Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding on French Roads

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered what, if any, problems other snowHead s have had driving to the Alps this year? I've driven down the last four years and not encountered any issues, but from what I hear this year the French police have really tightened up their stance on speeding and there is quite a proliferation of cameras on the autoroutes. I'm driving down on Friday early morning from Calais to Verbier for the last week of the season and to bring stuff back from our apartment. I usually like to take advantage of the generally empty open autoroutes and have in the past cruised down at about 100 MPH but I don't fancy being arrested/frog(excuse the pun)marched to the cashpoint if they are cracking down.

Info much appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you must speed...
1. Check with viamichelin on the route you are taking. It will show you many of the fixed cameras that are around.
2. Tune in to local radio stations. They may well tell you of where the local cameras are that day (referred to as radar or flash)

It has been all over the local press here in Alsace about the police tightening up on driving. Not sure about the rest of the country.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BGA, There are more camersa now and as WTFH says via Michelin lists the fixed cameras for you. On the return trip the hand held radar gun just before Calais Peage booths at marker 38.6 has been in position in daylight hours on every trip we have made this year!
Also on the Calais stretch the Gendarmerie are patrolling in a Subaru Imprezza Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, and boredsurfin, many thanks, all noted. Got stopped by a North Yorks police unmarked Impreza the day after I got my current car for doing 70 during an overtaking manoeuvre in a 60 limit. Most unsporting. Copper even said it was a perfectly safe move but still did me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BGA,

If you get past the Calais Peage, still be wary as they may have hand-helds upto the port. They typically hide beyond bends as the speed level drops down from say, 90 to 60 and this can catch some out. These are likley to be Motorbike cops as they can disembark and shoot from virtually anywhere. They may stand on what we would term a central reservation...!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BGA, We counted 8 police cars /bikes with speed cameras during our trip there and back last week as well as at least one fixed camera which did not appear on my tomtom database even though I updated it before going. One of the other drivers in our party was pulled over and had a 90euro fine within 50 miles Calais. I did notice that although most of the fixed cameras are not as visible as in the UK most seemed to have a warning sign shortly before them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BGA, driven down twice this season, once to Meribel, and once to Les Arcs. Saw a few 'parked' gendarmes, who I guess were part of a speed trap, but never got stopped. Was cruising at 80mph/130kph so probably that accounts for it. don't see the need to go any faster than that to be honest. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA, We were done returning from a lads trip north of Dijon by radar gun out the back window of a Ford Focus sitting on the hard shoulder. 90 Euro cash fine and papers checked but the driver had been pushing it so it was kind of inevitable. I've driven with the family with the cruise set at 140kph 3 times this winter and had no problems, but seen plenty of traps and UK drivers being stopped particularly around Calais. As I understand it all cameras are signed by Radar Automatique signs but currently no Europe-wide agreement is in place for points and French police are unlikely to follow up if you are flashed. The signs for the manned traps read Radar Frequent or similar. Best option is not to speed (or go at night!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like my road trip may take a little longer than anticipated. Clearly need to be careful around Calais if in a UK registered vehicle!
Quote:

papers checked

Was going to take V5, licence and insurance docs - nothing else is there?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got done by a gendarme on foot once, just outside Calais. That was seriously denting to my pride. I was going at only just over the limit and had just been overtaken by a large BMW going at approximately the speed of light. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, and boredsurfin, many thanks, all noted. Got stopped by a North Yorks police unmarked Impreza the day after I got my current car for doing 70 during an overtaking manoeuvre in a 60 limit. Most unsporting. Copper even said it was a perfectly safe move but still did me.
Was it the silver one? Its a beaut
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BGA, any reason why you chose The Piste to post this thread?

Grumpily yours.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, 'piste' just means track or route. On that basis, threads about roads and speeding could be said to be appropriate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Twisted Evil

I'm actually a bit drained today - maybe I'll be better able to banter tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Speeding on French roads? DO IT Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Oops, I guess that wasn't the point of the thread...I'll get me coat
ski holidays
When we drove down from Calais to Chamonix the week before Easter the flics were well and truly in evidence, particularly just outside Calais - hand held cameras sticking out of car windows. Saw a few people pulled in at the next peage. So be warned.

Besides, frankly 130kph is fast enough for everyone I feel. I got heartily fed up with cars tailgaiting us in the fast lane flashing lights and 1 metre from our back bumper when we were doing 130kph overtaking. And they were British not French cars.
ski holidays
Ann,almost all of the speeding and bad driving we witnessed was not from the French, but from other neighbouring nations, including Britain. We know the fixed camera positions now, altohugh I think they've sneaked in a couple of extras since last year, but you're right there's not really any need to exceed the speed limit.
ski holidays
Tell them you are out of money
snow report
JT,
Quote:

When on-the-spot fines were introduced some time ago, it was said that your car would be impounded if you didn't come up with the readies and I heard of British drivers flagging one another down, to negotiate cash loans! But they accept credit card payments nowadays, don't they? Now that this sort of thing can appear as a point on your UK licence, I have given up driving at silly speeds in France. Must admit to having been caught speeding three times in France Embarassed but the last 14 years have been unblemished and, touch wood, my licence remains point-free. It's certainly true that, in the last couple of years, there has been a huge crackdown all over France on both speeding and drunk driving. And whilst it probably ill behoves me to say it, about time too.
ski holidays
JT,

Quote:

Doesn't work, they keep all your documents and give you a map to the nearest cashpoint machine so you can go and fetch the readies Shocked
snow conditions
Hurtle, I may be wrong, but I don't think the points on the UK licence for a french traffic offence has become reality just yet.
ski holidays
BGA, Don't bother about the fixed cameras. Just watch out for the Gendarmerie, always just outside Calais on the way back. 160kph all the way, unless it's raining. You've got to be going ballistic to get a big fine.
snow report
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

I don't think the points on the UK licence for a french traffic offence has become reality just yet

Oh really? There was certainly loads about this in the papers a while back, maybe it was just previewing the new regs. It was enough for me to start taking a bit more care, anyway!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, nope it was dark blue with chav special gold wheels. Nasty.

Sorry achilles I'll post similar questions in Buy, Sell, Exchange in future
snow report
BGA, I have been driving to ski resorts in France and Switzerland for 20 years now and have never seen a speed trap in France so far - am I just lucky. I must admit I don't go more than 80 mph this side of Reims. However past Reims on the stretch down to Dijon and beyond I am not far off 100mph on some of the stretches. I have heard that the police will somteimes check the peage card as you check out of one area into another to see if your average speed exceeds the law, but I have never seen this in practice.

Realistically all of us drivers are probably just plain stupid for speeding in that the difference in journey time it makes getting to our resort is probably not worth the risk of a fine. What's more it costs more because one's fuel consumption suffers for nothing.

Just sit on max speed limit and be patient - I wish that I would follow my own advice? Razz Smile
snow conditions
I'm doing 12 counties in 16 days in Aug - on bike, on B roads, inc the Nurbergring... Wales, England, France, Spain, Andorra, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Switzerland, German, Denmark, Sweden, Norway. Gonna be top tour. Now - which letter on plate to alter for the cameras hehehe.
ski holidays
Hurtle, It's possible for the French to pursue you through the British courts, but they can't even sort their own nation out, with regard to traffic offences, so unless they do you on the spot, you'll never hear a thing. I've been flashed 3-4 times in the past, never heard a thing. A mate did get nicked big time, being timed between the Peage's, but he was going flat out in his Aston.
latest report
DAVID SNELL,
Quote:

police will somteimes check the peage card as you check out of one area into another to see if your average speed exceeds the law, but I have never seen this in practice

I have - in the Rheims section - to my cost! rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Realistically all of us drivers are probably just plain stupid for speeding in that the difference in journey time it makes getting to our resort is probably not worth the risk of a fine. What's more it costs more because one's fuel consumption suffers for nothing.

But if I do 260kph I'll get there twice as quick! and I only get 16 mpg at 130kph anyway.

Given all the helpful info on this thread I think that a steady cruise down is in order
snow conditions
BGA, I've been driven to Spain in a car doing 7mpg so no matter how fast we drove we still took ages to get there because of all the fuel stops.
latest report
This is all very odd. I drove to and from Val d'Isere before Easter (23 and 31 March, if I remember correctly) and didn't see one radar or gendarme motor.

I agree with Ann though, 80 mph is plenty fast enough.
ski holidays
I got stopped in Calais and was told the fine was 90 eu and to hand over my passport which I was not too happy about Go to the bank and get it they said, as I told them I didn't have 90eu in cash. No ticket or anything. This was from two Motor bike cops who flagged me doing more than 60kph off a bend. I drove into town and tried to get cash without chip and pin and no one would do this. I tried a few banks. I drove back to the autoroute and told them this story. I then had to follow them to the police station, drop my car off and walk to the Bureau de Change. Still no one would give me cash on a CC so I went back and told them this again. The officer made me walk all over the building to an office where I thought I was going to be hauled in front of the top cop and given the mother of all bollickings, but might just get away with it. He walked over to the desk, picked up and my passport and said, "you go and be very careful". I took the hint.

It cost me about 2 hrs mucking about but saved the fine. Where would that money have gone...cash and no ticket..???

Scarpa, It will come to that...cloning will become widespread
ski holidays
4thefunofit, we drove back on the 31st March too, and the Reims=Calais stretch on Sunday 1st. No gendarmes seen at all, except at the Reims peage on the Saturday evening. As we had a telepeage badge, there wasn't anyone at the booth checking tickets.
ski holidays
Calais homeward bound nine times out of ten,
there is a Police car with a hand held radar gun (or sometimes one on a tripod) in a layby on the Right hand side opposite the kilometre marker on the central barrier at 38.6.
The pictures are relayed to a van parked just after the peage booths. They start with the speeding fine and then add 20€ for each additional problem, eg. no GB sticker/plate etc etc Sad

Contrary to popular belief they stop as many French Belgium and German driver's as British, of course the greater percentage of traffic is sometimes UK bound Toofy Grin
I have been driving to the Alps for the last 18+ years and speeds of other wink motorists have come down to the limit. Apart from the odd few Belgiums and Brit's
snow report
boredsurfin, is it always on a Saturday? We very rarely travel then,although it was there just after New Year, on a Monday morning. It definitely wasn't there on the Sunday morning last month.
latest report
...just remember, that if it takes you an hour to get the cash to pay the fine cause you were doing 150 instead of 130 on a 600km journey, that's the equivalent of dropping your speed to 120.

This morning, I'd advise you to drive withing the speed limit on the A4 near Haguenau, and on the N83 heading south of Illkirch towards Erstein.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, It doesn't seem to be there after 5pm or indeed Sundays but it is there most Saturdays / weekdays Toofy Grin
snow report
Twenty years ago, RAF personnel were advised that the Belgian police were giving out on-the-spot fines. If you couldn't pay it was no problem - they confiscated your car until you could. Seems a sensible approach to me. Mind you, there needs to be real police, not cameras, to enforce that. Which also seems a good idea.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...This morning, I'd advise you to drive withing the speed limit on the A4 near Haguenau, and on the N83 heading south of Illkirch towards Erstein.

Thanks for the warning wink
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Twenty years ago, RAF personnel were advised that the Belgian police were giving out on-the-spot fines. If you couldn't pay it was no problem - they confiscated your car until you could. Seems a sensible approach to me. Mind you, there needs to be real police, not cameras, to enforce that. Which also seems a good idea.

Seems a great idea to me in principle, it would out a lot of the ridiculous paperwork and messing around (to say nothign of the fake car details & driver IDs etc) plus of course a police officer can pick up on other crimes like drink driving that cameras can't.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy