Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Racing - 2007

Poster: A snowHead
A bit wet, muddy and cold at The Vikings last weekend but all part of the adventure. Young carrosa had a new experience, falling over on his first run at gate 4. He managed to record a time but obviously not too hot. This made me think. How do you prepare for run 2? Make sure you finish, even though you could do with a good time or go for it and put the bad one behind you ?

Anyway young carrosa went for the "make sure I get past gate 4 and then go for it" option ... phew.. he made it down and shaved 6 seconds off his first run. Run 3 was time to go for it but unfiortunately he hit gate 10 hard and it slowed him down in the final third coming in a bit slower than run 2.

Young carrosa and young NickW teamed up for the dual slaloms and made the final ( beaten by Norfolk in the final but they are VERY good). To me this is real racing, brings out the competetive spirit and is great fun to watch and cheer!

Looking forward to the sun, hopefully, in Norwich in a couple of weeks and then off for high altitude training in the alps ( well ok a holdiay )

easiski, I know an easiski in Morzine, do you?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carrosa, Young carrosa already has a reputation for going for it wink amongst the Hemel faithful so I suspect that might be the best call. For young NickW its usually a call to go smooth as his style is suited to that approach. If he forces it he looses a lot of time which is what often happens to him on run 2 or 3. Lately I have just stayed out of it (difficult as a parent Laughing ) and let him make the call. The worst of it is that he is now giving me advice Evil or Very Mad and even worse than that, he's right Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carrosa, Nick W, Look forward to welcoming you to Norfolk. Nick W, watched your runs yesterday including your Harvey Smith moment from the shelter of my tent!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like we all had a fairly successful weekend. My race was SRSA at Bromley, which is normally far more of an LSERSA slope. So the course was a bit of a step up for this series (which are normally VERY easy), with a far more LSERSA feel to it. A couple of simple offsets to start off, a hairpin, a couple of more turny gates on the first roller, leading into a three-element flush to the second roller and another couple of turny ones to finish. Still nothing like CN, but a bit more to get your teeth into. I had a good first run down, getting into 3rd place in our agegroup - which had a huge entry of 14 competitors (although one no-show hurt)!. Was a bit surprised at this as by handguard had slipped a bit on an early gate, so one finger was outside it, so I spent most of the run trying to make sure I didn't clout any poles with that finger rather than worrying what the skis were doing. As this was my fastest run of the day, it sounds like I may have the same problem as NickW junior Wink - overworking the skis. The second run felt technically much more secure, but was 3/10ths slower (see previous sentence Sad ) - but most second runs were a bit slower as the sun came out and the slope must have been drying. Almost matched the first run with the third, but was pipped by 4/100ths for third place by the course-setter (who had skied out on his first run Toofy Grin ). Still 1/10th covered places 2-4, with the guy in 5th another 2/10th further back, and I beat both ski's colleagues by about half a second (he himself had some pathetic excuse about not being let out to play as he had some fingerpainting to do, or something like that)...it would just have been nicer to have been that 1/10th quicker. The agegroup leader though finished with a mystifyingly quick last run - his tails were sliding all over the place on pretty much every turn and he looked quite zig-zaggy, so I have no ideas how he managed to slice 4/10th off of his previous fastest time and be over half a second ahead of the rest of us.

In the overall rankings, I was a few percent down on the overall leader compared to two weeks ago, but it was a more technical course so that's sort of to be expected. I re-overtook one guy who'd overtaken me in the previous race, overhauled two others (including my training partner/rival Very Happy ) and got overtaken by a couple more. So good consolidation, and laid a bit of the jinx I've had with some really disappointing times here in my previous races. Was hoping for a little more improvement with the new skis, as the cornering felt way more secure, but I clearly need a little more time to work out where I can push them harder and where I can be lighter.

Nick W, it sounds like I'm the extreme opposite to you. I often think it would be interesting to find out what the commentary is saying as I'm coming down, but I hear almost nothing except the noise my skis are making on the matting; I hardly even hear the clatter of the poles (unless I screw up). It's also irritating that I frequently don't even register the time as it's broadcast - so keep on asking "what was that?". I also like putting myself in the gate rather than being put in as the activity stops me over-thinking the first few gates - I've probably done enough of that prior to getting going.

This concentration on the course sort of bit me though in the parallel slalom in the afternoon. This was again a bit more interesting that our previous courses - a flush in the middle with a few more turly gates to finish. Each of my three opponents actually skied out at about the first roller, quite surprising as two of them had home slope advantage - and one was the course-setter again Twisted Evil . Each of them though carried on skiing either in or alongside the course almost exactly level with me, so I could see them out of the corner of my eye, but not well enough to be sure that they were skiing outside the course. I guess I had an idea of what happened to the course-setter from the loud shout of "b0ll0cks" as we entered the flush, but I'd not seen what happened so had to carry on racing. The second race though, I was desperately trying to stay ahead of my opponent as she skied down, while still trying to work out whether she was skiing the course or not, took the final gate too tight and straddled. Unfortunately it seems we don't play by SSE rules here (where I would have been adjudged the winner as I got furthest down the course), and we are both counted as having lost Sad . I think I'm going to have something to say about that Evil or Very Mad .

Saturday should have been good though for one other of our training group, who was in his first race for a couple of years. He learned donkeys years ago, is very old school, resists almost every attempt to get him to move on and was skiing on some 177cm Rossi 95s (but that is an improvement over the 195cm skis he keeps on hankering after). In one of his head-to-heads he was beaten by the 6yo bomber in the shocking pink jumpsuit Shocked Laughing . Do you think he's going to take some stick over that? You betcha! Very Happy Even he was saying after that that he thought it might be time to work out what these carving ski thingys are about.

Oh and looking at Nick W's times, I think Doug should be getting worried - a few more races should get that time down on the first run and then you'll really be nipping at his heels.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, Doug's got till Norwich Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vivski wrote:
sadly I seem unable to stop myself from entering races! At least there aren't any in August so might recover a bit then! Very Happy

There are some indoor races in August on the 18th and 19th at Castleford if you find yourself with cash to spare.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carrosa, The Easiski in Morzine are a chalet company. When I realised I had the same name as them I suggested mutual links on our websites, but they sent me a snotty letter threatening me with legal action instead! Shocked I pointed out that Easiski was essentially a ski teaching method and not a registered company name and that was that. Shame though as we're not incompetition and could have helped each other and our clients. typical of peeps in business I find. rolling eyes

sounds as though a goodly number of Snowheads will be present in Norwich - if you all wear a SH hat you should have quite a good meet. Very Happy Make sure rpft and Richard E know.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, eek - think I'll give that a miss - never really done any racing on snow and the couple of times I did at British unis found it much harder with ruts etc! And I think I need a month off Smile once chill factore is open might have to have a go in whatever club sets up in there Twisted Evil our club were going to try for a few sessions but doubt it'll be a regular thing - sure there'll be a club making it a permanent base tho Very Happy if I can afford the more expensive slope time!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick W, I didn't realise young carrosa was known as a nutter, but recent enquires around chez nous confirm reports. It must be maternal genes Madeye-Smiley .

easiski, glad you're not realted to Morzine easiski, I'm a morzine chaletite also and IMHO twas a lucky escape for you, nuff said
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys - don't forget the British Champs on 15/16 September at Norfolk. Should be 2 days of slalom races, seedpoint cut-off for entrants being 250 pts. Hopefully an invite giving details will be on Britski website sometime soon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowplougher, welcome Very Happy I'm certainly all set to go to the British.... tho it is a hefty trek! Sad but I feel it merits a day off work on the Friday to get there Very Happy my entry will be in as soon as have finished paying for all the July races Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vivski, Snowplougher, I'm hoping to be there. No seed points yet, but I have two chances coming up (Gloucester and So'ton), and should be able to make the cut - if I can just finish a course rolling eyes .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, sounds good - hopefully you'll get the points down at the next couple of races! Be nice to have a bit of a snowHeads contingent at the Brits Very Happy I'm also going to the Soton CN so probably cu there Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, I have every confidence in you, Smile

Speaking as a proud dad, KB is a very happy girl, Very Happy Very Happy the new seed list has just come out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gsb, not surprised that you are a proud dad or that KB is so happy - excellent points on the latest list! Very Happy No such dizzy heights for me, but at least I've now broken under the 200 - hurrah! Very Happy still heading in the right direction for coach's target of 150-175..... got a few races left to try and get there - fingers crossed.
ski holidays
GrahamN, SOunds like you have got to grips with the Dynamics then Very Happy . See you Saturday !
snow report
ski, Good luck to all the snowHead at Brentwood on Sunday. I will await the report with interest. We have two more weeks to practice before the next round in Norwich on 15th July.
snow report
Well (before GrahamN, 's usual essay wink )... it rained - boy did it rain ! As for me, another summer of underachievment continues Evil or Very Mad First run - not on it at all, turning feet rather than carving skis. 2nd better, 3rd not good.

GrahamN, is looking really good on his Dynamics - his second run especially !

Brentwood has a steep first section (about 2 1/2 turns worth), and then flattens a bit, and then a bit more at the end of the slope. It follows that if you don't get the turns and line on the steep sorted, you won't carry enough speed onto the flatter parts of the course.

Unusually the course was left up after the race - so some of use had a bit of a play. As soon as the timer is turned of you obviously ski much better ! What needs to be done now is to turn some of that training form into racing form. In time for next Sunday wink
ski holidays
Aargh - so near and yet so far!

Thanks for the compliment ski, but that second run was the only one I felt remotely close to how I can ski on these skis. Unfortunately as you were immediately before me in the running order I was too busy getting my skis and poles on to look down the course to see how you did.

Along with being quite flat, the part of the Brentwood slope used for individual slalom is quite long and narrow, so the opportunities for course variation are quite limited - so the course was quite similar to last year's IIRC. This time we had 14 gates in essentially a 1 mat wide corridor, with rhythm changes provided by a quite tight hairpin (gates 3-4) and a 3 element flush (gates 8-10). I was feeling pretty confident coming into this as I'd had a really good practice with the new skis on Thursday, I seem to do quite well on a wet surface, and Brentwood had been my best result last year. I was also encouraged by our group leader putting down a pretty scrappy first run (it turns out he was also trying out some new shorter skis). Unfortunately all that went to pot on turn 2 of the first run , where I lost it a bit resulting in a bit of a slide, and then completely failing to manage the spped coming out of the hairpin - resulting in an even bigger slide coming out of gate 6. Still, it was 1/10ths faster than the group leader, so not too disastrous - except my other main rival got his act together and was 3/10th faster still.

Run 2 the group leader got himself together and put down a more typical time, taking 7/10ths off his first run time. I still couldn't get turn 2 right, had to put in a bit of a twist and slide, and felt a bit precarious until I'd passed turn 6, but it felt much more respectable - it was still 25/100ths behind the group leader, but 1/10th in front of the first round group leader, and managed to stay just 2/100ths in front of him as he followed down straight after me.

Run 3, the door was thrown wide open by the group leader putting in a another run even slower than his first. So could this be that first group win I've been working so hard for? Chill man and stop thinking about it, and just do what you did on run 2 - as you've now just about got to grips with the course. Well it went a bit wrong coming out of the gate as I missed the matting with my second pole push, but not too bad. I was also getting time to get extra pushes in between gates - although got a bit out of balance in the flush, with the weight on the wrong foot at one point needing a sudden correction and costing a bit of speed. Probably blown it, but see what the third guy does. He came down pretty much as for the other runs: a bit messy and hurried through some of the final gates, and 2/10ths slower than his previous run, but basically doing just enough to win - experience coming to the fore (he's been doing this for ages, coaches at his slope and is regional assistant coach). Up to the timing board to see what the final times were - and I'm slower by A SECOND AND A HALF!!!!! I still can't believe it - it felt a bit slow at the end, but nowhere near that bad. Maybe the fact that I had time for those extra pushes indicates that things were not very good - but over a second is a HUGE loss. I got the timing guy to check his records as I couldn't believe it, but nothing doing. I do remember now that one thing we noticed about Brentwood last year was that it really rewards smooth skiing - if you try too hard to go faster it just makes you more jerky and can be seriously counter-productive.

I just have to face it that I blew it big time - still came a very poor third (I had enough of a lead over the 4th place guy to hold that), but it's now not looking good to repeat last year's 2nd in the series overall (the way the countback works basically I need to win each of the next two races just to hold onto second, but if I do that it's still mathematically possible, but unlikely, for me to win the series). I guess it's time now to forget about too much from this year and just gain as much experience as possible in the rest of the season to prepare for a better run next year (and just hope that Andy Robinson doesn't come good on his threat to come back to racing, as I'll never beat him)

As ski said, it was good getting the opportunity to play though the course over lunch, and practice through a realistic course. We never really get more than about 7-8 gates in our training courses (and never have any timing gear), so I feel really short of proper course experience - which is at least partly why I'm having so much trouble getting decent performances in competition. Having not seen ski during the race itself, I couldn't see how it compared to his timed runs, but he looked pretty decent to me (although possibly still a bit slidy) - so his underachievement in competition (i.e. apparent inability to actually finish a race Smile ) is particularly strange. After a rubbish first run down (ski out), I finally got it together and managed to put in some runs I was really pleased with - good flow, thinking 2-3 gates ahead, starting to commit to the next turn while rounding each pole, knees working the skis with the right amount of edge and keeping just enough pressure on the ski to keep it carving, etc. - all the stuff we know we're supposed to do but very rearely actually manage. And I'm certain all of them would have been at least 5/10ths faster than my fastest timed run Sad (I guess racers can tell fisherman's stories too Wink ). And I got some good runs down in the parallel slalom in the afternoon - although as a team we had a dreadful set of results, with even our best skier skiing out on a very easy - if fast - course.

Oh well - that's all history now, so the next job is to try and get that feeling back in practice this week, and roll on next weekend.

(And I promised it to myself to not write an essay this week rolling eyes ).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 2-07-07 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
GrahamN, Interesting report. I saw the times of you and ski and had already got a feel for the likely views.
The ERSA race there last year actually experimented with a course that went down the first steeper bit and then cut up the slope and round the back of the trees before dropping back onto the slope proper and ended up below the shorter lift. Totally confused the little ones and a few of the bigger ones. Is that the way ski went on the third run? wink
snow report
well, seems like it was a wet and frustrating weekend for all! My bath is currently filled with the aftermath of the Pendle monsoon yesterday - not looking forward to going home and having to sort it all out Sad

anyway, the skiing report from the north Very Happy - Saturday was Stoke CN and looked like a disaster at the start of the day with heavy rain and lots of matting sticking up at the bottom of the slope leading to some nasty crashes in free practice - the worst resulting in a dislocated shoulder and very bloody face... but eventually they fixed the matting and the timing gear (which didn't like the rain much apparently rolling eyes) and the racing got underway. I was pleased with my first run - felt much more in control of the skis and carving much better but frustratingly lacking in acceleration and speed again.. but I did beat many people who usually beat me so I was happy! 2nd run was really sloppy, leaning back, skidding - 1/10th faster than the first tho but others all made better improvement so back behind those I had been so happy to beat in run 1 Evil or Very Mad 3rd run was better, good carving turns again and attacking more so improved almost 4/10ths. Still not getting the acceleration tho - a problem for all in the club so we are going to beg our coach to set some faster courses to practice on instead of the horribly difficult ones we usually do where you just have to try and get down in one piece! But I did manage to knock another couple of points off (short slope!) which was good Very Happy , and got 3rd in my age group by default (only 3 in it!) rolling eyes

Sunday was the last in the GP series at Pendle - we were hopeful in the morning for the weather with only a few showers, got in a decent 1st run, again much more controlled, getting forward over the skis and carving them... then struck the GP 2nd run curse! 2nd course was very fast and was having a great run, carving nicely, working the skis on the totally flat section at the bottom but got a bit late towards the end and got caught out by 2nd last gate which was very tight - made it round but had to apply the brakes to do so which cost about 3 seconds Mad ... still my best GP so far - fell in my first at pendle on 2nd run and skied out on 2nd run at sunderland.... but frustrating nonetheless! I wasn't alone tho - those last 2 gates caught many people out! Just after I had finished run 2 came the deluge, accompanied by thunder and lightning which resulted in the race having to be stopped twice for about half an hour or so each time but they did mange to get it back on and finished eventually - despite a rather large puddle appearing on top of one of the rollers which caused a few problems for the later racers! so it was a very soggy trip home yesterday, without the gazebo, which sadly succumbed to the Pendle monsoon...... Crying or Very sad

so a mixed weekend really but I am pleased overall cos I do think progress is being made - getting that feeling of proper carving turns much more often in the races and having the confidence to attack the courses more... next hopefully will be acceleration and speed! Depending on the will of the coach rolling eyes summer race league at rossendale next sunday will be a chance to try for that speed Very Happy
snow conditions
Congrats on further improvement Viv, even if not quite what you were looking for.

vivski wrote:
Still not getting the acceleration tho - a problem for all in the club so we are going to beg our coach to set some faster courses to practice on instead of the horribly difficult ones we usually do where you just have to try and get down in one piece!

We sometimes have that too - although just impossibly wide courses that you can't take a racing line through rather than impossibly difficult - I wonder why they do it? (OK - answer is normally to ensure you concentrate on a particular technical issue rather than try to race it). In our case the problem is largely down to having a very steep first half slope and a huge range of ability within the group, so that it's difficult to set a course that will test the better ones in a realistic way and still be doable for the less able. The two fastest of us in our club (seniors/masters only) are actually getting quite wound up about this as we never get any practice through realistic courses, other that when actually at races. Either they're now way too easy, or more like a GS-type course.

For us psychology is also getting quite important now. One story Phil S told on my training week with him last year was about when he was training with a mate, back in the days when he skied plastic. The mate was of similar technical ability, but never as fast. The difference was that the mate felt he was fast in the course, whereas Phil didn't - so the mate would back off whereas Phil would push harder. Hence the speed difference. Moral of the story - you need to get your head to the point where runs feels so-so, or you'll never go faster. The two of us have now improved to the level where (certainly in my case) when I get a good run in (like the practice runs we had after the Saturday race), it feels very fast, even if still only in the 150 point range, and in a race I start panicking about whether I'm going to hold it in the turns or come a cropper. This of course stiffens up the legs and pretty much ensures the latter outcome, whereas when there's little pressure in a training run, it's no big deal if you ski out, the muscles stay responsive and active, and everything's tickety-boo. If the run's at the 200-250 point level it doesn't feel at all fast and I'm fairly sure I can recover a mistake and still finish. Getting over this mental block can only be more experience of getting the 150 point runs right - unless anyone has any better ideas?

When trying to get acceleration I find the most important thing is to get the pressure on the ski really early, i.e. at about 1 o'clock in the turn, and make sure that you've pulled your legs up in the second half of the previous turn, to give you room to extend into the new turn, launching yourself towards the next pole - but then I guess you knew that anyway as a sub-200 point skier. Remembering to do that in the race is the problem - but it's simple to practice just free skiing without poles - give yourself a 1 mat wide corridor to ski and (if you have any spare brainpower) try to hit the seams with your inside ski as you do it.

This actually relates to something ski and I were talking about on Saturday: I get my best performances when I deliberately think about keeping my body low throughout, rather than standing up on the skis. (It is of course still important to stand over the skis rather than let them run ahead of you). This puts the legs bent with the muscles in their mid range in neutral, and allows you to extend or retract without any rise or fall at the hips - so minimising any extra forces required to make unnecessary shifts of your CoM. When pushing to get acceleration the important force is sideways, separating your CoM from the contact point of the skis as a slingshot, and it's important to minimise any extra vertical force, as that just causes the ski to dig into the surface unnecessarily, and slow you down. The important thing here to keep this position is to ensure the leg retraction happens as the pressure builds in the second half of the turn and you're most compressed as your skis cross under for the start of the next - or you end up standing up - and I think that's what I've been forgetting recently.

Well, that's my theory anyway Wink .
ski holidays
GrahamN, good advice! I think that the psychology is a lot of my problem.... especially as in most of the races where I have felt quite good on the skis and tried to push that extra bit I've come a cropper! rolling eyes but I think as you say that once you start doing the faster runs more and it feels more normal then the legs don't tense up so much and that makes a HUGE difference Very Happy I know that at my old club before I had a big crash which set me back I would often say to the coach that I was just going to have a gentle run, not try too hard when I was having a lot of knee pain and they were always my best runs, just because my legs were nice and relaxed. So now I do try to keep my legs loose and not get too tense and when it works it really helps. Not getting forward enough and standing up too tall are also problems for me but I am getting MUCH better on that count now because I have been working on it really hard all year and it is definitely paying off.... I think a lot of that is psychological as well - had a few nasty crashes in the last couple of years and I think in the back of my mind have always been a bit nervous since so as soon as there are gates in the way I tend to stand up and lean back a bit, totally subconscious reaction.. don't do it at all when free skiing wothout slalom poles!

I do do the one mat wide turns in warm up etc to work on the acceleration but it all goes out the window a bit when the course is there and you can't do the turns in your own time! I know why the coach sets really hard courses - it does help in that most of us can complete most courses that come up at races (apart from me in 2nd run GPs but that's just me being silly!).. but I think that really good training should encompass a mixture of harder, more technical courses and also some faster courses for speed work... in these technical courses we do you can never work on carving a really nice turn and accelerating as the rhythm changes every 2-3 gates and you end up jumping around trying not to fall over all the time! I seem to find that among the people I am in close competition with at races, I can beat them on more technical courses, eg grand prix or celtic cup where you also only get one run on each course, but when it comes to slightly easier and faster courses at race league or CN they are much quicker than me...... and improve more over the course of the 2 or 3 runs on the same course... Sad but it is improving and I know what I want to work on so am concentrating on doing my best to accelerate through turns and find my edges properly in training, even if it means I don't complete the course very often!

I know that there is a sub-150 point skier in me - just have to find the way to let it out Toofy Grin ( a change of club is one option under consideration!)
ski holidays
vivski, & GrahamN, I really can't comment on all this technical stuff as its way beyond me but its really interesting stuff to dream about.
On the question of training courses, the coaches get together during the session and teach the same sort of thing to each group(just at a different level). When the course is set up (about half way through the session) it is designed to test the theory of that session but is always changed after about 30 mins from either a technical tight course to a more flowing one or visa versa.
I am the worst example of a skier who stands too tall and relies on then going up and down. The coach has spent the vast majority of his time with me so far in getting a crouched dynamic stance out of me. On thing he suggested was to get me to go down the course feeling that my eye line was about a foot down from the top of each pole (tricky when they are a bit wonky) and that really helped. Remember that he is trying to teach a 350+ pointer.
latest report
Nick W, your training sessions sound like the sort of thing we would like to do... a nice mixture of technical and speed work. We don't really have a theory for the session as such - we get on with warm ups ourselves (badly! tho we work on them a lot in the winter and don't do any courses) for about half an hour while the coaches set up the course then we batter through it for about 45 mins then it is taken down and we all go home.... level of feedback from the coaches also varies depending on number of people at the session and whether they see any of your runs or not! Also one of our two coaches has an annoying theory that some weeks he won't say anything to us cos we have to learn to self analyse - I know I'm doing it wrong, I might even know some of what I am doing wrong, but I need help to fix it!! Evil or Very Mad But they have overall really improved my skiing over the last year, just not to the extent I felt I was coming on at my old club before I moved from one end of the country to the other... hard to tell if it's just me but others at the club have similar complaints.... think we are going to ask about some more flowing courses at training tomorrow - if I never post again after that you know it went badly!! Laughing Also, as a 350+ pointer in the men's category you are probably about a similar level to myself (or a bit better!) as the men are much faster!! Very Happy
snow report
vivski, Good luck but when we ask for course changes it is usually followed be 30 mins of short swings rolling eyes
I am at least 2 seconds a run slower than you judging by your performance against our little ones who were there Embarassed
snow report
Nick W wrote:
vivski, Good luck but when we ask for course changes it is usually followed be 30 mins of short swings rolling eyes

ouch..... ah well, I suppose my short swings could do with some work Very Happy tho we might need longer training sessions! Think that's part of the problem - are your sessions two hours? ours are only hour and a half so a bit tight to get two courses set I suppose...
ski holidays
vivski, On Mondays the little ones start at 6pm and the rest pitch up over the next 30 mins. You are surposed to be warmed up (exercises off skis) and have done a couple of runs before assembling for a huddle at 6.30pm. On ski exercises in your group take about 45 mins and the coaches take it in turns to put up courses during that time. The minis then get a bit of a go for 15 mins before finishing at 7.30pm (most of their time is spent on the trainer slope next door) so we use them as extra poles Twisted Evil
So from 7.15 to just after 8pm we ski the course which is changed mid way through. Then small children are sent to get the poles in Laughing while the adults have a de-brief.
We also fill in aims and asperations sheets which are reviewed every six months. if a coach is away we get sent an e mail to tell us what to concentrate on (taken from the sheet) in his absence.
Feedback tends to vary week to week but you generally get some. Mrs NickW gets concerned if her coach doesn't give her a running commentary but I use the no news is good news approach.
Whole thing is repeated on Friday night but with fewer skiers (its by invitation) and no minis. They let me ski on Fridays only because it means both of us can ski once a week while the other looks after little NickW (son of course does both sessions!!)
Yep, its really that good Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vivski, our sessions sound a bit like Nick W's although a bit more compressed. We normally get going about 8:10am, with 20mins or so warm up, then work for about 30 mins on some technical aspect, then maybe 25 mins through a course, before having to get out of the way for a little kids group lesson session coming on at 9:30. We're a pretty small group (up to about 15, sometimes as few as 6) so we normally get plenty of feedback from our coach. The main problem from the racing aspect though is that the majority of the group are there primarily for technical improvement rather than racing (that's why I started there, after all - I never had any intention of actually doing any racing rolling eyes ). Currently only 3-4 of us are active racers, but one or two guys are just getting their feet wet (you'd beat them, Nick), but really starting to enjoy it - so the emphasis is very much on basic technique improvements rather than with a proper race focus. We also have an ad hoc session (unfortunately with no poles, although we can sometimes put markers out on the slope) on a Wednsday evening - with normally just the 3 or 4 keener racers and no coaches - so we do lots of self analysis (and I think may soon get our egos out of the way enough for some mutual coaching). The major problem with that in the summer is that the kids don't finish until 8pm, and the slope kicks us off at 20:45. Hence, we're sort of drifting unofficially to Thurs eve when we can start when we like.

Nick W, one other idea that may work with the standing too tall thing.....try imagining yourself kneeling on the skis as you come down the course. Also try actively pointing into the turn with your knees - but by rolling them in from your ankles rather than trying to twist them from the hips. It may not work for you, but does on occasion for me (when I can remember to think about it). You may get some success with something like that vid veeeight posted of the guy doing it all with shin angulation: for that exercise hold the knees still and let the lower legs run from side to side below them, but to get the knees rolling do it by actively moving the knees from side to side. As your hands are down on your knees you're naturally in a lower position, but combine it with the thought of kneeling on your skis to ensure you get forward flex at the ankles and don't just end up sitting on the loo. It sort of works for me, and I've got incredibly poor forward movement at my ankles, so it should work for you.
snow report
GrahamN, I must get to Aldershot for a ski with you, will you be skiing Wed or Thurs this week?
snow report
Dunk, need to get back to you on that one, but tending towards Thurs at present, as I could get there 19:15-30.
ski holidays
GrahamN, I normally go to Guildford Thurs, instructor training, but could do with a ski on a slightly bigger slope. wink
I'm working in Aldershot Thurs, so can easily take some time off in the evening to ski?
snow conditions
GrahamN, Thanks for the thoughts. My 9 year old offered me similar analysis but kept it simple for me. He said draw eyes on your shin guards and get them to look around the poles Little Angel
The Hemel training sessions on Mondays and Fridays are only for racing but work on the principle of good racers being good skiers first. There are usually six coaches with groups of between 5- 12 peeps. Last night they were teaching the under 8's banana gates, hairpins, etc. including showing them video of their lines.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
Nick W, one other idea that may work with the standing too tall thing.....try imagining yourself kneeling on the skis as you come down the course. ................... As your hands are down on your knees you're naturally in a lower position, but combine it with the thought of kneeling on your skis to ensure you get forward flex at the ankles and don't just end up sitting on the loo. It sort of works for me, and I've got incredibly poor forward movement at my ankles, so it should work for you.

By the way, I tried kneeling onto my skis the day after our tele lesson. It was my first DSQ Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Is that the way ski went on the third run?

No - straddled coming out of a flush. But it was next to the trees you mention snowHead I have done a race that went the way you describe. but a long time ago
snow report
ski, Good luck back at Welwyn this weekend. We're off to your area to see the Tour.
ski holidays
Nick W, Have fun snowHead
snow report
Well, another weekend of rather mixed feelings - two races with me performing to expectations rather than potential. Went to Gloucester on Saturday for another Club National, and Welwyn on Sunday for the 4th race in the LSERSA series. LSERSA is the more serious of the two local regions I ski in, and the courses were probably of similar standard - essentially each had one turn the solution of which governed your approach to the rest of the course: the Gloucester one a tightish approach into a haripin, and the Welwyn one a gate right on the most complex shaped bump on the slope, with an approach crying out to be taken way too fast - which several very highly ranked skiers then proceeded to do rolling eyes . And true to form, I put in a fair to middling first run (although I took the Welwyn one way too cautiously prior to the bump turn) and then had a reasonable second run, putting me in touch with the group leaders - finally blowing it by trying too hard on the final run, although fortunately losing only half a second rather than that appalling 1.5 at Brentwood. Again a little bit disappointing, as that third run felt technically the best, whereas I messed up turn 3 or 4 a bit on the second run, and the rest of the run was a series of recoveries just about the wrong side of being out-of-control - but that ended up my fastest by quarter to half a second. The Gloucester third run lineup (remember this is in ascending speed order from the first two runs) was interesting in that there were 9 of us in the M2 group (40-50 agegroup), and all but one of us formed a single group in the middle of the order with only a single teenager interrupting the greying tide (oh and one of the 30-40 agegroup too)!

So the end results were mixed. I was fairly pleased to come out of Gloucester with 181 points including penalty (which will turn into 217 seed points, as I only have one result and this gets loaded by 20%), but would have been happier if I'd not chucked away the chance of say 165 with that last run - and still I ended up 4th out of those 9 (helped by two of the slightly faster ones skiing out). I hope I can get rid of that loading factor at Southampton later this month. The real positive of this though is that it qualifies me to enter the British Championships at Norwich - but I'll wait for a reasonable performance at Southampton before thinking about that.

The Welwyn race went almost as a carbon copy of the Brentwood one. After two runs I was in 2nd place by 2/100ths, but within touch of the leader. The leader messed up his third run, I messed up mine just as much (or worse), and the third place guy won, with me coming in third. The only differencee wee the other two guys switched roles this week, and this time I was only 3/10th being the winner and 15/100ths behind 2nd (on combined times). So near and yet so far - again. With one race left in this series, this result also fixes the end of year placings: the guy who came second cannot catch yesterday's winner, who therefore wins the series, I can't catch the guy in second, but the guy in 4th only has a mathematical chance of catching me (i.e. by winning the final race, which essentially requires all the top three to fail to finish). So the last race of that series (not till the end of Sept) effectively becomes a one-off, with nothing more at stake, and should be good fun.

This is now the 4th consecutive CN format race where I've blown it on the third run, so it's getting irritating to say the least - and I've got to work out a way around this mental hang-up. The next two races though are back to the easier SRSA format (just best time to count, practice through the course first), with but with even keener competition around me. So much less pressure on any one run, and maybe, just maybe I can stop leaving my training technique the wrong side of the start gate and start letting my body do something sensible rolling eyes .

There were also some super team races in the afternoon. Those not competing for clubs get put into scratch teams, with the teams made up to get as similar times on paper as possible. This sometimes ends up with some teams of releatively similar calibre skiers, against teams with one or two very fast counterbalanced with one or two "not so fast" Wink . This happened biig time with the eventual winners, who had a pretty good 20year old as their anchor man. Time and time again he started his leg 4 gates behind but just managed to nip a win with a margin somewhere between half a gate and a boot length.

Chatham, Bromley and Wycombe all had some excellent teams (on paper Wycombe being the hands down winner), with the final race bringing the entertainment run of the series. One of the Wycombe young bucks (ranked about 2% slower than the current Britich champion) has a somewhat 'distinctive' style on occasions. This time he got a bit late coming out of a gate about half way down the course and had to throw in a pretty serious turn to stay in the course. This of course left him even later on the next gate and the recovery move was even more severe. This continued for about 4 or 5 gates, with all the spectators going oooh...wow....shi....wow....SHI....WTF! as his edge angles got more and more extreme and his ar$e got closer to the matting on each turn. The last two he executed about 6 inches off the deck Shocked - and ended up essentially crossing the finish line on his back! Top entertainment. Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh - and ski actually managed to get three runs in getting all required bits to go the right way round all the poles Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

And spyderman made a (non-competitor) appearance too, but skimottaret came up with some lame excuse about having been in bed with Flo or something like that. You need to get training mate - NOW!
latest report
GrahamN, detailed report as ever! That's great that you got good points at gloucester so can do the champs even with the loading factor. And still soton to get them even lower! Sounds like you are having some similar days to me - some runs feeling really good technically but still not happening all the time (and very annoying when the technically good ones are slower than the series of linked recoveries Evil or Very Mad )

No skiing on Saturday for me Shocked was quite nice to have a day off tho and not have to get up at the crack of dawn! Very Happy Sunday was summer race league at rossendale - mixed day really, first individual run was terrible, got backwards at the start, didn't attack it really so didn't get speed at the bottom - and slid everywhere on the rubbish matting as well! Second run was better (over half a second better!) felt good technically but still almost impossible to get good grip on the top of the slope, tho I did build some speed at the bottom - still need to practice accelerating through the turns. Pleased(ish) to make group 9 for head to heads, equals last month for best group but still think can do better! Disappointing head to heads, lost 2 won 1 - worst performance to date but I spose it comes with being in better group with faster people! Also highlighted much work still to do on my starts, on both losing runs I basically lost it on the start, with the other person getting away much quicker and me catching them all the way down but just not being able to make up the difference Evil or Very Mad so we are going to try a mass appeal to the coaches on tuesday night for some start practice and also some (slightly) easier courses for speed work - almost everyone in the club could be identified by terrible starts in the head to heads and an inability to accelerate through turns! Would have done it last week but a lot of us missed training due to illness induced by the Pendle monsoon last weekend Sad

Thanks also to Nick W, GrahamN, for the info on your training sessions and tehnical hints and tips last week! Really interesting and useful - going to try imagining kneeling on the skis this week, should help as I have really noticed I am trying to turn my feet rather than use knees to get good angulation rolling eyes
snow conditions
vivski, Latest session at Hemel was all based upon starting. We concentrated on individual rather than dual slalom. I was mixed in with a few good uns ( seed points of under 100) so the experience was a bit daunting.
Interesting points that showed up were that we all tried to go up and forward rather than just going forward (as instructor wanted). Several of us moved one foot through the wand well before the other (nobody realised they were even doing it!) Shocked . The effect for me of bringing both feet level was surprising and resulted in one fall because of the balance change. Better overall once you got used to it and it did help with the run to the first gate.
Instructor refused to let anyone advise anyone else about position, poles, routine etc as he asserts that it is a very individualistic thing; the test he applied was to get the rest of us to decide if the starter had done their best or not (penalty was walking back up the slope for a recall) Embarassed .
We even had homework consisting of a sheet of plastic on the grass in the back garden and slow analysis of where your legs and stomach muscules gave way to arm push. This determined the distance of your feet from the wand. Sorry, easy to feel but difficult to describe. Blush
Dual slalom is this Friday!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy