Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody else holding back on booking Christmas/New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
After last year's ice-fest in Saalbach, we are waiting to see where the snow is before thinking of booking. Or was last year just an unfortunate freak of warmness and snowlessness?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm a big believer for early season waitng and seeing where the best snow is, for New Year though a lot of the good resorts sell out. It really is the peak time and when I go then I book in advance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Or was last year just an unfortunate freak of warmness and snowlessness?

There've been many Christmas/New Year periods with pretty poor snow. It's far from the best time to go, but if you have to go then, book to go high. We have our own apartment, in a place with a good snow record, but we don't go out till early Jan, when the crowds have gone. We do "swaps" for New Year, with fellow owners who need school holiday times. Then we have their apartment in mid January, or mid March!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, That is exactly the dilemma! If you don't book, you don't get in, but you need to be sure the white stuff is going to be in town.

I think more people will hold back this year.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish, No - I am booked.... in North America... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish, depends on how many of you are travelling - can normally wait to the beginning of December before booking resort if only 2 of you going. Granted, you won't get pick of the accommodation but worth the gamble to find reasonable snow conditions.

That said I am already booked for next Christmas & New Year but that was to use my airmiles for flights to Vancouver.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish, already booked in Mottaret, just waiting for Eurostar to come out with tickets snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Already booked just need to decide if we're going out on December 15 or 16th Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have been before and never had a problem, however thinking twice about advance booking for this year. We were in Vallandry last Xmas and had plenty of skiing, but could have been better.

I'm tempted to be extremley naughty and go 5 Jan and take the kids out of school wink Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris,
Quote:

I'm tempted to be extremley naughty and go 5 Jan and take the kids out of school

Do it, Skking gives them experience of another country another language, exercise, travel etc etc snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, Given they'll be in Reception and Year 2 - I think I can get away with out them missing out too much. It will broaden their mind - its just tough that it'll be half the price of the previous few weeks Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm holding back to see where the early snow falls (in North America). Wouldn't really consider Europe unless my main priority was a holiday rather than skiing based on prior experiences.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'm tempted to be extremley naughty and go 5 Jan and take the kids out of school

I'm afraid we always did this. I know it raises lots of hackles but they hardly ever missed any school other than for family holidays, and they all passed all their exams. (My middle son has a First Class degree in Artificial Intelligence but perhaps it is my fault for taking him on ski holidays that he has spent most of the last two winters being a chef in Val D'Isere...). We always asked for permission in advance, and always got it (state schools; how anyone can afford private schools AND ski holidays is quite beyond me).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I don't have a problem with it personally - certainly not in early years of Primary. However, it is one of those topics here which sharply divides opinion
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boris, pam w, difficult - we always got permission - until last year when the mucking sods refused it. So we went in anycase. But this year going over xmas and new year. I think the extra money is worth it to avoid some of the family contact we might otherwise have to have.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm afraid we always did this. I know it raises lots of hackles ... We always asked for permission in advance, and always got it

Never understand why ("raises lots of hackles"). Shouldn't parents have the final say on how their children are educated (skiing vs. classes, etc.)? Why would any teacher NOT give the permission?
latest report
We've got our dates reserved at our place for Christmas and New Year. We took our kids out of school on a few occasions, but you can't do that if you're a teacher like Chris Bish. The best week for snow, (but often cold) was the last week in January.
snow report
Chris Bish, we're going to book for Ischgl again and hope it'll be at least as good as last Christmas. We can't leave it to the last minute with 8 of us and we can't not go skiing at Christmas snowHead
ski holidays
abc,
Quote:

Shouldn't parents have the final say on how their children are educated (skiing vs. classes, etc.)?

Totally agree with this, as do the majority of teachers I know . There are always some though who think nanny knows best. rolling eyes
snow report
abc, disruptive to rest of class for group projects, being behind when they come back etc

Generally schools will give permission if you ask - if you go in any case then its trauncy and counts against them.

Like stoatsbrother, I like going over Xmas to avoid Xmas. However there are many people who have to have holidays when work lets them - if that's in term time then the kids are coming
snow conditions
Boris, Ah, Primary school, our youngest is in year 6. We always write and ask and the Head always agree's but apologises for handing us the standard snot-o-gram letter from County Hall about taking Children out of School in term time rolling eyes
The eldest is at secondary school which is positive about the benefits of a ski holiday and wish our Daughter and us a happy holiday. School fee's are paid in advance wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

you can't do that if you're a teacher like Chris Bish

Indeed not, I didn't realise he was a teacher. My daughter's boyfriend is a teacher, and she starts a PGCE teaching course in September, so they are probably in for a lifetime of peak time holidays. Still, you can't feel TOO sorry for teachers about holidays, can you? My Dad always took his holidays in term time, in theory because it wasn't possible for all the senior managers to be away at the same time, but actually because he hated crowds of other people's kids (he wasn't brilliant at putting up with his own, but had no choice about that). We always got taken out of school, I missed the entire end of year exams one year, in about Form 3 of secondary school. Never did me any harm. That was always summer holidays, generally camping in Scotland (there were times, when the midges and/or the weather were particularly bad, when school exams almost seemed like a more attractive way of spending the time). Never any prospect of ski holidays.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
There are always some though who think nanny knows best. rolling eyes

How true!

I remember when I was in high school, my Dad asked for permission to take me out of school to do some hiking. And one of the teacher said "but she's going to miss school work!". Dad was so taken aback the words jumped out of his mouth "I think she'll learn a lot more in that time with ME than she would with you!" Shocked

He immediately starting to apologize and in general making matters worse... wink But then the other teachers also realized he just spoke the truth, taboo it may have been.
ski holidays
pam w, my Dad was a teacher, so we had a childhood of crowded beaches etc. Now he is retired, and was looking forward to quieter times, however they seem to be permanently childminding my young nieces. rolling eyes
latest report
My parents took me out for 4 weeks when I was 12 and we went to NZ and Australia. We had an interview with the head and he rather insensitively said that it would be nice to ba able to afford such a holiday. My Dad replied to the effect that if the head got a full time job then he too should be able to afford it. We still went on holiday Very Happy

To the thread. The kids like Christmas at home and New Year is too much money for potentially no snow.
latest report
The school took my sister out of lessons on several occasions to run on the cross country team. When she refused to compete at a weekend race out of school time they retaliated by banning her from the school ski trip!! It wasn't until 10 years later that she finally got to ski.
snow conditions
Quote:

The kids like Christmas at home

Yes, ours do too, and seeing their cousins, and we generally like to have a family get together at Christmas (for which our apartment is MUCH too small, and renting others too expensive). I think it's too much money for risk of poor snow too. We did spend our first Christmas out there, with two of the kids. The weather and the snow was horrible, (2002) but we had so many flat packs to erect, and curtain rails etc to put up that we didn't really care. My son flew home early, switching his easyJet flight at some additional expense, to put in some long days working over New Year and earn some money, then came back later in January when the snow was great. New Year is the worst time of the season to ski, I reckon. Horribly crowded, at least in French resorts, generally poor snow cover and short, dark, cold days. Not that Christmas/New Year 2002 was cold; as far as I can remember it rained to over 2000m. I was making curtains so I didn't pay much attention.... It's a pity that schools aren't taking Easter holidays at Easter next year; that would be a great time for school teachers to ski.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
After last year's ice-fest in Saalbach, we are waiting to see where the snow is before thinking of booking. Or was last year just an unfortunate freak of warmness and snowlessness? snowHead

We are definately going to book last minute, & probably for all our trips, not just Xmas.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, how I wish we could. Even without kids it is impossible, as we need locum cover, and I need to keep dates free in my diary. Crying or Very sad
snow report
I think parents who take their kids out of school are incredibly selfish - I purposely avoid booking my holidays to clash with school holidays to ensure that there are plenty of vacancies available to those who need to take their holidays during the 14 or so weeks each year.....yet here you all are blatantly throwing my kind, selfless gesture back in my face and booking slots which could be used by those of us without kids....and then spend time moaning over dinner that my conversation is a little saucy in front of the little 'uns....

You'll be moaning when I light up a cigarette whilst enjoying a nice relaxing pint soon too....

Twisted Evil
snow report
Guvnor, rolling eyes
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I took 2 weeks off in both my 4th and 5th years at high school (exam years, disgrace, etc) to go climbing/summer skiing in Austria and climbing/kayaking in Sutherland. I think it should be up to parents to decide if their kids can handle it or not. Luckily mine (who are both ex-teachers) reckoned it'd be ok. Very Happy

We did Xmas last year because we'd just taken possession of our new apartment, snow was great quality but a bit short in quantity. Mind you if I hadn't been on my own new skis it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

Next year we're doing Feb half term and 1st week in April but hoping there's enough early snow for a cheeky pre-xmas weekend.
ski holidays
Quote:

a cheeky pre-xmas weekend

Yes, that's the idea. I had a fantastic, cheap, snowy, last minute 4 days in Meribel one mid-December. Also a good Snoworks course in Tignes, booked pretty last minute too. It seems like a real bonus to get that time in, when nothing sensible is happening here and you miss some of that mindless commercial Christmas rubbish with everyone asking "have you finished your Christmas shopping" when you haven't even started.
ski holidays
I think that maybe the government should step in, and stop any TO's offering cut price rates for children outside of school holidays....
latest report
why not just book the flights and wait and see where the best snow is,also go for christmas because if the snow is poor it wont have been trashed by the new year hordes,also if you live in the north of scotland then the weather in France is so much brighter and the days much longer than the pish we have here at christmas!
latest report
To be honest when I have been at xmas/ new year I have been pretty lucky with the snow. I reckon that a lot of places are more likely to have good conditions than poor at this time of the year but you can be unlucky.
snow conditions
One thing for sure, they'll be less snow at christmas above 2100m than there is now !

http://www.snoweye.com/?page=fr-tarentaise&detail=valdisere&big=162
snow conditions
Nope, we booked for xmas in Zermatt (again) at the end of Feb!
ski holidays
Guvnor,

Some sound points - after all its the non-breeders who are doing their bit for saving the planet by not creating extra consumers so they might at least be allowed as many non peak weeks they want -travelling by air, Hummer etc in peace and quiet wink
ski holidays
Hintertux for christmas. Its gunna be amazing. Well can only get better after last season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy