Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton situation (Winter Resumed)

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

As for Graham not being allowed to teach, I believe that in St Anton you must be a member of either the Arlberg or St Anton ski schools to teach.

Snoworks (Phil Smith) certainly teach, they do 2 weeks Backcountry, the last 2 weeks of Jan, and have done so for the last few years. They also use Guides from the Alberg ski School to complement the teaching days, so they must have some sort of arrangement that allows them to do this.?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B00thy wrote:
I believe I said he was a Berg and Schifuherer. Essentially, in addition to being a schifuherer he studied ski mounaineering with the Bergfuherers.

On the point of Graham, there is no doubt about his qualifications. I do not believe the same can be said for the skiing qualifications of Bergfuherers in general, who can, once they have passed the trainee ski instructor test, go on to study for bergfuherer without necessarily being good skiers.

As for Graham not being allowed to teach, I believe that in St Anton you must be a member of either the Arlberg or St Anton ski schools to teach.

There is soon to be at least once court case as on XMAS day two guys were given summons, charged with teaching whilst not being a member of a ski school.

But this is leading to a completely different thread isn't it?

Sorry I asked now, just thought we might of been friends with the same people and would of pulled his leg about his snow forecast if the snow didn't arrive. My bad, perhaps I should of sent you a PM instead.

I can see both sides of the argument and you're right it's a different discussion.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just got back

snow was very average and st anton was too crowded hence chopping the snow up too much in my opinion.

Rendl was the best place to ski, empty and nice snow. also Lech, Zurs were good too.

A good holiday, but snow was a bit poor. fingers crossed for rest of season.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
likewise also back from St. Anton, tried to upload some photies to snowMedia zone taken yesterday but not liking it..

At resort level there's no snow on the streets, can walk around in trainers with no issue. The slopes down from the KK & Mwirt are shocking, very patchy and brown. Higher up it gets better but having not really snowed for close to two weeks, it's definately looking thin in places. lot's of hard packed pistes in the morning then warming up by lunchtime and getting slushy. Friday lots of runs were closed as too windy despite a light dusting of snow.

Lech is looking better with all the main runs open. the itineraries off the top off Steinmahder (63 & 45) still fun but not exactly 'off-piste'. White circle was open - run down to Zug was ok but horribly icy in patches.

Still had a fun holiday however...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best time to Ski is first lifts 08:30 on the hard packed pistes Very Happy

They have done a great job on the main Piste to town (KK-Moose) considering it the MOST used, the warm temps & lack of snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm taking a break from St Anton at the mo', going back on Friday. I skied every day but two since 22 December and there was always some good times to be had, on and off the slopes. So don't be deterred. As stanton says, start early (and, if I might add, lunch late!)

I'll be back skiing on Friday afternoon - no doubt in deep powder under blue skies Laughing snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
B00thy,
As stanton says, start early (and, if I might add, lunch late!)

Start early , finish early 08:30--11:30 . 3hrs non-stop, hard skiing without the crowds is plenty enough for a day. Find a Terrace and relax the rest of the day Very Happy Why bother with the crowds Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the website forecast suggests rain for 3 days at the end of the week. Skullie Hope it gets colder
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
on the point of piste to powder,I have seen their advert and heard just a little,are they a worthwhile outfit to ski with ie taking a days guiding ect,as i have found in the past not all private guiding setups are 100 p/c in fact some notworthy atall.
usually do some homework in resort but as you seem to have some kind of experience pray tell, thanks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shorty wrote:
on the point of piste to powder,I have seen their advert and heard just a little,are they a worthwhile outfit to ski with ie taking a days guiding ect,as i have found in the past not all private guiding setups are 100 p/c in fact some notworthy atall.
usually do some homework in resort but as you seem to have some kind of experience pray tell, thanks.

Would also be grateful for comments on piste to powder as fancied doign a one day introductory course if thereis snow
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi. I've just discovered this site in my desperate search for some positive news on the snow conditions in St. Anton (great forum by the way). I'm off on Saturday for four days skiing and I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother going.

Does anybody have any up to date ideas on the forcast. I gather it is getting colder from Sunday, but still not much snow?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jcosh, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
Keep an eye on various threads for information, and Admin has been there this week and he did ski !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jcosh, I was there last week and there was plenty of good skiing to be had - don't even think about cancelling. Runs to resort have bare patches and are slushy later in the day but higher up you'll find decent packed pistes. Head to Rendl to keep away from the crowds, and make sure you go to Lech for a day - they have the best snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jcosh wrote:
Hi. I've just discovered this site in my desperate search for some positive news on the snow conditions in St. Anton (great forum by the way). I'm off on Saturday for four days skiing and I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother going.

Does anybody have any up to date ideas on the forcast. I gather it is getting colder from Sunday, but still not much snow?

Look on the St anton website webcams. They look pretty good. While I suspect conditions could be better and that resort runs will probably not be runs you'd ski for pleasure I suspect there is enough open to be fun. I'd swap for a week in work www.stantonamarlberg.com is the website and look at the webcams.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jcosh, just DO NOT BELIEVE THE SCAREMONGERS. The snow, whilst not ideal, is good enough to ski for a few days. Sure there are patches of brown, slush in the afternoon etc. But for 4 days, you'll get more fun out of skiing than pottering around at home.

I've been out in St Anton for most of the season and skied all but a couple of days. I'm on 'holiday' in the UK this week but a mate of mine skied reasonable (considering) off-piste above Stuben yesterday.

So don't worry, be happy with your trip Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 16-01-07 13:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads Jcosh,
St Anton has a huge range and everything from about half way up the Galzigbahn to the top is in fine condition. Make sure you ski over Stuben way and get the free bus up to Zurs as the Runs there are just great. Get back before the St Anton lifts shut to ski home or you'll need to use the paid 'post bus' service to get home (about 4€). BTW. the free buses are blue, the postbuses are yellow.

To put it in context: Overall, last week was astonishingly like Spring conditions, so great skiing mostly. It's just a shame that at this end of the season there's much less snow built up on the piste so, while in the Spring the lowest slopes into town might consist of deep slush, at the moment they're breaking up a bit.

Don't even think about cancelling a trip to St Anton!
snow report
B00thy wrote:
dan100, just DO NOT BELIEVE THE SCAREMONGERS. The snow, whilst not ideal, is good enough to ski for a few days. Sure there are patches of brown, slush in the afternoon etc. But for 4 days, you'll get more fun out of skiing than pottering around at home.

I've been out in St Anton for most of the season and skied all but a couple of days. I'm on 'holiday' in the UK this week but a mate of mine skied reasonable (considering) off-piste above Stuben yesterday.

So don't worry, be happy with your trip Laughing

I thought I was being the positive one Puzzled
snow conditions
Whoops! Sorry dan100. Meant for Jcosh
snow report
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it is not as bad as some resorts.

I'm familiar with Lech and Zurs and it seems that skiing in Zurs is pretty good - all things considered.
snow conditions
yeh id spend a day at rendl, couple at zurs/lech and maybe if snow is better one in st anton. 4 days ul have a great time
snow conditions
Scaremonger here!

I agree that virtually all pistes are open & are very skiable.

But for me & many,many others who frequent reguarly we do not go to Arlberg to ski pistes :(except to get home).

This im afraid is where St Anton management is taken a wrong turn in the last few years starting to Piste over alot of the offpiste areas just like Ischgl done through the 80,s & 90,s. They Plan to piste over alot more as well by 2010.

At the moment with the current base & sever lack of snowfall its is disaster year for Off-Pisters Sad

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING:
snow report
Agreed Stanton, but don't you agree that with the paucity of snow this season that they have done wonders in providing relativly decent skiing, which is what they needed to do to keep providing a living

I welcome a discussion re

stanton wrote:

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING:

But doesn't it warrant you opening another thread?
snow report
Boothy

Yes they have done a fantastic job for the On-pisters & for folk who need to get to the on hill bars fast Very Happy

I remember a few seasons ago (Pre New Moosewirt) the owner used to give a few schillings to the Grooming guys to spread some snow down to his place so as skiers could get there. However, no snow was put down after the Moose to get you back to the main piste when leaving, LOL Very Happy

St Anton has had snowmaking for 20 years. It only takes 3 days (non-stop) to laydown the Pistes when the temp is cool. The biggest investment they made recently (last season) was a new pumping station. The water is Free straight from the river ,the greatest cost is the energ but St Anton is now self sufficent in energy thanks to the new Hydro Plant high above Rendl (You will see if You go Off-Piste) http://www.ewa-gmbh.at/index.html .

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING I have discussed a number of times a couple of years back. IN the Off Season I,ll get back onto it unless you want to give it a go.

I mentioned 2010. This is when the Rendl link to Kappl is due to happen.

There is also a wild dream from Ischgl to build a 8km Train tunnel to link into St Anton am Arlberg Station. I reckon that would realise around 2050 !!
The plan is basically to get customers direct to Ischgl instead of them having to shuttle/drive up the Silvretta Valley.
snow conditions
Webcams suggest clouding over but the forecast seems to be for rain Sad Guess at nighttime this is likely to turn to snow Smile
snow report
Today it was raining almost the whole day at the town. In the morning it was snowing very lightly in Galzig, and sometimes rain, sometimes snow in Gampen. By mid day the upper lifts were all closed due to wind.
Right now it is raining moderately in St. Anton, hopefully snow in the upper parts, but probably the lower runs will be very bad, because they allready were quite slushy, and after all this rain....
I hope we find some fresh snow tomorrow morning in the upper slopes, although the forecast suggests strong winds for tomorrow, so probably they will have again many lifts closed. And tomorrow will be my last day, so not sure i´ll be able to feel fresh snow for this trip Sad
But if i´m lucky i might be back in about 10 days, maybe with better snow this time. Very Happy
snow report
Heavy rain today, will wash away alot of snow. Sad

HEAVY SNOWFALL expected SUNDAY Very Happy
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Heavy rain today, will wash away alot of snow. Sad

HEAVY SNOWFALL expected SUNDAY Very Happy

Snow levels have dropped low down. gone up slightly at the top. Tourist office weather forecast not as positive but fingees crossed
snow conditions
Is there anybody in St.Anton now that can update on the conditions at the moment and what is expected over the next few days. I am due to arrive there tomorrow for a few days skiing and I'm still wondering whether to say at home.

Many thanks for any info.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jcosh, Have a look at the 4 post above yours and you will have your questions answered.
ski holidays
Jcosh wrote:
Is there anybody in St.Anton now that can update on the conditions at the moment and what is expected over the next few days. I am due to arrive there tomorrow for a few days skiing and I'm still wondering whether to say at home.

Many thanks for any info.

The resort's website says there's a metre of snow on the mountain. I guess looking at the webcams the runs in to village have taken a hammering. Stanton says is going to snow. May I suggest staying at home is a no brainer. Get happy I've got 2 months to wait Sad
ski holidays
It´s been raining the whole day here. It still is. Sometimes hard. Temperatures quite high. The resort website says they had 10 new cm already by this morning. Probably more during the day. Problem is probably quite high only. The runs to town are almost completely green now. I don´t think there will be skiing tomorrow down to town. Today, only the Galzig Bahn was open, and probably just so they don´t have to give back the money from allready sold passes. It looks like it will get quite cold in the next few days, so if it really snowed on the higher runs, they might be able to fix the lower runs with artificial snow within the next few days. What i don´t see is the forecast for heavy snowfall on Sunday that stanton suggests. I have checked j2ski.com and metcheck and they both forecast about 4 cm on sunday. Starting on the 23, they expect a few days of snow. Not any really big dump, but probably with that and the snow canons they´ll get things back on track. Smile
ski holidays
Trust me . Snow on Sunday Very Happy
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Trust me . Snow on Sunday Very Happy

I really hope you are right.
ski holidays
Like stanton says, everyone is talking up Sunday

My neighbour (the local butcher) is promising lots on Sunday night / Monday morning followed by cold, cold weather.

BY the way he does actually ski (mountain rescue guy as well as chopping up dead animals)
snow report
Snow will start Sunday and go through till at least wednesday .Freezing level will drop below 300 M . So there will be snow at Zurich airport Happy
ski holidays
I quote myself from this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=504331&highlight=famrers+rule#504331

>>Old Farmers Rule in operation >> Early snow followed by heatwave means late winter start

Farmer say Mid-Jan onwards<<
ski holidays
After torrential rain yesterday, the sun came out today. taken that there is no snow in the resort and the runs down are dicey, we had a good 2 hours at 9am on the zamermoos slöpe in spring granular snow before it got cut up then a couple of good runs off the schindergrat lift on the right -- schinderkar. Apparantly Rendl had good slopes. this has all to be taken in the context of expectation of no skiing as did not freeze beow 2000m over last 2 days.Temp about 5° during day now down to 2°.snow cannons in action earlier in week but too warm at moment, snow desperately needed.
ski holidays
rag

Rain is not unsusual in town. St Anton dorf is ony 1300M. Rain can be normal upto 2000 M but it is frequently if not religiuusly followed overnight by a Huge dump . Very Happy
ski holidays
early start today,just got up being told that it is 5.20am made tea just to realize that it is now 2.47am,on early flight looking forward to a good week of new snow each morning,will think about you all in the office monday morn Laughing ,back to bed said florence
ski holidays
just back from 3 hours of great white out skiing at over 1700m. its trying to change to snow in village but grass is showing green.Conditions up mountain should be good tomorrow. Shame -- going home this afternoon
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy