Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help - desperately needed with Austria

Poster: A snowHead
minicat, Look again at my posting from yesterday
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Elizabeth B and Byron
Thanks for your help I trid this site and there is no availabillity!

Back to the drawing board I guess Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Their email address is welcome@europasportregion.info

You may find that the Friday night is the sticking point, as it is one of the UK 1/2 term weeks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi
Yes I thought that but I booked the flights 'cos it is my son's 21st!!
Are there any resorts that are more likely to have something please
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
minicat, are you flying out Friday evening? If so, you may get 1 night in Salzburg and the travel to resort 1st thing Sat???

I wouldn't stress too much. Something will turn up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
minicat, For some background info and a list of ski resorts in Salzburg look at:
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Salzburg.html
For example, Obertauern is 1 hour from Salzburg, and the website is showing accommodation available for the duration of the trip. See: http://www.obertauern.com/.
I've suggested Obertaurn as it's a high resort (1750 valley), and one of the most snowsure resort near Salzburg.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No flying out 6.00am!!

I don,t mind staying in a resort that's not buzzing as long as good beginners skiing and short transfers (must have a few bars and restaurants though)! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what is Kirchdorf like - does anyone know please
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure about Kirchdorf....I'd never heard of it. But looking it up in "Where to ski and snowboard" it does exist!! It lists it as an attractive village a short bus ride away from St Johann in Tyrol (St Johann is nice!!)

Hope someone else can give you a 1st hand answer
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never been there myself but earlier in the thread I posted a link to this big picture. I don't know what the skiing's like there but it could be handy as a base for accessing other areas if you can't get booked in the resorts themselves.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Fenlandskier but as beginners we ideally want somwhere with good beginner slope on the doorstep and that would probably do us!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
minicat,

Kirchdorf is a little village with a very small slope of its own...although it might be entertaining for early skiers for a day or two if the snow is there. You will probably bus to Steinplazt or St Johann about 30 mins away IIRC. Also Feberbrunn is another option.

The village is quiet and I can't remember the hotels, kids would probably be bored. A trip into St Johann would be a good evening out but you'd need your own transport I would have thought.

I think Snowcoach used to go there but they are the only TO AFAIK
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Other resorts near Salzburg include several in the Gastein valley - Bad Hofgastein, Bad Gastein, Dorfgastein etc, with Bad Gastein being the furthest away at around 1hr 30. But a bit closer to Salzburg and a more snow sure resort would be Obertauern. If they have availablity I'd go for it, particularly as it's higher altitude and most nursery slopes tend to be at valley level.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks JT I think I will forget Kirchdorf after your help. Hayls I will check out that area - thanks a lot
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
did you look at filzmoos their website flzmoos.at shows accomadation available. further up the vally is rohrmoos/schladming also good for beginers. if your looking at obertauren try hotel weisenegg they do short stays.its a bit out of the village but ski school picks you up in a mini bus.also there are lots of taxis around all very reasonable
ski holidays
minicat, JT's suggestion of Fieberbrunn is a good idea for beginners. I've been there twice as an adult with a school group, and the village is actually pretty lively. The nursery slopes are right in the village, with a fun igloo bar in a perfect spot at the bottom of the slopes, which is where the apres ski kicks off. There are a lot of blue runs to progress onto, and there's an excellent permanent long toboggan run open till late at night, ice skating rink etc.

The only thing is the snow this season, like lots of places it's not wonderful at the moment, but Feb 23rd is a long time away.
snow report
Obertauren have availabillty!! Thanks tqd - what is it like looks very quiet?

Thanks Rachel I will look at this too
snow conditions
Hi Rachel
No availabillity in Fieberbrunn! shame sounded cool, thanks anyway
snow report
hi minicat we were in obertauren ovr new year and had a fantastic time.admittedly there is not a lot for non skiers to do through the day but hey you will be in ski school.the apres ski was very lively starting when you come off the slopes till6.30pm. time for dinner then if you have the energy back out....there were plenty of bars and places to eat. which accom are you looking at? cos if you do get a choise center of the village does make life eaisier.although as i mentioned we stayed a bit out and would use it again
snow conditions
Obertraun offer is now no good!

Far too quite and very very expensive deal - oh well I will keep searching, I will need a break after all this!!
ski holidays
minicat, the following link shows Austria and when selected will show ski resorts - just run the mouse over them for the names.

http://www.feratel.com/karte.jsp
ski holidays
minicat, The Obertauren website has several places with availability during your dates. Have you not been able to find anything?
snow report
minicat,
Obertraun and Obertauern are different places by the way.
snow report
minicat, Try here http://www.seerose-obertraun.com/ - short transfer from Salzburg, they pick you up for full week stays, but check with them for short break transfers. They are English! snowHead
ski holidays
they are the ones that are really expnsive and too quiet location but thanks anyway
ski holidays
still struggling!
every hotel has vacancies from the 24th - Has anyone been to Altenmarkt there seems to be some availabilliy here

thanks a million
snow report
minicat,

Not been there but it looks good from the TO blurb...

http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/view/?ObjectID=294004&Template=More

You will not be concerned with the large skiing area and snow should be high season at the time you are going.
On the site I have given you, drill down to User ratings and get a feel of the place.
I would think Apre-ski would start just off the slopes like it does in most Austrian resorts.
latest report
minicat,
I Haven't stayed in Altenmarkt but have droven through it a couple of times it is a an attractive samall town that seemed quite lively the skiing just local to the town is very low and if the bad conditions persist you may be unlucky. A short distance away though is Zauchensee with a more reliable area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks will try Zauchansee/Altenmarkt
can any one recommend any sites for hotels for here please
snow conditions
minicat, seems to be a good choice, I have skied all the resorts near Altenmarkt (Flachau, Flachauwinkl, Zauchensee, Wagrain), but I missed Altenmarkt. These resorts are easily accessible by bus, especially Zauchensee and Flachau.

flangesax lives there
another previous thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=496532
ski holidays
You could try the Ski Amade site: http://holiday.skiamade.com/enquiry/ You put in your criteria and the region you are interested in and within a day or two the offers start flooding in to your e-mail address. I have used it and found it very effective.
snow report
thanks will give that a try
snow report
minicat, Lofer is good and friendly as mentioned previously.

we stayed here link to Haus Patricia

this is the view from the room (click to enlarge)

English couple, 5 min walk to lift. If she is full she will make some suggestions. Also will arrange transfers from airport (30 mins)

Enjoy.
ski holidays
Thanyou but I tried Haus Patricia - full!
Lofer was favourite but nothing available
does anyone want to buy 4 flights!! Laughing
snow report
minicat, http://www.sleepinginairports.net/ wink

Have you tried getting one night in Salzburg? I know it would be a faff....but you could dump your bags, go to somewhere liker Lofer or Zell, return that evening for 1 night and then move to resort on Sat.
latest report
Try http://www.hirners.com/cities/AT.htm If you do a search for cheapest accom...it is coming up with some availability....

(disclaimer: never used the site....just found it on google)
latest report
Thanyou but I tried Haus Patricia - full!
Lofer was favourite but nothing available
does anyone want to buy 4 flights!! Laughing
ski holidays
minicat,

E-mail these
http://www.pension-norika.at/winteren.htm Sallbach

http://cc.arcotel.at/document.asp?id=1254 Bad Gastein

or this page and then contact direct as they are offering flights

http://www.europeanskiweekends.co.uk/

or put your deatils in here

http://www.saalbach.com/620.0.html?L=1

Sorry if you know all this
latest report
thanks jt will try these
the ski amade one has brought back 2 offers but they are in the middle of nowhere!!
snow conditions
I've never been but I understand Maria Alm is good for beginners & near Salzburg. The website is www.hochkoenig.at.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy