Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EOSB wishes

Poster: A snowHead
easiski wrote:
ssh, For off piste lessons, I believe in teaching peeps how to ski off piste, how to handle the conditions. therefore a fat ski that does it for you is no help. I'm not against fat skis, you understand, but a lesson is a lesson - for learning how to do something (or do it better), and a cheat is a cheat.
Laughing Don't hold back... tell me what you really think! NehNeh

I can see your point. This could be another US-Eur thing, or it could be a difference in how we approach it. I don't mind if folks want to learn off-piste technique on fatter skis, but I'll start them on-piste in the lesson, anyway, to make sure that they have the basics of the technique before we venture off-piste.

Given, however, your role at the EOSB, I defer to your judgment for the event. snowHead Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mountainbug, yes we have Nick Parks joining us for the week - he's the top guide at Mountain Tracks and, if the Times is to be believed, one of "The 20 people in wintersports you need to know!", no less... Wink

We should also have Philippe at our disposal again for at least part of the week. He's a director of the local independent ski school, has been resident in the valley for dozens of years and does rather know his way around (with his eyes shut in a whiteout and one leg tied behind his back).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, I am assuming that I've seen them ski on piste before the lesson - yes.

admin, WHEN?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THE FORM FOR LESSONS AND EXTRAS IS NOW OUT. CHECK YOU MAILBOXES PLEASE, AND FILL IT IN ASAP. Thanks Very Happy

Thanks Admin Very Happy Very Happy

[Admin edit: or just go Here ]
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, admin, .. and an excellent clear form as well .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers admin, done the business....

As probably the least experienced skier going (ahem, only 1 week, did blue runs ok by the end of it) I'm happy to be doing my own thing most of the time and also have private lessons... I just want to get back out there and do more of the same really and maybe get onto more challenging stuff later in the week. Anyone else in a similar position who'd like to do similar?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pompeymanc, in that case you may find Jerry wll be happy to ski for a lot of the week with yer Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anything to avoid the scousers... Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pompeymanc, You should think about joining the group lessons too. Talltone can testify how he benefited last year(even had a cracking go at the race). Because it's small, friendly groups there's no likelihood you'll get left behind or feel that you're slowing anyone up (although you may have to get the first round in as a forfeit wink )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eeyore, Yes- but there were 2 one weekers last year and they had a lesson to themselves. We couldn't do it this year if there was only one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From my experience in my week when I did complete beginner lessons, after a couple of days the difference in abilities meant lots of time hanging about and waiting for the slowest person. Fair enough because that's the deal when you sign up to a ski school group, but I'd hate to be one slowing everyone down... Lessons for one it is snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pompeymanc, easiski, don't forget that MrsTallTone will be there (I just signed her up for group lessons). She has only had the two weeks and is quite nervous (easy reds only).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers for the input guys, I just reckon that I'll probably get more out of a one to one, as will others not being incumbered by a novice re-learning parrallel turns....

As for the race... well with private coaching who knows..... snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pompeymanc, Last year TallTone, did the race at the end of his first week - he wasn't the fastest, but he got down twice and had fun - the race is really compulsory you know - wimping out is just not cricket. No-one says you have to actaully race Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski wrote:
he wasn't the fastest

That is what is known as a euphemism! Laughing

I think I managed to equal everyone else - that is, add up everyone else's times and I think I equalled that wink

It was great fun. I will be doing it again this year! I have also put MrsTallTone's name forward, but I won't tell her that until race day Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Iv put myself down ~ my finger wavered over the" RACE" tick box ,then I just clicked it !!!!!!! oooerrrr Shocked
snow report
easiski, how many people are you looking at having in the group lessons' i know on the form it said 6 but in another thread you said ideally you would like it to be 4 in a group any idea's yet what it might be
latest report
easiski,

I'll be completing the form tomorrow (need to talk to sylusia). I have skied 12 weeks, but really haven't progressed for the last 4 or 5 - I don't want to over estimate my ability and/or end up in the wrong group - should I put a covering note on somehow? I can link fairly parallel turns but not for sustained periods, I can do easy blacks if reasonably wide. I don't do hard pack or death cookies, just groomed piste or with a couple of inches of fresh - I really want to improve - help please?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 2-04-07 21:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
marlin, Give the lady a chance, form only went up yesterday!! easiski methinks someone's excited. Not me of course, I'm the model of calm anticipation Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Sorry Eeyore, getting very excited as it will be my first time in 2 years Toofy Grin
snow conditions
marlin, 6 is the maximum limit we've imposed for group sizes. Four is ideal but we have to go with whatever logistics dictate so that the most people get what they want/need as cost effectively as possible.
Easiski wont be able to tell you how big your group will be until everyone's done their form filling and she's had time to assimilate all the data and arrange it into nice sensible patterns. Even then, there are bound to be one or two people who will need to shift groups when we're there, for whatever reason.
snow report
moon, well done, you'll enjoy it, don't worry! snowHead
snow conditions
Last year's EoSB race was so scary that I thought I'd get my big crash in on the way to the event and get it out of the way. Unfortunately I miscalculated rolling eyes
snow report
Yoda, Clearly you were working on the imperial as opposed to the metric, pesky EU regulations!!
ski holidays
WRT the group lessons. Last year although the range went from 4-12 weeks or so in the groups, there wasn't a huge range of abiltity in terms of technical skiing. It's likely that the groups will be formed and we'll have another ski off at the start of the first day, to decide who goes in which group. It will take me a good week to organise the lessons, given that I'm teaching 6-7 hours a day at the moment with bronchitis, I may be even slower than that. therefore it's ABSOLUTELY VITAL that you all fill in the form, so the Admin can get me onto the reporting stage (I tink he has to write more code).
latest report
Quote:

Last year's EoSB race was so scary Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
latest report
moon, it's an EoSB "in" joke I'm afraid. Doubtless all will be revealed when you visit "Yoda's fence" (similarly named to Gambon's corner) rolling eyes
ski holidays
moon, Really don't worry about it (well not too much wink ). I had read the stories of last year's EOSB 'race ' and was petrified of participating in this year's MSB - and I am incompetent in extremis but everyone was really supportive and helpful before and after the 'race' and I had never been through a gate before either. It really is a 'must do' just to get down the hill; the only person you are racing is 'yourself' - if I can do it so can anyone. It genuinely is fun ... snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, setting a deadline would probably be a good idea - say this Saturday night? That gives everyone a fair chance to get their details in, but concentrates the mind. It also leaves you with a fortnight to do the shuffling.
snow report
marlin wrote:
Sorry Eeyore, getting very excited as it will be my first time in 2 years Toofy Grin

.... and I'm giving him a lift to the airport Shocked

He's going to be bouncing off the walls and generally unbearable by then, isn't he? Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
jmdohanlon wrote:
marlin wrote:

.... and I'm giving him a lift to the airport Shocked

He's going to be bouncing off the walls and generally unbearable by then, isn't he? Very Happy Very Happy

Wait till you meet Jerry. NehNeh Hope you have some ear defenders??? Maybe you could borrow some from the ground crew at East Midlands Airport Wink
latest report
Charlatanefc, this just gets worse. Sad Sad

Jerry is the third of the three of us in my car to EMA. Shocked

Good tip about the ear defenders, I have some at home so will make sure they are packed.
latest report
jmdohanlon, heh heh heh. Jerry is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. Just doesn't know when to stop gabbing Wink
snow report
Charlatanefc, as long as he gets a regular cuppa he's fine Wink
latest report
TallTone, not a bad idea, something permanently for his mouth??? How about a gag? Little Angel Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:
How about a gag?

Did you hear the one about the tea-loving skier from Barnsley? He asked for a cuppa on the mountain and got... oh never mind rolling eyes

Maybe you could soak a tea-towel in a brew overnight and use that? Shocked
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
TallTone, not a bad idea, something permanently for his mouth??? How about a gag? Little Angel Laughing Laughing

An amyl nitrate soaked satsuma perhaps? What could possibly go wrong? wink
ski holidays
Kramer, well, I never knew about the amyl nitrate - you learn all sorts here - including stuff you'd never want to try (I mean the satsuma, not the poppers)
latest report
I am not even going to think about googling for that at work! Shocked
latest report
All very amusing chaps, but may I suggest that we have sidelined the original purpose of this thread?

To recap:
easiski wrote:
It will take me a good week to organise the lessons. Therefore it's ABSOLUTELY VITAL that you all fill in the form, so the Admin can get me onto the reporting stage (I tink he has to write more code).

So to all our readers - fill in the form ASAP, which can be found Here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy