Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Inspired Your First Ski/Snowboard Trip?

Poster: A snowHead
I know we're all addicts here, and can't imagine a life without skiing/boarding, but at one point we all had obviously never been skiing. Many of my friends have never been skiing, and its quite simply because they dont really have any interest in going, whereas im sure many would love it if they went.

So, what made you go? Its a lot of money to spend on something you've never done before and might not like!

Personally, i went on a cheap school trip and was recommended to go by my friend who was also going and had been going with his family for many years... I would have probably never had gone if it wasnt for that trip...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A work colleague said she had always wanted to learn and so had I, so we went on a "learn to ski" week in St Wolfgang so wan't too expensive. Unfortunatley there was very little snow just some icy patches and lots of grass! - as my instructor said "if you can ski on this you can ski on anything".

When I was 16, in the seventies, my then boss said "you'll never be able to ski - you're the wrong build" (short and fat). It took me 15 years to be able to prove her wrong, but Yah Boo Sucks Mrs Harrison! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friend organising a trip and lots of friends going plus I was taking my rugby less seriously.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The sight of a big beautiful mountain crowned in snow - Mt Hood, Oregon.

(Not a "ski trip", just first time on skis.)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd learnt on a dry slope and then when I went to secondary school there was the option of a ski trip which I went on, my parents learnt at the same time I did and from there it wasn't much of a step to family trips.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was bullied into it. I didn't want to go Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never had any intention of going skiing really; but when muted as a Xmas trip to avoid the annual 'Whose family are we going to upset this year by not staying with them ' conundrum seemed like a good idea ... so perversely it was our families who drove me to it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc, me too. MrsTallTone made me do it. I couldn't see the point of spending the thick end of five grand (I have three kids) on a week's holiday when I could have two weeks in the sun for less. Now I can't see the point of spending the dosh on two weeks in the sun when I can put it to a week's skiing! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had made friends with a Swiss lady - Eva, through my work and we started to visit when she returned home. During a summer trip she had spoken about the high glaciers which had snow all year. Now snow had always been special to me as a child - we never got much down in the SE even when I was a kid and always went sledging with dad and built snowmen when it came. We were camping and Eva said that we were not far from the Corvatch where I could ride the cable car and stand on snow in August!! A trip we duly made - though didn't ski. Having seen my love of snow it wasn't long before she suggested that we visited to ski, and had a friend with a chalet some distance up the valley in Lenzerheide/Valbella. This was about 10+ years ago and we went for a couple of years - but as I've often said had very long planks and no lessons and got no-where. We then both went off and had our families so that curtailed things a bit, but now the kids are old enough we now started to have a skiing holiday together again for the last 2 years
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two girls
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Was living in Zurich for a winter so one of my colleagues who had skied before suggested we should go skiing for a weekend.

From that very first weekend I was hooked and went pretty much every weekend for the rest of that winter.

This year, I decided to give up work and concentrate on my skiing. Best move ever Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I was nine I "borrowed" my mothers telemark skis and went for a slide in the field next to my house ( I seem to remember she wasn't to happy about this Little Angel ) Then got lessons though school at hillend. "First Trip" was a weekend at Cairngorm again with my school aged 11.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A new friend I'd met recently spoke with such enthusiasm about skiing I went for the first time last year and was hooked.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was always a scuba diver and Mr Leis a skier since childhood. The deal was he got his Padi and I learnt to ski. He is now qualified and I can sort of get down a mountain Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I never intended to do downhill skiing, minded my own business and concentrated to learn the cross country skiing.

After 3 days I accidentally found out (because the other couple who skied with us changed to downhill) that it is far less work to sit on chairlifts to go up a slope and let the gravity to do the rest.

Never go back to the cross counrty ever since.
ski holidays
Started when a I was going around with a big group of friends and one of them said do you want to try skiing said yes, we were a group of about 15-20 people for 4-5 years and have skiied ever since (20 years next year).
Very Happy

The sad thing is that out of that group only 3 people including myself still ski - all dropped by the wayside with wives, husbands and kids - the normal excuses. Confused
latest report
A mate at work suggested going to Sol by the time we went I had done 15 sessions at Crystal Palace dry slope and owned my own rear entry boots Laughing
ski holidays
Russell,

People jump the gun. You jumped the boots or should I say "jumped in"
ski holidays
My brother convinced me to shell out a lot of moeny to go on holiday to somewhere cold.
snow report
A bit like Megamum, I grew up in the South East where snow was special due to its rarity. I requested a toboggan (?sp) for Christmas in about 1970 and got given a Davos wooden job (which I still have) and it was actually a white Christmas and I was able to use it on Merrow Golf Course on Christmas Day and Boxing Day... heaven.

I always watched Ski Sunday.

In 1985 at the tender age of 28 I finally had the magic combination of some disposable, friends who wanted to go skiing (and weren't complete beginners) and a wife who also wanted to go. We went to Flaine for 2 weeks, I wore borrowed kit (other than the boots that I had already bought at the Birmingham Ski Show) and I have been a happy snowHead ever since - actually I have only been a snowHead for a year, but philosophically I think I have been one all my life Embarassed
snow report
I always remember not being able to afford the school ski trips and really needing to know what I had missed out on.
A discussion at college prompted a first holiday when we start work will be a ski trip and it was - didn't manage a summer holiday until my honeymoon nealry 10 years later and have had only one summer sun holiday since then
snow conditions
ashton parker, I was jealous of those that could afford the shool ski trip too - we couldn't.
snow report
At school one of the off-site options was skiing at the local dry slope - so tried that at age 14.
Didn't do the school trips and felt i'd missed out
Then at uni met a skiing mad boyfriend and hey presto - started going on ski trips.
Boyfriend has long gone but love of the mountains is still strong.
Then met another man (Typical eh!!!!) who was a beginner skier in Les Arcs. As we were still together the following season decided to both start from the same point and become beginner snowboarders...
Loved it... haven't really been on skis since then.
(Although I have kept my boots as I might do it again in the future...)
snow conditions
Did some skiing on a dry slope and loved it, so convinced my parents to take me on a trip to ski "the proper stuff". The start of an expensive addiction!
snow report
Ski Sunday, a fascination for snow, big mountains and the opportunity to go on a school trip to a small Swiss resort I can't even remember the name of!
snow report
Break up of a long term relationship. Determined to do something that made me feel like I'd achieved something without a certain waste of space Proved to be excellent therapy which I still prescribe myself at least once a year!!
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Ski Sunday, a fascination for snow, big mountains and the opportunity to go on a school trip to a small Swiss resort I can't even remember the name of!

Wouldn't have been Morgins would it? The school I went to always did trips there. I never went as my parents said they couldn't afford it, but they could afford it for my sister (along with a horse and all the other expensive stuff to boot)
snow report
I was depressed after a break up with my boyfriend, so sister and friend suggested a ski-ing trip to Wengen. Loved it, subsequently got back together with said boyfriend (now husband of 12+ years), introduced him to ski-ing, went every year until 1st baby, then a gap whilst children were small and we were buying a smallholding, now the children are old enough to ski we are trying to go more than once a year. Just back from 2nd week this season with great snow, children experienced their first powder and skied their first blacks, only downside was breaking my arm (first ever ski-ing injury). Already planning next season, we are not really into hot summer holidays, so prefer to save the cash and leave for ski-ing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Inspired? More like shamed (into skiing at my first trip).

Went for a day on the slope (I lived near snow for some years) with my school mates. I was the only one who, even at the end of the day, couldn't get to the top of the tow rope without falling! Sad

So, it became a challenge I had to accept. I went as often as I could and by the end of the season, I was able to ski more varied terrain than anyone else in the group (some in the group quit though). Slowly, I "took" to it and now want to do it as often as I can afford.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 10-04-07 21:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My parents could never afford the school skiing trip for me or my bruv. However, I will for my kids if they still do it - the thing is that by then I think they will outski all their mates and may get nothing out of it!

I too was hooked on ski sunday as a kid and can remember cheering Franz Klammer down the slopes.

gamekeeper, I'm getting rumblings of familiarity here - have you ever bought Anglo-Nubian goats off someone in Essex?
ski holidays
my cousins have been going for years so when i claimed tax back i was owed i figured if i didn't do something with the money i would just waste it on stupid stuff!! now i go every year and fully intend to take a ski instructors course when i finish college!!

i think it's a disease........ Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Ski Sunday

how could i forget?!?! and eurosport with ski-jumping twice a week!!! legend!!!
snow report
worked in an outdoor education centre, it was compulsory. part of the reason i switched to skiboards
ski holidays
A friend talked me into it, so he didn't have to pay the single supplement to go alone, then when I got to Verbier, I had the most amazing looking blonde ski instructor, she had the most fantastic backside I had ever seen. I would follow her anywhere. I was hooked. That was 1979. the rest is history.
snow report
My dad - at 3 I didn't actually have any choice! Shocked
snow conditions
needless to say apres ski isn't exactly a turn off!!! Laughing
ski holidays
Went out with a chalet girl for a while - couldn't understand what she was blathering on about, then at the end of a 6 month job where we were on call every other night, a mate persuaded me that the only real way to de-stress was to ski. Tried it. Hooked. That was 1986. I guess that is well over £100k on personal and family ski trips and gear since. Crazy isn't it?
latest report
Quote:

I guess that is well over £100k on personal and family ski trips and gear since

Heavens - is that what I'm letting myself in for Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
ah who cares about money as long as you're having a bloody good time Very Happy
latest report
While I was watching Ski Sunday one day, my wife out of the blue said "you enjoy watching that, do you want to try a ski holiday for your christmas/birthday present?"

So a week last minute in wherever I could get cheap (turned out to be Verbier Puzzled ), and I was hooked instantly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy