Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding on French Roads

Poster: A snowHead
got nicked two months ago doing 135 KPH but it was raining hard so limit was 110. 90 euro on the spot and they were very interested in seeing my green card insurance certificate. luckily i had one but the feeling i got was there was angro in my future if i hadnt one to hand.

definately will be getting a green card for all future EU trips......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret,
Quote:

definately will be getting a green card for all future EU trips......

I was told they are not needed in the EU and if I wanted one please pay £35.00 Shocked I've changed insurance co's since then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yeah not sure about why they wanted to see it but they were more interested in that than my license. I got the feeling there were additional fines in the offing if you were drivingin uninsured....

my french is rubbish so can t be sure though...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, it could have been that they were looking for your green insurance card - the thing that French cars have stuck to their windscreen.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT,
Quote:

These are likley to be Motorbike cops as they can disembark and shoot from virtually anywhere. They may stand on what we would term a central reservation...!!

Had to double-take for a moment then - sounds like they are a little bit trigger happy on the continent then Laughing Laughing I'll take my time next time we drive down in the summer for fear of being shot and killed in transit by the Gendarmes.

In all seriousness - drove down last month and saw the fixed cameras easily enough but there were a couple of handhelds sneakily positioned behind trees, bridges, parked cars, coke cans wink , etc. Very inventive fellows and aided my wakefulness on the over night drive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MrDan,

I know what you mean. I had just negotiated a bend and the speed limit drops dowm from 90kph to 60kph and when the road straightened up, there were 2 bikes standing where the concrete barrier was. One was operating the gun from his bike and the other was flagging down the motorist. The rest is in my story where they asked for money but gave out NO ticket. Very odd...!! Our police are in danger of ostracising a large propotion of the public with their revenue-raising antics but even they can't pull strokes like that...!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Speeding fines are like the lottery - it's just a tax on the stupid... Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Speeding fines are like the lottery - it's just a tax on the stupid... Laughing

I wonder if they publish the make of car that the stupid are driving at the time of the offence................................, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Was going to take V5, licence and insurance docs - nothing else is there?

Don't forget your red triangle, first aid kit and spare set of light bulbs just in case they get really picky
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Nicholas wrote:
Quote:
Was going to take V5, licence and insurance docs - nothing else is there?

Don't forget your red triangle, first aid kit and spare set of light bulbs just in case they get really picky

and beam deflectors

and GB sticker

Driving licence (both bit's) for all drivers Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, and reflective jacket(s) be seen, be safe! snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AxsMan, If the H+S lot have their way we'll need to take a trailer for all the safety kit Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might just fly. Less hassle
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Ann,almost all of the speeding and bad driving we witnessed was not from the French, but from other neighbouring nations, including Britain. We know the fixed camera positions now, altohugh I think they've sneaked in a couple of extras since last year, but you're right there's not really any need to exceed the speed limit.
I agree completely, if any feel the need to exceed the 130kmp limits, or any of the others, be my guest, but dont be surprised at the outcome. Shocked

Be happy at the relatively easy movement you get on French Toll roads and compare that to the UK. You are able to set cruise and never switch it for a long time. There are very few journeys in the UK that it is possible to do that.

Be safe...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Outside the Eurotunnel on a friday morn couple of weeks ago-I have never seen as many traffic cops with hand helds as this year-outside Chambery airport every week -I got done on the far side of Lake Annecy 90 E on the spot Twisted Evil

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-04-07 9:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
BMF_Skier, 130kph is fast enough.
snow report
If you really want to save yourself some journey time, get a telepeage badge for the autoroute.
ski holidays
If you're on the A35 today, they have a handheld speed trap at the Bagersee junction (5) on the southbound side going towards Colmar.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote
Quote:
BMF_Skier, 130kph is fast enough.
I agree totally. I 've seen cars pass me a speeds well above the 100 mph, i suspect they'll complain if they get hit with a ticket. I've no simpathy for inapropriate speed! If people want to go way fast, they should do it in the unrestricted autobahns of Germany!

Maybe i'm different but I dont seen the need to rush when I'm driving to the Alps, I just allow adequate time. The French police will not only make you poorer, they'll hold you up for more time than you'll have saved.
Also
Quote:
If you really want to save yourself some journey time, get a telepeage badge for the autoroute.
Got the badge, and it worked flawlesly! Smile
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Sound advice snowHead They are cheap (virtually free @ 10 euros) and I reckon ours saved us at least an hour of queueing this year. I can't see any reason NOT to have one - puzzles me why more French dont?
snow report
AxsMan, maybe cause the French avoid the main Brit routes through their country? Laughing

(round here it's all free)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing I'd believe that if it wasn't for the fact that (at half term and Easter), most of the cars queueing for the peage booths were French Puzzled Laughing

(There also seemed a high proprtion of Belgians, Dutch and Germans, in addition of course to the Brits, NONE of whom were taking advantage of the get-out-of-queue-almost-free card available from Liber-T Laughing Laughing )
ski holidays
AxsMan, Long may it continue .....I worry that the amount of sH's using telepeage lanes is going to lead to queues Sad Sad
latest report
boredsurfin, maybe we'd better keep quiet about it then? I just checked my online bill, the total tolls were less than I thought, and certainly less than travelling to the Tarentaise.
snow conditions
Quote:

drove down last month and saw the fixed cameras easily enough but there were a couple of handhelds sneakily positioned behind trees, bridges, parked cars, coke cans , etc. Very inventive fellows and aided my wakefulness on the over night drive.

very glad to hear it. Vive les flics.....
snow report
Helen Beaumont, too late! I have mine and am looking forward to seeing if it works tomorrow en route to the EoSB - will report from Val T in due course snowHead
ski holidays
Yes, the Police has hardened its stance.
Yes, Viamichelin will show you the fixed traps.
No, the Police doesn't check the péage cards.
On the autoroute, speeding under 180 km/h will cost you a fine. Over 180 km/h can get you into more serious trouble.
snow conditions
philippeR, thanks for your comments. No doubt many of us will be interested that the police don't check the péage tickets. Why do we think that they do? I have never noticed a time on the ticket, but the journey time must show up on the computer at the pay booth, as they have a 24 hour limit on them I think. I have seen a lot of gendarmes stopping motorists at the booths though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the event the journey was ideal. Didn't see a traffic cop anywhere, made the journey in just under seven hours. Hardly anything else on the roads and save for some roadworks around Dijon no problems at all. Took me nearly five hours to get from Leeds to Folkestone the night before, and that's less than half the distance. philippeR, thanks for that info, will bear in mind on the way back
snow report
philippeR wrote:
Yes, the Police has hardened its stance.
Yes, Viamichelin will show you the fixed traps.
No, the Police doesn't check the péage cards.
On the autoroute, speeding under 180 km/h will cost you a fine. Over 180 km/h can get you into more serious trouble.

170km/h on autoroutes, 130km/h on country roads and 90km/h in towns I believe... you will be invited to walk the rest of your journey as this means an immediate 2 week ban (even for Brits).

Driving back from Val Tho yesterday everyone was careful to do 80kp/h through the Moutiers tunnel (speed trap) then Jonny Frenchman in a Tourag accelerated out the end like an F16 with the afterburners on only to pass two motorcycle cops waiting at the first layby. One of the cops was a pretty young blonde woman too.
snow conditions
davidof, Moutier Tunnel incident, GOOD! The amount of times I have gone through there at the speed limit only to have all the 73 plates and Belgiums accelerate like bats out of hell as soon as they have passed the camera!
Even been flashed by French cars for sticking to the speed limit Laughing
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
philippeR, thanks for your comments. No doubt many of us will be interested that the police don't check the péage tickets. Why do we think that they do? I have never noticed a time on the ticket, but the journey time must show up on the computer at the pay booth, as they have a 24 hour limit on them I think. I have seen a lot of gendarmes stopping motorists at the booths though.

They could use the ticket to trap you (though it would present, I assume, some legal issues) but they don't, never. Péages are private operations, probably not too keen to turn their customers to the police anyway.
The gendarmes love to intercept motorists at the booths because it's convenient, that's all.
BTW, beware of the last stretch of motorway between the last exit or rest area and the péage booth... very convenient to set a radar.
ski holidays
Just a quick note, I was listening to the French radio when they introduced the first speed cameras in the Tarentaise - there's one in the Moutiers tunnel, btw. They caught over a thousand people in the first weekend. One man who had one put outside his house was interviewed - "eet ees laike a thunderstorm. Flash, flash, flash. Can they not turn off zis thing in ze evenings? Sacre bleu, etc..." The end of the report said that for the moment they would not be pursuing foreign registered cars, for which I was grateful as Mrs Lizzard was driving one at the time and we didn't need any extra expenses.

As far as I know they still don't chase foreigners for camera offences, though daytripper.net has an article saying that the Police in the Calais region were prosecuting British drivers from camera evidence. A disturbing trend.

The recent crackdowns all started after a horrific accident. The Pompiers had been called to cut someone out of his car when a passing motorist, doing 130 in a 70 zone, mowed down and killed 8 firemen. He was a retired police chief. And pi...over the limit. It was all over the papers, the nation were calling him an assassin and worse. Then the driving stats for that year came out and despite being half as crowded as English roads, the French had twice the number of accidents per km of road. The road accidents and fatalities have been steadily dropping since the crackdown started, though I'm not sure I approve as they have removed a partially Darwinian factor from the French equation. Sad

I definitely wouldn't approve if my car could break the speed limit.
snow conditions
Well hopefully I was OK, but since my speedo doesn't work I have no idea. (British plates on the van though)
ski holidays
I got flashed in Reims going to the EoSB. Passed about 6 speed traps.
latest report
Just as a follow up, returned from Verbier yesterday - and got stopped by a speed trap doing 150kph on the autoroute just outside Bourg-en-Bresse. 45 Euro fine, cops seemed more interested in how fast my car would go rather than road safey implications. Also a marvel of policing efficiency - eight cops all lazing about in the sunshine chatting whilst one wrote the ticket. Had the desired effect though as the ensuing delay meant I missed the Chunnel crossing I was hoping to get. Less haste, more speed etc. etc. Speed limits for me in future Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
BGA,

Quote:
Just wondered what, if any, problems other snowHead s have had driving to the Alps this year?

I guess that answers your question then?
snow conditions
I was fined last week, in a very quiet sleepy village, with no speed limit signs (I had been sticking to the ones I'd seen, we were driving back off the peage). Ignorance of the law is no defence, and all that. I didn't know that in any place with a village name, even if it consists of two dilapidated pigsties and a long closed restaurant, the limit is 50 kph, whether or not there are any speed limit signs. I was doing 70 kph. 90 euro fine. In cash (which I didn't have, so he kept my documents whilst I drove back to the nearest place with a cash point machine). We live and learn. Whilst I was beside their car, paying, filling in forms etc, he ignored a significant number of people who went by at speeds very similar to the one I was doing when I was flagged down, but perhaps he had his required bag for the day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy