Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Psychology - have you overcome the ski 'fear factor'?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not worried about the technique side of things - that's learnable. Folks here say that once I've sorted the technique, the confidence will grow because I can do it and things should be self fulfilling. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has managed to overcome the ski 'fear factor', particularly if you started skiing in your 30's+. You know, when you look at where the lift goes and think 'Oh Boy' (if you're being polite). Anyone that has suffered from the 'fear factor' will know what I am talking about.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know a snowHead that had succumbed to the fear factor.
Funnily enough though he recovered at some point between his first and second runs in the race at the EoSB last season - either that or it was a really well planned hustle Laughing

Perhaps he could advise or you could just come to the EoSB and try the race - I reckon you'd love it Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
As I've said before, as your Technique improves, so will your confidence. What looked scary to you years ago you ski now without a second thought. Build slowly and it will be self fulfilling, don't just go for greatness all at once, because it can catastrophically destroy your confidence, should things go wrong. Most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the runs you are skiing, not go out to scare yourself stupid.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum,

yeah - i looked at where the beginners lift went and refused to let go of the instructor - for days!!!!

however just recently i skied this

so there you go... and the difference - technique... technique builds confidence...being forced does not really

keep at it - you will get there... ignore the petty fools that attempt to harass...
Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
little tiger,
Is that the Grand Couloir in Courchevel?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, Grand Couloir at Les Deux Alpes...

oh and Megamum - i was well over 30 when i started to ski ... in fact closer to 40... and since then i have also learnt to rollerblade and started learning to surf Cool

There are also some interesting studies on the effects of testosterone on fear... which explain the generally different attitudes between males and females... and the change in attitude of aging males.... but I seem to have got evicted from one website already for DARING to suggest that throwing folks that are paralysed with fear off cliffs may be a poor strategy and that there may be a testosterone induced difference in fear reactions between the genders.... so I'll leave the articles etc off...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got a bad attack of "vertigo" skiing off piste last year, and it really knocked my confidence. I am a fairly competent skier. It occurred when I was skiing off piste in a guided group. It was strange really, it wasn't on too steep a pitch, and it wasn't even exposed. I'd skied worse in the past, in worse conditions.

In hindsight, it happened because there was a long traverse onto the pitch that we were going to ski, and I didn't feel comfortable not knowing exactly what we were going to do, and I managed to wind myself up worrying about it, so much, so that when we started skiing I was really stiff, and struggled, and it all became a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. To make things worse, I gave up for the day after that first run, which made it much worse when it came to the next day...

suffice to say, the next day didn't go well either, and I ended up doing pretty much the same thing again.

Later on in the same week, I did ski a bit more off piste, but my confidence really took a knock, and it's only really this season that I've recovered. It even had percussions for my piste skiing, and for a while I would find myself getting the fear at the top of steep pitches on black runs. Throwing in the towel early on both days definitely made things much worse for me.

The things that helped me get over it were getting some more lessons, both generally, and specifically on off-piste technique, and secondly, by making sure that I didn't avoid the circumstances that led to the fear in the first place. As I've skied more off-piste since then, my confidence has returned.

I think that the last thing I would say is, just get on and do it. Don't sit at the bottom worrying about how steep it is, definitely don't stand at the top worrying about how you're going to get down it, just drop in, make a turn, make another turn, and then before you know it, you're skiing down it.

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, I don't know if this is of use but in the days before I became fearless I used to "use" my fear in other stressful situations - for example as an el Presidente I had frequently to speak in public. As I rose to my feet, I would think back to the last really hairy run I had done and say to myself "well if I could do that this will be a piece of cake".

Maybe you could reverse that process? I imagine childbirth, for example, must be pretty scary Confused

I would think that not many skiers have not had to overcome the fear factor at one time or another - imagine skating out of the start gate on the Hahnenkaam Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Maybe you could reverse that process? I imagine childbirth, for example, must be pretty scary

I've been there twice at my kids birth, sure it must smart a bit, but certainly not as bad hitting your thumb with a Hammer. wink Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda - hence my comments on the effects of testosterone.... also i believe from someone who trained DH racers the technique thing still works in this situation...

there is "anxiety" type fear - being worried...

and then there is the "paralytic" type fear.... being frozen stiff(yes I've done it been unable to move at all).... when you are frozen stiff with fear then suggesting "facing the fear" is a poor option... the stiffness is real and will affect performance... which may result in injury.... which then compounds the fear....
having suffered from both types of fear (doh! the first is common) I'll suggest that avoiding the paralytic situations is not a bad strategy... eventually continued exposure and technical improvement changes the level at which the paralysis will set in... Note my example - from top of a purpose built beginners slope with 3 and 5 degree slopes... to GC at L2A.... and still not paralysed....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to be scared at times, but strangely, since getting married and having 4 kids, I seem to be doing more and more stuff now that would have scared me 15 years ago! Like hooning around on my motorbike, riding my mountain bike down steep hills, being happy walking around on high beams and rooftops when working on houses, - lots of silly little things.

And with skiing - well some things did scare me until I realised that even on a really steep or bumpy slope it's dead easy to do a turn and stop, do a turn and stop, do a turn and stop etc. And when you realise how easy it is to stop and not fall off the hill there's really not so much to worry about. I think the times I found it scarey I was standing at the top of a slope and looking at the bottom - and worying that the height of several hundred feet is a long way to fall. But in reality, you only fall a few feet (for me my head goes down 5ft 10 and a half to the ground) and then you might slide a bit - but never as far as you first imagine you might (normally!).

Technique will definitely build confidence. Learn to turn across the slope to slow down or stop (whether you be in snowplough, or carving or whatever) and how to hold a strong edge and you'll realise you ain't going to fly uncontrollably all the way to the bottom. And also realise that when you're across the slope and holding a strong edge, if you find yourself in a pickle you can easily get down the steepest bits by side slipping if necessary - just ease off the edge hold a bit and let the skis gently slip sideways and then get back on the uphill edges to stop! And when skiing down you can constantly control speed by turning across the slope to a greater or lesser extent between each turn. The main things are being able to "read the terrain" - i.e. know which way the slope is going - and knowing how your direction on that terrain is going to affect your speed. My wife had trouble the first time trying to see which way "across the slope" was unless it was on a perfect nursery slope and would whizz off in an undesired direction thinking her skis were across the slope - while the skis were at 90 degrees to the direction of the piste they were still pointed very much down the slope in the direction of the side of the piste! Once she'd figured that then things improved a lot..
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fear is your Brain telling you to be cautious. It can save your life. I have skied runs in the past where a fall could and probably would have resulted in serious injury or worse. I won't ski that sort of terrian now, even though my technique is far better now than it was then. I was at the age when you think you are indestructible and it won't happen to me. Fortunately I survived and got smart.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wuss
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doug Coombs, Patrick Vallencent, Sylvain Suddain. RIP
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman wrote:
Doug Coombs, Patrick Vallencent, Sylvain Suddain. RIP

Idea listing dead skiers is a great way of boosting someone's confidence
ski holidays
Megamum, I started skiing when I was ~30, I'm now nearly 37. I've experienced a few scarey moments, until very recently I've generally assumed that any new lift terminates in a table top sized space with precipices all around it! And I've had a couple of run in's with icy slopes. For the first problem, I sort of realised that ski resorts don't do that to you, and some of the places I remembered as hairy where I learned to ski I find benign now I have more experience. For the second problem, I discovered that the skis you are on can make a big difference. I've sort of reached the point now where I realise the run grading (blue, red, black) isn't that important - but the conditions (how crowded it is, how icy) are.
latest report
Spyderman is right. People without fear usually end up in trouble. If you are scared of something, there's probably a good reason. Stay on slopes you are comfortable with for the most part to build confidence and then try things that are just on the edge of your comfort zone when you're feeling at your best. Slowly, but surely, you will extend your limits. I started skiing young and rarely suffer fear in normal situations, but I started mountain biking seriously in my 30s and that was a whole different ballpark! I learned the following rules to stay alive and enjoy it:-

1. Always start the day with something you can do easily.
2. Only try difficult stuff when you're feeling at your best and believe you can do it. If you're not happy with something just walk away.
3. When you first achieve something on the edge of your ability, go back to doing something easier again immediately after.

I reckon rule 3 is the most important. I've had my biggest mountain bike crashes after achieving a new goal, getting cocky and then trying something even harder straight afterwards!
latest report
Spyderman, I was joking! I don't take excessive risks either - too much to lose. It's the irrational fears that hold most people back though - thinking they're going to fall several hundred feet down a piste, when in reality the ground is still right under their feet.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster,
Quote:
I reckon rule 3 is the most important. I've had my biggest mountain bike crashes after achieving a new goal, getting cocky and then trying something even harder straight afterwards!

What's that then - cycling to the pub and then trying to cycle back home?
ski holidays
Megamum, I learnt to ski at age 40 - I was petrified, the worst in my ski group, I had to go down one run with my instructor in reverse snowplough and me holding her hands, I used to walk halfway down blue pistes because I was too frightened to ski them.

Now 7 years on, I am skiing blacks, some off-piste (not all), I ski quite fast because I like going fast, I feel confident, but not on everything and this has come about because I now have the ability to cope by using the skills and knowledge, I have acquired through the years. Ski lessons are important, and a good instructor. You WILL get there, believe me, you have the fire, you want it just as I did, despite the fear! snowHead
ski holidays
petemillis,
I was hoping you were joking, I was just proving the point that even skiers at the highest skill levels, that without fear to protect them, they ski terrain where if they fall it will probably be their last. You'd have to put them in the same class as Base Jumpers, fearless adrenalin junkies. I'd love to have their skill level, but I would only ski terrain where if I fell, I would still be around to ski another day.

Arno,
Megamum, Will never be skiing the sort of terrain, that those, probably amongst the greatest technical skiers of all time, skied. They knew the condiderably risks and chose to ignore them. Fear would probably have saved them.
I'm not trying to scare anyone. Better technique will lead to greater confidence, but a little fear is no bad thing.

uktrailmonster,
Me too on the mountain bikes, cost me a fortune in dental work, when I got a bit too cocky.
ski holidays
Megamum, I am with you on this one. As your technique increases,so will the difficulty of slope that scares you. It is sometimes worth stopping at the bottom of a piste that has tested you and looking back up. Things always look steeper looking back than they do when you are actually on it
ski holidays
I wouldn't recommend avoidance as a coping strategy for any type of fear, or anxiety little tiger. It's not a healthy way of dealing with it.
snow conditions
Megamum, if you are really serious about improving your skiing and getting the mental side sorted out then I can't recommend Carlyle at Prohab enough - (www.prohab.co.uk). I was very skeptical about the whole thing at first but after a couple of sessions my mental block about skiing exposed traverses was cleared. As his website states you need to get everything working for you - equipment, technique and the grey matter if you are going to see serious improvement in your skiing. It may be a bit much for the two weeks a year skier but if you want to improve and ski terrain that you never thought you could then it's worth it
snow conditions
Megamum, A lot of good comments above which resonate well with my experience. My confidence took a knock last November when I was skiing like a gonk, with jelly legs not realising that it was mild AMS and dehydration to blame. Getting my balance right (weight forwards) helped me recover (I had been sitting back through fear) and skiing with an instructor I trusted, down something quite steep (but not busy, bumpy or icy) helped A LOT. I also found that 'getting angry' with the slope helped me overcome the fear, sort of 'right you b@st@rd, I'm not letting you scare me' (I actually shoted that out loud at one point Embarassed maybe a tad too much testosterone there Toofy Grin ).

Overall I'd agree with the messages that improving technique helps reduce fear (particularly of steep slopes) and it is defintely worth re-visiting a slope that scared you 'last season' at the end of this one. Mrs Axs was intimidated by the top of the slope at Xscape first time she skied it, we went back for the EB ski demo day and it made her laugh Laughing

(BTW we both started skiing at 40+).
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
I wouldn't recommend avoidance as a coping strategy for any type of fear, or anxiety little tiger. It's not a healthy way of dealing with it.

Depends on the rationality of the fear. It's one thing avoiding harmless small spiders or flying just because of an irrational fear. But avoiding a steep icy double black run because you haven't got the skill and confidence to get down it safely makes perfect sense. Most fears ebb away naturally as you improve and become familiar. When you push yourself too far, too soon, you risk running out of talent and having a big crash. You see a lot of people (usually men) skiing on slopes way out of their depth, just because of peer pressure and their own determination to succeed. I don't think it improves their technique and certainly increases their chances of getting hurt. It's true kids learn quickly by pushing the envelope, but they don't break as easily (most of the time anyway)
latest report
uktrailmonster, so, are you saying that if something that paralyses you with fear (e.g. the icy double black), it might (sometimes) be a good idea to avoid it?
snow report
my tip is try some climbing - you'll find skiing very tame in comparison wink

seriously though I rock-climbed and mountaineered in my teens and early twenties - little since. I've never felt "gripped" when skiing. THe point is that you can train yourself to deal with exposure - just takes practice.

J
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:

It is not avoiding the fear - but the paralytic situations....

Simply working on the "anxiety level" situatiions is sufficient....

I have a couple of friends who suffer from this type of fear and have overcome it (one works as an instructor and skis soem awfully steep stuff with no issues ... but only through having worked at it in this way)... and then there is my experience - and I HAVE been frozen and had someone try to drag me "through it" ... did nothing... in fact i still have an irrational fear of that particular slope when my fear of similar areas has long since dissipated...

being FROZEN with fear is quite different to being SCARED...
latest report
little tiger wrote:
It is not avoiding the fear - but the paralytic situations....

So, if you become paralytic with fear in certain situations, you're saying it would be a good idea to avoid those situations?
snow report
Humans react to fear in two ways.

They fight or flight.

Practice more. Train more. Learn more. Get fitter. Eat better.

And you will gradually fight more, and flight less.

Hard work, both physically and psychologically, is the only way you will overcome fear on the slopes.
snow conditions
Megamum, the best way of overcoming your fear, is to ski with someone who you really trust (ie a good instructor). Then put yourself in their hands. Do what they say. That way you will attempt things that you would never otherwise try. The key is to pick your person carefully....someone who has the skill to assess you and what you are capable of. Then go for it.
latest report
Megamum, I'm not Mr Intrepid (I wouldn't go near the Grand Couloir at Courchevel or LDA), but three things helped me become less fearful and more confident of my ability.

1. Having some real purlers and not hurting myself particulalrly badly.
2. Having first class instructors who gave me the confidence to try runs I really didn't fancy.
3. Becoming a more competent skier.

You need to strike a balance between always staying in your comfort zone, and so improving only very slowly and not getting the buzz of doing something really challenging (to you), and being a suicidal maniac. Where that balance lies depends on you, but I'd advise that if you really, really don't fancy a run, don't do it. You're there to enjoy yourself, and only some people enjoy pushing themselves to and beyond their limit. There's no intrinsic virtue in being a good skier or in skiing tricky runs.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
uktrailmonster, so, are you saying that if something that paralyses you with fear (e.g. the icy double black), it might (sometimes) be a good idea to avoid it?

Yes definitely, all the time. When you're "ready" to tackle it, you should be a little scared, but confident of your ability to do it. If you are terrified or not confident of your ability (these two factors are generally related) then why bother? Millions of years of evolution have provided us with this important sense, but some people insist on fighting it. The reason you are alive today is because ALL your ancestors survived long enough to breed. The ones that were a little over adventurous died out long ago. So just trust your instincts, they will usually be right.

Totally irrational fears (like house spiders) are a completely different matter.

I work closely with Formula 1 racing drivers and they learn to block out their rational fear, relying purely on their skill to survive. Much like extreme skiers I would imagine. But it's not a good strategy in normal life unless you want to risk injury or death.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Yes definitely, all the time. When you're "ready" to tackle it, you should be a little scared, but confident of your ability to do it. If you are terrified or not confident of your ability (these two factors are generally related) then why bother? Millions of years of evolution have provided us with this important sense, but some people insist on fighting it. The reason you are alive today is because ALL your ancestors survived long enough to breed. The ones that were a little over adventurous died out long ago. So just trust your instincts, they will usually be right.

Totally irrational fears (like house spiders) are a completely different matter.

I work closely with Formula 1 racing drivers and they learn to block out their rational fear, relying purely on their skill to survive. Much like extreme skiers I would imagine. But it's not a good strategy in normal life unless you want to risk injury or death.

Fear of spiders is not irrational. The human race evolved originally from Africa and the Middle East, where tiny poisonous creatures are relatively commonplace.

There has not been any fear in F1 for at least a decade. They drive round and round the same bit of smooth track for hours on end. It is highly monotonous wink
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Cool
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I think you are confusing the types of fear. Also simply avoiding situations is not a simple solution - as Kramer said, it was not the slope itsself that worried him - he had been in those situations before so how should he have known to avoid it?
ski holidays
little tiger, I see what you're saying now. For some people, "flooding" works as a technique, for others graduated exposure is a better approach. I misunderstood what you were saying. Embarassed
snow report
Kramer wrote:
little tiger, I see what you're saying now. For some people, "flooding" works as a technique, for others graduated exposure is a better approach. I misunderstood what you were saying. Embarassed

Thats OK...

I understand the difference between irrational fear...

I have had long standing battle with fear re physical stuff... which I am winning... but it is a slow process...

The testosterone abstracts I found seemed to point to a difference in the "subconcious" perception of fear... i should try to find them again.... as it seemed to tally with experiences from male and female friends and also from one female I know who has fear issues and has taken testosterone due to sporting stuff when younger... she has an interesting perspective on fear and testosterone and the effect on the person
latest report
uktrailmonster, thanks for that.
On another site I argued that point, but was told I was just a stupid testosterone-fueled man for even daring to suggest it.

My question I asked at the time was:
"If someone is regularly and frequently paralyzed by fear, then where does the enjoyment come from in doing the sport?"
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy