weeks before they lock everything down and finalise numbers of people snowHead , more the merrier i recon
snow conditions
Spyderman, ive got a helmet i never wear for normal skiing (a cool giro 9) and of course it is completely unsuitable for racing as it doesnt have a chin guard so i will have to buy more gear... instead of new gloves am thinking of getting some boxing gloves in order to save my thumbs....
ski holidays
skimottaret, I can probably source you a Giro race helmet. Maybe some Armour too.
latest report
skimottaret, I don't bother with a chin guard. I have a Briko helmet that I used to just use for GS until the rules changed to require helmets for SL too.

I'm a similar height to you. Any angulation and your head is a long way away from the pole.
snow conditions
rjs, interesting about the chin guard.. I am tempted to just use a normal helmet as what am hearing you only get hit in the face when you fall and if i have goggles and a helmet on my face is the least of my worries in a big crash. must you wear a helmet on dry slope racing as well?

Spyderman, I might be interested, second hand or new helmet? I got some hip and tailbone protection so am sorted on that. might go for an armour shirt from forcefield but havent decided yet.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
I'm no expert, but why not use diamond stones to keep your edges sharp? I'd say loads less wear on the edge than using a file all the time...

regards,

Greg

A chrome file is about £8 while a diamond one is about £25 and wears out quite quickly when used in a guide. It gets to a point where it is easier to accept wear on the ski as being cheaper. Of course this then means getting newer skis more regularly Laughing
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
Spyderman, absolutely. While experimenting with start lubricants yesterday evening ( Shocked ) I got a bit tangled up and made a spectacular faceplant. Very glad I was wearing the full works even for gateless training! Came out with a minor graze and a slightly sore knee and neck.

Take it easy; we expect you in tip top condition for Sunday. I trust they were all clear lubricants and were all applied to the skis not to you Laughing
For what it's worth we will be using graphite Polar X with Zardoz on that and a final layer of Bartlett's grease lightning (unless it's a wet race in which case I shall use an anchor).
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, 3-7 december but she said it will be a few weeks before they lock everything down and finalise numbers of people snowHead , more the merrier i recon

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind if the BASI thing doesn't work out.
ski holidays
Nick W,
Quote:

I trust they were all clear lubricants

Does this mean you can't use Mr Sheen ?
ski holidays
[quote="ski"][b]Nick W[/b],
[quote]
I trust they were all clear lubricants
[/quote]

Does this mean you can't use Mr Sheen ?[/quote]

and re helmets and chinguards.....skimottaret... if you've not done much racing before, a chinguard is probably a good thing.... rjs is correct that 'if you have enough angulation'.., you're head will be a long way from the gate......'if you have enough angula....' Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
ski, fair point IF is a big word
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, The gloop policing at Welwyn is quite hot but I would have thought Mr Sheen would be ok. It's the Ideal blue and yellow they really kick up about. In any case you are only two places after me in the start gate so you can have some of the local potion.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I also think a chin guard is a good idea. rjs may be good enough to not need one, but I every now and again end up headbutting a pole out of the way; it's normally taken by the body of the helmet, but the chinguard is reassuring. Also (FWIW) re your December course, I think you'd be able to get much more out of it with a few months training under your belt first - from my own experience each 6 months training has given me a step change in my technical skiing ability (although I no doubt started from a much lower level than where you are now). I've clearly not seen you ski so have no grounds for comment eiher way in your case, but I've seen several '3's who would have no chance at all coming cold into a slalom course. On the other hand though, seeing Philip Stanton ski did very much restore my faith in what a 3 should ski like.

Anyway, you've got plenty of time to think about this, and we can talk about all this and you'll see what different stuff everyone uses on the 30th. (BTW I've no ski qualifications at all, but ski is a '2')

Nick W, we tried Zardoz, Clearglide and Tescos Value Washing-up liquid. The Clearglide and Tescos were noticeably faster at the start, with the Clearglide shading it (but £2/litre rather than 13p/litre), but with noticeably lower edgehold so you really got punished if less than precise on your edge angles. Interestingly, you could feel the effect of both disappearing quite rapidly after about 30m (which was when I took the nosedive). The Zardoz was not as fast at the start, but the edgehold was better - and most improtantly you could still feel it sliding much better at the end of the 100m run. BTW the misting was not working on the slope that evening so the surface was quite sticky and the skis were definitely burning at the end of runs with no extra lubricant. I'll be waxing with a mix of Polar-X and Zardoz, and probably try throwing some C4 graphite into the mix as well.

Interesting to see that as the tyros in 'that' event we're all starting pretty much together.
snow report
GrahamN, pass me my anorak Embarassed We found that (since misting never happens in this neck of the woods) you need a gloop for the first few yards but then the zardoz to keep you going thereafter; hence the cocktail approach.
See you Sunday; off practicing tonight at Hemel on a timed course (they are putting it up as lots of peeps are doing two CN's this weekend).
ski holidays
By the way; all this is in the wrong thread isn't it. We should be in the summer racing slot!!
latest report
GrahamN, i havent yet got into the habit of wearing my helmet everyday and i typically only put it on when going off piste. Which is quite silly as the reason i bought it was i have been knocked twice out but both times were on piste. So, probably should be safe and get a chin guard race helmet.

Does anyone pitch up at these events selling helmets and guards?

In terms of my ability Spyderman has seen me ski so could comment. Out of the 20 in the Instructor training group i did i would put myself around 7th with the youngsters with club racing experience clearly better than me.

I dont think i would stand a chance coming in cold and to be honest i am not all that keen on dry slope racing for lots of reasons (injury, time committment, trashing skis, having to apply potions, etc) but am planning to start weekly training on thursday nights once the golf season is over in september. May also start doing some training at MK as i am hoping to start teaching there part time soon.
snow report
Nick W, Thanks !
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

Does anyone pitch up at these events selling helmets and guards?

Bartlett's do.

IMHO - race training is the BEST thing you can do on plastic to improve your skiing Shocked
latest report
ski, i would agree i am just worried about injuries as the only two falls i have had on plastic have both resulted in sprained thumbs.

I think i have spent more time skiing backward ploughs on plastic so going forwards through gates would make a nice change Laughing
snow report
skimottaret,

Sprained thumbs do occur Sad - but not THAT regularly wink. If you are preparing for BASI exams I think a slalom course will get you skiing much more dynamically than snowploughing backwards ! Laughing
snow report
GrahamN wrote:
...but I every now and again end up headbutting a pole out of the way; it's normally taken by the body of the helmet, but the chinguard is reassuring.

And to bear that out, today's courses were very straight and involved quite a bit of poling between gates to keep up maximum speed. Didn't always get the timing of block-pole-block-etc right, and must have headbutted my way through well over 10 poles during the day Shocked Laughing .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy