Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff: What's the weather like in January?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. the group I ski with are looking at sorting out next years trip already. We've found what looks like a good early deal in Jan 2008 to Banff. What's the weather like out there at that time of year?

Jon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In February it can be bloody freezing, but it isn't necessarily. I wouldn't let the temps put you off; the place is geared up for it and it's easy enough to wrap up warm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In January too! Toofy Grin

You can normally get pretty good last minute deals to Banff in Jan & Feb - winter is Banff's low season as they get many more visitors during the summer so there is normally quite a surplus of hotel beds during January when some people are put off by possible extreme cold temps. But as Richmond says, wrap up well, follow the rules about exposed skin and you'll be fine. And it might not be that cold. Great place to ski! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
we went last year and are off again next week. It is down to -10 at times, but it really doesn't feel that cold. The snow is really dry and I didn't really feel the need to wrap up too much to keep warm. Wore salopettes, thermal vest and jacket most days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ta folks. I was pretty sure it would be cold in January, but just how cold?

Lowest I've ever been out in was -27C (air temp, before windchill) and whilst that was fine for a while when you did get cold it was a case of suddenly getting really cold, not a gradual creeping cold at all. Very unusual feeling.

As you say though, all should be OK by piling on the layers, gloves with liners and hot hands packs - and plenty of excuses to nip into bars and resturants for a quick restorative!

Jon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stevev wrote:
It is down to -10 at times, but it really doesn't feel that cold.

It can get down to -30 Skullie, -10 is quite bearable, -30 gets a bit chilly.......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Average temps in the Canadian Rockies are around -12c / 6f in Dec / Jan.

It is not uncommon for them to fall to -30c / -22f for days on end.

Banff is a great place, but it is better to go in Mar / Apr, when average temps rise to a more pleasant -7c to -2c.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
Banff is a great place, but it is better to go in Mar / Apr, when average temps rise to a more pleasant -7c to -2c.

I would agree. I found it cold enough in March. Four items of clothing on my head one day at Sunshine Village.

There are always stories of days when it is too cold to ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jmdohanlon wrote:
Lowest I've ever been out in was -27C (air temp, before windchill) and whilst that was fine for a while when you did get cold it was a case of suddenly getting really cold, not a gradual creeping cold at all. Very unusual feeling.

That's exactly how I found it one very cold day in Banff. The coldest I've heard of there (not experienced it) is -40C/F, which I agree is bloody ridiculous. As I say, I'd go for it; we've skied in Banff and LL at -20C and lower without any special gear, no probs. Very cold weather gear is readily available there if the temp is lower than expected.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if you check out the daily weather on skibanff.com it ver rarely shows temperatures that low, I have been checking daily through jan and feb and havent seen it below -20 and that is the forecat low, mostly it's upto -10 or higher in the day.

We took the chemical hand warmers last year, didn't use them once
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was there last month and it was -25 on my first day of skiing at Sunshine Shocked it didn't go much lower during my stay but I kept my face covered, finger and toe warmers were being sold in the ski area shops and at the ski stores in Banff which were useful.

I've been going to Canada in January for the last three years and I've had a great time, I could again be off to Banff (third time in a row!) in January 2008! snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Noted something of interest today. The webcams at Sunshine have live current temperatures on them. Goto the webcam page and click larger view, the current temp is in the top left of the picture. It's dark over there now and it's only down to -10deg C

http://skibanff.com/conditions/webcams.php
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevev, don't underestimate how cold it can get. I believe it was exceptionally warm there last winter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon, I went in March 2005 and even then, got down to -18 on a couple of days although that is apparently exceptional from end of Feb. You can wrap up but even so, a couple of chairlift ascents were pretty uncomfortable. However skiing in Lake Louise and Sunshine is fantastic. Stunning scenery and town is quite lively. Great holiday. Take the deal and put some of the savings towards really good gloves.

By the way, went to Les Deux Alpes in Feb 2001 and that was much colder with wind chill thrown in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went this year in mid Jan and it wasn't too bad, between -10 and -3 in Lake louise area, sunshine. good snow conditions, very well pisted.
ski holidays
I'm with buzz55 on this one, I also went this year Jan 20-feb 1st and it wasn't as cold as I expected it to be and we even sat outside the cafes when it was sunny on the slopes. I just wore my warmest ski kit and a hat ( which I hate wearing but it deffo keeps you warm) liners in my gloves and that was about it! didn't need my chemical hand warmers and my feet were also fine. It's good to have a hood that you can flip up when you're on the lifts but other than that it was not much different to Europe! (except of course ,that the skiing is better, the scenery more breathtaking, the pistes empty, the lifties helpful etc etc!) I've been far more frozen in Andorra! That being said... the coldest I ever got was walking from the hotel to Banff town in the day time when you've got your jeans on and normal coat.....flippin' freezing!! .. we're going again next January so might see you there!
latest report
The cold is the reason for the cheap deals to the Banff area in Jan.. The coldest time of year in a cold part of the country. It's not always going to be super cold and you might even get some reasonably warm temps but the norm is for it to be cold.
snow report
only one sleep to go, off to Banff tommorrow Very Happy
snow report
stevev,

Enjoy. Thinking of going back this December snowHead
ski holidays
jmdohanlon, Wrap up well, cover everything you can, ski hard, take regular coffee breaks and you'll be fine. I was there in Jan last year and it was somewhere between -20 and -30 on the mountain, but the purchase of a brilliant balaclava (fleece neck, lycra head bit) to wear with my helmet helped a lot. I found my breath just turned the scarf I had wrapped round my chin to ice. But the skiiing, people and scenery are worth it.
Helena, I know exactly what you mean about walking round town, my jeans did so litle to keep me warm, I may as well have been walking round naked!
snow report
Many thanks to all for the replies.

Over the weekend the wallets were opened and the trip was booked. 8 of us going out on 30 Jan and back to UK on 9 Feb (I think - not sure as someone else has booked it).

Just got to hope now that the current proposals for ditching the hotel by hotel ski bus pickups get dropped; but not to bad if things go the wrong way as we have booked Mount Royal hotel, which is pretty central on Banff Avenue so we shouldn't be too far from a pickup location in any case.

Jon.
latest report
jmdohanlon, well done, it's a great place. I'd consider hiring a car even if the bus service remains convenient. It avoids the transfer and it's more convenient around the ski areas. It is (or was) the case that the bus is free only with a tri area (Mt Norquay, Sunshine, LL) pass, BTW, so bear that in mind when choosing your pass.
snow report
richmond, good info .... and no worries on that score. We are aiming to get the 7 day + 2 days free tri area pass which you have to book and pay for by something like the end of June this year. Call it another early bookers deal.

Do you know if there are any car hire outlets in Banff itself? Could be that we choose to get a car (or minivan as there are 8 of us) whilst there - either for access to the ski areas or for a bit of other sightseeing.

Jon.
snow report
jmdohanlon, yes there is at least one car hire place, friends of ours used it a few years ago. I can't remember who it is, one of the usual suspects, I think. No idea about rates. We hired from Calgary, to avoid the transfer. There are other ski places within an easy day's drive of Banff, although you'll have much more than enough at the 3 areas covered by the pass. There's not a hell of a lot to look at in the neighbourhood at that time, except for loads of mountains. The lake at Lake Louise is worth a detour, as is the LL Station bar/restaurant. I won't bother visiting Calgary again, dull as ditchwater apart from the rotating restaurant at the top of some tower or other.
snow conditions
Jmdohanlon We hired a car in Banff. I thought it was quite reasonable. We went for a day to Calgary and as Richmond says, it's a bit dead. We had lunch at the top of the Calgary Tower and that was interesting. I found the shopping malls more expensive than at home but bought a few t-shirts
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy