Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody else holding back on booking Christmas/New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
I was speaking to a headmaster last year who said they don't mind the kids being out for 2 weeks but any more than that and they wanted an idea of what supplementary eductaion was being put in place during their absence. He was also only 2 years retired and could not believe how little it was now costing him to take holidays Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The way I like at it, as a breeder, is one of my kids may solve global warming and/or perfect snow making anywhere - allowing me to ski where and when I want.

I therefore see it as my duty to take them skiing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish wrote:
After last year's ice-fest in Saalbach, we are waiting to see where the snow is before thinking of booking. Or was last year just an unfortunate freak of warmness and snowlessness?

snowHead

Don't worry, book early.

The golden rule applies. Head high. The village should be above at least 1800m.

Pick a big resort with plenty of snowguns and perhaps a glacier.

Val Thorens, Tignes and Val d'Isere should top the list.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold, good to see you back.

Your posts are short and to the point.

Sometimes they are controversial.

But they are never dull.

Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, Add Les Deux Alpes to your list Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And despite being at 1500m and not 1800 you could ski back down to Monetier village at Christmas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be honest, it depends what you want from your skiing...

If all you want is pistes, and you dont need deep powder, most modern, reasonably high resorts will do as snow gun coverage is getting bigger and bigger and hopefully it will be cold enough to keep them running... Yes, it will be icy, but skiing is a sport Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Whitegold wrote:

Slightly misleading advice though. I'd much rather book early for Zermatt (village at 1600m, vast area above 2000m topping out at almost 4000m) than Avoriaz (village at 1850m topping out at 2400).

Plus early season 05/06, the low grassy slopes of Gets and Morzine were better than the high rocky slopes of Avoriaz, ie. cold but limited snowfall means think again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am going where Boredsurfin is going (Montalbert for those who couldn't guess). Despite having had our place for 2 Christmases this will be the first one actually spent there. With a one year old in tow it should be a great first Christmas in the mountians!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Slightly misleading advice though. I'd much rather book early for Zermatt (village at 1600m, vast area above 2000m topping out at almost 4000m) than Avoriaz (village at 1850m topping out at 2400).

Plus early season 05/06, the low grassy slopes of Gets and Morzine were better than the high rocky slopes of Avoriaz, ie. cold but limited snowfall means think again.

There is nothing worse than a green Christmas.

The higher you go, the whiter it gets.

Head high. As high as possible.

1800m is the minimum threshhold now in early season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
Whitegold, good to see you back.

Your posts are short and to the point.

Sometimes they are controversial.

But they are never dull.

Very Happy

Thanks, Laundryman. It is good to be back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Whitegold, Add Les Deux Alpes to your list Very Happy

Classic Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is the point that higher tends to mean rockier. You need a lot more snow at altitude to cover the rocks. In recent years Austria has been a better bet for Christmas, but last year wasn't. When I showed my stone-scratched skis to the guy in the shop in Mottaret at Feb half-term, he said it was just the same in the 3V.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, Always willing to help such an acknowledged world authority as your good self rolling eyes Laughing . My suggestion was completely serious with shedfulls of skiing between 2100 and 3600m Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Storms and bad weather are not rare early season. Personally I would prefer to spend Xmas, New Year in a place with some tree lined skiing and a bit of character with a slight risk of poor snow than a characterless concrete jungle like Tignes / Val Thorens where if the storms brew up there is sod all to do. Plenty of places with a good snow record and even glaciers that have a bit more to offer than these Tarentaise monstrorsities. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
There is the point that higher tends to mean rockier. You need a lot more snow at altitude to cover the rocks. In recent years Austria has been a better bet for Christmas, but last year wasn't. When I showed my stone-scratched skis to the guy in the shop in Mottaret at Feb half-term, he said it was just the same in the 3V.

snowHead

Better to be snowy and rocky than snowless.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Whitegold, Always willing to help such an acknowledged world authority as your good self rolling eyes Laughing . My suggestion was completely serious with shedfulls of skiing between 2100 and 3600m Very Happy

Frosty -- I would not recommend LDA in early season. The village is too low.
latest report
Whitegold, You are surreal ! But welcome back .... your style will guarantee viewing figures over the snowy sunny months snowHead
ski holidays
I tend to use the bus in the village.
latest report
Mouth, and I'll be in Monetier. NO-ONE is going to stop me being there this Christmas
snow report
 brian
brian
Agenterre, that's one word for it. I'd tend to favour barking myself, but there you go Laughing
snow report
brian, Your judgment is undoubtedly better than mine ..... but the outcome we would probably agree on Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, woof woof!! Razz Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy