Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot bag as Hand luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if someone has asked this before but I have a quick question

I have got my new boots with my new bootbag and am flying Easyjet on Sunday and I have two options:

put the boots in my case, but then have less room in my case

or

Take my boots in my bootbag as hand luggage.

I think I'd rather do the latter, but are there any problems with this that anyone is aware of?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I took my boots as handluggage with Ryanair a few weeks back flying to Milan. They were fine about it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shouldn't this be in this thread wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24942
ski holidays
 brian
brian
kosciosco, if your bootbag fits the dimensions 56x45x25 cm it should be fine. Mine doesn't but I have a small case that does and my boots fit inside it and I took it last week from Edinburgh and Heathrow no problem.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, Yep, it definitely should be!

But when I looked for questions on this, all you get is can I put Boots in my case!

brian, Thanks, shall measure my boot bag!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, my experience is different from shoogly, . I had heard that easyjet are fine with it. I was prohibited from taking boots on as hand luggage with ryanair. I had a proper boot bag, this was the problem. I have since taken them with me in a normal carry on bag and the check in staff were not concerned.

It is probably that there is no actual rule and if one check in person wants to make an issue of it they will. I was told they could not carry them as they would be a security risk!!! Fine, but if it is for security why are my boots not confiscated at the security xray screening? I personally think that the particular girl in Liverpool was just being a ####hole. Be sensible about it, do not draw attention to them and put them in a normal bag and you will probably not have a problem.

Hopefully someone on the forum that work for the no frills airlines can give us a definitive answer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, try this

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22735&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have mentioned this elsewhere on the site but I was told in January at the bag and body search, by the security that you are now unable to carry Ski Boots as cabin Baggage. This was not an airline rule but a national regulation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I flew to and from Geneva with easyjet from Bristol last week. Took my boots on in bag as hand luggage - nobody was least bit interested. I did have a lipsalve confiscated though as it wasn't in a polythene bag with other liquids.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
can back from Granada with ryanair on wednesday not a problem with my boots but the confiscated my water that i had just paid 3euros for from the airport shop, snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had confirmation from first choice airlines, boot bag dimensions a tad over limits of hand luggage, but assured that it will be no problem. That's what the ski office staff said...........You watch, on saturday it'll be, "sorry sir, but you were given the wrong information, that'll be five squillion quid per kg over your allowed weight"!!

Cheers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Standard boot bags usually don't fit the hand luggage dimension rules. I don't know about any national regulation, but I've never been stopped at security with my boots in a bag that did fit the hand luggage dimensions, the last time being 10 days ago.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My bootbag is about a cm over dimensions if I stuff it full of stuff. But with my boots in it then it's well under dimensions as it's a soft bag and squashes. All I ever carry in it are boots, goggles, gloves, travel docs and a few little bits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would also say you'd be fine with boots as carry-on: never had any problems to date with ryanair, easyjet, or Swiss. If your bag's under the dimensions and weight for hand luggage, I don't think an airline should refuse carriage.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, let's get a few simple facts straight here..

1. IT'S NOT THE AIRLINES THAT ARE ENFORCING THIS RULE IT'S THE SECURITY PEOPLE.
2. THE AIRLINE CAN SAY YOUR BAG IS OK AND THE SECURITY PEOPLE SAY IT IS NOT. THEN YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO THE AIRLINE AND GET IT CHECKED IN
3. IF YOU WANT TO BE GUARANTEED TO GET ANY BAG THROUGH SECURITY, IT'S MAXIMUM DIMENSIONS MUST BE 56X45X25 - STANDARD BOOT BAGS TEND TO BE A DIFFERENT SHAPE TO THIS, SO MAY WELL NOT BE ALLOWED THROUGH SECURITY.
4. THE RULES ON LIQUIDS APPLY. SEE THE BAA SITE.

IF YOU GET AWAY WITH OTHER SHAPES OF BAGS, ETC, THEN YOU ARE GETTING AWAY WITH IT. THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S ALLOWED.

Sorry for shouting, but we've discussed this often enough, and there are signs up all over the airports!
snow conditions
Re hand luggage: beware that easyjet terms and conditions seem to state 55 x 40 x 20
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, spoilsport. This was providing at least one lengthy discussion a week, now what we gonna talk about Puzzled
snow report
zebedee, it still is, because a lot of people ignore the facts given so far, preferring to ask if a boot bag that is 40X40X40 is allowed. (the answer is NO).

Oh well, next time I'll just shout it a bit louder.

See, I don't know much, but I have probably made more flights in the last year than anyone else on here, and when you are making regular flights, you can get annoyed when there's a bloke in front of you arguing with security over why his large bag should get through, or a lady arguing that her handbag doesn't count as a bag, even though the security people say it does...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
but I have probably made more flights in the last year than anyone else on here, and when you are making regular flights, you can get annoyed when there's a bloke in front of you arguing with security over why his large bag should get through, or a lady arguing that her handbag doesn't count as a bag, even though the security people say it does...

Agreed.

Im flying every week & really think security should have express lanes for people who know the rules Smile
ski holidays
I don't know why some of you have such big bootbags. Mine, with boots in it, is 40x35x25cm and the max size for BA is 56x45x25cm - are there really boot bags bigger than that?
snow conditions
petemillis, my boots are each around 15cm wide and 30cm long. Not sure how high they are.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, You are right it is the security folks but the fact is that the 'rules' are interpreted differently in each country and the UK is the strictest. Ex-UK a handbag is another bag , while the interpretatation in other EC countries is that it is not - I can only vouch for about 10-15 airports since the new rules came in. So you can see why foreigners get confused by 'draconian' Britain ... not that there aren't loads of people trying it on of course.

Last Friday my SO had her 'handbaggage' identified by security as being possibly 'overweight' at Stansted - the security guard had scales and claimed there was a 9kg limit (she was way under) --- that is wrong as weight is an airline restriction afaik so what was he doing?.

All the signs up saying 'You can buy what you like inside' ... suggest the BAA is more interested in fleecing us for money than it is in enforcing security. This just shows what a dumbarse lot they are as people would have more shopping time if they only put more folks on the security points ...

BTW _ I can't see how any bootbag is greater than the dimensions !
latest report
Always baffled me that one. We`re allowed one piece of hand baggage which much conform to very strict/precise dimensions - but - we can load up with as many bags of `duty free` (or whatever it`s called these days) as we want - presumably because the airport authority makes an absolute killing out of it.
snow report
beetle, the reasons given for the hand luggage size tend to focus around the speed at which it can be scanned for security purposes (hence why laptops need to be taken out of bags - there's so much electronics going on in them, the scanners don't pick up what is around them as clearly)
Once in duty free, you are able to buy goods which are pre-scanned, so they are known to be safe.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
zebedee, it still is, because a lot of people ignore the facts given so far, preferring to ask if a boot bag that is 40X40X40 is allowed. (the answer is NO).

Oh well, next time I'll just shout it a bit louder.

Very true. I'd already said the same thing (in fewer words and virtually no capitals Toofy Grin ) coupla posts before you.
snow conditions
The BAA rules are something else: overkill, to say the least. And I thought that the TSA restrictions were stingy!

I had success with this bag during my recent travels to Austria and Germany:

http://www.highsierrasport.com/ItemDetail?itemNum=AT305

My boots fit in the main bag without any difficulty, with room to spare for other ski clothes (things like ski socks and long underwear were stuffed in the boots). Made it through without an issue.

The detachable day pack was left at home, BTW. I had another backpack that I checked, containing other clothes and whatnot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy