Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching straight to parallel turns

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sparticus...

Sparticus

Sparticus....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, hopefully not labouring the point but I think we've tried to emphasise here that the snowplough should NOT be seen as "a way of stopping". I accept that beginners are a touch obsessive about "how do I stop" - but this is a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE which you must strive to rid yourself of. Get into the "how do I go" groove and all will be well. Toofy Grin

For beginners the snowplough is a means of controlling speed and direction at slow speeds. It will stop you on very gentle slopes, but that is not its primary purpose.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Yoda, I think the point is well made that beginners are a touch obsesive about stopping - but when you learn past the age at which you can throw caution to the four winds without the assistance of 4 glasses of wine it does tend to be a natural reaction to the concept of hurling yourself down a steep steep slope with 2 planks of wood attached to your feet.

I think observation of other more advanced skiers on the slopes shows that only novices rely on a snowplough to apply the breaks, but when you start out it IS presented as the first viable way of coming to a halt. It wasn't until I started onto the parallel turns that my instructor started to encourage me to check that I had no-one close and then to halt by turning the skis across the slope - I guess the first stage of starting to learn a 'hockey style' stop? Me, well I can't wait to find this "how do I go" groove, I think then all my problems will be solved. Maybe I need a short course of hypnotherapy......or of course there are those 4 glasses of wine...........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just started skiing this weekend and I like the confidence that the snowplough gives me, might not be an ideal way to stop but at the speeds I,m skiing now it is enough and it is a reliable way to control my speed, without panicking...

I must admit that my instructor tried to teach me paralell turns in the third day and I struggled a bit because of the snowplough turns learned before... We also did traversing, fairly competent on that...

Next two free days I'll be freeskiing to try to work on the techniques learnt, afterwards some more private lessons, intercalated wirth freeskiing... I didn't learn to walk in one day, I'm trying to build my skiing abilities on strong basics...

Pedro
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kamikaze,
I'm no instructor (partly because I couldn't bring myself to do snowploughs on a powder day when mrsH did her cert, mostly because I'd be rubbish at it!!), however a vast amount of coaching has been wasted on me and one of the pearls passed down by an ex-WC skier coach was to get us to do snowploughs for a bit, then to observe that the only difference between that and a pure carved turn was picking up the inside ski and turning it round a bit.
When I started I couldn't do a snowplough to save my life (probably literally) so I had to resort to hockey stops, which I worked out could be adapted to turns, hence avoided the need for snowploughs for several years - hurrah! . Since then I worked out that it was both a useful technique to have in the bag and good practice so have persevered to get my bandy legs to do them.

'Skiing' A-Line at Whistler is an exercise in where a snowplough is invaluable (anyone who's been down it will know what I mean - it's a well known run, but not normally for skiing!) Shocked wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing

My speech to my clients upon entering the A line goes something like....

".... and use ANY means available to you to keep your speed under control (else you'll end up in the creek or ditch or airborne), remember, there is no shame in using a snowplough....... Laughing "

So far this season, the A line is out of bounds...... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting to see this old thread of mine dissapear. Agree totally that a snow-plough has its uses, from narrow trails, lift lines or going slowly whilst reading a piste map. I was never advocating not teaching it to somebody. My main suggestion/comment for debate was teaching someone to turn parallel first, rather than spending the x days of ski school learning to turn via snowplough/stem turns. Once somebody has gained confidence, a feeling moving/balancing on skis, speed control/stopping and a vague feel for what edges do, then teaching a snow-plough afterwards isn't very hard.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, that's not very different from the ski evolutif that ESF were teaching in les Arcs in the 80s. I dunno, what with this and the reappearance of rear-entry boots I expect everyone'll be in Nana Mouskouri specs and flares soon, and skiiing on 110s.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try teaching a nervous first time skier parallel turns before they learn the snowplough then let me know how you get on!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy