Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Someone needs to introduce a measure of calm

Poster: A snowHead
Don't just take my word for it. The International Herald and Tribune, part of the world-renowned New York Times, would seem to agree that high temps and rain have recently been relatively commonplace across the Alps wink

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/10/sports/ski.php
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold, well - I know Davidof, and I know he does his research - why believe an american newspaper which would clearly have a political axe to grind? Davidof says depths normal at 2,400 - I'd rather believe him and the evidence of my own eyes than you or the Herald Tribune! It appears that you just want to stop everyone going on holiday with your untrue posts.

this is ridiculous. It's not a good year. this happens. People haven't got the ability to control the weather. Because some places have very little or no snow it's really offensive to see posts and hear rumours that there is no snow anywhere. It's also unfair on people who have booked holidays, causing lots of undue stress in many cases.

I've been living here for 17 years, and I've never noticed the season start in October - some years it snows in october, some years not. Some years it's hot in october, some years not. Bl**dy codswallop! If anyone had an 8 month season, no-one would be left anywhere else. North America has bad snow years too - just not this year. the longest ski seasons in Europe are 5 months basically. (Except for Zermatt).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, (to introduce a measure of cheer, if not calm snowHead ), I've just come back from my third trip this season. 3 days skiing in pila and tha conditions were great. cordurouy pistes, blue skies, sun and bombardinos. OK the lower slopes are getting a bit thin, but they are working hard to keep them open, and SNOW is finally showing up in the forecasts. I know some resorts or having a poor start, but this does not apply to everywhere and certainly not to the higher, north facing slopes. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski wrote:
Because some places have very little or no snow it's really offensive to see posts and hear rumours that there is no snow anywhere.

I wonder if people are so small-minded as to suggest that because they had no snow, nowhere else possibly could either? Perhaps the old saw "misery loves company" is in play here?

I'm not saying that everyone posting or worrying about snow levels thinks this way. It's just another route to potentially understanding the reason someone makes a "the season is over!" post.

Personally, I'm in the "day-on-the-mountain-beats-a-week-in-the-office" set wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also post (occasionally) on a stocks and shares forum (under a different monicker).
Whitegold, reminds of what is termed a "de-ramper" - basically someone who is determined to try to depress the price of a share. In the financial world the motivation is often to enable the de-ramper to buy the share more cheaply. I find it less clear what the motivation is here, but I am getting bored with it.

THIS SEASON'S START IS NOT AS GOOD AS FOR A FEW YEARS BUT IT IS NOT OUT OF THE NORMAL VARIATION. (imho)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L, Very Happy Very Happy AxsMan, TallTone, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Calm he says, be calm........calm whats that? I've got three weeks to go, 2 kids that can't wait to ski and make snowmen, Oh yes - and new boots to try out and my Swiss friend has just told me that the snow that the resort did have 2 weeks ago (30+cm) has melted - all of it....MELTED!! MELTED!!!! Who's in charge of this here snow snuff? - I want words.................. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, On the Positive side, you have 3 weeks to go. Pity those that have had poor or none existant snow. Sad

those that are going to get that from Wednesday, namely me!

Blow the seasonal norms, stat etc.... we all want to ski. People expectations are different, having no snow in village, having to bus elsewhere may seem normal. Puzzled

Moral of the story is:- go high and go later. Or risk it ...... wink

Good luck.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, you've got 3 weeks to go - be calm Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel the snow will arive snowHead snowHead you will be able to try out your new boots Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, Okay, Okay, calmer now. I do feel for you all - and your bank accounts - these trips are not cheap at the best of times. I do hope that you will be able to find a work around once you get there. I was booked into a ski in/out appartment - great with the kids - at the moment its 10C there! - I don't want to have to drive higher any more that any one else does - maybe we ought to all start wishing........WISH, WISH, WISH - well the kids seem to think it works - there might be something in it.....WISH, WISH, WISH
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The author of this thread was seeking calm, and in the spirit of cathy's message to Megamum I have composed a haiku

Snow will come at last

and Snowheads will relax with

a collective sigh Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i hope your all right!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Neat Pam, real neat.....you are clever.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it's snowing here in Glasgow tonight Shocked

If you look at peoples reports from resort there is plenty of snow to be found. Sure, there are some resorts that are suffering but it is still early days. A couple of big dumps and things will be sorted - be positive.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
The author of this thread was seeking calm, and in the spirit of cathy's message to Megamum I have composed a haiku

Snow will come at last

and Snowheads will relax with

a collective sigh Little Angel

Snow. There is some there.
There will be some there later.
Then it will be spring.
snow report
Was in Courchevel 1650 last week. Been there for the past three years in the same week. Without a doubt, the snow conditions were the best out of any of these four years. Very few stones (unlike two years ago when every ridge was littered with stones and all our bases were slashed to bits). New snow two nights (above 1,800 metres) - compared to no new snow the last three years. First opening of the Creux Noir gave us two perfect deep powder runs. Very quiet - apart from Abramovich and his Russian minders in 1850.

And, yes, the last few hundred metres home to 1650 were a bit naff, with scraped hard packed artificial snow and bare patches (getting more every day). But it was all skiable (and fun) - and if you didn't like the look of it you could get the bubble down the last bit.

Our group was 11 skiers - everyone from complete beginners to expert skiers - and we all had a ball. You can either stare at the few bare patches and worry about the weather forecast - or get out there and enjoy it. I recommend the latter. (And I do realise that for lower resorts it can't have been much fun - and the conditions in Courchevel were a bit better than in Meribel).
snow conditions
i believe the snow will come and temps will drop but should i be worried about increased avalanche risks later on in the season we are of to austria in mid-march
this is something i admit to knowing nothing about but would like to know more Puzzled
snow report
I get sick and tired of hearing about people moaning about no snow or the lack of it, YOU paid your money, CHOSE your resort, and took your chance. As we always book our skiing trips early (two couples) We gave up taking the chance of decent snowfall / conditions in Europe some years ago. We only visit the USA and Canada now, and to make it worthwhile we do a two centre, two week holiday. Okay, it is a bit more expensive, but not a lot when you weigh it all up. We LOVE our skiing, and the thought of "no snow" or the lack of it, doesn't bear thinking about. Add to that the level of service, standards of accomodation, and the cost of living whilst there, and surely it's better value (I won't even go into lift line queues, and the idiotic and rude antics of the majority of people in the European ones, which we got fed up with a long time ago). Also, come on be honest, what really gets you exited, a skiing holiday in Europe or the USA / Canada, having a fair amount of experience in each, I don't think theres much comparison.

This season may well be a one off in Europe, but I doubt it, and even if the snow does arrive, the other factors won't change, so think on !!

Anyway, we're off to Colorado in 10 days, where there's plenty of snow, AS USUAL !! Very Happy
snow conditions
Sutts, Well done mate, give yourself a well deserved pat on the back, self rightous twit!
ski holidays
Sutts, I like it over there too (in small doses) but Europe is still king... and it really does sound like you haven't been to the alps for a long long time. North America also has snow droughts (I turned up to a very green/brown Aspen once).
snow conditions
Sutts,

Where have you skied in Europe?

PS I know it's hard to beat the level of service, standard of accomodation etc in Essex but please don't be so hard on Europe.
snow conditions
Sutts, why don't you Be Nice please! off and live there if everything is so much better? I've never had a problem with level of service in Europe. You sound like a mate of mine who thinks that all the French a rude and unhelpful unless they have English as their first language! I've always had a great laugh with the French staff in restaurants, shops and hotels, through understanding there is a language barrier and by making an effort to utilise my limited French. I've been to the US a couple of times (not for skiing though) and have enjoyed myself there as well. But as I don't need their wonderfully high levels of such sincere service when I'm skiing I'm happy to stay in Europe. Yeah, I suppose a big dump of snow over here would be nice, but at least if there's enough then I can have a bit of fun for a week with wife and 4 kids without going bust.
Hope the snow in Colorado is good for you while you're staying in the country that does so much for global warming!

DB,
Quote:
PS I know it's hard to beat the level of service, standard of accomodation etc in Essex but please don't be so hard on Europe.
ROTFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Sutts, I have one word to say to you:

FOOD!

EDIT: I love opinionated posts like that. It encourages debate and often produces a bit of banter. Lets keep it clean, but I do like the "edge" Very Happy
latest report
Horses for courses. I've skied on both continents (and Asia too). One thing I like about the Alps is that by and large the mountains are more spectacular. No pro or con of either continent is sufficient to cut myself off forever from one place or the other. Variety is the spice of life!
snow report
Sutts, I'd agree with Frosty the Snowman and add a second word - JETLAG! Shocked Like you I enjoy US skiing, but 1 week is just long enough to adjust before you fly back Confused

One other point - at least you can DRIVE to the Alps snowHead
snow report
Got to say Sutts had a couple of good points. While I've got a certain amount of sympathy for families who are more restricted in their choice I fail to see why individuals and couples should be griping too much. They can always book quite late where snow is best if that's a priority and if this season that means N America so be it.

Incidentally what is the estimated "knock on" effect on the European ski industry for next winter as people switch their advance bookings to N America or simply decide not to have Xmas/New Year ski holidays?
latest report
fatbob, Huge; i'd say. The echo in Cham' is, forget Xmas and New Year, although the festive season is in itself, fun in town. This is however my first winter without skking around the resort at Xmas. No world cup, again! Warm weather( Freak or Not?)
The real problem is for the businesses, small and large. Margins getting smaller to compete with internet sites, well trained and informed staff being laid off, seasonaires staying away, shorter seasons in which to do the same business. A sign of the times maybe, worring non the less. If indeed it is global warming, surley this will too touch the US of D at sometime. I think it is/has been a wake up call for Europe, but the real point, is the huge contrast between the reported snow in the US and Europe. all being infinate, it wes bound to happen at some point, equally there could be an inversion of this next winter. Will that mean Walt Disney and his characters will be over here next winter? Mother Nature is the only one with those answers.
snow report
I think some people are missing my point. If you plan and book your ski trips early (and with recent years weather patterns in mind), then surely you would pretty much want to guarantee good conditions. This is one of the reasons why we choose to go out west. I would personally leave it until later in Europe, and go where the snow is.

However, European apres-ski is tops!! Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm seriously tempted at the moment to sell my car and book 3 weeks during the summer with the family in Queenstown, NZ. Anyone wanna buy a modded Nissan Skyline GTSt with 100bhp nitrous kit?
ski holidays
Sutts,
Except for the fact that even should you manage to book a holiday in one of the places with tons of snow (Western Canada), you're still buggered by severe gales at Heathrow!! rolling eyes
Just thought I'd continue the depressing nature of this thread (especially as I'm supposed to be flying friday)!!

This time 2 years ago in Whistler we were getting drowned by 45cm of rain a week for 2 or 3 weeks - no snow below mid mountain (in fact much higher at one point!), etc, etc. This time last year getting buried by snow every day of January. So can't tell much from one year to the next

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-01-07 13:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It is a fact that this winter has been very warm and a fact that many lower ski resorts do not have very good conditions. Naturally people will want to talk about it and the weather forecasts. That is discussion and it is on-topic for this forum. Most of the "moaning" I read comes from people who complain about the discussions (and me since I am now also moaning Smile ).
snow report
Quote:

Incidentally what is the estimated "knock on" effect on the European ski industry for next winter as people switch their advance bookings to N America or simply decide not to have Xmas/New Year ski holidays?

fatbob That's a good point - I think that the Xmas/New Year period is really going to suffer next year and possibly beyond if the snowfall pattern is repeated. I also feel that advanced bookings (outside the school holidays) may also be down as people wait to see where the snow is good.

Sutts, You made a valid point but remember not everyone is as flexible as you, there are many of us with families that are stuck to school holidays with all the extra expense that entails.

snowHead
snow report
imo a winter holiday is just that
went to grindlewald a fews years ago for a long weekend when we got there it was v warm and the snow had all but dissapeared low down and was very wet and slusshy higher up
as we were newbies and thought the skiing would be too hard we were devestated at the thought of no skiing,this was my 2nd trip but my wife and kids first
so we thought lets make the most of being in the mountians anyway
first we hired toboggans went up on the train and sledged all the way down (twice) great fun
then long lunch watching paragliders come down to the valley "wow"
next day we went hiking and just playing in the snow with the kids and a bit of sunbathing on the hotel terrace
on the last day it had snowed overnight and there was just enough cover on the village nursery slope to have a go on,so hired skis for the morning(no lift pass required)and spent a great morning messing about
so did this put us off skiing "no way" we had a great time, the mountain views were just awesome ,the food was great, the skies were blue and we were hooked for life
since then we have been skiing every year and have been r"£ned off/had to much snow/not enough snow/been to cold to ski/been to hot to ski/fogged off/skied on fresh powder on a bluebird day/basicaly had everything thrown at us that mother nature has to offer
and i can honestly say i have never had a bad winter holiday, so stay positive whatever the weather and make the most of your holiday Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
Neilski, On the nose son, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Another hobby of mine when it's raining is to go in the ski shops and spend money - even if it's bad this year when I go I'll mkae sure to buy things like more gloves, wax, maybe boots for the Mrs - everything that we need to have an enjoyable day at XScape when we get back!
ski holidays
petemillis, I'll put you and the missus up here for the next few weeks then. Twisted Evil
latest report
Blimey it's all kicked off on here !! I have to say that i do agree with the crux of what Sutts, is saying. That is that everyone here spends alot of time ,effort and money planning their sking trips, which due to the nature of the beast can only be taken in a finite time period. Surely then you would want the odds as much in your favour as possible. Apart from some 'snow sure' high altitude resorts, Europe is becoming more and more a gamble to book a long time in advance. If you can, leave it later and follow the snow. As for families/kids etc, if you are narrowing down your odds even further by going only at half term, surely you give yourself the best chance and for me, price not withstanding, means the US or Canada.
Sking is one huge expensive gamble. You wouldn't take the same risks with your summer sun holiday if you wanted 'guaranteed' wall to wall sunshine.
Everyone has there own favourite European resorts but i agree with Sutts, as an overall package it's over the pond every time snowHead
snow report
excitableboy,
Quote:
You wouldn't take the same risks with your summer sun holiday if you wanted 'guaranteed' wall to wall sunshine.
So where can we afford to go for guaranteed wall to wall sunshine. We've done sunny holidays in Spain, Tenerife, Greece and the good ol' US of D and at times there have been clouds in the sky and rain. We could have been in Australia a few weeks ago fro some winter sun - good job we weren't as they had some snow!
Quote:
Everyone has there own favourite European resorts but i agree with Sutts, as an overall package it's over the pond every time snowHead
Ahhh, but you would do as you're Sutts' friend Laughing Birds of a feather and all...
snow conditions
excitableboy, can you say which particular half terms have been ruined by lack of snow in the Alps? I can't think that you have February in mind. For that matter I've had plenty of December and April Alpine ski trips, usually booked some way in advance, and mostly in low-ish resorts. I've skied every single day of those, morning and afternoon, albeit I've occasionally gone on day trips to other resorts for a bit of variety.
ski holidays
Well the knives seem to be out now Shocked
laundryman,
Quote:

excitableboy, can you say which particular half terms have been ruined by lack of snow in the Alps? I can't think that you have February in mind.

What i said was that, as this thread proves, due to the increasing unreliability of snow conditions pre booking is BECOMING more and more of a gamble. Then only being able to go in half term limits your choice further, you've never had problems - good for you ,but the way things are going i would suggest half term this year should be interesting depending on where people choose. The 'general' points i was making seem valid based on some of the recent tales of woe, particularly on this thread. You don't agree, you've never experienced bad condtions and skied 'every single day ', 'morning and afternoon' December, February and April then you're very fortunate, but as my post was concerning how conditions are BECOMING more unreliable you may find that changes in the future Sad

petemillis,
Quote:

Ahhh, but you would do as you're Sutts' friend Birds of a feather and all...

You're absolutely right i have no mind of my own and completely agree with everything he ever says rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy