Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

intermediate plateau

Poster: A snowHead
What is it? Where is it? and what do I do when I find it Puzzled

Since I started skiing again 11 months ago (after a 12 year “rest”) I have had about 30 days/ half days on the slopes and 10 sessions at Xscrap.
I think I’m now a better skier than I was when I last skied aged 19.
I can ski blues at any speed and in a variety of snow conditions and reds at a reasonable pace if the snow is good or OK so….
Some people mention the intermediate plateau - I considered myself an intermediate at the PSB but I have improved since then and still consider myself an intermediate?
I know I’m never going to be an expert skier (as I’m a big fat bloke but getting fitter Smile ) but when does one reach the “intermediate plateau”?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that the intermediate plateau for most people is when they can happily ski reds, struggle down the blacks, and fall over every time they go off piste, and they stop getting lessons and pushing themselves.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Intermediate Plateau" is the name used by ski schools when they open their Swiss bank accounts Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Kramer's got it nicely sewn up with that description.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yoda, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer wrote:
I think that the intermediate plateau for most people is when they can happily ski reds, struggle down the blacks, and fall over every time they go off piste, and they stop getting lessons and pushing themselves.

and get left behind by their children Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, I know that feeling. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just out of interest, when people go away, do they set themselves targets? I've never been particularly goal-oriented, but whenever I get to a ski resort I become a woman possessed. I'll pick a run I like the look of, which is currently above my capabilities, and say "right, my aim is to be skiing that by the end of the week". I already know what my aim is for next time, and I'll be booking lessons to make sure I reach that next goal. Weird, because I don't do it in any other area of my life. It's as if I imagine that I'll get to the end of my time here on earth and however long the list of things I didn't achieve is, I want to be able to shrug those off and say "but they don't matter, because I was a good skier".

It occurred to me last week that I was treating the Espace Killy like a theme park with snow. Just as at Universal there was no way I was going home without riding (and enjoying) the 5* thrill rides, there was no way I was leaving resort without having skied (and enjoyed!) a Mad Dog guide 3* red. I'd have been kicking myself all the way home (which would have hurt, considering the bruises I picked up Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clara_jo wrote:
Just out of interest, when people go away, do they set themselves targets? I've never been particularly goal-oriented, but whenever I get to a ski resort I become a woman possessed. I'll pick a run I like the look of, which is currently above my capabilities, and say "right, my aim is to be skiing that by the end of the week". I already know what my aim is for next time, and I'll be booking lessons to make sure I reach that next goal. Weird, because I don't do it in any other area of my life. It's as if I imagine that I'll get to the end of my time here on earth and however long the list of things I didn't achieve is, I want to be able to shrug those off and say "but they don't matter, because I was a good skier".

It occurred to me last week that I was treating the Espace Killy like a theme park with snow. Just as at Universal there was no way I was going home without riding (and enjoying) the 5* thrill rides, there was no way I was leaving resort without having skied (and enjoyed!) a Mad Dog guide 3* red. I'd have been kicking myself all the way home (which would have hurt, considering the bruises I picked up Wink

yeah - but i set SEASON goals usually and usually with my instructors..... we also may set longer term goals and sometimes the odd shorter term ones....

It can be a bit silly for ME to set the goals... I tend to have less faith in myself than they do.... so they set me tougher goals.... and then i have no idea how close I may or may not be to achieving a goal... or even what sort of goal i may be able to achieve (I once thought I'd never ski parallel.... my instructor at one stage was not settling for anything less than me skiing like everyone else... and I'd have baulked at setting that as a goal)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

What is it? Where is it? and what do I do when I find it

Is that not the flat bit where you have to use your poles wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clara_jo, Now that's the way to do it Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clara_jo, I set myself targets each time that I go away. I'm no longer at a level where it's about skiing a certain piste, but more general than that. The targets come from being aware of weaknesses in my skiing repertoire and addressing them, through specific lessons. One goal tends to lead automatically into another, for instance, my goal last year of improving my off piste skiing on steeper and deeper slopes has now evolved into the goal of improving my confidence in off piste skiing in confined spaces, such as couloirs and trees, as well as starting to learn how to drop cornices and cliffs. On piste my goal is to learn to do short radius, pure carved turns on steeper pistes which has evolved from learning how to carve large radius turns.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SHello, I thought that was snowboarder hell!

I think Kramer put it well - it's where you stop pushing yourself in lessons and in free skiing, and become stuck in a rut (perhaps always going to the same place, perhaps always the same crowd, ...) basically, you become settled... get you BMW, your driving gloves, your pringle jumper, your golf club membership, settled.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I don't understand is how people expect to keep improving without learning?

Sure you can use trial and error; but isn't it simpler to do what you did in school and get a teacher (or do what you should have done in university and do some research and then try to apply it).

There's a lot to skiing - or at least, there can be if you want it.

Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'm an expert - I still have A-frame issues, I can't really do moguls and I still need to control my speed without just braking. Oh, I also can't do variable snow or powder very well either or... Smile

On the other hand I've been skiing about 8 weeks in total (ever) and I can now fully carve linked turns quite well, I am starting to "separate" and not just incline, I can make linked turns on steep bump runs and I'd be happy to tackle I guess 70-80% of double black runs although I'd mainly be linking lower down rather than when my elbow was touching the snow Wink

I've had some kind of lesson on about 40% of my ski days and, more importantly, I've read up (and thought) quite a bit about what I've been taught and I've actively practised too.

And given how much it costs to go skiing is it worth not spending a bit on lessons?
(yeah, I expect a freebie from some coach somewhere for this Wink )

So I guess the plateau is when you think there's nothing else you can be taught...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, I have to admit that my "I was a good skier" dream is all relative! I've only got 4 weeks' experience, and a passion for the sport that frustrates the hell out of me, because in the same way that I will never have enough time in my life to read all the books I might want to read, there will never be time (or money) enough to ski all the places I want to ski Crying or Very sad.

My target for next time is to learn to ski moguls properly. And to learn to be more comfortable on the narrow. I don't really have a fear of steep unless it's narrow as well. I all but conquered my leaning back problem this time round (I did it once, over a bump, and wiped out big-style), stopped relying on wuss-style traversing ending in a huge sweep back uphill (and subsequent slide down, backwards Embarassed) and quit hugging the hill completely. That felt great. And I love the fact that I'm not in a race - just because 3 members of our party were off-piste down couloirs doesn't mean that I didn't have my own fantastic day making some really neat, quick turns on pisted runs.
snow conditions
II, I thought it was the flat bit next to the bar where you left your skis? Puzzled snowHead
ski holidays
A lot depends on the definitions of intermediate and advanced? Surely if you're still stem turning on reds for a couple of consecutive trips and not making any improvement then you're at some kind of plateau and will probably still be doing the same next time out. If you're happy to get the skis parallel, to carve, to tackle moguls, to not be worrying all the time, then you're above the intermediate plateau.
snow conditions
I think a lot of this has changed in recent years with advances in ski design, so the plateau has effectively been raised.
latest report
I don't think there is a single level at which people get stuck or plateaued at. I think some people carry on improving for a long time others for a shorter time and all at different levels. I suspect the level that people plateau at depends on age enthusiasm willingness to learn / take lessons and natural ability. I probably plateau'd about 10 years ago since when any improvements have been pretty much undetectable but it doesn't stop you enjoying yourself. snowHead snowHead
snow report
Terminal mediocrity comes when a skier learns a few skills, stumbles on a turn he/she trusts, then latches onto it with a death grip.

Breaking out of the terminal trap involves letting go of that beloved default turn, building new skills, and expanding options and possibilities.
snow report
I agree a plateau can be at any level and if you can ski somethinmg this time round you couldn't ski last time round, you can't be at a plateau. Other than that its a term used to convince disgruntled and non-improving skiers that they need to shell out for more lessons so Yoda is right. Ski schools love it.
snow conditions
JT, are you suggesting that if you want to improve, lessons aren't the way forward?
snow report
Kramer, are you implying that lessons are the ONLY way forward?
snow conditions
lbt wrote:

So I guess the plateau is when you think there's nothing else you can be taught...

For some of us it is probably more about when we are happy where we are and don't want to spend our few annual ski days in school. I know there is still more to learn and I could ski better but I feel confident, safe and above all I am loving skiing so is there really a need for me to keep learning right now? The amount I get to ski (max 2 weeks in a year) I find that I am improving slightly every day anyway purely because I am getting to practice what I have been taught. snowHead
ski holidays
clara_jo wrote:

My target for next time is to learn to ski moguls properly.

On behalf of my friend who is a moguls coach I'd just like to point out that some folks spend YEARS learning to do this!

If it can be done in "a holiday" he is out of a job!
snow report
lbt wrote:
......And given how much it costs to go skiing is it worth not spending a bit on lessons?.....

Given how much your & Denise's medical bills have been the actual skiing is cheap, let alone the cost of the lessons wink.
latest report
little tiger, ah... ok, I'll change that to "my target for next time is to learn to be able to ski moguls at all" Wink
snow report
clara_jo wrote:
little tiger, ah... ok, I'll change that to "my target for next time is to learn to be able to ski moguls at all" Wink

yeah that comes more in line with my sort of goals.... "ski XXXX without squealing" "ski XXXX when icy and stay on feet" etc Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastMan wrote:

Breaking out of the terminal trap involves letting go of that beloved default turn, building new skills, and expanding options and possibilities.

and this is the excuse you lot use for making me ski sick? NehNeh
latest report
Kramer wrote:
JT, are you suggesting that if you want to improve, lessons aren't the way forward?

Speaking as someone who hasn't had lessons, I'd say they aren't the only way.
snow conditions
JT, I agree that they are not the only way, but I think it can be a great help to have them in conjunction with getting the mileage in.
snow report
II, for me the plateau is fear, lessons are definitely the way through it but the hard bit comes when you are on your own and conditions are variable and you cant seem to trust the technique you have just mastered. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Neilski,

i always found that learning to trust the technique is part of mastering it... if you can only do it sometimes you have learnt not mastered.... once I have truely mastered something I can do it as and when I wish.... (now i may have to revisit this learning in particular situations but for my usual skiing terrain I can do this ON DEMAND and vary)
snow report
I guess I set goals to an extent but I don't set timescales because I don't like setting myself up for disappointment. For instance, I did stuff last week that I didn't expect to be (able to) do(ing). In the process I seem to have inadvertently overcome the worst of my fear of steeper stuff - something I have had as a goal for a long time but didn't crack by actively working at it. For the first time ever I find myself actively thinking, yes I fancy doing that (incidentally black) run (specific ones I have in mind) because I now feel competent to ski them (not just do them). My fear of ice was overcome partly by an offhand comment from an instructor last year and partly with Easiski at the PSB (note fear, not competence Wink ) It sort of just happened. So while I sort of set overall long-term goals, it seems to work best for me to be a bit of a passive sponge for information and eventually it will happen. It's a bit like reading a detective novel - some people like to work out whodunnit asap; I prefer to let myself be surprised and am disappointed in the writing if I can work it out too soon. But then I'm just perverse Smile
latest report
eng_ch,

I'm with you... left to my own devices then even with all the lessons I'd just wander along and see where it all took me....

However I have discovered that instructors tend to set me timescales... and they are usually shorter (Much) than I would expect/select/suggest.... I think they sometimes deliberately oversell them to me Madeye-Smiley but it gives me more incentive to push forward...

When someone whose opinion I respect says I can do XXX by the end of season I tend to go... OH best get laid into getting there then because I won't get THERE just playing around like this.... This changes my attitude to attempts towards the goal I'm quite sure... Very Happy

EVIL instructors are Twisted Evil

This is why I like to goal set with an instructor/coach type person.... they reach higher for me than I might reach on my own... Me being me will always attempt to live up to this.... after all I ski with these folk because I trust and respect them and their ability to do their job Very Happy
snow conditions
little tiger, i guess you are right
my idea for this year is to ski three times instead of the usual 7 to 10 days
first trip with freinds just going to ski and enjoy whilst retrying things learnt last year
second trip take three days one on one coaching and spend the rest of the trip reinforcing what i hope to have learnt
third trip end of season three day trip enjoying all the things i have finally mastered snowHead
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Speaking as someone who hasn't had lessons, I'd say they aren't the only way.

A fair point, which makes your level of skiing all the more impressive. I would still suggest that someone who was no longer improving and "stuck on the plateau" should get some lessons.
latest report
Kramer,

No problem with that.

I've often wondered about if I'd sorted out this and that earlier - not that I am at all sorted - with lessons, where I would be now.... but then I think of all the things I might have missed.... I think I might be technically better but would have missed out on the all the things we have accumulated with our trials. How to cowboy over cliffs is something you have to be there to do...... no amount of lessons could have prepared me for that little adventure... I'll post an example if I can, sometime . It ain't skiing, as we know it... Laughing Laughing
snow report
Thanks for all the replies snowHead
I asked the question because I am still improving every time I ski and was worried that I might reach the limit of my abilities soon. rolling eyes From your suggestions it seems the best way forward for me is to get someone to show me the routes into and out of the back corries at Nevis (steep un-piested patrolled off piste) when they next open. Then get another lesson or 2 at the EoSB Very Happy
latest report
JT wrote:
......I've often wondered about if I'd sorted out this and that earlier......

JT, but then your mates couldn't call you 'Pick-up Pete' wink Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy