Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

intermediate plateau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
spyderjon,

I think I like it...but I don't get it....unless you are talking about my Stenmark turn... Laughing or as they call it..pick and plonk..!!
I still do this....although with a bit more disguise...to set an edge on ice and drive the knee in.... I find it works for me...funny why others don't seem to use it......its not in the manual..Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT Do you mean the tendency to pick up your new inner ski as you initiate a turn? Especially on steeper pitches or bumps?

If so, one of our coaches discussed this over at the ESA - maybe worth reflecting on what he said about it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lbt,

Kind of... I use it as an exaggerated way to load up the new edge set. I'm never 50-50 weight.
I don't have to use it but just like to when its steep and icy and if the loaded ski breaks away, I still have my uphill ski to help catch the resulting slide. If the top one goes, you are over. I guess its an old school skinny ski technique which I saw Stenamrk use and I liked it. It can brings other issues with it but I am not so reliant on it now..its more of a habit that I can switch out of anytime. Sometimes, its quite stylish..Laughing and it did teach me about edges because the grip can be violent and exhilerating. I call it a true carve as a lot of people who might think they are carving just aren't IMV. If you don't get that slingshot out of the tail-type sensation then its not a carved turn in my book. Some instructors might disaggree but I think they are likely being kind on their clients.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, I noticed this at the PSB. It does make your skiing look very energetic/dynamic, and it obviously works for you.

I think II and myself were just about to reach the intermediate plateau at the PSB.......when the rope on the T-Bar snapped Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman,

You are right about the tiring aspect...thats one reason why I widened my stance. I don't find it physically tiring on blatting runs but it isn't the greatest elsewhere. The slingshot carve isn't the turn to use all over the place, that takes too much thinking and concentration which can be tiring in itself... so I take back what I said about 'true carve' for general use

On another slant, I had some skis out the other day which turned in deep stuff if I just up and downed motioned or bobbed.... no discernable weight transfer at all...quite enlightening and a nice set of s's on a kind slope... snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not just about lessons when you reach the intermediate stage. It's about practice too and being prepared to put a bit of effort in. For instance, you can't be taught how to ski off piste and ski moguls without practicing a lot (more so than on piste) - and falling over a lot. I started moguls in Winter Park because none of the pisted runs are at all challenging. But, I still can't ski moguls like a pro. I can do about 5 or 6 in a row, but no more coaching is going to make it any easier. It's a case of knowing what you're supposed to do and getting on with it. We did have a couple of days lessons on moguls to get us going - great fun. Now we turn on the tops and slide down the sides. That's the theory anyway. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow - can't wait to see JT ski! wink

Actually, there are lots of ways to improve and lessons are only one of them. Once you get to a certain level there are technical improvements to be made, but maybe there is more improvement to be made in your tactics and phychology. And you have to WANT to improve. Tactics have always come pretty naturally to me (more so than technique maybe!) so spending cash for someone to teach me these is unlikely to be money well spent. Phsychology - well, if it's something that requires a bit of a leap of faith, it's nice to have someone go first but that person doesn't need to be an instructor. And going last has its thrills too. If (as I did last weekend) you see a procession of people struggle with a nasty traverse over bullet-proof hardpack, it becomes all the more gripping as you watch them and you get all the more buzz if you manage to ski it unscathed Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love moguls. Definitely can't ski them like a pro. But I love the fact that I feel quite comfortable in them, and a mate who has skied a lot more than me, and is a lot stronger, hates going near them.
A lot of people seem to try and fight the moguls and now retract and extend to absorb the peaks and troughs. I like the way you can use each part of the mogul to your advantage - the top unweights the skis a bit to make each turn easy, the backside gives you momentum and the front side slows you a bit. Can't wait till next weekend now wink
And I agree - practice practice practice. And I find visualising things helps a hell of a lot - you can practice to a certain extent without even being on skis. You can visualise slopes and skiing down them yourself. You can visualise yourself skiing even when just walking around. As per one part of the Snowheads motto - Live Snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis wrote:
... You can visualise yourself skiing even when just walking around....

hmmm, problem is if I do that I find I'm visualising a nose plant Shocked . Entertains the people in the bus queue though! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, Laughing better make sure you wear your helmet when out and about.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think when new skier get to the stage to ski all the blue and red, they tend to stop learning. There's now 2/3 (or more) of the terrain to roam anyway. So they're pretty happy to just cruise around for a couple years. At least that's how I was by about the 3rd season.

Fast forward a few more years, the other 1/3 (sometime 2/3) of the terrain starts begging. But the skills aren't there yet. That's when the frustration starts and the plateau turns into an uphill battle of sort.

The simple solution is to get some lesson to improve some more. Nobody is talking about it, but I think there's also an advanced plataeu as well. I'm guessing one need to get through more than one of these frustrating plateau, before one becomes truely the "expert" who can ski anything in even the worst condition.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I knew my technique of hurling myself down backs, off jumps and getting into off piste at an early stage made sense. Now how do you turn again Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy