Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton situation (Winter Resumed)

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone coming here be prepared for limited skiing.

There have been MANY cancellation from the Germans & Dutch. THe only people you hear on the slopes are English.

Yesterday it was like the middle of April. Spring conditions.

There is NO skiing on Kappal or Gampen except the link to ZammerMoos.

Best skiing is on the west side. Galzig.
Steisbachtal (Happy Valley) is open just . Schindler to Rauz is open (machine snow)

ITs now possible to ski to St Christoph but the top section from Galzig is the summer road & grittty.

There is NO Off-Piste anywhere. Matun is has only a few cms of snow. !

Rendl is closed . When/if it opens I think it will only be the run back to the valley

The run down to town is made but it is suffering from the temperature

It is not possible to ski to the KK or Tapps. YOu have to walk up the road from the Kamin Stube.

Snow was predicted lastnight but we only got a couple of cms.Rain in town.

To sum up . Its the worse I seen at this time of year in 26 seasons . ONLY a dump of 1 Metre (min) will rectify the situation.

Other areas in Austria have nothing ie. Kitzbuhel .

The local Farmers are saying winter will start Mid Janaury

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-01-07 9:13; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton, "Other areas in Austria have nothing ie. Kitzbuhel . ". Whilst we all accept that the conditions are far from ideal, the quoted sentence is just blatantly not true. There are pistes and lifts open in Kitzbuhel, as from Saturday 16th, as in most resorts, just not a great proportion. Obviously conditions are not ideal as we are all well aware, but it would be better if reports were not as blatantly inaccurate and misleading as this.

D
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deliaskis, ignore him. Stanton revels in being a prophet of doom.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Things are acknowledged now as being fairly poor accross much of Europe, but with no snow anticipated up to christmas, large numbers of punters, rising temperatures, and clear skies forecast towards the end of the week then perhaps it's time to acknowledge that conditions will not be the best for at least the early part of the holiday break.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 18-12-06 10:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's still early guys....probably snow over the next few days for a nice white christmas..!

I personally would not consider Europe before January, it's always a gamble!!!

Hope it works out for those who are going though, have fun! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, oh yeah, fully agreed... but isn't there always an inherent risk of poor snow at Christmas? In 20+ years of skiing/boarding I have never once considered going at Christmas as I've always thought of it as being too risky for snow cover. There seems to be a whole lot of people that are treating it as a given that snow conditions at Christmas will be fabulous. It's worse now that at this time last year, but I recall a winter not so long ago when Austria had NO cover until late January or thereabouts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled, I've never been at christmas or New Year , but have been tempted by early January prices. Always had fun and at least reasonable skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, I've skied and Christmas and early December quite a lot in the last 10 years, in Courchevel, Les Arcs or Val d'Isere. We've never expected brilliant conditions at that time of year (although we sometimes get that) so no disappointment if the snow is less than perfect. However, there's always been enough snow to ski on, and enough open pistes to have a great time. Some years have been better than others, and a couple of times I rented skis to avoid rock damage to my own, but overall we've had a lovely Christmas in the mountains every time we've been.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless my eyes deceive me its snowing in much of Les Arcs at the moment - and I know they've had the cannons on over the weekend.

There is enough for me to have a good weeks skiing with the kids and working on technique. Ok, no thigh deep powder, so what.

It rained for the entire week I was away last summer and had a good time then.

As many have pointed out - rather a week in mountains with some skiing than a week under grey drizzle in the UK

Boris (half-full, optomist, prophet of snow)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
carled, I know what you're saying, but I think there's a big difference between posting things like 'I think this is going to be the worst winter since time began and you might as well cancel', and saying something which is clearly just factually incorrect. A very little web research ascertained that what he was saying was untrue, so I can't imagine it was posted in good faith.

[steps off soapbox]
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton is correct about St Anton's extent of skiing though.

I'm back home in UK for a few days having returned Friday.

There is not much open. I've only been skiing in St Anton for 10 years but it's the worst I've seen at this stage of December.

However, on Wednesday there was off-piste (Schindler Kar) but it's probably all skied out now. On Thursday I had a technique lesson on empty pistes. Looking over to Kapall there were powder tracks (might have been "track") so there is snow up there. I assumed they were protecting Kapall for Christmas. That day I wore my spring jacket with two thin layers and was too hot. It was about +6

The temperature is dropping though (according to snow-forecast.com) which should preserve what they have.

Anyway, I'm an optimist and for Christmas there is enough snow for me to brush up on technique and have fun (and beer)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with rob@rar. We spent the week 19th - 26th December last year at Val D, and although not all the pistes were open, a good proportion (> 50%) were, and it was possible to ski all over espace Killy even down to les Breviers.

A lot of skiing last year was on pistes covered by cannons, but hey, that's what they're for. It looks to me (with one day to go) that conditions will be pretty similar this year, although some reports mention there being some off-piste available which if true is actually better than last year. Seems to me that there is no cause for panic, and the statements of The Merchant of Doom should be taken with a pinch of salt snowHead .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Like a young child I was reading Stantons opening post between fingers clapsed in front of my face, with mounting horror I notice the words "middle of April", "NO skiing", "not possible to ski", "closed", "Rain in town", "worse I seen".

Then the relief when I notice the sentence "The local Farmers are saying winter will start Mid Janaury".

and I realise the scare was just one more snow priest valuing faith over reason. Little Angel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan wrote:
A lot of skiing last year was on pistes covered by cannons, but hey, that's what they're for. It looks to me (with one day to go) that conditions will be pretty similar this year, although some reports mention there being some off-piste available which if true is actually better than last year. Seems to me that there is no cause for panic, and the statements of The Merchant of Doom should be taken with a pinch of salt snowHead .

The Alpine Experience snow reports are always worth a read if you're looking for well balanced reporting based on extensive experience of the EK domain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The truth probably lies somewhere between the optimists and the pessimists.

33% of all St Anton's lifts were open today (Mon). Current snow depths are roughly 20% to 50% below the 15-year average.

Overall, St Anton, like much of Austria, is having a below-average start to the season. But there is still some available terrain in The Arlberg, which will likely get very crowded over Crimbo.
latest report
rob@rar, Thanks Rob great link! snowHead
snow report
rob@rar, that link's bookmarked. Nice One.

Whitegold, I agree. I think even at the moment there is stuff open. I'm keeping an eye on the Gastein Valley and there are lifts/pistes open at the moment. I doubt you can ski to the valley yet but give it time.

IMO whether we head out to the European resorts tomorrow or in Feb, some pistes will be open and lets face it, we'll all still have a good time, right!!?? snowHead snowHead snowHead

Kersh
latest report
Temperature drop yesterday. -9C. Snow cannons in Full operation.

Depsite all the comments . I stick by my report & the Kitzbuhel situation. It is ony manmade over there & VERY limted.

Off -Piste in Arlberg is to dangerous unless you like to rip your skis apart end up in hospital THere not a sufficient base.

There was snow lastnight but not much.

Im back in Switzerland now.
ski holidays
when I looked on the website looked cloudy even snowing Puzzled
ski holidays
Snow-forecast from ski club GB said 5cm fresh (and presumably a large pinch of salt - actually on second thoughts lets hope there's no salt!!)
snow report
Back in St Anton

They done alot of work with the snow cannons & gooomers thanks to the cold temps.

However, Rendl,Stuben, Kappal Skiing below Gampen not availble.

What they have is good, slick icy. Dont bother with your own skis unless there old.

Town is empty compared to normal. Next week will be busier. 3000 UK guests are booked in. Germans & Dutch have cancelled. Also after New Year there have been hundreds of cancellations.

Famers say Mid/late January snow just like 99 & we know what happened that season Sad

I spoke to a Swede lastnight & even in Sweden (Salem) they have laid off 200 workers because of lack of snow.
snow report
Doh!! Whats the latest boys? We are flying out for a week on the 23rd...
ski holidays
mkleynhans, welcome to snowHead
Hope that you have a great holiday and make the most of whatever there is Very Happy
snow report
stanton,

Quote:

Famers say Mid/late January snow just like 99 & we know what happened that season

What happenned in 99 ? Feels like something bad happenned . I'm going last week of Jan, I hope that there is snow betwen now and then and conditions improve, especially as I'm meant to be doing Backcountry all week.

Bod.
latest report
I suspect when it does decide to snow we will get a very large dump on an unsafe base, then things like this happen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galt%C3%BCr_Avalanche
latest report
Putting 99 and all that aside (BAD vibes, Galtur etc) let's hope for a sucessful winter.

I am told that St anrton opens its slopes tmro, including|Kapall
snow report
Now dumping bigtime in St Anton. Strong winds, Snow forecast next 4 days. All higher lifts closed.
snow report
stanton - gooood to hear that !! We (6 of us) are flying to Zurich next Saturday 6th and then to St. Anton for a week and I am just going mad looking at all kinds of forecasts, GFSx, and graphs Confused

I am not sure if this week's snow will make it up for the past month, above zero temperatures are also expected... so we are still undecided on whether to rent a car or take a train in Zurich. A car would allow us to try the nearby glaciers if conditions or snow are not good enough at St. Anton. Let's see what they open tomorrow after today's snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
looking more optimistic now!ive never been skiing as early as this before but looking forward to it! roll on the 6th!
snow report
nick_yates9, welcome to snowHead Enjoy your trip!
latest report
cheers michelle!ive been lurking here the last few weeks, will post up some info when i get back!first time to st anton too.
snow report
ataghit, they have been blasting a little bit this morning so there must be snow about. I live at 1450 ish and there is about 2 feet on the house next door. It's not enough but it's improving. Snow covered piste sides on Rendl and reasonable "near piste" skiing on Bachseite yesterday.

Not snowing outside my house at the moment but more snow is forecast here today, tomorrow and Friday. Then on Saturday, maybe sun.
latest report
Whoops! spoke too soon. It is now snowing again!
snow report
Still snowing. Plenty here now. Temps down as well.

The blasting is mosstly on the Arlberg Pass highway to keep it clear for traffic.
latest report
Good Im out there from 14th. Almost as important as the snow ( I joke of course) - is there live music in the Griabli this year?
ski holidays
stanton, B00thy, thanks for the update ! It looks like +20 cm at valley bottom and +25 at the top (tiscover). Open lifts and pistes still are quite limited in their web page... I guess some more work need to be done. We were actually going to the area for the off piste possibilities, last year I bought a nice little book on the Arlberg Sad so we might need to work out a plan b. I wonder what's going to happen with the Powder 8 European Championships due next week.
ski holidays
Getting VERY excited about heading out on the 6th now!! Had been a bit reluctant to get too revved up but there's no holding back now!
snow conditions
Argh - and I've just had to turn down the offer of a free bed in St Anton with my sister's family leaving on 14th Jan but as I'm already off to Val d'Isere on 28th it ain't gonna happen (work, children, inconvenient things like that). Damn, damn.
snow report
At least one web site is reporting 50cm fresh in Lech - can anyone on the ground/snow confirm this?
snow report
come on baby, 3rd of feb to 10th Wink keep on snowing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy