Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Racing - 2007

Poster: A snowHead
As snowHead s seem to be getting all keen about racing atm, how about a thread covering our various exploits over the summer.

Just to set the scene, various regions in the country run race leagues on plastic slopes over the summer - about half-a-dozen races in each region's series. At the next level up are a series of Club National races, and a series organised by the Welsh called the Celtic Cup (although they're heading out for races at Gloucester and Rossendale this year) and then there are Grand Prix races for the big boys. There's also a series of races at the 3 Xscape snowdomes - it's clearly catching on as I understand the MK race in May is now already full.

The London and South-East Region had their first race Sunday before last (22nd April) at Bromley, a slope about 110m long slope, and they managed to get 11 gates in. I and ski were in action, with two snowHead spectators - narrowlast has some feeble excuse about easing himself back in gradually...and only doing the Club Nationals this year rolling eyes , and gsb is still wimping out with some pathetic story about having to carry skis for his (rather good) kids Laughing . The format for the individual races in this region is the same as the Club National: three runs down the same course, and your time is the best of the first two added to your third run. You get placed on overall times, and also get points for positions within age groups. The winners get down here in just about 10secs a run, with the top half of the field taking 13secs or less per run.

Last year I managed to fluke a second overall in the old gits (45+) age group, in my first year of racing - so the pressure's on to go one better this year. Unfortunately for me, one consistently faster guy has turned 45 this year, and another guy of similar talent wasn't racing much last year, so it's a really tall order. However, I've been doing quite a bit of training over the winter and really hope to be in the mix there. There's also a little snowHead battle to be had - ski (a mere youngster - in the 30-44 agegroup) was just faster than me all last year (although I've managed a one-off run faster run than him once or twice) - but he's definitely in my sights too.

Bromley however turned out a bit of a disappointment for us both. The plus for me was that all three of my runs were significantly more controlled and better skied than anything I did last year, but the downside was they just felt rather slow. This was really galling as I'd been skiing pretty well in the pre-race practice and recent training sessions, but it all felt a bit conservative and comfortable in the actual race (and anyone who's seen me train will know that that I don't really do conservative Shocked ). So I came away from the race incredibly depressed that I was half a second off the pace, and couldn't really see where I'd gone wrong Sad Mad . The feedback I got later from a coach was that my first few turns were all a bit smudged and I didn't get up to speed quickly enough - so that's something to work on. I guess my excuse there is that our home slope is very steep at the top, so you normally need to be holding back slightly at the start to avoid skiing out half way down - and it's a tough habit to break when the course is that bit flatter at the top.

ski was showing off his shiny new Dynamic skis, and they seemed to be doing OK. He had a reasonably good first couple of runs, keeping just ahead of his club rival (and both frustratingly just hundredths of a second ahead of me in the second run)....but then a bit of a disaster as his skis had a small steering problem on the last run and he straddled a gate half way down. Oh dear...so no time recorded. So that's my first victory over him then...hehe!

Interestingly the 45+ agegroup really has become very competitive with the new blood - the top three were all within 0.3 seconds on overall time, and beat the 2nd place guy in the 30-44 age group! I just need to gain that 0.5 seconds/run to be in that mix.

Next outing is at Aldershot on 13th May - and this time I have home field advantage Wink (so no doubt I'll over-cook something and ski out rolling eyes ).

Edit: Oh and I should have said - the real hero of Bromley was a young lady in her first race at the grand old age of 6. What a racing snowplough! and what a picture in shocking pink haring down the slope - I think she'd have given crazy_skier_jules a run for her money! We also had a Dad from our club in his first race (at the tender age of 44) too who, like Nick W in his first race at Hemel (Eastern Region had a race there on the same day), shaved 2 secs off of his time between first and last run....so it's never too late to start Wink .

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-05-07 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skis are used by most competitors, and I assume you need shin guards, pole protectors, etc?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN,
Quote:

Next outing is at Aldershot on 13th May

Game on ! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi GrahamN, gsb Embarassed here. Good to see you and also meet ski on the 22nd. Of course the real reason I don't try and race is for your benefit, how could you concentrate if you were roflyao after watching me try to go round gates Laughing . This thread is a good idea, it may give some snowHead more of an insight into plastic racing and what can be acheived on a dry slope. Maybe they, or some with children might even go along to a race and then who knows, even give it a try.
See you at Aldershot and/or are we going to get you at some local Club Nationals?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please keep us updated on progress this summer all, I enjoyed reading about the exploits of assorted snowHead (both young and old) last year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, regular slalom skis of all sorts - Fischer RC4s, Head SL9 or 11, Salomon 3V, Rossi 9S, some Elans, not a lot of Atomics IIRC, a few Dynamics. The better ones will be on race dept (e.g. as sold by Bartletts), but others on retail. Adults will mostly ski 160 or 155 (there's no minimm length for plastic, but it's 165 for the Fridge series), as the gates are a little closer than on snow. Definitely shin protectors, pole guards, helmets, sturdy gloves (preferably with some protection on the back of the hand), long sleeves and trousers. Some wear body armour as well - I've got shoulder, elbow and hip protection this year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Meantime, over at the Eastern Region (ERSA) even older 49+ first timers are just happy to be working out what on earth is going on Puzzled
ERSA have slightly different age groupings and in the summer league it is the best two of your three times (unlike the Club Nationals).
Our first race (my first ever race) was at Hemel, which was intended to be its swansong as a dry slope but we have at least another year to go now. 195 competitors and as has been said a big increase this year in the older age groups.
It was all great fun; we all had our "targets" to match or beat but the accent is very much on having a good day out. At least that is how I rationalised coming 6th out of 7 Embarassed .
I'm not sure if there are other Snowheads in the ERSA series although I would have thought there must be.
We are all off to Welwyn on 13 May for round 2. I'm really looking forward to it and will report back.
rob@rar, I have hand guards on my poles but haven't reached the technical level where shin guards are essential. You need a helmet (with good ventilation for the summer). For racing, peeps do use some pretty good skis, regardless of the potential damage. You see most of the top slalom brands at races, Volkl, Fischer, Atomic, Salomon, Dynastar, Nordica and Dynamic seem to be the most popular. I'll bet ski has some of the really bright multi-coloured Dynamics rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I might try to visit one of these events to say hello and see what it's all about. The only problem is I really hate skiing on plastic, even though I know it would be good for me Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick W,

Quote:

I'll bet ski has some of the really bright multi-coloured Dynamics

Unfortunately, there are this years model, which are slightly more tasteful Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

rob@rar, You also need bungs on the end of your sticks. The next race is at Aldershot on May 13. See GrahamN,
Quote:

over-cook something and ski out

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
...and so the sledging starts Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

(and I much preferred the older VR27 colour scheme too)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
The next race is at Aldershot on May 13. See GrahamN,
Quote:

over-cook something and ski out

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I'd love to see GrahamN overcook something and ski out Twisted Evil Twisted Evil What time does the event start on the 13th?

Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, The skiing gets going about 10 - 10:30 ish. The best run to watch is the 2nd of 3 - in LSERSA your total time is the best of the first two and the third - so the 2nd run is usually good for some fast times. That is usually going on 11 ish.

The best thing to watch (IMV) is the dual slalom in the afternoon.... snowHead

I have some Head SL skis which would suit you down to the ground for this sort of thing wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Gloucester Summer Race League starts on 12 May, with a race each month through to October. This is very much a club event with clubs from Birmingham to Exeter participating. Clubs enter teams of 10 with two timed runs in the morning and three dual slaloms in the afternoon. Skiers are given points for their overall position according to their age group and also for their performance in the dual slaloms. There is a blend of competitiveness with encouragement. I don't know all the rules, but skiers with low seed points are excluded from all but the last race of the season.

I have watched some of the races when my daughter was taking part, but last autumn I decided to join one of the clubs and learn how to do this. It has made a big difference to my overall skiing in addition to teaching me some new skills. I am really grateful to the coaches who give up their time each week to encourage and cajole me into improving my technique.

I hope to take part in some of the later races, but at present I am nursing a badly sprained wrist from a fall after hitting a gate during practice. If so, then I shall be 56 years young.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't know all the rules, but skiers with low seed points are excluded from all but the last race of the season.

It's usually less than about 160 points, but there is a slight difference between girls and boys. In the last race of the season, each team is allowed one 'guest' racer with low seed points. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski wrote:
I have some Head SL skis which would suit you down to the ground for this sort of thing wink

Last time I skied on those I decided I wasn't man enough to tame them!
snow report
So the score so far - GrahamN, 2 ski, 0. Very wet yesterday at Aldershot, which gave the timing equipment some challenges. GrahamN, skied really well to claim 2nd in his age group... all the training and practise is really paying off. snowHead

In the afternoon, got a lot dryer - so those that stayed (incl me and GrahamN, ) had a really fun dual slalom event. The course (for a dual slalom) was quite turney racing was close and exiting...

Well done GrahamN, !
latest report
ski, The weather was obviously moving north and west because at Welwyn it started wet, got wetter and then got very wet indeed.
A new experience then for me (race number 2 in my career) although the wet slope didn't appear to have too much effect provided I was using the edges (some of the time I think).
Still a big gap in my times with the first run largely exploratory. At the start of the second run I nearly fell at the first gate, proceeded to the second on completely the wrong edge but recovered eventually (the crowd enjoyed it anyway). Third run was ok and I have closed a bit on the faster skiers in the old man's group and my assorted "targets". My coach was watching so I am expecting a hard time on Friday.
The rest of the family all scored podium positions just to rub it in. Son won his group, Mrs Nick W was second and my five year old daughter completed the drubbing by managing two successful runs down (not bad considering the forest of poles that she sees at her height) and third place.
Overall a great day with 191 taking part. Attendances so far this year are well up on last.
Next race is at Bassingbourn in mid June which is one of those mini slopes like the ones you seem to have in the south!
Any advice on producing a good time on a shorter run? I am guessing that it will all be about start technique.
snow report
Nick W,

Quote:

I am guessing that it will all be about start technique.

That helps snowHead

You need to be able to accelerate the whole way down the slope - but remember - if you don't finish - you won't win ! rolling eyes
snow conditions
ski, Thanks; I shall try to keep the thought in mind Smile . At this stage though, winning is something the rest of the family does Blush
snow report
Nick W, What was Welwyn like then - I'm doing the CN there on June 10 ?
snow conditions
ski, I told GrahamN, on Sunday that he ought to do the above race in case you did (as practice for the Welwyn Lsersa) Smile .
snow report
ski, Welwyn is about 150m long and has a lot of rollers and dips in it compared to the other slopes we use (no trees though unlike Brentwood). Best times down the course were about 10.50 secs with a good average being about 12secs (son did low 15's, me high 16secs).
poma up each side (both really slow). There is a largish grass area next to the slope for tents etc.
It is actually in the Gostling Sports Centre so there is lots of parking (head to the right in the centre towards the golf driving range end) but don't leave anything in your car as it is a well known crime spot (being right next door to the headquarters of the Herts Constabulary rolling eyes
The catering and loos are both terrible so bring your own / go before you arrive!
If I manage to get my son registered with SSE before the closing date he will be racing as well at the CN. will keep you posted (I shall only be acting as service manager to the Hemel kids Embarassed)
ski holidays
Nick W, Thanks ! See you there ! snowHead
ski holidays
(Sorry - this seems to have turned into a bit of a novel)

Thank you, ski, it was a pretty good day at the office, but irritatingly just off being a great one.

Aldershot is clearly a place where local feel counts, as it's very steep for the first half, has a bit of a bumpy dip half way down, and is then fairly flat on the runout. As ski said, the slope was pretty wet, which meant it was overall quite fast, but grip was defiitely at a premium. The course setter also set a characteristic course, some fairly straight early gates suckering you into going too fast to cope with a wider one half way down. Hence there were a lot of ski outs around the halfway gate - particularly from some of the faster skiers. Although there were a few notable absences from the ususal start list - I assume off at the snow race at MK, where I see there were another 160-odd starters - we still had 170 registered starters, boosted in part by a huge entry from Aldershot (37 in total), including a lot of first timers.

Coming out of it, I'm pretty happy in that for the first time I felt I was skiing comparable to the way I ski in training, but also know there's a lot left in the tank, and I'm still only starting to get the degree of edge commitment and dynamism I know I can manage. Along with more basic technique improvement, I now need to get a bit more practice and experience to get the timing reliable and work out what I can and cannot do.

The start of my first run was bizarre. I wasn't going ridiculously straight at the first gate, gsb; I was probably going a bit straight, but only realised half way towards it that I was nicely committed to attack it going round the wrong way rolling eyes . A quick extra turn got me back on track but at the expense of scrubbing off a lot of speed - and I was probably the only person all day to get 10 turns in on a 9 gate course Laughing . Still it was moderately encouraging as despite that I was in touch with the group leaders - only a 1/10 sec or so away.

Second run was hampered by a truly pathetic start - I sort of dribbled out rather than exploded (like wot yer sposed to). Everything else must have gone fairly well though as I knocked 3/10ths off, overtook the 2nd place man in the group, but was still 9/100ths off the leader, who'd also had a good run. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no recollection of any of that run between the abortion of a start and a rewarding clatter through the final combination and push for the line - so not a lot of pointers for reproducing it.

The group leader slowed down a bit on the final run, so I only had to improve by 13/100ths on mine to win the group for the first time ever - and a proper start would gain me at least 1/10th so it was definitely on. However, once I got in the gate and the starter said "Go", I looked at my skis, poles, legs and the timing wand....and went completely blank; what do I have to move to get the show on the road? Eventually I moved something, but hopelessly mistimed it; by the time I'd stopped kicking myself I'd skidded turns around two gates and couldn't stop crunching the remaining turns of the course - B****r!. Even so the time was only 1/10 slower than run 2, so I still ended up comfortably ahead of the 3rd place man, who consistently beat me by over a second throughout and won the series last year - so that was a bit special Wink .

Thinking about this after the race, I think my problem with the start is the practice I've been doing to get it better. I seem to have developed a little ritual of twitches, jerks and miscellanous rocking to psych myself up to jump out of the gate - the complete opposite to Bode Smile . However this takes about 10 secs, so I've not had the balls to go through that in race conditions - and so don't feel prepared when push comes to jump Wink . Bit of a review needed there I feel.

So 2nd in the group it has to be, just a shame I choked on that last run, as the group leader need now only win 1 race of the remaining 3 to win the series, whereas 1 and 1 would have been a different story. But looking at the finish list, there are a lot of fairly decent skiers I've never beaten before, ski among them (that earlier win this year was by default, him having a minor navigation problem in the final run at Bromley) - it may be 2-0 this year, but I have a 0-4 deficit to make up from last year Wink . Actually he was also a bit faster than last year as well - finishing 2nd in his group too, so congratulations to him as well. A finish position of 32nd overall is very pleasing (my finishes last year were getting up to about 60th), but looking at the guys in front of me, they start getting very good very quickly now - it's a very big ask to get much higher. It was also very rewarding that the top three in the old gits class (45+) beat all in the youngsters (30-44) group (their two fastest skiers also having skied out: "to finish first, first you have to finish").

This result is also interesting for me in that it's the first race for which I have a direct comparison against last year. One way you can compare times from different races is what are called "seed points" - a measure of how your times compare against the fastest skier in the country (dry slopes that is - the proper big boys don't drop to this level). The fastest normally has zero points, and each 6 points corresponds to being 1% of his time slower. Below about 10 points you're probably competing on the FIS circuit, and the top 50 skiers have less than 50 points.

(Here's the science bit Wink ... seed points are calculated by multiplying the %age you are slower than the race leader by 6.1, then a correction is added, which is calculated as the average of the listed seed points from previous races of the 5 fastest starters in the race, and the 5 fastest finishers corrected by their finishing times. The maths is a bit dodgy, but it sort of normalises between races based on finishing times of the race leaders)

Doing a seed point calculation on this race and 2006, ski improved from 221 to 201 points, I improved from 293 (my second race ever) to 165...which is nice Wink . These points are not to be taken too seriously though, as it's a shorter and probably easier course than would be normal in proper seeded races, but seems to match other listed skiers around our level.

Nick W, ski, after gsb's comment on Sunday, I've had a rush of blood to the head and on Monday appear to have sent off an SSE registration form Shocked , so should be at Welwyn on the 10th . Slight worry though - yesterday I got my first ever attack of something that feels depressingly like sciatica Shocked - I can actually run and cycle just about OK, but walking and bending over is pretty painful ... it seems to be easing off a bit today, but ski training this evening should be interesting Shocked Shocked Shocked .
snow report
GrahamN, Congratulations on your achievments so far. The champers is on ice as i expect you to be top dog by the end of the summer. Do keep the reports coming Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

The champers is on ice as i expect you to be top dog

We'll see about that Twisted Evil Twisted Evil snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
ski, Laughing Bring it on I say, and good luck to you as well
snow report
Well done GrahamN, I looked at the results on the LSERSA website Monday am and saw you performed well. I will see you at a race or two this summer, so there will be someone else for you to beat. Very Happy

When do you train at Aldershot at the moment?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunk, I was wondering where you'd got to! Still main session is Sat am 8.00-9.30. Also free skiing Weds 20.00-21.00. Unfortunately we can't go on later (or get poles up as the slope is open for general skiing), as the new mgmt playing it very cautious atm. There's a slope users' meeting with the new managers this evening, so we may get a better feel for what's happening then.

ski, game on! I have to say you were looking pretty good on Sunday. It's the first time I'd seen you from the start gate, and the thing that struck me was you were getting some excellent angulation, particularly as you got to the bottom of the ramp (but then anyone would look good after what Matt was doing Laughing !).
ski holidays
GrahamN, snowHead snowHead snowHead

Guess whose skis I'm sharpening tonight ?
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
(Sorry - this seems to have turned into a bit of a novel)

Aldershot is clearly a place where local feel counts, as it's very steep for the first half, has a bit of a bumpy dip half way down, and is then fairly flat on the runout. As ski said, the slope was pretty wet, which meant it was overall quite fast, but grip was defiitely at a premium. The course setter also set a characteristic course, some fairly straight early gates suckering you into going too fast to cope with a wider one half way down. Hence there were a lot of ski outs around the halfway gate - particularly from some of the faster skiers. Although there were a few notable absences from the ususal start list - I assume off at the snow race at MK, where I see there were another 160-odd starters - we still had 170 registered starters, boosted in part by a huge entry from Aldershot (37 in total), including a lot of first timers.

Nick W, ski, after gsb's comment on Sunday, I've had a rush of blood to the head and on Monday appear to have sent off an SSE registration form Shocked , so should be at Welwyn on the 10th . Slight worry though - yesterday I got my first ever attack of something that feels depressingly like sciatica Shocked - I can actually run and cycle just about OK, but walking and bending over is pretty painful ... it seems to be easing off a bit today, but ski training this evening should be interesting Shocked Shocked Shocked .

On this basis you should love Welwyn as it is the exact 14 gate equivalent IMO.

There were 191 runners at Welwyn so that adds up to an incredible total for a wet Sunday in May.

On the twitching in the start question, in golf you use one swing thought as your trigger. Why not just isolate one key thought and trust the rest to happen.

I have just filled in the forms for SSE to get my son into Welwyn but am not sure if they will be processed in time. Do you know how long it takes to get this done?

Great detail on your race; my reports will have to be much more carefully put together in future.

Next question is, do I expose myself to ridicule and enter as well for the CN Embarassed
latest report
Nick W,
Quote:

Next question is, do I expose myself to ridicule and enter as well for the CN

But of course snowHead - or join us a Brentwood on the 30th..... snowHead
latest report
Nick W, yes, I thought that too, although I'm told it's not as steep as Aldershot at the start, but doesn't flatten out anything like as much as here.
Nick W wrote:
I have just filled in the forms for SSE to get my son into Welwyn but am not sure if they will be processed in time. Do you know how long it takes to get this done?
I phoned them up, and they said that the person who does the registrations works IIRC Monday and Wednesdays - so I'm hoping mine was processed today. The logbook/licence then gets posted out immediately - 2nd class IIRC - and he reckoned I should have mine by the weekend. The on-line race registration facility is only set up by a volunteer though, so that happens as and when (he said approx 10 days), so it'll probably have to be a phone call to the race secretary to get the entry in.

As it's your home slope, you really ought to enter Wink . AIUI, you can enter one CN race per year without being SSE registered...so bang goes that excuse you were just preparing!

ski...no...of course he should do both snowHead .
latest report
Dunk, Are you going to come to christchurch on Saturday? Snowheads meet, cheer GrahamN, on and maybe ski a little. Very Happy Very Happy

GrahamN, I'm looking forward to seeing you "dribble" from the start!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
GrahamN, I have spoken to the race secretary who will chase up SSE if necessary and will receive entries by post. Her name is Denise and is super helpful. As you say I would be a day member as I am only doing one CN; my son has already done one this year so has to join.
Can't make either of the L&SERSA races in this area i am afraid although we are hoping to do the Tri region race in October.
CN it is then!!
snow report
Nick W, Can you come to christchurch on Saturday though? A jolly time will be had by all. snowHead
snow report
easiski, No sorry. I saw the thread but we are elsewhere. have a good one though. Looks like Welwyn on 10 June should have a quorum with ski, GrahamN, myself and son. Any others coming?
How do snowHead find each other at these types of events by the way?
snow report
Quote:

How do find each other at these types of events by the way?

That's easy ! GrahamN, is the fast one and I'm not. rolling eyes Graham has a snowHead 's sticker on his helmet, mine has Bowles stickers on it. We will also check out start numbers...
snow conditions
ski, Are your're initials SE. If so I have it worked out wink
snow report
Nick W, That's me ! snowHead How ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy