Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

compensation for technique???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar, I skied the Swiss Wall in Avoriaz on my Dynastar Omeglass 156cm. Talk about hard work, I was destroyed at the bottom.

I used to have a pair of Head WC slalmom skis which were 155. I couldn't ski on them for more than a couple of days without getting exhausted. I just wasn't man enough to tame them!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM wrote:
there are several good skis out there at a price of £300- £350 ish

You pay THAT MUCH for skis!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Yep, those World Cup wooses only manage 60 seconds at a time. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll jump in here with out having time to read all this through.

I ended up on a cheap pair of 2mtr Course GS and I could just about handle them on nice forgiving pistes. They tanked along and I got quite whizzy on them until I HAD to turn them in tighter situations and they were too much for me. Now I am more skilled, IMV, I don't have any trouble jumping on hi-spec skis so if a ski is deemed expert, well, I have handled enough of them before not to be too concerned. But when these skis have a rider that says you need to be a powerful technical skier...well, what does that mean...?? Stocklis are supposed to be uncompromising but at what point of the skill level does that description have any relevance? Now I know that I can handle stiff skis upto about 190 and I weigh in at 80-85kgs so I am careful to not bite off too much as I need to be able to bend them.

When I hire a ski, I'll talk to the tech and tell him what I want to do... I don't overstate my requirements but tell him I think I'm a reasonable slier and then qualify it a bit more. Bearing in mind that the tech is probably local and has been skiing since the age of 3 and a junior racer etc etc, I am not out to impress him... rolling eyes
He generally puts a ski my way and I either know something about it or decide to take a punt. I have given him my deatils in good faith and I'll take his recommendation the same way. I don't expect to be given a wildly inapproprate ski and can't remener the last time I got one. Most techs have turned me onto a good ski and therefore 'educated' me on something I hadn't considered before. This year it was the Mantra and that is now the ski I'll seek out, other success stories have been the BD series and Movement spark...all better skis than the wishlist I started out with this year.

The more you know and try different skis, the more you can build up a picture of the buzz words and what the attributes actually mean but there is no real substitute for trying them. As I have gotten better, I am no longer fazed by what a ski is supposed to do but my experience is that it is not so good to have a ski that is too far ahead of your ability. But then again, I think skis are more forgivable across the range these days so you can be intermediate skier and ski an advanced-expert ski, the marketeers know this and will charge for people's vanity.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I think skis are more forgivable across the range these days so you can be intermediate skier and ski an advanced-expert ski, the marketeers know this and will charge for people's vanity.

Right on! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM wrote:
graeme wrote:
does it matter? why not buy what you want to buy? without other trying to find any reasoning behind it.

ok you do that, by why spend more than you need to???, i seem to remember you were always looking for the deal of the century...... so if 2 hours lessons would change your technique to a point that enabled you ski a lower spec ski better then would you not want to save possibly £100+ ...if not just carry on as before, me i am just trying to look into the reasons why people do what they do Little Angel

i want the gear i want at the cheapest possible price, please note, the gear i choose to buy, not what some appointed expert determines i should use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM I suspect the humour on this thread underlines your own own opinions !

i.e - Boots & Lessons to Go, Skis for Show Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is no thing as a bad ski. How ever, buying the wrong colour is punishable by bad nasty things.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy