Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

masive snow for next week!!

John Heaton
John Heaton
carled, I'll do it for you 1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....10 Sigh!

joshua, iloveskiing, Being rude won't endeer you to anyone. Quote from the site guidelines: "Don't forget that other snowHeads are real people too and you're communicating down a real narrow channel. Don't say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face and think carefully about how your post will be read by others." I value carled,'s contributions here and hope that he continues to discuss the charts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, Keep up the good work. There are, I'm sure, many snowheads that appreciate the time you take on here to give your honest views on the weather models.

joshua, iloveskiing Pack it in, the tone of your posts aren't appreciated.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
John Heaton, Being rude? What kind of forum is this? Mine was a genuine post of my personal view on things (you know what forums are normally used for). This has then been attacked by someone who obviously has a far superior opinion and does not like others expressing theirs.... I suggest you have a read again at all the posts. Its Pathetic really!! I have not insulted anyone nor do I intend too. Its a pity this is not shared by everyone on this forum. Maybe Carled whose opinion I respect may think twice next time before telling others to dismiss other users posts..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
iloveskiing, I thought you have been inoffensive and you don't deserve the maligning that you are getting.

You said that snow would be found in abundance and that will be true. Maybe (maybe not) falling from the sky, but certainly on the ground. Conditions will be better in most places this week than at any other time this season - especially if you go to Nassfeld.

The constant barrage of "skiing is dead" "it will never snow again" "this season is over" that we get on almost every other thread is really doing my head in. It is certainly the last thing I want to read, time and time again (whether or not it is true). S'funny that global warming didn't crop up last season as such a major discussion topic when we had the bumper snow and long-term freezing temperatures.

Not sure that I would actually have started a thread the way that you did, but don't let them grind you down - stay optimistic wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
John Heaton,
Quote:

joshua, iloveskiing, Being rude won't endeer you to anyone. Quote from the site guidelines: "Don't forget that other snowHeads are real people too and you're communicating down a real narrow channel. Don't say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face and think carefully about how your post will be read by others." I value carled,'s contributions here and hope that he continues to discuss the charts.

a couple of quotes from carled:
"I've been banging on for weeks about how it's impossible to predict the amount of snow that'll fall and yet the last week or so has seen SO many posts from (mainly) noobs on here on the emotional rollercoaster as GFS swings about every few hours... "
"If you don't like the truth, go stick your head further up your own 'arris, if that's physically possible (which I suspect it's not as it sounds like you're neck deep already). "

Hardly polite I'm sure you'd agree, so before having ago at other people, you should read the rest of the posts.

Everyone is entitled to their own views, and if pepole want to get excited at some particular forecast then I see nothing wrong in that, it does not however deserve abuse from carled. I don't condone subsequent posts by people on the above, but then carled should not be so disrespectful of fellow snowHead who are happily voicing their own opinions on what is meant to be an open forum.

Everyone values the points of view of knowledgeable people on the weather, but not the belittling of other peoples optimism for snow no matter how ill-informed (not that a weather website should be counted as that). Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Iloveskiing, joshua and now, it would appear, Ricardo... you both allude to "reading the posts again." I suggest that before you start casting me as a doom-monger (like Stanton! wink ) that you actually take some time to read what I've said. Honestly, you're both behaving like ostriches wanting to avoid hearing someone not proclaiming it will snow for days on end.

It's not a case of having a "superior" opinion, it's a case of having a differing opinion. I have absolutely no problem with anyone posting their opinions on the weather, as I KEEP saying, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur... but I do have objections to people posting what I would class as "controversial"posts which will stir up those on here that are, shall we say, more inexperienced and anxious about winter holidays than others. Your (iloveskiing) post was a virtual incitement to riot by posting something that makes it appear it will be snowing "in abundance" next week (can all the bullpoo about it being "found" in abundance having fallen already, you know darned well (and it's backed up by a later post) that it was talking about new snow falling, not what's already there).

I don't like being forced into negative posts, as contrary to Ricardo's opinion I don't revel in adversity, but I am telling you now, there will be NO significant snowfall over most of the alpine region until near to next weekend. It will also get warm enough to melt some of the lower lying snow over the same period. However, it will be nowhere near as bad a melt as we had a couple of a weeks ago and some higher areas will see a few sprinklings of new snowfall, at the moment more likely in Austria/Italy but it could happen in parts of France too.

You see, people who come on here looking for info will see a post about "snow in abundance" for next week and maybe go telling all their mates/fellow travellers the "good news" (ahem) only to be ridiculed when they get out there to find warmer temps and no new snowfall.

I actually have a personal opinion (hey, you said they were allowed, right?) that iloveskiing is a bit of a troll... (and a bit of something else, to be honest, but I'll keep the details to myself...)

I will continue to call the weather as I see it. You don't like it? Don't read my posts...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dum de dum, la de dah, dum de dum, la de dah. We're all going on a skiing holiday, no more worries for a week or two . . . Snow or not, I'm going skiing! snowHead

Carled keep your posts coming dude, at least you have something to back them up with. I don't have a problem with anyone being optimistic but never once did the Original Poster say where they got their forecast or even try to back it up, they just assumed they were being personally attacked and launched their own offensive.

Guys, we are all here to enjoy a bit of skiing, weather allowing, why oh why do we feel we have to argue with a computer screen??? And that's for all of you. NehNeh
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, I wasn't targetting you particularly. Whitegold was the one I had in mind, he seems to slip his doom laden prophecies in as many threads as he can.

A big part of the enjoyment of a ski holiday is the anticipation beforehand. I would much rather be free to hope for good snow than be told by all and sundry that there is no chance (especially when all of the amateur meterologists on here end there forecasts by saying of course it may not happen the way they have just been predicting). It isn't as if many of us on here are able to drop everything and go where and when the snow falls - for the majority of us, our trips are pre-booked. Knowing the minutiae of the weather forecast won't make a great deal of difference in the end, we make do with what snow there is on the ground and if more comes while we're there - then great.

I also hardly think that anyone would just read this one thread for information, the whole of this site is dominated by threads on the weather.

Quote:

I don't revel in adversity, but I am telling you now, there will be NO significant snowfall over most of the alpine region until near to next weekend.

I would take issue with you there as you appear to love giving negative posts. It isn't necessary to do that, there may not be anything for France, but this chart indicates up to 60cm in part of Austria. It just depends on where you get your information.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
*sigh*

Ricardo... meteoblue do at least use the NMM and not GFS models to predict precipitation (a more accurate (normally) model)... or they did the last time I looked anyway, I may be wrong and I can't be bothered to go and check now because the point is moot anyway. The point is that, whatever model they are using will change a few times a day with the different runs anyway... It's not so much the precipitation that's the issue this week (although there won' tbe much anyway) it's the warmer temps spoiling the party...

Davejsy's post about me being rude is just him being miserable because I had a (meaningless) run-in with him on another post already... sour grapes, methinks. Join the lynch mob Dave, why don't you?

As to me appearing to love giving negative posts... you're having a laugh mate! Do your research properly before making such false accusations please! I spend half my time on here actually countering the doom mongers! I'm one of the more optimistic posters on here if there is even the sniff of wintry weather! Check out a few posts:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=532758&highlight=#532758
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=527724&highlight=#527724
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=527451&highlight=#527451
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=524390&highlight=#524390
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=522941&highlight=#522941
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=520148&highlight=#520148

...and that lot is only going back to 11th Jan... you are basing your accusations on the mud being slung at me at present, please do me the courtesy of actually checking out what I say rather than joining in with the sheep!

The point to my realism is that, if you hang around on here for a while, you'll notice that mainly "noobs" (not as derogatory as some believe, just an epithet for "new posters" or "newbies" on here with a low post count) seem to treat too many "forecasts" on here as gospel, then a few days later come back with digital tears in their eyes wondering why the the predicted metre of snow hasn't fallen... All I do is counteract the more wild predictions made.

So... on to your posted precipitation chart. Like I say, it is IMPOSSIBLE to predict snowfall to cm level... "light", "moderate" and "heavy" is about as accurate as it'll get. How much snow was predicted for Nassfeld last week? Not over a metre, I can tell you... Conversely, Bad Gastein just over the mountain probably had significantly more predicted than the paltry 10cm it got. I've already said in my posts in this thread that Austria and Italy, higher up, will be the likely beneficiaries of some light snowfall this week and IF it stays cold enough, the accumulated amount may be decent...
ski holidays
 John Heaton
John Heaton
iloveskiing, What kind of forum is this?

One where you and I can disagree and yet if paths cross, buy each other a drink 'cause we've just had a great days skiing?
One where your free to spend hours reading other peoples posts until you get a 'feel' for what they mean before debating with them.
One where arguements ebb and flow and change literally with the weather.
One where genuine frendships can emerge, people come and go, but over time you see the message rather than the words inside a post.

davejsy, Hardly polite I'm sure you'd agree
I do, but to be frank carled, made me chuckle. The old NehNeh or Crying or Very sad or Shocked thing often softens a retort and could have been used to good effect in this instance.

<<you>> Ah! the old quoting thing doesn't work here Embarassed Edit: davejsy, you should read the rest of the posts
I did. Several times. I sometimes think that a better measure of forum activity (and thus perceived ranking) should be 'posts read' rather than the 'posts made' figure.

Last edited by John Heaton on Sun 28-01-07 23:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, Firstly please read my posts individually and not lump them together with others who happen to support my view. That said I think you are really missing the point. Or maybe you really do know what you are doing... I hope not. You can't say that my post may cause people to be overly optimistic and book holidays they should not. If that was the case I would also have listened to people such as yourself that were the doom merchants over the christmas period and cancelled my vacation. Instead I chose to ignore the negative posts and go anyway and by the way we had a fantastic time with 90% of the runs open with great skiing. Could not these negative comments be causing just as much if not more damage than my (I still stick to it) positive prediction. To conclude, I would not have the arrogance to tell other snowheads to ignore your posts on the grounds that I do not agree with them. This is what you have done, and you still do not appear to realise your error. By all means disagree stating your reasons why, but only a fool (no offence intended) dismisses other peoples arguments. I genuinely hope you can acknowledge your error and bring this matter to an end. Oh and by the way I very much look forward to your next forecast prediction whether I agree or not.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
John Heaton, I agree enough said!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
iloveskiing, I stand by my statment to ignore your post, to be honest. I'm sorry if it comes across as blunt, but as John Heaton has pointed out, sometimes things come across as more brusque than they actually are. I meant no offence, my intentions were honourable and, as it appears to have caused you great offence, I apologise for that.

However, it is my opinion that you're way off target. We'll see. By the way, a few light snow showers in parts of Austria during the coming week does NOT count as "snow in abundance" in "most parts of the alps" ok? wink

As I have before, I'll stick my neck out a bit again... By next Friday it'll start getting much chillier across firstly Austria/Germany then down into Italy, Switzerland and France as cool temps plunge in from the North East. Pyrenees should join the party by next Sunday. Doesn't look to be too much precipitation showing on the latest runs, but hey, as we all well know, the precip is the hardest thing to predict, right?
snow conditions
 John Heaton
John Heaton
iloveskiing, I agree enough said!!

Blimey ..... mines a Stella wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, Could not disagree with you more, however apology accepted, lets move on.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
iloveskiiing...so where are you predicting massive snow for, as per your title, and when??

not having a go, geniunely interested!!
snow report
iloveskiing,
Quote:
You can't say that my post may cause people to be overly optimistic and book holidays they should not

'kinell! I didn't say that! If you've spent ANY time around here you'll know that in the weeks leading up to ALREADY BOOKED holidays, lots of inexperienced winter holidaymakers come onto these forums looking for info/straws to clutch at for their upcoming holiday... I am criticising posting like yours saying there is going to be loads of snow over "most of the alps" when there patently obviously isn't! I am the ying to your yang, the cucumber cooler to your madras curry, the alaska in your baked... call it what you will, I am stepping in on your original post with (and the record is there to be seen in this forum) a good record of getting the weather predictions pretty darned close when I do stick my neck out just to add a note of caution to your (in my opinion) wildly over optimistic prediction for "snow in abundance"...

Quote:
people such as yourself that were the doom merchants over the christmas period

Good grief... do me a favour and look about 8 posts up ^^^ to see how "negative" I am. You're getting me confused with Stanton (among others) and I think if you did a bit of research you'd realise that that funny runny stuff dripping down your face is egg...

As has been put to you a number of times in this thread now and you've utterly ignored whilst posturing like a pit bull on steroids... what are you basing your optimistic forecast on and what areas of the alps (remember, "most of them" according to you) are going to be the beneficiaries of this "abundance of snow" please?

As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, it appears as if English is not your first language and I've a feeling you are getting too wrapped up in the vagaries of syntax and expression and not concentrating on what is ACTUALLY being said...
ski holidays
Quote:

but only a fool (no offence intended) dismisses other peoples arguments.

iloveskiing, I think the problem was that your original post was an assertion, not an argument, and one without any supporting evidence. I agree that carled over-reacted telling people to ignore your post, because if anyone ("newbie" or not) got wildly excited about a completely unsupported claim which runs counter to all the weather models and the trend of informed forecasting, whether professional or amateur, then they only have themselves to blame if they get disappointed.

ricardo said
Quote:

A big part of the enjoyment of a ski holiday is the anticipation beforehand. I would much rather be free to hope for good snow than be told by all and sundry that there is no chance (especially when all of the amateur meterologists on here end there forecasts by saying of course it may not happen the way they have just been predicting). It isn't as if many of us on here are able to drop everything and go where and when the snow falls - for the majority of us, our trips are pre-booked. Knowing the minutiae of the weather forecast won't make a great deal of difference in the end, we make do with what snow there is on the ground and if more comes while we're there - then great.

It is entirely logical, and indeed probably good for mental health if you have pre-booked a trip, to ignore all forecasts more than a couple of days out or, indeed, just to look out of the window on the day and take each flake of snow as it comes. So don't read snow forecast threads. But many of us value them. I know quite a lot about UK weather and the implications of forecasts because I am a sailor, but I don't know about Alpine weather and am too idle to learn to interpret the models for myself, so I value contributions from people like carled, brian and skanky who do know how to read them and spend a lot of time interpreting them for the rest of us. If they didn't end their forecasts with a health warning about the impossibility of being sure about the weather in a week's time they'd be irresponsible. None of those people coupled their intelligent and well informed contributions with doomy stuff about the "end of skiing" or wrote off the prospects for the entire season before the end of December, as did some others. If the debate on this forum is to be useful (as opposed to entertaining at best or pointles at worst) assertions intended to be taken seriously must be backed up by evidence. Yours wasn't. Neither was the claim on another thread that dipping a bare backside into the snow was the best way of persuading the snow gods to smile upon us. But nobody suggested such the post in question be "ignored" because it was presented as a bit of fun, not a weather forecast. If I wrote on the "resorts" thread that Les Saisies was a fantastic place for challenging skiing, full of terrifying black runs and steep couloirs somebody would doubtless feel the need to tell others that I was wrong and they'd be right to do so. But I hope they'd do so in non-abusive language.
snow conditions
pam w, you address comments to me, which I think should be attributed to others. I have made no such unsupported claims as you suggest and have not been abusive. Kindly edit your post.

This thread began on Wednesday. Interesting to see that those now returning from Austria all report fantastic snow arriving Friday/Saturday/Sunday. I don't see there is a problem with this thread or the assertions of the OP. There appears to be such a fixation with France on this site, that the entire seasons skiing is based on what is happening in the Tarentaise and environs.

carled, you do seem to be covering all angles - no wonder you can claim to get it right. In this thread alone you have said

Quote:

there will be NO significant snowfall over most of the alpine region until near to next weekend

and

Quote:

Austria and Italy, higher up, will be the likely beneficiaries of some light snowfall this week and IF it stays cold enough, the accumulated amount may be decent...

and

Quote:

precip is the hardest thing to predict

so basically you will claim to be right if there is no snow at all or any amount of snow in Austria and Italy rolling eyes

With such a broad range of predictions you have no right to slam as vigorously as you do the suggestions of others. Especially in light of the experiences of those coming back from the Austrian resorts and reporting good snow as I have already mentioned above.
ski holidays
Ricardo, please don't tell me you are ever considering a legal career! Where is the contradiction? "No significant snowfall over most of the alpine region" followed by "LIGHT snowfall" in higher parts of Austria/Italy is hardly contradictory! Good grief... You also missed out the rest of the "no significant snowfall" quote where I went on to mention the snowfall anyway!

The "precip is the hardest thing to predict" line was tongue in cheek if you actually bothered reading the post correctly! Look back over the previous posts I was referring to!

Ricardo, you get all uppity about being allegedly misquoted by Pam in her extremely reasonable post and ask for an apology, then go on to make all manner of unsupported accusations about me... Don't worry, I won't be stamping my foot and demanding an apology... rolling eyes Do get a sense of perspective, chap.

Shall I put it in unequivocal language for you? To counter the original post, I said there will NOT be "snow in abundance" in "most areas of the alps" and any light snowfall that occurs will most likely be in higher areas of Austria and Italy. I stand by this. It will be too warm in many areas of the alps for much snow next week. I may be wrong and, as always when I'm predicting a lack of snow, I'm glad to be wrong, but I don't think I'll be far off.

I am NOT referring to lying snow, I say again, you are mixing me up with others who your argument is directed at (for true ironical impact, check out your apology-demanding post to Pam again...) so please have the courtesy of doing some research before trying to pigeon-hole me and you won't end up looking foolish. You are being so ludicrously selective in your post quoting that it's laughable. I also told someone in this thread that they'd be ok with even a few slopes open - hardly doom and gloom and "don't go skiing" is it?

Lastly, to accuse me of being too centred on France is laughable... I can't be bothered to tell you how wrong you are, but you'll find several posts from me in the past on this site that prove that to be an utterly fallacious statement... Laughing
ski holidays
Ricardo, yes, sorry, that particular comment should more clearly have been addressed to iloveskiing. My comment about your input was to wonder why someone who would rather not keep an eye on likely developments in the weather would bother reading a thread about weather forecasting and to complain when the amateur meteorologists who contribute include health warnings about the need to be aware of the limitations of computer modelling of weather in a week's time. Any professional meteorologist would do exactly the same. It's no good moaning at carled and others if the models suggest a number of equally possible outcomes. An indication of confidence/certainty is a very useful part of any forecast, amateur or professional. If you don't want to worry about all that uncertainty (a perfectly understandable position, given that the weather won't be taking any notice of the forecasts), don't bother to read them, and don't bother to criticise those that take the trouble to produce them.
latest report
carled, you have a cheek rolling eyes

I was not demanding an apology off Pam, I merely asked her to edit her post to make it read correctly.

I also did not accuse you of being too centred on France - please read my comment again. (but I won't be wanting an apology for that utterly fallacious statement wink )

Quote:

I am NOT referring to lying snow

Well we seem to be in agreement as the snow that I am talking about was not lying last wednesday when the OP began this thread, it came over the weekend.

I stand by my comments on your vaguaries as you clearly state in this thread that the accumulated amount may be decent and also that there will be no snow. Let's see what actually happens.
latest report
pam w, As I said earlier, I get fed up with the doom and gloom that has prevailed this site. This thread wasn't doom and gloom (initially anyway) so I am consistent in reading it.

Not sure why you value something that effectively says, there won't be snow, there might be snow, I've really no idea and also that it might be mild, it might not be rolling eyes , but we are all different, so good luck to you.
latest report
Wow, I really have stepped on someones toes don't you think Ricardo? Time to get off them now me think!!! and leave this forum to the so called amateur experts who I agree cover all their angles wink .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
iloveskiing, Laughing but please don't leave the forum altogether. Hope you have a great ski and put up a report when you get back snowHead .
snow report
Some folks have been wanting a good row to liven things up. This is pretty good stuff. Try and keep your respective cools but please try and keep going Very Happy .

Come on nowiloveskiing, none of that "I am off talk", IMHO your input is valued and you should be fighting your corner Toofy Grin
snow report
I think that my comment about iloveskiing being a troll has now been fully vindicated. Ricardo is as bad, nothing more to add from me on this one Frosty, sorry chap!
snow conditions
Quote:

Well we seem to be in agreement as the snow that I am talking about was not lying last wednesday when the OP began this thread, it came over the weekend.

Not round here it didn't, it came on Tuesday afternoon/night, exactly as forecast, and very nice it was (even though it did mean I had to use snow chains to get up from Geneva) but there hasn't been anything since. One problem with this discussion is that "the Alps" is a very big area which rarely experiences uniform weather throughout. It is looking as though there will have been no new snow in this part of France in the ten days prior to the end of this week but if other areas had snow at the weekend I'm very pleased for them. The weekend was wall to wall sunshine here, scarcely a streak of cloud in sight, and yesterday was distinctly warm. Nice cold night though, I could hear the snow cannon from my bed...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh well, if we keep bumping this thread to the top of the list, eventually the headline will be true (hopefully) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Ricardo wrote:
As I said earlier, I get fed up with the doom and gloom that has prevailed this site. This thread wasn't doom and gloom (initially anyway) so I am consistent in reading it.

Yes, but it was a generalisation covering the whole of the Alps backed up by not a great deal of evidence. Or, it may not have been worded very well.

Carled and the other on here always quantify their reading of the forecasts. Forecasts by their nature vary in accuracy the further into the future you go. I see no problem with Carled and the others giving their views as they see it. If the forecasts are doom and gloom that's just tough, we just hope that it gets better in the future.

snowHead
snow report
Sage, Agree with you, and I would add that IMHO carled, is not a 'doom & gloom merchant' anyway. I feel he gives a balanced and well researched interpretation, of the information available to him - something many of us non-meteorologists find very valuable. Very Happy

Certain OTHER forecasters (stanton are you there?) give the APPEARANCE of enjoying spreading 'bad' news. This may not be their intention, but it appears that way from some of their posts. 'Revelling in others misery' is unkind to say the least. carled, is definitely NOT guilty of this.

Dunno what planet Ricardo, et al are from, but would be surprised if it's anywhere local NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
Ricardo, No chance of that. This "troll" will continue to post his (non derogatory) views as and when I feel like it, no matter what others think. Carled keep up the condescending comments "friend", you never know one day they might actually make you look good Cool
ski holidays
How nasty do threads have to be before they get locked?
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore, This is not nasty. it is a bit more agressive tha we have been used to of late, but still reasonably humoured. it is the nature of the web but IMHO this thread is still in control.
ski holidays
doctor_eeyore, Absolutely. Can't we draw a line under this one guys? As a "NOOB", I came here to read about trips folks had been on, trips they were going on and sharing views on everything from gear to where to stay to equipment AND to make friends!!! I didn't come here to watch some lads squaring up to each other - I can do that down the local pub.

Weather, Politics and Religion all come under the same heading - either don't discuss or agree to disagree. The snow will be what the snow will be. We all know the season is late, we all know some places have more snow than others, we all know its pot luck. This etiquette guide comes from another forum I visit and it seems more than appropriate to post it here:
Quote:

"Speak your mind freely, but please be sensitive to the feelings and opinions of others. You might not always agree, but you can agree to disagree in a peaceful manner. Please remember it is all too easy for the tone and meaning of electronic messages to be misinterpreted so please think carefully before clicking the "add my message" button. Likewise it is important to remember that things written, rather than said, can feel much stronger, so please also bear this in mind when reading messages."

C'mon Guys, lets all be friends heh?
latest report
Sage,

Quote:

I see no problem with Carled and the others giving their views as they see it.

Totally agree, that is afterall how a forum works. However all of the above arguement seems to be born out of the fact that carled on this occasion (and several others), feels the need to rubbish other peoples posts, because they are in his mind stupid.

Maybe if he learned a bit of courtesy, and took a more constructive approach to his replies, then arguements/debates like this would not even happen.

Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Stalininstic stiffling of debate - I hope not wink

This thread has had the effect of concentrating debate on forecasting and whilst some comments may be a little pointed, the crux of the issue is that we all want good news snow reports but if there is no good news then I, for one, would like to consider and balance any knowledable arguments before deciding when and where to go.

If we were all the same in views and how we added to this thread then we would all be very dull boys and girls!!

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
I have no axe to grind at all here - I try not to worry about the weather as it's (largely wink) beyond my control.

I've enjoyed the cut & thrust of this tiff but I think it it might be instructive to return to the original post for a mo. This was posted almost a week ago and referred to this week..

iloveskiing wrote:
Most of the Alps should do well next week as snow is to be found in abundance

There's some uncertainty over whether 'found in abundance' was intended to suggest new snowfall (which, personally, I think it was) or something less obvious. However, let's assume it did, indeed, refer to new snowfall this week. As far as I can tell, Metcheck and even the reliably over-optimistic Snow-forecast are now forecasting no significant snow over the Alps for the next few days. Proof, I feel that iloveskiing's assertion has been proved wrong. It's a pity this barney about 'freedom of speech', the right to challenge views with which you may disagree, etc has blown up but it's a worthwhile debate in the great scheme of things.

Had the thread been restricted to 'was the original poster's prediction in any way borne out by subsequent events', I think the answer would have to be a big fat NO. Advantage Carled et al
snow conditions
IRed Leon, It has snowed in many places over the weekend and is still snowing in some areas as we speak. Funny also then that a great number of resorts are reporting their best ski conditions this year (as many recent snowhead reports have confirmed). Whilst there may not be snow in abundance in every resort I think my prediction stands tall and the week is not yet over either. "Advantage Carled et al" you're having a laugh. Carled did not forecast anywhere near the amount of snow that has fallen. 1-0 to the positive snowheads!!......... wink I thank you.
ski holidays
Who got fresh snow this weekend just gone??? I've not been around much so missed who got what and when Smile Good news for anyone heading out there this week!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy