Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help - desperately needed with Austria

Poster: A snowHead
hi
new to this so hi to you all Little Angel

In a moment of madness I booked 4 flights to salzburg for me, hubby and two kids ( 19 & 21)!

I have booked 3 nights from 23rd Feb and havent got a clue where to stay!!

None of us have skied before and it is my sons 21st on the 22nd.

Obviously don't want a long transfer as only short break

i know I am crazy but can any one help with resort/accomodation suggestions, transfers ski passes etc.

Reckon I may have to sell the flights at this rate!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
minicat, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks just hope someone can help!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure what it's like from Salzburg....but I'm always happy to recommend Zell am See. Beautiful town with good skiing, and is beginner friendly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry...being really thick and confusing Innsbruck and Salzburg.

Definitely look at Zell am See. It's an easy train ride away from Salzburg and has lots of stuff to make it a pleasant place even without skiing.

Check out http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22472 and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11074&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for that but am more jittery about accomodation as seems to be a busy time can any recommend anywhere good to stay for skiers and non skiers ( in case were rubbish!) Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.tiscover.at/ has a room search facility, I'd also suggest emailing the local tourist board as well. If you put a few searches in for different resorts it should give you some good options.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decide on a resort and then as FenlandSkier says, get in touch with the local tourist office. Zell am See and Saalbach both have an excellent room finder service (others probably do as well, they're just the two I've used) and are happy to exchange emails in English!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
minicat, the local tourist office will probably be able to fix you up some private lessons en famille, too. It sounds a great idea.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
minicat, don't panic about it, you have loads of time to sort this.

People on here are always arranging weekends or short breaks.

That said, the 23rd is the Friday of the second of the UK half term weeks so things may be busy that time. You may find that hotels are less inclined to let you book the weekend while they think that there is a chance that the can book the whole week. It may be only nearer the time that they will accept that they can't fill the rooms.

There are lots of resorts near Salzburg. will you have your own transport or will you use public transport. A lot of resorts have a bus shuttle service from Salzburg, so you may not need a car (but car is probably quickest).

Two other alternatives are Schladming (easy train or easy drive), Soll (easy drive).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For your 1st time I 'll also go for Zell am See.
50 mins transfere from Salzburg airport.
Try www.airport-express.at
45 euros return
I'v used them a few times with no probs.
for accomodation go to www.europasportregion.info
and you will find all types ,from 5* hotels to youth hostels.
I know pension Hubertus does 3 night stays.
tel..+43(0)6542/72427
e-mail 3sterne@hubertus-pension.at
or......www.hubertus-pension.at
I don know anything about this hotel, but a friend of mine booked the same days as you want yesterday.
I'm also in Zell at that time.
Good luck with your search Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Byron Gates, what dates are you in Zell? I'm there 17th-23rd Feb snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
minicat,
There are a lot of resorts within easy reach of Salzburg and I am sure you will be able to find somewhere even if you are unlucky with the ones mentioned above. Virtually all will have slopes suitable for beginners and most Austrian resorts are pleasant places to have a few days in even if skiing is not your thing.

One thing I would suggest is that as soon as you get a resort sorted book a private instructor for your family as for a short period group lessons may not be ideal. I would also suggest asking the ski school what lift pass to get as many resorts offer different passes for different areas and being a beginner you are unlikly to use the full area.

When you arrive at the resort I would look at renting skis and boots somewhere near the bottom of the lifts where you can leave your equipment so you don't have to walk carrying your skis around.

Good Luck it's great fun snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rohrmoos (schladming) is a nice place for beginners and plenty of b&b - don't panic austrian resorts have lots of little b&bs and things, you'll get in somewhere. I have flight for a similar weekend to salzburg the week before and don't intend to book accomodation for a couple of weeks yet.

I've also been looking at obertauern, dorfgastein, maria alm and flachau. St johann in tirol looks nice (if small) and for big resorts you have saalbach, zell, ellmau and many more!

Breathe - do some searches on here for salzburg and see what appeals - you couldn't have picked an easier airport for your first diy trip Very Happy

aj xx
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a.j., you may find this map showing the rough layout of the Skiwelt, Kitzbuhel etc of interest http://www.skiwelt.at/UserFiles/skiwelt/SkiWelt/Panorama/KitzbuehelerAlpen_Gross.jpg
latest report
minicat, You could try LOFER, which is a very friendly small resort only 40 minutes drive from Salzburg, and the local tourist office would give you a list of hotels in the village. You can also find information about Lofer on the internet. It is a good place for beginners. I went there many years ago (as a child) when there were no lifts even (!)--but on a recent visit I fell in love with the place--stayed in a ski-in ski-out hotel on the mountain. For you it may be better to stay in the village tough, the ski school and nursery slopes are right there. I am sure you will become skiaddicts! Very Happy
ski holidays
minicat, you are not late. I am planning to go to Austria at the same time with you and I have not even booked anything yet. To tell you the truth I have no idea where to go as I check the snow report every day. There is plenty of very good ski resorts around Salzburg, anyone will do after the first huge snow fall.
I have booked accomodation in Austria on the internet for 5 years, and never had any problem.
Since you have never skied before, I suggest that you should pick a small, not too crowded resort with good beginner slopes.
snow report
phew I feel more sane now!

Thanks a lot will look at Lofer and Zell today have these both got bars etc as it is my lads 21st. Have been offered B & B plus transfers by someone from ebay but my husband is dubious incase we get there and no one meets us anyone heard of this before?

Thanks again

Also what gear shall I buy please
snow conditions
minicat, I buy a lot on ebay, but i think I would be wary about that.

This thread gives you an idea on the gear to get http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow conditions
minicat, everywhere in Austria has bars!!! The Austrians know how to party, and will start before the lifts shut. You will still see people in their ski gear (including boots) dancing away in the small hours.

Fear not!!
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Im in Zell from the 14th Feb with my wife ,2 sons and their wives,and three grandchildren.
How many kids in your group?
ski holidays
I'm going with a school group so 80 (although that number may include staff!!)
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Looking after my two boys was bad enough, but 80 kids , thats scary. Puzzled
ski holidays
minicat, check out www.pensionchristoph.at. It's located in Westendorf. Haven't visited personally but it has been recommended to me. Links from the site to Westendorf and kitzbuhl areas. The old part of town looks great and i think a few snowheads have fond memories of the area. Ok for learners/beginners. Smile Smile Smile
snow conditions
i reccommend saalbach wholeheartedly.

your kids would love it - im 24 and just come back from a week there. the apres is awesome and has places for younger families, older families and just young people, so whatever you wanted to do in the evening youd be catered for.

LOADS of slopes and great skiing. plenty of nice blues and reds that you can make as easy or hard as you wanted!
ski holidays
minicat, Westendorf looked to me (from a day there last season) like a great spot for beginners, although I think that the lift is a little way out of town; there may be ski lockers at the lift which will make life easier. The mountain is pretty and has some good restaurants, I didn't see the town. You might find yourselves taking the lift down at the end of the day as the bottom run is not the easiest and is busy at the end of the day, but that's OK (I'm a big fan of relaxing in a gondola after a day's skiing, planning the apres and dinner, while the masses toil down a busy, icy, road.).

The local tourist boards will help you with accommodation, very efficiently in my experience.
latest report
Hi my 'kids'! are 19 and 21

I am worried that some of your suggestions may have long transfers from Salzburg as we are only going for a long weekend we don't want to travel miles from airport
latest report
Zell am See would be good for both skiers and non-skiers. It is a reasonable sized town so there are a number of non-skiing activities and plenty of apres ski. It is about 1 hr 15mins by bus from Salzburg airport, a bit less by car. Saalbach is another 15 minutes down the road. Both are a fairly straighforward transfer and would be fine for a 3 day trip.

Saalbach offers better skiing IMV than Zell but as you are all beginners on a short trip then it would be difficult to take full advantage of the skiing area. Zell should also have a wider choice of accommodation. I think a few Snowheads have found it tricky to get short term accommodation in Saalbach this season.

Soll would also be a good place to start and it has a bit more nightlife than Westendorf and Ellmau. The transfer time is about the same as Zell am See from Salzburg.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
have you looked at filzmoos super small village only a 40min transfer from salzbugh. you can get private taxi for 100euros or airport transfer for 38euros each.nursery slopes located in village center.its very pretty and has a mega toboggin run from top of chair lift. not a huge ski area only 8 lifts perfect for first time we go once a year just for 3/4 nights. if you land am in salzbugh you can be skiing by dinner time. plenty of good hotels/b&bs (Eg alpen wurzer hotel) 54eurospppn half board
snow report
thanks will also look at filzmoos
ski holidays
minicat, I have just put a brand new skijacket and trousers on the "Buy and Sell" thread in Apres Zone--size medium--have a look there-- and I can send you photos -
and here is the website for Lofer--it is a charming place--and the skischool is very helpful, I am sure you could get an English speaking instructor for the three days --you can book it ahead. Last January we were there, the hotel arranged pick up from the airport, but on another occasion we just took a taxi which was not expensive either.
http://www.ski-lofer.at/en/winter/index.asp
snow report
minicat, would definately recommend Zell its beautiful and good for beginners, transfer is easy by train or hire a car. Book a private instructor before you go though as it is a busy time, it would be a complete disaster for a whole family to go ski-ing for the first time and not get an instructor!!
As for gear, we borrowed some for our first trip as its an awful lot of money to spend if you don't like it and never go again! having said that you will probably love it! I was dreading it, pretty certain I would hate it, and wouldn't be able to do it!! ( I had as much fear of the going up as well as coming down!) but I love it, still a nervous novice and probably always will be, but its great!! Very Happy
As RayZorro says you will probably have more chance with accom nearer the time, we have flights booked in March for a weekend and no accom yet? Good luck snowHead
latest report
minicat, didnt mean to be disparaging towards your "kids"! my mums friends still call me and my sis her kids and we're 24 and 21!

reason i suggest saalbach (other than the fact that i love it!) is that there are plenty of places you can all go together, and plenty of places that theyd have an awesome time at on their own in the evening. everyone always so friendly, especially the scandinavians! if you go there, tell them to try out underbar and castellos. as a family you might like bobbys for a night out!
latest report
oh, and the transfer is between an hour and an hour and a half, depending on how many stops.
snow report
its ok marctimms I always call them kids too! (which they hate) Smile

not having much luck finding a place in Lofer any suggestions please?
snow report
julieanne where did you stay in Lofer please
latest report
minicat,

Stick with Zell am Zee until you have run out of options for accomodation. My friends take families there and they love it.
snow report
ok JT will focus on there for now!
can anyone recommend a pension please
latest report
minicat, not the state one. Very Happy
snow report
minicat, check out http://www.europasportregion.info/en/winter.html

If you click on accommodation then put in your dates.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy