Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Inspired Your First Ski/Snowboard Trip?

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of friends who own a chalet in Les Carroz convinced me to come out and have a go. Had a few dry slope lessons before we went and I was the slowest learner in our group (who is the sadist who invented snowplough linked turns Twisted Evil ), almost put me off! Once we got out to Les Carroz we were utterly spoilt and very well taken care of, got private lessons and never looked back.

And how can you not get hooked when for the first time you see the mountains covered in snow snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
What Inspired Your First Ski/Snowboard Trip?

My dad Rudy. Kitzbuhel 1959. Says it all. Magic!

As a six-year-old I was just gobsmacked by the scale of the snowfields and the adventures to be had.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always used to watch Ski Sunday as a kid, and always wanted a go myself, but despite the fact that my aunt owned an apartment in Cervinia for many years, my parents never took us (cost, I guess, with 4 of us - even the school ski trips were too expensive).

Then, at the age of 26, I was offered a place on a pre-trade fair jolly in Austria. I told the guy from the tourist board that I couldn't ski, and all he said was that, in that case, it would be the perfect opportunity to learn, because they were picking up the bill.

We arrived to thick snow in the village (even in a low Austrian resort), and skied as fat, blobby flakes fell, with fair visibility and not a breath of wind. That was it - I was hooked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My grandad went every year with a ski club and every Sunday we would all watch Ski Sunday together. Then we were lucky as my parents scraped by to send both my brother and I on 2 school trips each. God Bless them ! Thing is, up till last year the had never been themselves. So on pur first ever family winter holiday we strapped them onto our boards and pushed them down the nursery slope in Flaine ! Now they really want to learn ! My dad at 61 wants to carry on with learning to snowboard as he enjoyed it so much snowHead

Your never too old to get stung by the winter bug!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Waiting at the dry ski slope for my younger son who had himself booked on the school ski trip before he even started there. We have no history of skiing in the family (sounds like an illness put like that but then again the word addiction seems to pop up now and again Shocked ). He just decided age 11 he wanted to go, and watching the first few lessons I thought it might be more fun than my memory told me (had tried a couple of odd days while living in Austria and been put off by feeling out of control and the cold) and maybe clothing nowadays might be better so I wouldn't freeze and maybe it wouldn't be as extortionate as I reckoned.
The rest as they say is (recent) history. That was only just over a year ago - since then I have learnt when the cheapest train fares become available, how to use free airmiles and found discount - warm- gear. And I'm hooked it seems. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
never had any interest whatsoever until a couple of years ago when a mate said he had to check out apartments in Tignes for a school trip he was arranging and that there was a really cheap space available, two hundred and fifty quid for three nights for everything (flights, transfer, accomm, hire). Skiing still did not appeal top me, the three others on the trip were skiiers but two wanted to learn to board so I thought, yes, that is the one for me ........ the darkside Very Happy . Had 10 trips since in the last two seasons Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My boss at the time decided that we should go to Xscape MK for a team building exercise about 3 years ago. The rest as they say is history although I do keep reminding him of how much money he has cost me (hint I need a bigger rise to finance my trips).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Got the opportunity to go on a school ski holiday in 1969 to Kandersteg and paid for it working the previous summer holiday at a local farm and several paper rounds. Loved the skiing experience so much I manged two more school skiing holidays in the following years and a weekend in Aviemore through a ski club.

My next opportunity to ski came in 1981. Having spent about five years persuading my wife that it would make a brilliant holiday everything was booked for Mayrhofen, only to learn that my wife was expecting our first child Shocked - holiday canceled. Sad We then spend the next twenty five years making excuses about costs, difficulties getting the right holidays from work and a series of other reasons until last year we took the plunge and went on a budget skiing holiday in February 06, to a resort we had never heard of called Prato Nevoso in Italy. We absolutely loved it, the weather was brilliant, skiing fabulous and so we resolved to go again this year but wanted a more sympathetic teacher with smaller classes catering for the older skier - and a more comfortable hotel (with a bath!). By chance we heard about Easiski's over 50's learn to ski week and signed up for L2A in March. It was totally brilliant. Now I can't wait to get more skiing in this year. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and am working on Mrs Richard E for the PSB. Oh and I also heard about snowHead

For now it's a weekly visit to the local dry slope in Norwich (15 minutes from home), which is very good and about as close to the real thing as I can mange at present. Plans are already in place for a repeat performance at L2A in 08 and we have already converted about eight friends with no skiing experience to join us and give it a go!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I never saw the point of skiing -
no. 1 - exercise ! on a holiday ! Shocked
no. 2 - in the cold ! Shocked Shocked .
But in 2003 the brother-in-law told us we were to learn to ski with his family and go on hols together. I thought, well might was well try it, see what the fuss is about. I never once thought I would like it, especially during the dry slope lessons we took beforehand.
At the grand age of 35, after a week on snow, I saw the point snowHead
And we've been trying to do 2 hols a year, since. If it wasn't for the fact we took up scuba diving in 2002, I'm sure we'd aim for more skiing holidays.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Met my partner in November 2001 - he is from Valle d' Aosta, Italy and grew up skiing in and around Gressoney; he has skied since 5 years old. He persuaded me to give it a try and I went on my first ever ski holiday in March 2003 to Soldeu in Andorra. At first, I was a bit apprehensive as I thought it would be really cold and wet, etc but it was actually the opposite. I went to ski school and loved it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I started going out with my husband-to-be in 1979, we found that we both fancied trying out skiing so went to Puy St. Vincent in 1980. I then had a break of about 10 years for various reasons but then took it up again and have been mad keen ever since.
No longer got the husband, but still got the skiing. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was out in the Rockies on an ice climbing trip one Feb, and we had a few days where heavy snow resulted in high avalanche danger. My mate persuaded me to try skiing as he had never been either and fancied giving it a bash. Cue 4 days of fun and a new addiction snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Having been to the dry ski slope a couple of times and really enjoyed it, I thought it was about time we did some skiing on the real stuff so my wife booked a week in L2A as a 40th birthday present and have been hooked ever since.
My daughters constantly tell me that its the best holiday they have ever had Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My bird at the time.

I passed up the opportunity of Flintstone-style skiing when I was at school, as I had never been outside UK/Ireland.
In those days people had Summer holidays if they were lucky.

Foreign trips involving sightseeing had more appeal. Besides snow quickly turned to slush, people broke legs(tell me about it !)and skiing was not for the likes of me - it was for Roger Moore and co.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My parents were skiers. We lived in Salzburg for 2 years when I was a child, and we skied in Lofer--stayed in a mountain hotel (which still exists and I went there recently again with my son..)
But then I didn't ski for many years (though I WAS addicted!)...no opportunity again until I was in my mid-thirties, when I took my daughter to Yugoslavia, where she learnt to ski and broke her leg at the end of the first week. (She was 9,... she decided to go up the mountain on her own... and ski straight down,...) However, after that episode we went skiing each year and she became very good... My son learnt to ski at age 6--and he is pretty good but is not so keen recently as I am...hopefully this may change yet..
Little Angel
snow report
My family were never able to afford to send me on the school ski trips even though I spent 6 years of my childhood in Germany (dad was in the RAF). Then when I joined the RAF myself, finished my training and got out to my first unit, in Germany funnily enough, I could finally afford to go. There was also the lure of a certain young lady too. She was a keen skier and we took our first trip together to Mayrhofen, she flew in and I got the train from where I was based. Probably one of the most enjoyable Christmases I have ever had. Been hooked ever since. snowHead
snow conditions
too much red wine one sunday lunchtime
latest report
The family and me were in the Auvergne in France and suddenly came upon a mountain, covered in snow, lifts and skiers!! I said 'that looks fun I want a go!' One ski lesson later and I was hooked.
Due to time and big money constraints it took me many years before I progressed to skiing parallel, but I've loved every second of it.
latest report
I did a week's ski school at Hillend nearly thirty years ago and enjoyed it but wasn't bitten by the bug (possibly due to the fact that my younger sister was a better skier than me). Fifteen years later I was at a conference in Keystone and had a lesson and loved it but never had a chance to follow it up.

Fast forward to my children going to Hillend for ski school. My daughter couldn't go on the tow and gave up after a couple of days. We then took her to the dry slope in Glasgow and she got the hang of it and then the children said "When are you going to learn?" I've been three weeks and desperately now trying to work out how to do more. Maybe the EoSB next year...
ski holidays
Was at the Chiropodist having verukas seen to. He bought up the conversation of skiing and asked if I had been. Told him I had always wanted to but was too old at 39. He said you are never too old as he was in his late fourties when he started. Went and persuaded husband to try, booked for Alpbach 2000 and have never looked back. Love everything about skiing.
snow report
My first trip was xc skiing in Venabu, Norway. inspired by an article in a woman's magazine (possibly Woman's Journal) back in about 1991, I think.

Anyway, we booked the same hotel as in the article, and enjoyed it so much, we went back the next year.
snow conditions
Standing at the bottom of a ski slope somewhere in France aged 6 watching my older brothers being sent off skiing and my Dad telling me I was too young to join in. I think I cried and moaned about the injustice of it for a solid year so the next year I got to go along too.
ski holidays
I was a young 20 year old living at home, had a factory shutdown week one March and me and my mate got paid and went drinking Friday lunchtime, decided a holiday would be a good bet. The girl in the travel agents said we would be pushing it to get antwhere hot for our 100 quid budget and maybe we should take an allocate on arrival ski hol to Austria. We flew out the next morning ended up in Mayerhofen and had a bloody good time. Was temporarily and rudely interrupted by marriage and children but now they are all old enough to come they are forced to endure the now annual ski holiday and are actually beginning to enjoy it.....................how I miss those 100 quid ski holidays.
snow report
Watching Klammer win the Olympic downhill on TV.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy