Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive or Fly

Poster: A snowHead
For those in the know, how long will it take us to drive from Calais to LDA? We have a flexible eurotunnel ticket and can rock up whenever we want, so was wondering what is the best time to get on the eurotunnel? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like travelling through the night (leaving UK about 8 or 9pm) as there is very little traffic and you can get a shift on but recently I've been getting tired (too busy at work) so I switched to mornings.

For the mornings, I've been hitting the tunnel just before 6am. This has me in Cham between 2 and 3pm give or take.

L2A will maybe take a little longer but depends on roads/traffic/weather/how fast you want to drive. Bank for anywhere between 7 and 10 hours.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beachlou, boredsurfin, Helen Beaumont, Spyderman, do you people have 4X4s, winter tyres or chains or any combination of these? I've got the first and am driving to Tignes, mid March, and wonder whether I need to bother with chains?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin Bell, Simple answer, You MUST have chains it is the Law and is enforced!
4x4 winter tyres AWD you have to carry chains by law. Confused
In a 4x4 you probably won't need them BUT you must have them in your vehicle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin Bell, I have 4x4 and chains. The gendarmes usually wave you through, but if they request you to stop and put the chains on, you won't be allowed to continue your journey without them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin Bell, And if you do need them, you'll be bl**dy glad you bought them. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Will be sticking to 130, which is more like 140 on my speedo.

if it rains, which it's going to do quite a bit in the next few days, the limit is 110.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin Bell,
I also have a landrover ( a proper series one) You must carry chains by law in France on alpine roads. Winter tyres will get you further than summer road tyres, but if you need to fit chains to a 4WD you must fit 4, one to each wheel. If a tyre is sliding, it does'nt matter if you've got 2WD, 4WD or 6WD, you're still sliding. Chains are the only way for guaranteed grip.
Have you got a proper 4WD or one of those road biased ones like BMW X5, Cayenne or XC90? If so the standard tyres will offer about 40% less grip under 6*C and be pretty useless in the snow as they are to wide.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 7-02-07 22:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman,
Quote:

but if you need to fit chains you must fit 4, one to each wheel.

Not sure about this; in the manual to my car Subaru Legacy it says to fit the chains to the front wheels only. The only time I needed them it seemed to work.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My X-trail only needs them on the front wheels.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, mine too Toofy Grin but have you neede to use chains yet Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think you are supposed to fit chains to all four wheels on a 4X4 - sort of makes sense if you have permanent 4 wheel drive as all four wheels are driving the vehicle; but if you only have two then I think it varies which set of wheels you should fit them to. I think mine recommend the rear.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont,
Nissan X-trail, Freelander, rav4 and other similar soft roaders, send most of the drive to the front wheels, under normal driving. Drive is only sent to the rear wheels if slippage is detected in the front wheels, by the differential. So yes, you're fine with just chains on the front wheels only.

T Bar,
Not sure about the way drive is apportioned in a Subaru, but go with the manual.

All 4x4's with Permanent 4WD, such as Defender,Disco, RR, Patrol, Landcruiser, etc. You must fit chains to all 4 wheels, otherwise damage can occur to the differentials.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Helen Beaumont, Spyderman, thanks. So chains it is, but I'll refer to the manual first.

Spyderman,

[quote]
Have you got a proper 4WD or one of those road biased ones like BMW X5, Cayenne or XC90?

Yes! Merc ML but without the off-road kit!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin Bell,
Merc ML, be careful with the fat tyres,as they don't bite into snow and self clean. Tread tends to fill and float over the surface. No problem with chains on.
latest report
Fingers crossed my snow tyres arrive by tomorrow evening, otherwise it's going to be regular tyres and chains if it gets a bit naughty.

Mmmm, 14-hour road trip to Italy. Stopping off in the wonderful German town of W*nk on the way Very Happy
snow conditions
where can i get snow chains from? and how much are they? thanks
snow report
beachlou,
Quote:

Internet sellers, Ebay (careful about incorrect sizes) or the Roofbox company. Hiring is an option but not a very cost efficient one.

Or me Very Happy, if you have 16in 185/55 tyres (bought for a Renault Scenic). Opened but unused, £25 plus postage if necessary. PM me if interested.
latest report
beachlou wrote:

IF you have a car with 'standard' wheels you can buy chains in French supermarkets at a reasonable price. The Carrefour just after the tolls at Chambery is a good place to stop (There's also a french version of Halfords there)
BUT if you have tyres/wheels that are slightly unusual buy chains here, as the French Supermarkets may not stock them. Halfords stock chains in some UK stores or use Google or e bay.co.uk
snow conditions
snowchains.co.uk were very helpful when getting mine

According to VW UK I can't fit them ever! Which is a bit of a strange statement - this lot helped provide appropriate pair and they were fine
ski holidays
sproggski, boredsurfin, Boris, Thanks for the great advice guys. Wer're driving in a '51 Vectra-not sure what wheels they are until I go and check-lol! Reckon these are 'standard'? Don't want to spend a fortune
snow report
beachlou, doubt you'll have a problem with chains for those - used to have a 99 Vectra and was fine. Only ones that are problems are the sporty ones, my father in law had the 3.2 V6 one and there was so little clearance chains were not poss.
snow conditions
Just drove back to the UK today. Astonishing number of UK gas guzzlers heading south from Calais. Stunning. At one point saw 10, at least, flying in close formation, all nose to tail in the outside lane, all with boxes on the top. It looked as though 50% of the traffic on the Calais/Rheims section was UK skiers - and that was around 11 - 1 today, so still school time. Who are these people? If they are going down now, it must be because they are teachers and/or have kids in school. Surely, surely, nobody would ever ski at half term otherwise? If they were teachers they wouldn't be taking today off. And if they are ready to take the kids out of school (as I always did, I confess Embarassed ) why not go the whole hog and ski out of the school holidays?

Couldn't see whether they all had kids in the back; lots of them had those blacked out windows. Made me extremely glad we were headed north. There can't be a Range Rover left in the whole of England.
snow report
pam w, given the fact most of the schools around here were closed, they probably weren't so much as taking them out early as making the most of the schools closing!
ski holidays
pam w,
Just giving them all a head start, be going past them shortly.
snow conditions
pam w, my nieces are in private schools. Their holidays always commence on Thursday lunchtimes for some reason.
latest report
I'm going down in a jeep Cherokee, on the subject of chains any decent 4x4 has the part-time 4wd option that unlocks the differential preventing damage in the event you get slippage on the back wheels (thus chains can be fitted to the front without harm)

whats the stance, if the manufacturer says to never use chains and the plod want them to be on I assume your gonna have to bite the bullet and put chains on?

I'm driving down to Serre cheval from cambridge, I'm due to cross la chunnel at 00:15 then just gonna bimble downover the next 10 hours to the valley Smile
snow conditions
Spyderman, After the "fun" in Birmingham on Friday, I noted that fat tyres are of little benefit in slippy conditions. Looking at the Merc handbook, it says fit chains only to the rear wheels and when fitted don't drive in lowered sports mode!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We drove back to Grenoble from Serre Chev on Sunday morning. It was snowing heavily on leaving Monetier. I was surprised to see how many cars carried on without snow chains on although there is a large illuminated sign saying that they are obligitory. Driving over the Col du Lauteret was pretty horrible with the condition of the road being quite bad. Although the worst part was the fog and only being able to see about around 5 -10m in front.

We did not see a single Gendarme on the way and we only saw one snow plough down the other side where there was very little snow. I guess it's just luck on the day if you go without them.
snow conditions
Just back from Tignes, the journey down on the Friday was fun, we moved 12 miles in the first 2 hours as the M1 was closed in Derbyshire. If I didn't know some back roads it would have been even worse. Flying I would have missed my plane.
Kids schools were closed on the friday so the illness excuse not needed.

Still made it to Annecy by 9pm, a quick burger later and bed. Then a very easy trip up on Saturday morning, no traffic, into appt. before 10.20 and in boot shop at 11 for fitting. lunch and on the slopes for 1.

Then Skied until 2 on the Saturday, no traffic again going down the mountain, but masses coming up, then up to Troyes, good steak in the Hippopotamus, then a relatively ok journey today barring the roadworks around Luton.

Didn't need the chains, and would definitely drive again. Telepeage worked a dream, so nice to sail past the queuing cars at St Omer today Happy
ski holidays
Soozy, I'm surprised at the lack of Gendarmes at the 'chainage',they are usually there if you are required to put on your chains. The sign says that winter equipment is obligatory but does not mean you have to have the chains in the car, only that you must have them. The Col is not nice in poor visibility though. I'm glad you made it back safely.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy