Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How hard is it to learn Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Any news on Tele lessons in June? 16th is best for me.... I was at MK today and they still rent out tele gear
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret wrote:
Any news on Tele lessons in June? 16th is best for me.... I was at MK today and they still rent out tele gear

No news yet but I'll post as soon as I know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was reading more of the posts I have to say you can use just about any skis to tele. Although learning on the old skinny tele skis was a real experience, I mount up alpine skis now and enjoy them more but I love speed and many tele skis get excited at mach. I still get out on the leather boots though it really tightens up the stance, your weight is centered over your skis or you're goin down, and powder in leather boots is still more fun, you can feel the snow so much more. The plastic boots do give so much more power and control though, and shorten the learning curve. Sounds like you shpuld have a fun class. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret,

I'm in a similar position to you, in that I'm working towards my ISIA and need to choose a second discipline. If I'm honest, snowboarding appeals more and would be more useful to be qualified as a board insutructor - if you're going to to the foundation you may as well continue to instructor (can hear the cash tills ringing at BASI...). I've spoken with a lot of telemarkers about it, and looking at speed of progression, as an alpine skier it is definitely going to be quicker to get to the required standard in tele than boarding.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Interesting to hear that you can progress faster with tele than snowboarding, I had assumed it would be the other way around. Another good reason for me to take up tele at some point Cool Cool

I had a couple friends do their APC module in tignes a few weeks ago and apparently it was real tough, so i think training for the alpine modules may have to come first for me and once those are out of the way then i can worry about second disciplines... I still fancy having a go at tele at the snow dome though....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A friend has spent the season learing telemark, and doing cross country as well. He took two 2 hour lessons, then practiced. Within 4 weeks, he was looking quite good to my untrained eye, and every time we stopped, any one nearby would ask him about the telemarking.
His summary, a reasonable skier would get used to the balance quite quickly, and the strain on the knees was negligable. The thighs, hovever, got a bit of a hammering, at first.
I was going to try cross country, but I think telemarking looks like more fun....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,

Another option is to the Adaptive course, although I have heard that it is a really tough course.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1, i heard the same thing and i recon telemarking is probably my best bet, just have to find the time to do everything.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bump - no news yet but I suggest we go June 16th and hack around anyway as when threatened with eviction for incompetence we can always revert to parallel turns!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol @ fatbob, i did that snowboarding Very Happy .

Can i tag along on 16th june Cool ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret,

Quote:

APC module in tignes a few weeks ago and apparently it was real tough

APC = carving i.e. what the slalom skis you are looking at are for snowHead

I'd do a bit of tele as well as your alpine training.... nothing get's you centred on the ski like a floppy heel ! For me (when going through BASI) it was also a relief to have something to do on snow that wasn't preparing for 2 Technical..... Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, sounds good to me count me in

what time? and given there are a few of us do you recon they will have enough tele rental gear? and size 12 boots pour moi?

ski, yup that is why i am on the hunt for race skis, I am going to a one week race camp to see how i get on and then perhaps later in the season go for the APC or APM module. When you did your 2 tech which module did you choose? I very much want to have a go at tele and as you say will help with my balance and alpine skiing, and, be FUN as opposed to being under the examiners microscope all day. just not enough time...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, I did APC - very good week. Quite hard, but learnt a lot Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski, that seems to be the more popular option as you can then get the coaching certificate but since i know nothing about racing am leaning towards APM... i am guessing will be VERY hard for me.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret, You don't need to know much about racing - although a little helps.

I thought it would be good preparation for 2 tech, lot's of focus on being in the correct place on the ski, and on turn initiation - but as I did my tech a long time ago I'm probably not the best person to ask. IMHO the standard of skiing required was 2 rather than 3, but, as I said - it's a long time since I did 2 tech.
snow conditions
my friends brother skiing

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v179/telemark_fred/?action=view&current=SkiTeaserDec04.flv

self taught as is friend.... Evil or Very Mad

although that one is an instructor now so I guess he had the lessons in the end
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Bump - no news yet but I suggest we go June 16th and hack around anyway as when threatened with eviction for incompetence we can always revert to parallel turns!

If we cant get an instructor not sure i will be able to go. I am trying to get a job there at the moment doing alpine teaching and ignoring the rules might not go down too well with the ski school director Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yeah I don't know what is up with Richard, his website's not been updated in a while & his office number (for his real business that pays the bills) has changed. Maybe he's just got too much on. There's usually a tele meet/weekend organised in September where beginners are welcome so I'll keep plugging away.
latest report
fatbob, thanks for persevering if it turns out to be sept that could work as well....
snow report
fatbob, As I said, thanks for trying. September would be good for me too.
snow report
abc wrote:
pam w wrote:
But is there any reason for telemarking other than it being difficult to do? Is there any terrain accessible for telemarkers but not for touring skis?

Yes, and no.

Tele skiers go to terrain that few AT (rondanee) geared skiers go. But it's not so much about the downhill part.

what's that s'posed to mean?

abc wrote:

Tele gears are way lighter than AT gear. Not having to have the mechanism to lock the heel down means simpler binding. And tele boots are lighter because there's no need to "brace" the ankle.

Huh? Pair of Dynafit bindings = 660 grammes, not sure there are any tele bindings that light. Most telemarkers ski plastic boots which weigh much the same as AT boots... and you can't easily put a step-in crampon on a flexible tele boot which restricts your terrain further.
ski holidays
Quote:

and you can't easily put a step-in crampon on a flexible tele boot which restricts your terrain further.

But you can fit a standard crampon fine - at least I've found no difference in fitting a crampon to my AT boots or my teleboots though I've not needed to use crampons much on either with the touring i've done.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, davidof,

Quote:

But you can fit a standard crampon fine

I've tried rigid step-in types - and as davidof, says - they don't work with tele boots very well, because of the duckbill. I have some lightweight CAMP LC390 (?) which are fine for snow - but are not confidence inspiring, or recommended for, mixed terrain. Mrs Skis' Denalis take a rigid stepin crampon really well. I know that Petzl do a specific front crampon wire for Tele - but don't know how good it is.

Quote:

Tele gears are way lighter than AT gear

Not true. My T1, Big Easy, Superloop setup is heavier than Mrs Skis' Denali, Phat Luv, Fritschi setup - and she gets a DIN release !

If I was starting touring again - I'd go the AT route wink
ski holidays
ski wrote:
I know that Petzl do a specific front crampon wire for Tele - but don't know how good it is.

that's interesting, I can see the roof of Petzl's factory from where I'm sitting, must wheel by and ask them about this.

One thing Telebooters report is broken crampons using teleboots due to the flex, maybe petzl's system gets around this?
snow report
davidof,

Quote:

One thing Telebooters report is broken crampons using teleboots due to the flex, maybe petzl's system gets around this?

Not sure -it's really just a wire to go over/around the duckbill. If you do go I'd be really interested in the results....I'm currently on the horns of the 'Do I by new crampons for Tele or give up and get some AT kit'.. dilemma....
snow conditions
Telemarking is harder to learn than boarding and skiing. It gets respect for that.

But it still looks rubbish.
ski holidays
Whitegold, thank you mr. positivity thats nice
snow report
Whitegold,
Quote:

But it still looks rubbish.

Is that because you can't do it? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think a good tele turn looks better and more elegant than a parallel turn, shame I can't do good tele turns yet Wink
latest report
Dave Horsley wrote:
I think a good tele turn looks better and more elegant than a parallel turn, shame I can't do good tele turns yet Wink

I agree, it's soulful, or something.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8009973217128158544

I did a lot of telemark with Renaud, a Parisian friend, three years back in the Ecrins. I made up this film and until I watched it right through didn't realise what a competent telemarker he is.
snow report
ANNOUNCEMENT JUNE 16 IS BACK ON FOR INTRO TO TELE SESSION.

Made contact with Richard who is very apologetic as his website has hung-up and is frozen in time inc incoming mail.

Headcount please and preferred ETA - I know some people may now have moved on with commitments
ski holidays
fatbob, im in as long as they have size 11 1/2 or 12 boots Toofy Grin would prefer noonish or early afternoon to allow hangover to subside
snow report
fatbob, ooh good, I'm in too. Noon or early afternoon suits me too - I have a training session at Aldershot until 9.30, so would have trouble being ready for action much before 11:30. Feet mondo size 27.5 (UK 8.5-9), but very wide so may have to go bigger to get the width.
snow conditions
fatbob, Thanks, June 16th is good, Noon or early afternoon is best for me, can't do the evening. Boot size Mondo 27.0

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 9-06-07 9:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob, Thanks for pm. I'm in too. Early afternoon is fine but I have to be away from MK by about 5.30pm. Boot size 10-10.5 UK.
Thanks for arranging Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy