Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are some people incapable of becoming competent skiers?

Poster: A snowHead
I know one person who's had lots of good tuition and doesn't appear to have progressed beyond barely-linked traverses on blues. Most people I've seen with similar amounts of tuition have come on leaps and bounds, certainly able to get around a large resort on piste (if mainly avoiding the steepest blacks and moguls).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc,

I think we just have different perspectives... my aunt retired at 65 and proceeded to go to university.. getting first a degree and then her Masters degree in philosophy... Not my cup of tea but obviously something she finds a worthwhile challenge... me i'd prefer to be surfing and skiing at 70...

My mother did a computer course well into her 70's -just a users course but hey.. for her a challenge as she cannot change the time on the microwave clock....

and just do not ask about my grandmother... she raised 4 kids on her own in a country where the language spoken was her third... then ran her own business, married a roman catholic czech orphan despite being heraself a mormon, grew all her own fruit and veg, survived uterine cancer back in the 1940's (only one in the ward to walk out, and the ward glowed at night from the radium rods they used to put in patients), raised the ducks chickens and rabbits she ate, got her licence at around 60, then drove 800km to visit her sister - hailing a truck driver to ask for help re the gears when she had a fight with her husband over which gear you used to go uphill - travelled repeatedly back to her home country of Samoa at >70..., etc etc and died at 97 having been mentally competent until a couple of months before her death...

Oh somewhere in there she learnt smatterings of spanish, italian, and goodness knows what else too... she was never a give up and lay down to die sort... I think that is where my aunts all get it from... they are collectively known as "the dragons" for good reason
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
rpft wrote:
rob@rar, how often do you ski?

The last couple of seasons I've been very fortunate to ski a lot, around 50 days.

Do the maths people if you are dedicated enough and prepared to make other sacrifices you can achieve this:

5 weeks holiday a year + weekend each end = 5 x 9 days = 45 days

Xmas Day Boxing day + weekend = 4 days

New year weekend = 3 days

Easter = 4 days

May day weekend = 3 days

So maybe the question to other snowheads with full time jobs is why aren't we all hitting 59 days a year? wink

Ans: Family, spouse, poor planning , summer holidays etc. Teachers have no excuse, you have 6 weeks to go to South America or NZ every year for a start. wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 23-05-07 20:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, what about the limitation of cash? Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spikyhedgehog,

there are ways to decrease costs....

In australia by skiing around 50 days a season on a season pass it effectively costs me <$10 a day for lift tickets
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

If a person wants to learn, and is going to good instructors, but is not improving, is it possibly because they have reached the limits of their ability?

In other words, they are incapable of going further.

If not, everyone on here would be Olympic gold medalist (or at least ex-world cup instructors)

Even if you go to the very top of the game - above Fastman and the rest, onto the actual current world cup circuit - why is it that some skiers on that circuit are normally in the top 10, while others struggle to get into the top 30 - is it because they don't want to? No! It's because at the time, they are not capable of it. They WANT TO win, but they are INCAPABLE of winning.
'swat I said, only longer:
Quote:

I think there may come a point at which people stop progressing, they reach their peak in other words: it's again like any other learned skill, for instance not everyone who learns the piano to really quite a high level is good enough to become a concert pianist, and not everyone who skis can actually win races (step forward - on your little rebuilt feet - Chemmy Alcott!)

Ho hum, nobody ever listens to anything I say. Maybe I need to take lessons from Lizzard on presentation. There again...rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

fatbob, what about the limitation of cash?

And the distraction of other hobbies... (both in time and funds)

OK! Even I can hear I sound like a broken record. I'm repeating myself too much... there's life besides skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, but it's not about what we think, remember! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
Quote:

fatbob, what about the limitation of cash?

And the distraction of other hobbies... (both in time and funds)

OK! Even I can hear I sound like a broken record. I'm repeating myself too much... there's life besides skiing!

Wasn't suggesting that there wasn't but I'd say rob isn't "lucky" just particularly dedicated to what I am guessing is his main hobby. Remember some people give up more "traditional" careers, move 1000s of miles away from family, retrain as ski pros etc to follow their skiing dreams.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob,

yeah exactly... rob is not "lucky" but obsessed... I know because I'm a little that way as well... you do not ski 50-70 days in an australian season with a LOT of sacrifice...

I spent a whole chunk of 1 summer working on my roller-blading miles... so I could improve my skiing... worked a treat... but the nervous stress that cost me ... the effort it required to stick those skates on 3 days a week... and then do my homework... arrggghhh .... and the lessons when I would drive the 3.5 hours to my instructor - I spent more time squealing than you'd believe....

In return my balance and co-ordination improved a lot as I developed feedback circuits I had not had... I can now climb through toilet windows and not FALL DOWN(or give up due to lack of ability to balance on window ledge)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger, Now I know you're a masochist! It's really much, much easier to access toilet through door, honestly! wink wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger wrote:
yeah exactly... rob is not "lucky" but obsessed...

I prefer to think of myself as 'keen' Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar,

keen is when you ask a girl for a date...

You're stark raving fanatical just accept it Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger wrote:
rob@rar,

keen is when you ask a girl for a date...

You're stark raving fanatical just accept it Wink

Maybe, but the really dedicated people have taken major professional/personal decisions and moved to the mountains. In the Fanatical League they are much higher than amateurs like me Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

but it's not about what we think

What isn't Puzzled
latest report
no such thing as a bad pupil in my book. Everybody learns in different ways, we as ski teachers have to unlock the potential!
latest report
laundryman wrote:
I know one person who's had lots of good tuition and doesn't appear to have progressed beyond barely-linked traverses on blues. Most people I've seen with similar amounts of tuition have come on leaps and bounds, certainly able to get around a large resort on piste (if mainly avoiding the steepest blacks and moguls).

Those who can't ski should quit.

And take up snowboarding.

It is much easier.

Any doofus can look good on a tray.
latest report
Whitegold, not this bloke - trust me! Laughing
snow report
euangoneskiing,

That would be my take on it... if your PROFESSION is teaching people to ski then expecting student to conform to YOUR teaching method seems a tad weird... because surely part of teaching is to adapt to the STUDENTS...

Having said that I tend to learn better when I leave the agenda to the instructor rather than trying to tell them what I think I need to learn... My job is to learn it as well as I can theirs to find how to teach me best and to decide what I MOST need to learn... (there are many aspects to that bit)
ski holidays
fatbob, you're not trying hard enough. 2 seasons ago I got 57 days skiing taking only 14 days annual leave. You have to start early (2rd December, Les Gets, one man made run open), finish late (Avoriaz closing weekend) and be prepared to become very familiar with Gatwick Airport (at least there's a Yo Sushi! now).

I response to the question, I think anyone (assume reasonably able bodied, reasonably fit mind and body) can become competent (say S&R scale 7 or so if we must) with adequate practice, decication, motivation and instruction.
latest report
David Murdoch, How reasonable is reasonable and does age come into the equation?
latest report
The answer to the question is . . . yes. But then I don't think that's the idea behind the question, which is a good one. For physical or mental reasons, it doesn't really matter, yes there are. There's a whole world of skiers occupying the range between crap and expert skier. Where a given person ends up in that range is down to a lot of things, I'm not quite sure where decication is in there David Murdoch, but primarily it's down to sporting ability, amount of time spent skiing, tuition and whatever goes on in your head. Continuing to think and act when it gets sketchy or all goes pear shaped is the ultimate differentiator.
latest report
Nickski,
Quote:

Continuing to think and act when it gets sketchy or all goes pear shaped is the ultimate differentiator.
Very, very true of any skill, I reckon, especially if speed has to be maintained - cooking and music-making in my personal experience. And I can imagine lots of others eg brain surgery.
ski holidays
Hurtle, another one to add to that list is skydiving Shocked , as I needed to remember when I did my first freefall!
snow report
GrahamN, Eek. Rather you than me. Shocked
snow report
Hurtle, I agree - I just couldn't do the jumping out of the plane thing. On the other hand if they could take me up dangling under the aircraft with the parachute already open and then drop me I'd probably be OK (assuming I could cope with the dangle bit!!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy