Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's chucking it down in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Diarmuid wrote:
sure, it was:

MARMOTTES
15, chemin des Couchires
Les Praz
74400 Chamonix Mont-Blanc
Tel : +33(0)450533128

The lady was very friendly and helpful and it was only about 25 mins walk to center of Chamonix. Definately recommended. The only issue could be availability as there were only 3 double rooms but give it a shot anyway. My friends also found a place out the other side of Cham. If you don't have any luck with this place I will find his number for you.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alex, try hotel pointe isabelle, is in the centre of chamonix and very reasonable. always seems to have availability and is very adequate
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alex_sauvage, you could also try the Hotel Vert, Hotel Richemond, etc. Or just try the T.O. Central Reservations. You can find it using that amazing website, giggle (?), moogle (?), Mogul (?). It's a very large number anyway... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch wrote:
alex_sauvage, you could also try the Hotel Vert, Hotel Richemond, etc. Or just try the T.O. Central Reservations. You can find it using that amazing website, giggle (?), moogle (?), Mogul (?). It's a very large number anyway... Twisted Evil

In fairness to Alex he said that he had trouble finding a place and I can tell you first hand that my friend rang 30 places last Thursday trying to get some accom in Chamonix (and failed).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diarmuid, Blimey! I know town's busy...but that's outrageous!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I booked hotel pointe isabelle for myself for next weekend and for a friend for this weekend last week. Must be worth a try.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mr ted wrote:
I booked hotel pointe isabelle for myself for next weekend and for a friend for this weekend last week. Must be worth a try.

Thanks guys! I e-mailed a few places that you mentioned, will see what happens . Unfortunately I can not call them direct, since French is not-existing. I really didn't expect Chamonix to be that busy -seems to be such a big (relatively speaking) place.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:

Under T.O. you mean "Tourist Office"?? I contacted them - unfortunately they don't deal with short stays (4days) javascript:emoticon('Sad')
Sad.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_sauvage,
You could try ringing the hotels and asking in English a lotof them will speak some.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
alex_sauvage,
You could try ringing the hotels and asking in English a lotof them will speak some.

I'm pretty sure you are right - I just wasn't thinking straight that early in the morning, but with the time zone difference, e-mail seems like easier way out.
In any case thanks for the help guys - I got a couple of responses from some B&B, so I probably should be fine. Just have to finalize my arrival date. One more question: since ski areas seems to be spread along the vallley, how one gets around? I know there are ski buses (and train?), but how convinient it is in real life? And if one has to drive around are there big parking lots close to lifts (North American style)? I probably should move this discussion to "Resort" section, I just hope you guys don't mind. Thanks again
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_sauvage, don't they? How unreasonable! I found a few hotels (not in central CHX I will admit) searching for 4 nights...you could search that and call the ones that have space. Whether they'll sell to you is a different matter...

If you haven't already, I've used the Hotel Vallee Blanche in March and it was OK. You may find yourself in Les Houches or Argentiere (that is not necessarily a bad thing...)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:
alex_sauvage, don't they? How unreasonable! I found a few hotels (not in central CHX I will admit) searching for 4 nights...you could search that and call the ones that have space. Whether they'll sell to you is a different matter...

If you haven't already, I've used the Hotel Vallee Blanche in March and it was OK. You may find yourself in Les Houches or Argentiere (that is not necessarily a bad thing...)

Thanks David for your advice. But I'm confused here: if I can find accommodation available thru "search engine "for 4 days, doesn't it meant they are willing to "sell" it?? I always thought it is kind of "binding agreement". What is that part about calling the hotel?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you can't find any accomodation for 3 nights, then book and pay for four nights and leave after three.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mr ted wrote:
if you can't find any accomodation for 3 nights, then book and pay for four nights and leave after three.

It's another way around : I can see a few place for 3 days, but not for 4. So I either will come one day later; find place for one night somewhere else, or keep sending e-mails to B&B's, which I'll do
right now Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_sauvage, this is where we stayed. I think the French holidays are finishing up around now so the accom pressure should be easing off. Some great views from the B&B. I do love Chamonix Smile
latest report
Diarmuid wrote:
alex_sauvage, this is where we stayed. I think the French holidays are finishing up around now so the accom pressure should be easing off. Some great views from the B&B. I do love Chamonix Smile

Thanks, it looks nice and the view is beautiful. I finally got my head around booking system and I think I have a couple of nice options. Which brings another question: I’ll have 9 skiing days to split between Zermatt and Chamonix. I was planning: 6(Zermatt)/3(Chamonix). What would you recommend?
snow conditions
Alex In Chamonix we stayed at Gite Vagabond, cheap and properly low budget but food is really good as is atmosphere.
ski holidays
alex_sauvage, I assumed that the online booking/enquiry system from the Tourist office wouldn't give you the option of 3 nights...so my thought was to start by identifying potentials that had 4 nights available and see if a phone call would have them selling you 3 nights only...but it sounds like you've worked it out.

As for the Zermatt/Chamonix ratio...tricky. I haven't skied Zermatt, only the Cervinia side. It's OK but if you're a decent skier I think you might get bored. I believe the Zermatt side is (at least) a little more entertaining. That said, we only had an afternoon in Cervinia and only because the snow in Champoluc was so pants (New Year 2006) so I'm probably not best acquainted. I reckon both places are equally stunning. Once you've seen one Matterhorn you've seen them all, eh?

Here's maybe a way to think about it - perhaps a Zermatt expert might contribute the other side?

Days to spend in CHX in no particular order:

1 day Grands Montets. Best skiing in Europe IMHO. Partially because there are so many strong skiers up there - so the bumps are great.
1 day Vallee Blanche. Sorry, but you really have to do it if you haven't before.
1 day heliskiing in Italy if you're into that?
1 day well of piste with a guide (you could try my friend Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com)
1 day off the back of Le Tour into Vallorcine or just yo-yoing the Index chair in Flegere (especially if it dumps big and stable stylee).

Hope that helps...
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
alex_sauvage, I assumed that the online booking/enquiry system from the Tourist office wouldn't give you the option of 3 nights...so my thought was to start by identifying potentials that had 4 nights available and see if a phone call would have them selling you 3 nights only...but it sounds like you've worked it out.

As for the Zermatt/Chamonix ratio...tricky. I haven't skied Zermatt, only the Cervinia side. It's OK but if you're a decent skier I think you might get bored. I believe the Zermatt side is (at least) a little more entertaining. That said, we only had an afternoon in Cervinia and only because the snow in Champoluc was so pants (New Year 2006) so I'm probably not best acquainted. I reckon both places are equally stunning. Once you've seen one Matterhorn you've seen them all, eh?

Here's maybe a way to think about it - perhaps a Zermatt expert might contribute the other side?

Days to spend in CHX in no particular order:

1 day Grands Montets. Best skiing in Europe IMHO. Partially because there are so many strong skiers up there - so the bumps are great.
1 day Vallee Blanche. Sorry, but you really have to do it if you haven't before.
1 day heliskiing in Italy if you're into that?
1 day well of piste with a guide (you could try my friend Lars at www.mountainpenguins.com)
1 day off the back of Le Tour into Vallorcine or just yo-yoing the Index chair in Flegere (especially if it dumps big and stable stylee).

Hope that helps...

Thanks David for the directions. I'll put Grand Montets and Le Tour into my itinerary. Looks like Vallee Blanche is the thing to do. It sounds like one need the guide to ski it. Is it really so, and if yes how do you get around finding one?
ski holidays
alex_sauvage, You are massively better off (unless you really know your crevassed back country you need one) with a guide, not only because if you're a good skier there's more than one route down, and some are more fun than others...

One recommendation is my chum Lars who you can find at www.mountainpenguins.com . Blimey, that's the 3rd recommendation of the day, I must ask for commission. Ignore his snowboard orientation, unless you are one. He's as good on skis.

Otherwise, Compagnie des guides du mont blanc should be google-able...

The "classic" Vallee Blanche route is, hmmm, pedestrian - but beautiful. There are lots of much more fun things to do on the descent if you're up for it.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I am going for the first time on Sat for a week. Are the conditions still as good as I've heard? Will I find it hard (avg. intermediate), are the buses a big a pain as people say? So many questions the answers to which will be revealed on Saturday. I am v. excited snowHead
ski holidays
Beverley, Hi there. Well if you were here this week I'd be super confident of lovely warm spring conditions - although that means slushy afternoons. However a major front is lurking and may be thinking of passing over early the week you're here so who knows what might happen. Puzzled

The snowpack is very deep above 1,800m though so you shouldn't have any issues on the snow front.

No, the buses aren't as bad as described. They're regular and free. No worse I wouldn't think than say taking the bus from Morzine to Avoriaz.

I don't think you'll find the skiing too hard but without seeing you ski... I'd suggest warming up in Le Tour, Brevent-Flegere or Les Houches before heading up the Grands Montets though.

So all in all, I'd expect you to have a great time. Usual caveats of course apply...
latest report
David Murdoch, Sorry, one last question before I go. Is there a particular ski hire shop that you would recommend? In Zermatt this Jan I tried out women-specific skis and whether or not it was down to them, skied really well! Just wondered if you knew of a hire shop that was likely to have something like this as not all do.

Ok is see the weather looks like it's changing, but I'm one of those strange girls that quite enjoys white-out skiing so won't let it put me off Cool

Thanks again!
snow report
Beverley, we use Ski Set - you can reserve online from our website www.ski-chx.com - I know the chicks were out last weekend and had very girly skis.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, Thank you, thank you..... Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy