Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drive or Fly

Poster: A snowHead
I have always wanted to drive to the ski resort instead of flying but with flights costing so little to europe is it worth it driving and if so what are the benefits snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For me, it's a bit more expensive to drive compared with a package trip but I can do Leeds to Chamonix in 12 hours, in comfort, and know that my gear will arrive with me (muppetworld left my gear at Manchester airport last year and took 3 days to get it to me along with a bunch of lies about what actually happened). I can also squeeze in an extra day or so if the weather turns good or change my plans at the last minute if need be.
I drove to Cham a few weeks ago and apart from half an hour with Le Plod (and the 90Euros they wanted Sad ) it was smooth going. I'll try out Leeds-Tignes in March and have just decided to tag a week on at Cham after that (couldn't have done that with a package trip).
It's the convenience more than anything else.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472,

Mobility and your own timetable.... make sure you get accom with parking places included as that could rack up.
You can carry a lot more and can be quite reasonable shared between 3-4. Make sure the car is winter-equipped
and big enough to take peeps comfortably. I was going to add its just as quick when all said and done but probably that doesn't apply from where you are.
For me, in the south, travelling to the alpes takes 10rs which ever way you do it

Shocked Shocked Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 4-02-07 17:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jase2472,
Travelling from Scotland it takes too long to go by car for enjoyment, if I lived in the South it may be different. Having a car can be very useful though and I often rent one. You can stay just out of the resort which is usually significantly cheaper and you often get more spacious accommodation. You can visit other resorts if yours happens to have poor snow or weather or you fancy a change of scenery. You can travel a bit for shopping if self catering which can give you a greater variety of food and often cheaper than a resort.
If travelling by car it also gives you the opportunity to bring some of the local produce back.

Going to high resort with expensive parking and awkward access roads may diminish some of these benefits if you are unlikely to visit other places.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm driving to LDA in April. There will be 4 of us in a relatively spacious car. We chose to drive rather than fly for a couple of reasons; one- the fun of a road trip, and two- the cost. The deal we got included SC accom and the eurotunnel, which worked out cheaper than flying. It'll take us about 12 hrs.

We're also looking forward to having the car, so we can venture out to different resorts, or even do a bit of shopping

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 4-02-07 16:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have driven for the last 18 years! (Is it that long!) For all the reasons above and more!
Mainly it is cheaper than flying if you have 3+ in the car.
For loads of info type driving to alps or some such (and click search all terms) into the forum search facility at top of page!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Numbers are the key. Once you've got 3 paying kiddies flying is much more expensive than driving.

If I was going on my own, I'd take the train. Much more civilised and not that much more expensive than flying.

But that's from the south of the UK. There must be a point travelling north at which even Calais seems too far to go !

d
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is another option from the north, which I will be using in two weeks time. Get the overnight ferry from Hull to either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge. I did this with my son two years ago when we went to Zermatt. This year we are using the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry and going to Nendaz. An overnight cabin means that you start driving refreshed in the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have previously flown but this year Val and the kids are flying to northern Italy from Sardinia, and I'm driving over to meet them. We're all then driving back together. We don't know who well the drive will go, so the opportunity to just do it one-way as a family is good. I've just ordered some winter tyres, I hope they arrive in time. Apparently VW don't recommend fitting chains to the wheels I've got, so that could be an interesting one...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fly - no contest. Seven hours door to door for the Alps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
with my flights to granada 32GBP no way can i get anywhere for that amount of money snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill wrote:
Fly - no contest. Seven hours door to door for the Alps.

IF everything goes to plan.

However on a trip a couple of years ago, we had flight delays at EMA, Transfer delays from Lyon, further delays en route, and with waiting time, our door to door travel time was over 12 hours. We have driven it in 14.

For two people flying may be easier and cheaper but for a family of 6 the costs become more similar and the convenience factor starts to come into play Have you ever manoevered 4 teenagers and 16 bags across an airport or tried to fire a car at the other end that would carry them all? Shocked .

One final point, it does make a difference if you want to take your own kit. To carry 4 pairs of skis and boots and 2 snowboards would add £180 to the base cost with EasyJet and that's if the boots fit in your main bag. Sticking them all in the top box saves a few beers worth! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AxsMan wrote:
IF everything goes to plan.

True, but cars break down, ferries get cancelled, huge traffic queues develop.

There can be mishaps either way.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our quickest has been 11 hoours door to door our longest 16 hours because it snowed in Lyon, the airport was closed as well. In 18 years of driving over we have only been seriously delayed twice, both times by snow and/or fog.
We now average 12 hours each trip. Assisted by cruise control and telepeage. (and older children!) Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's a safe speed now on the autoroute? Last time I drove in France was 2 years ago, nad 140 - 150 was common. I've heard that they are little keener on the speeders now though? I mean a real speed verified by Tom Tom rather than the estimation that is your speedometer Happy
ski holidays
jase2472, Although not strictly on thread, how about the train? We've travelled by Eurostar for the past 4 years.

Gives you 8 days on the slopes, costs a bit more at half term but good deals outside of then, meant to be carbon friendly. snowHead
ski holidays
I am with marc gledhill, It is no comparison from where we live.
Almost 2000 miles on the car (a sixth of the annual milage in a week)
6hrs to Dover
10 hrs from Dover ( I did see a post above that claimed 12 hrs from leeds Shocked )
Sorry but I dont want to drive at 150kph with my kids on board and a full weight compliment.
Driving is far more dangerouds than flying.
The boredom of car journeys
Speed cameras both here and abroad.
Airports and airplanes are exciting for kids (and me)

I have never (yet) been sick on a plane - I am always sick on ferries.
In the past 2 yrs we have left home early morning and been skiing by 2.30 pm
Kids have freedom of movement in airports and on planes ( to a lesser degree)
snow report
martyngb wrote:
jase2472, Although not strictly on thread, how about the train? We've travelled by Eurostar for the past 4 years.

Gives you 8 days on the slopes, costs a bit more at half term but good deals outside of then, meant to be carbon friendly. snowHead

I've tried Eurorstar (over-night) once and for me never ever again. Uncomfortable seats, lots of noise, no dimming of lights (even though it's a sleeper service) = NO SLEEP - ghastly... arrived in resort far too knackered to enjoy my 1st days skiing..and dying for a kip. Would much rather do the motorway blast - get a later afteroon ferry, blast down to Lyon. Kip for the night in a formula 1 or similar. Leave 8 ish. In most resorts for 11 nice an relaxed. Can leave kit locked up whilst out skiing for the day then have the car if want to go elsewher / supermarket in the valley etc. The run home can be a bit of a killer especially if you play hard on the last night and then ski hard on the last day.. but last time we just cruised into Dijon centre, found an hotel at midnight with a family room 40 Euros each later a good nights kip.. pain au chocolat and a gentle run home to the ferry.

Only takes me an hour to get to Dover (provided operation stack isn't running) so I guess that helps...
latest report
We always take the train, with 2 kids. We take Eurostar to Paris on a Friday afternoon and then get the overnight sleeper train from Paris to Bourg St Maurice. You get the full 8 days that way as you don't leave til 8pm the next Saturday. You can always find a bargain on Eurostar and sncf.com send you the tickets for your onwards sleeper train to your address in the UK! Kids sleep like a log, we just drink til the early hours...
snow conditions
Driving,despite living in the North, but only if we are on a 2 week trip. No problemwith speed camera, just don't speed!! You don't need to drive at 150kph, and most don't. No need to take the ferry either, Eurotunnel is quite satisfactory.
snow report
20 min from the coast so car is the best for me...so flexible. Multiple resorts and see parts of the alpes you'd have to make a real effort to see otherwise.
snow report
Quote:

Eurotunnel is quite satisfactory.

and free with Tesco club card tokens! I hope all the guys who want to drive at 150 kph go a different day from me. I, for one, am very grateful that the horrendous death toll on French roads has been reduced somewhat by the new emphasis on enforcing the speed limits. 130 kph is fine, and gets the journey done quickly enough.
snow report
Quote:
and free with Tesco club card tokens!
, exactly, although we are using a ferry this time. I am thinking about a couple of days in another resort on the way down, but no firm plans yet, as we will have dog in tow, and we are waiting to see what the conditions will be like.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
( I did see a post above that claimed 12 hrs from leeds Shocked )
Sorry but I dont want to drive at 150kph with my kids on board and a full weight compliment.

Nobody said anything about speeding. I got stopped by Le Plod for crossing a white line (debatable but I couldn't be bothered with an argument when they seemed to be targetting Brits), not for speeding. I won't say I didn't go over the limit a few times but maybe doing 85 instead of 80. Nothing out of the normal and it was just me and my board.

It's just timing. Left Cham at 10am. Arrived at tunnel, jumped on after a 15min wait, got home for just after 9pm.

One of the best things about paying a little extra for the tunnel, rather than ferry, is not having weather issues and having flexibility with the ticket, I arrived a day early and they just put me on the next train with space at no extra cost. And the prices are more reasonable these days.
snow report
[quote="Helen Beaumont"]
Quote:
we will have dog in tow
Well he should be fit by the time you get there. Hope he can keep up wink

speed8, I do like your argument. Perhaps the clue is in your name wink

Leeds to Chamonix is about 830 miles
Even allowing for a 15 minutes for arrival to departure the absolute minimum delay would be 1 hr with the tunnel.
That equates to an AVERAGE speed of 75mph
Now allowing for fuel stops x2, tolls x lots, the odd minor road here and there, sunday drivers, French drivers, Dartford crossing, English roads, weather etc etc..... I think I am safe to say that you were speeding more than you were not.

BTW 150kph is about 93 mph.
ski holidays
I always drive, set the cruise to warp 1 and engage. Big top box for skis & boots, boot for luggage & wine on the way back. Go anywhere you want when you're there. You can get 8 days skiing if you go Fri night & come back Sun out of 1 weeks hols.
Lot more cameras en frog last year, got flashed 3 times, but heard nothing. More plod on the roadside as well, seem to be targeting Brits. Will keep it under 150 this time.
ski holidays
I have to say that If I lived withoin 90 mins of the channel it would be an attractive option.

By the same scenario you dont find many snowheads driving to the Austrian resorts whearas the Tirol resorts are only 130 miles further than Chamonix or 3v

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 6-02-07 9:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

The thing about speeding brits is
the joy of watching them get pulled over at Calais Peage Twisted Evil

(for those who don't know there is virtually always a Police car with Radar gun about 10 k before the final peage booth's Toofy Grin )

and the Range Rover's with roof boxes that go hammering past us,
several times because they have to stop at every 3rd petrol station to re-fuel Laughing Why not drive a bit slower and go a bit further rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The thing about speeding brits is
the joy of watching them get pulled over at Calais Peage

you never know your luck. Radar detectors are illegal in France, whether in use or not, and you might see them having their vehicle confiscated too....
snow conditions
pam w, We've also seen the Customs (Douane van) giving a GB camper van a good going over including a sniffer dog at the Lyon peage Toofy Grin
latest report
[quote="Frosty the Snowman"]
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Quote:
we will have dog in tow
Well he should be fit by the time you get there. Hope he can keep up wink

speed8, I do like your argument. Perhaps the clue is in your name wink

Leeds to Chamonix is about 830 miles
Even allowing for a 15 minutes for arrival to departure the absolute minimum delay would be 1 hr with the tunnel.
That equates to an AVERAGE speed of 75mph
Now allowing for fuel stops x2, tolls x lots, the odd minor road here and there, sunday drivers, French drivers, Dartford crossing, English roads, weather etc etc..... I think I am safe to say that you were speeding more than you were not.

No argument. 1 hour for the tunnel door to door is about right. There are 4 tolls from Cham, two of which are tickets and two pay as you pass. no minor roads except from Leeds Ring Road to my house, no French drivers (most of them drive quick on the Autoroute), Dartford crossing was quiet on a Saturday night, weather was clear and dry.

I would probably say I averaged 85 taking stops into account, not excessive, and I don't think 93 is excessive either depending on road/weather/traffic conditions.
The Autobahn is also good to drive on and the drivers tend to be pretty vigilant and understand road positioning. It's the UK cars you have to watch out for.

And yes I know what 150kph is. I spend half the year working where it's kph.
ski holidays
speed8, I am sure that you know what 150kph equates to. I was just pointing out the MPH figure for those that did not know. I also think 150kph sounds much faster than 93 mph. Very Happy
snow report
I'm with Spyderman on this one (literraly next week as we are both heading for the 3V Very Happy ). Top box on, engage satnav, get clear of Calais and flick on the cruise control. I normally set my speed to within 5kph of the limit (i.e. 135) but with all these stories of French plod crackdowns, maybe I'll dial it back a tad this year. One of the pleasures for me of driving to the Alps is the (relatively) empty roads that are (for the most part) smooth as silk. After the M1 and M25 car-parks they are a breath of fresh air - it's what driving should be like, bowling along watching the klicks count up - magic!

Always do an overnight on the way down normally around Dijon. Stopping here this trip, recommended by someone on snowHead 's - looks good and very reasonably priced. Makes a nice start to the trip. Very Happy
snow report
Leaving 6am in 9 days time, first beer in Montalbert 7.00pm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm off Friday, stopping in Annecy friday night to miss Lyon, then early start up to Tignes on the sat for some new boots and a week of fresh snow Happy Will be sticking to 130, which is more like 140 on my speedo.
ski holidays
We are leaving home 5am Sunday, flight from Newcastle7.30 and will be in La Rosiere by 2pm (presuming clear roads) Local time. 8hrs door to door Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Horses for courses - as this thread shows!

We drive, is easier for us with 3 young kids to take our time and stop as required. Take a couple of days and stop both ways in good hotels with excellent restaurants, adds to the holiday experience. I also really like the drive and hate flying!

With the overnight stops, we always leave early morning to miss traffic and are in resort by lunchtime so can sort skis, passes etc out before the crowds arrive.
snow report
Sorry did'nt realise you were talking in Kilometres per hour, I thought you meant MPH. wink
I was just thinking, way to go! 130 - 140 all the way. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Sorry did'nt realise you were talking in Kilometres per hour, I thought you meant MPH. wink
I was just thinking, way to go! 130 - 140 all the way. Laughing

Laughing It used to be like that a few years ago, quiet roads, no plod... absolute bliss.

If you are driving down the main route, Calais-Reims-Troyes-Dijon-Dole-Bourg en Bresse, there are 3 (if I remember right) speed camera warning signs and after each one (within a few km) is a camera that flashes in your face if you set it off (although I've never heard of anyone being sent a ticket from France). With le plod, the general idea seems to be that if you stay below 150 on your speedo then you will probably be ok (usual disclaimers apply and the one on the way into calais mentioned above is the exception to this rule).

Anyway, I need to go fast to make up for the five fuel stops I need each way wink It's not easy at 18mpg....
latest report
speed8,
Quote:

there are 3 (if I remember right) speed camera warning

Yep, got flashed 3 times.
Used to set the cruise to 160, but I'll bring it down to 150 for the sake of plod with Radar, not worried about the cameras.
150 in a 130 limit, is only like doing 84MPH in a 70MPH on our motorways.
Only need to fill at Calais & Lyon, so pretty low ET. Can do round trip on 4 tankfulls.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy