Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Psychology - have you overcome the ski 'fear factor'?

Poster: A snowHead
kermit wrote:

Face the fear every new resort, new run, 1st morning...

I always start first morning, first run on something easy. Asking for trouble otherwise. I only start pushing my limits after a few days. Never hurt myself skiing that way in 25 years. That doesn't mean I ski easy stuff all the time either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
uktrailmonster wrote:

You'd be scared completely shitless, virtually everyone would. And you haven't even gone round the first corner yet Wink
Oh I dunno, sounds like fun Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You overcome it when you know that you can always make a turn to slow down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

F1 is mostly about repetitive driving.

The same cars with the same technology on the same short tracks.

Round and round in circles.

Going a little bit faster, or a little bit smoother, each time.

All that stuff about superhuman skills in F1 is mostly hype.

It sexes up the sport. So they can charge higher prices.

In your humble opinion right?

There is a grain of truth in some of the above, but it's not THAT easy. Imagine yourself at the start of a race, sitting in the cockpit. Engine sitting on hold at 14,000 rpm, cockpit temperature 50+ degC. Start lights go off, you drop the clutch (reaction time 0.15 sec), engine blasts up to 20,000 rpm, while you accelerate at 1G (same rate as freefalling off a cliff). While this is going on, other cars are less than a couple of feet away in all directions. Then go up through the gears on full throttle 2,3,4,5,6,7 hitting all the shift points at 20,000 rpm. Then brake from 300+ kph less than 200 m from the first corner, decelerating at well over 5G, trying hard not to lock up the brakes or smash into another car.

You'd be scared completely shitless, virtually everyone would. And you haven't even gone round the first corner yet Wink

The first 1% of an F1 race is exciting.

It takes quick reactions and good spatial awareness.

But it is not terrifying.

Starts are practised pre-race, over and over again. Racers memorize the track layout. One is well cocooned in a shell. Plenty of protective clothing. Lots of doctors just seconds away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
Megamum, I just find it annoying. Some of us do really try to help people, and then you get really silly uninformed comments ........ Twisted Evil

Au contraire.

These comments are highly insightful.

Snowboarding is easier than skiing.

Fewer edges. Fewer planks. No poles.

For most, it takes roughly 5 - 15 weeks to become an advanced boarder.

Skiing takes roughly 10 - 30 weeks.

Snowboarding exploded in the 1990s, partly because it is easier than skiing.

No longer does your average Joe have to look like a loser, with sticks and skis flying everywhere as they panic down the slope in a pathetic snowplow.

They just hop on a single tray, and within hours or days they can be backsliding down the piste with an air of poise and dignity.

Further, snowboarders know it is easier.

That is why they dress it up in fancy clothing and fancy buzzwords. To compensate for, or detract from, the less taxing nature of the sport.

To be clear, I am not anti-snowboarding. I love it.

But that does not conceal the fact that snowboarding is easier than skiing wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 2-02-07 22:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold,
Have you even been in a single seater race car?
Have you ever been driven round a track by an F1 driver?
Have you ever raced a car?
Have you ever driven a front engined Dragster?

I have.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:
Whitegold,
Have you even been in a single seater race car?
Have you ever been driven round a track by an F1 driver?
Have you ever raced a car?
Have you ever driven a front engined Dragster?

I have.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Woopteedoo.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold,
Then your previous coments confuse me.

The last one, pumps the blood a lot more than the others, however.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I just think you have take Whitegold in the way he wants to be portrayed

As an opinionated berk? He certainly sounds like someone who has never actually tried boarding for himself.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

As an opinionated berk? He certainly sounds like someone who has never actually tried boarding for himself.

You are welcome to challenge my views. That is fine.

But please refrain from such discourteous commentary.

It does not put you in a good light.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold, you are Tim Brown Nose and I claim my £5. Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look, let's not turn this into some distasteful witch-hunt scenario.
Some people express their views more bluntly than others: that doesn't excuse petty name calling.

I was told by a fairly senior French instructor a couple of years ago that snowboarding was easier to take up than skiing and that in 3 hours he could teach the typical novice to cope with any piste on a snowboard: not something that he could do with a novice skier.

On the one occassion I tried snowboarding, I descended a lengthy blue piste (with a few tumbles) within an hour of first stepping on the board, after no more than a couple of 'hints' from a mate. From that little experience, I got the impression myself that it was indeed far easier to pick up the basics in snowboarding than in skiing.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:

The first 1% of an F1 race is exciting.

It takes quick reactions and good spatial awareness.

But it is not terrifying.

Starts are practised pre-race, over and over again. Racers memorize the track layout. One is well cocooned in a shell. Plenty of protective clothing. Lots of doctors just seconds away.

Hey,, go easy on Whitegold. He's making good sense here.

It's much like a World Cup Downhill. Sure, it takes some basic skill, but the racers get plenty of time to rehearse their start, they've had days to study and practice on the course, the slope is groomed like a table top, they don't even race if the weather gets a little messy rolling eyes, the race trail is flanked top to bottom with fencing/bags/nets, there are patrol and choppers mere seconds away even though the risk of injury is slim because they all wear helmets.

I mean really, come on, what's to be scared about. You'd have to be a real sook. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

He knows more about everything than everyone - what a PITA. After all, I've only been skiing for 50 years, I've only been teaching for 30+ I can't possibly know abything can I? He knows FAR MORE. Someone works with F1 - he knows FAR MORE. Someone's looking at snow out of his kitchen window - HE KNOWS BETTER - THERE IS NONE,

why doesn't he pi** off back where he came. Arrogant g*t.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, You're always telling other peeps it doesn't put them in good light, when you just show yourself up as an arrogant know-it-all and stop the rest of us trying to help people. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
admin, Watch learning snowboarders - they fall, and fall and fall. It hurts. They break their wrists. It hurts. balance is much harder because you only have one edge. then they get to be able to sideslip - many never learn to turn... In one lesson a skier can be ploughing (controlling their speed) and turning, using the lift. Ever seen learning snowboarders on a lift? Nuff said. sorry, but it's crazy. Of course I know FAR less than some holiday skiers!

Anyone who thinks driving an F1 car is not scary and brve needs their head examining.
snow conditions
FastMan,
Quote:

I mean really, come on, what's to be scared about. You'd have to be a real sook.

Michael Schumacher broke both his legs.
Ayrton Senna Sadly lost his life.
Alex Zanardi lost both of his legs.

Don't tell me it's not dangerous and there's no fear involved.
Quote:

It's much like a World Cup Downhill. Sure, it takes some basic skill,

Only basic skill to do a World Cup Downhill. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

The safety measures in place in F1 & Ski racing, are there because it is so dangerous.
latest report
Spyderman, hear hear!
snow report
And it's the lack of safety measures in normal life that make certain activities dangerous and scarey for a lot of people. If novice skiers knew they couldn't fall off the side of the piste as they were protected by safety nets, if they knew they wouldn't hurt themselves too much if they fell or crashed (back protectors, body armour, helmets etc), if they knew they weren't going to get T-boned by someone going much faster than them, if they knew there was someone standing there to pick them up each time they fell - then perhaps they wouldn't be fearing for their safety so much and perhaps the initial fears would be more readilly overcome. BUT imagine how the pistes would look with every piste fenced, with speed cameras, with marshalls waiting in attendance every 50 metres. There's already orange fencing all over the place to make things safer.

A balance has to be achieved between between safety and likelihood of a serious accident - what is an acceptable level of risk? We all take risks in skiing and it's one of the things that makes it a sport and makes it exciting. The fact that you're on a slippery slope is a risk in itself and that's something that one takes personal responsibility for. You learn, often with help from a good instructor, how to deal with it and become comfortable on the snow. An unacceptable risk is that of being T-boned by ignorant out of control wannabe ski or board racer, or some lumbering out of control big bloke who is lacking in the spatial awareness department!

If every single risk of personal bodilly injury is taken away by the nanny states we live in, and by resorts being sued by insurance companies on behalf of clients who have broken a finger, then the whole piste will become a mass of nursery slopes. And where would the enjoyment in that be?

Spyderman, Whitegold and all - I don't think comparing the danger of F1 with skiing really has much relevance. After all, F1 drivers are paid 10s of millions of pounds every year to take a risk - that's many times more than most people will earn in an entire lifetime, and more than most people would ever have inb the way of accident and life insurance cover. We all know it's dangerous, but thankfully the extent of a driver's professional training and the safety measures go a long way to mitigate a lot of the risk involved. With recreational skiing on the other hand, punters pay to do it , the risks are less due to slower speeds, some safety measures are in place - but lack of training, irresponsible behaviour, lack of thought for others, being egged on to do something too far above your ability, the fact that we're in mountains where avalanches can happen, the fact that some irrsponsible people will trigger avalanches, and the sheer high number of people who enjoy the sport, all mean that there is a risk and lot of people get injured or killed. I don't know the percentage of skiers injured or killed each year so can't compare it with motor racing (not just F1 as that's only one small group - but all motorsports) - but I wouldn't be surprised if the risks (at least of injury) in each were similar.

Dudes, I've waffled on - sorry!
ski holidays
Quote:

But please refrain from such discourteous commentary.

It does not put you in a good light.

Ask me if I care!

(huge raspberry - sticks thumbs in ears and waggles fingers)

Quote:

Watch learning snowboarders - they fall, and fall and fall. It hurts.

Aha. That would be why I spend all my time at the moment feeling as though someone kicked my head in at Smithy's last night. I knew it couldn't actually be that, since I never go in the place and am in bed by 10pm every night.

Boarding is fun when you get the hang of it though.
ski holidays
easiski, Have to agree with you re boarders. Two of our have kids swapped from skiing to boarding over the last couple of years and watching their early lessons was enough to convince me its not as easy as some people think. for the first few days they seemed to fall about every 10 yards. After 3 weeks one daughter could 'get down' pretty much anything but on steeps this was acheived by a sliding scrape rather than carved turns. The boarders are also the only ones in the family to have broken a bone, funnily enough it was a wrist!

Watching other boarders on the slopes it does seem to me that falling is more an inherent part of the activity than it is for skiers. Maybe an experienced boarder would comment here, but when playing on 'average' pistes, it is quite unusual for any of our skiers to fall. Maybe once or twice in a week when someone catches an edge. But the boarders on those same pistes, who appear to be of reasonable skill, still appear to fall on their face or bum every couple of runs! Certainly doesn't look easy to me Shocked
ski holidays
I've got more than enough room for improvement on the skiing to consider acquiring fresh skills (which can't come that easy) boarding.
latest report
I heard that snowboarding is no harder than skateboarding (probably not true), but the last time I tried skateboarding I smashed into a garage door and knocked myself out.
snow report
Spyderman, I took Fastman's comments to be ironic, don't you think?
latest report
Spyderman,

I may be wrong but reading FastMan, 's quote I think his tongue was firmly wedged in cheek.

I also think that Whitegold enjoys playing devils advocate rather than being a real troll.
ski holidays
Back to the topic and forgetting about whose been skiing/teaching/trolling the longest so therefore obviously must know everything(?)...

When skiing tricky spots I find that I focus very quickly on all the things that could possibly happen if things go wrong no matter how unlikely.
Skiing a 50 degree slope is not a problem, but if there are rocks to hit at the bottom, no matter how small the chance of actually hitting them is, I have problems. Traversing is the worst thing for me. Even on simple traverses in exposed terrain I get all nervous even though I'd _really_ have to cock up in a spectacular way to actually fall off a cliff. I had a big freeze up at the top of Hawaii five-O on Blackcomb last week, wasn't planning to ski it but rather the run below and had to traverse along the top of it, got to a rock to step over and all I could think was falling into Hawaii-Five-O (it's not too bad if you are intending to ski it, but less than ideal to fall into!), took quite a while and some deep breaths to get past it!! Strangely enough it was also actually the second time that day I'd done it that was the troublesome one!!
I've not really decided whether it is better to be like that and at least consider all the consequences of mistakes and hence be very rigid in my skiing and not ski runs well, or try and forget about it and ski better but perhaps one day overlook something I should have considered?

I used to also be dead scared of skiing trees - mainly because I was always worried about skiing into them!! Shocked With the increasing ability to actually turn when/where I want to (with a greater success rate!! snowHead ) this became less of an issue, so I guess increased ability reduces fear in any given circumstance.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Spyderman, I took Fastman's comments to be ironic, don't you think?

Cool Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
FastMan,
Quote:

I mean really, come on, what's to be scared about. You'd have to be a real sook.

Michael Schumacher broke both his legs.
Ayrton Senna Sadly lost his life.
Alex Zanardi lost both of his legs.

Don't tell me it's not dangerous and there's no fear involved.
Quote:

It's much like a World Cup Downhill. Sure, it takes some basic skill,

Only basic skill to do a World Cup Downhill. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha.

The safety measures in place in F1 & Ski racing, are there because it is so dangerous.

F1 racers do thousands and thousands and thousands of laps every year. The injury and death rate is relatively not scarily high.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, If you didn't think you knew everything already, you might actually learn something new. I've worked in F1 as a front line race engineer for 15 years now, so I have a reasonable idea what drivers go through in terms of facing fear etc. Despite your casual dismissal of the fears, there are plenty to be overcome. But just like in other extreme sports they deal with it in a variety of ways. But the main factor in reducing fear is confidence in their own ability, which only comes from years of practice and familiarity. Without this, they would be terrified regardless of the perceived safety levels. This is far removed from a track day in a Formula Ford. That would be like comparing an average recreational skier against a top professional WC downhill racer.

So back to my earlier point, rational fears are normally real justified fears due to lack of confidence in your ability. They are best tackled by practice in situations where you are more comfortable. with gradual exposure to higher levels. You don't learn to face the fear of ski jumping by chucking yourself off the biggest jump. You do it by starting small, gaining skill, experience and familiarity. Then gradually go a little bigger. It's no different in alpine skiing. If a slope terrifies you, it's probably because you realise you haven't got the ability to ski it safely. Ignoring your rational fears is frankly quite dangerous.
latest report
Quote:

used to also be dead scared of skiing trees

stuarth, they sound terrifying - imagine a whole forest carving its way towards you and forcing you ever closer to the edge!
snow report
easiski wrote:
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

He knows more about everything than everyone - what a PITA. After all, I've only been skiing for 50 years, I've only been teaching for 30+ I can't possibly know abything can I? He knows FAR MORE. Someone works with F1 - he knows FAR MORE. Someone's looking at snow out of his kitchen window - HE KNOWS BETTER - THERE IS NONE,

why doesn't he pi** off back where he came. Arrogant g*t.

Again, please feel free to challenge my views. That is fine.

But this is the second time I have had to ask in just a few days.

Please hold off on the aggressive commentary.

It is unnecessary.

It does you no favors.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

F1 racers do thousands and thousands and thousands of laps every year. The injury and death rate is relatively not scarily high.

I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. Most F1 drivers I know have had at least one major accident at some point in their career, often causing medical problems for the rest of their lives (eg detached retina, crushed vertebra etc). But they don't generally fear death or injury during races (or testing for that matter). The fear comes from pushing the limits of their ability to go that little bit faster. One small error can quite easily result in a huge accident, but their rational fears tend to keep them from over-stepping that mark. It's not like racing on your Playstation.
ski holidays
Is it possible that everyone could just agree to differ here please? I started off a fairly valid and now it just seems to have degenerated into a slanging match - As I've pointed out before - no-one will agree with everyone all the time, but I do think providing we all stick to our own arguments that a thread can be read to see where most of the concensus is.

I'm tempted to ask admin to just delete the whole thread altogether.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. Most F1 drivers I know have had at least one major accident at some point in their career, often causing medical problems for the rest of their lives (eg detached retina, crushed vertebra etc). But they don't generally fear death or injury during races (or testing for that matter). The fear comes from pushing the limits of their ability to go that little bit faster. One small error can quite easily result in a huge accident, but their rational fears tend to keep them from over-stepping that mark. It's not like racing on your Playstation.

It is important not to get swept up in the F1 hype.

The F1 hype is, shrewdly, whipped up, to get bums on seats. And to motivate stakeholders.

F1 has, thankfully, registered zero fatalities in the last 10 years.

Dozens of drivers have covered a grand cumulative total of perhaps up to 1 to 2 million kilometers of racing and testing during that timeframe.

As they say, do the math.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Is it possible that everyone could just agree to differ here please? I started off a fairly valid and now it just seems to have degenerated into a slanging match - As I've pointed out before - no-one will agree with everyone all the time, but I do think providing we all stick to our own arguments that a thread can be read to see where most of the concensus is.

I'm tempted to ask admin to just delete the whole thread altogether.

Don't be afraid of an open debate. It is healthy. Some, but not all, persons in this thread have had some excellent viewpoints.
ski holidays
Megamum you're quite right but let's give people a chance to cool themselves down a little before we remove what is, on the whole, a very informative, in depth discussion on a subject close to many people's hearts.

Quote:
If you didn't think you knew everything already, you might actually learn something new.
I'd like to make the point that comments like this add nothing to the discussion and are in fact argumentitive for the sake of it. Look a t the post without it: it is packed with well presented facts and opinions, inviting debate and discussion by the forum as a whole. However with this phrase included, the post is weakened IMO as it takes on an aspect of personal quarrel.
Please understand, I don't mean to pick on you specifically uktrailmonster, I am simply using this as one example (and IMO not the worst example) of something that has cropped up a number of times in this discussion.

Remember, at snowHeads:
- it is (and must remain) OK to disagree respectfully with anyone. Otherwise we must inevitably end up with a little cabal of experts of varying degrees who define opinion for all and with whom no-one dare disagree. Then there's no point being a forum is there?

- it is not ok to rubbish someone or their opinion: no matter how wrong you think they are. If you wish to 'help them understand better why they are wrong' that's up to you. Otherwise just 'tut' and go make a cup of tea.
btw. Rubbishing someone's opinion and stating a strongly opposing opinion are not the same - if that's not obvious to you: go think about it or start a new topic to discuss it.

- State your views trusting that people will read everyone's opinion and sort out the truth for themselves.
Resorting to personal attacks or worse, name-calling rolling eyes in response to someone stating an opinion that you disagree with won't exactly inspire people's confidence in your viewpoint.

T Bar makes a good point - there is a big difference between trolling and playing devil's advocate in a discussion.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 3-02-07 16:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Megamum, clearly stuarth has been skiing at Dunsinane! Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, well I get it! Laughing
ski holidays
admin, When one states one's views the person in question, doesn't state his - he just contradicts you - whoever you are, whatever your experience. That's not arguing the point or putting his point, that's just being and arrogant ..... People who clearly have expertise in certain areas are, in fact rubbished constantly by this person, regardless. It's that that causes problems, not the deserved insults he receives.

Anyone who actually cares about what they're trying to convey is bound to get upset. Of course the person concerned may not give a sh*t about any of this. May be on lots of forums doing the same thing, and maybe it's funny on others - since I don't frequent other forums I don't know. Honest and heartfelt advice is just contradicted, if you argue or disagree you're contradicted again!
latest report
admin, Actually I thought that was a good piece of advice for Whitegold
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy