Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton situation (Winter Resumed)

Poster: A snowHead
got the live cam on today and it looks like its snowing!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aitchdee, I'm afraid not. Jim and Chris haven't been here for a couple of seasons as Griabli have stopped live music. You have Didi Diesel up at Sen Hutte or Barry at Underground on the Piste (Underground has closed), Gunnar at Piccadily
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It snowed most of yesterday. Not snowing at the moment but storm expected this afternoon.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi everyone,

I just looked at the St. Anton webcams, and it looks like overcast. Probably with precipitation. The problem is, they show at ski center a temperature of +3.3. At Valuga just -3.2. So maybe raining in part of the resort. Can anyone over there confirm this. Hopefully it will get colder this afternoon and there is some snow. I´m going there on the 10th till the 20th. I really hope that we get some more snow during those days. Hopefully some off piste skiing Razz
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
B00thy, Thanks for the info. Some friends saw Jim in Verbier last winter. Is Barry the guy who used to play at the Piano Bar? I dont know Didi Diesel - is he ok - sounds a bit Europop. We just like to hear a bit of rock music on the mountain rather than Euro and Ompah!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
netmaquito05, welcome to Snowheads! Yes, the bad news today was that temperatures indeed went up. Near piste (off-piste dangerous) was heavy and sleet abounded. We actually stopped for the day at 12:30.

When I came home half an hour ago it began to sleet at 1400. It is currently -3 at Gampen and -8 at Valuga so fingers crossed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aitchdee, Barry has played for a few years at The (old) Underground. Last season he moved to the Underground on the Piste
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info B00thy. I hope the temperatures go down. That is what the forecast says, but only for tomorrow. The next 3 days it should be warmer again, although probably dry. Sunday is the only day when they expect some rain and snow. Hopefully we get some snow during our stay there. The forecast in j2ski.com is not very optimistic either. Little snow and not very cold. Well, let´s see. I hope they are all wrong. My fingers have been crossed for the last month or so... Razz
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeas temperature is fluctuating quite a bit. It was above zero yesterday. Piste wet however this is good to compact the base.
Today its colder snowing on & off

Rendl is still neeeds alot more snow the off-Piste is thin sot herefore alot of rocks , trees just below the sufice to break your legs and skis Sad

Snowing on & off rest of the week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Back from St Anton yesterday, there is powder everywhere as there has been loads of snow, the cable car to Valluga was shut because of wind so there must be loads of untouched stuff up there also. On Wednesday I was in powder on Galzig below the Galzigbahn over my waist!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well this is it. After much guessing and forecasting we'll be in St. Anton tomorrow trying to enjoy whatever is available in-off piste, dry-wet-sleet or rain. Definitely better than expected only one week ago (I'm taking my skis now). We might make it to some glacier for one day or two if the next week "heat wave" melts and drains all the snow Smile. Thank you all for the updates!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, Thanks for your help re organising trip to St Anton, it's a super place and really enjoyed the holiday. I think all this discussion on this snow report thread is a little futile, whatever the conditions it can be fun and too much snow can cause as many problems as too little. During my stay when there was no snow I could see where I was skiing and enjoy the views, when it was snowing some lifts were closed because of the wind, visibility was poor and it was cold but there was powder everywhere! I think in the end it is better to stop worrying daily about forecasts etc. as any day in the mountains is a good day! Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross, here here!

Got back from Lech on Wednesday. First four days cold with blue skies. Limited pistes but in great condition, considering. Last Friday we hired an instructor. He took us to Zurs, which we know well, but we explored places we would never have dared go without a guide. He was a 63 year old, been teaching for 42 years in the area and had never known the snow so bad at this time of year, but we had some of the best fun ever. On Monday it rained heavily in the resort and so we didn't ski. On Tuesday we skied on piste in 20cm of powder but the lifts were closed to the top, and the connecting lift to Zurs was closed. But, we had great fun!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin Bell, On Monday it was raining low down in St Anton also so I went up to Valluga. Powder everywhere and I was struggling on my rental Fischer slalom skis! The visibility was very low and wind very strong, I hadn't a clue where I was going! Still managed to latch on to some other people and got down to more familiar terrain eventually. Not much fun at the time but a good story now Laughing

The next day I got some Atomic Triplets, much better on powder, so I was gliding around on loads of powder all day in a very snowy Rendl.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Temps still fluctuating. Yesterday, I would say was the best skiing day of the last 21 days. Perfect dry snow. Powder is still not really deep enough on "backside" as You can still feel the bottom.

No new significant dumps of snow in forecast for next 7days.

Maybe there open some higher lifts today.

There was a big Avalanche on Rendl (Hinter Rendl) yesterday afternoon, two people caught up & i believe OK.

It was posted Level 4 & to get to Hinter Rendl would of meant hiking. I do not have any sympathy for them.

Slab Slides are clearly visible in St Christoph under the lift.
ski holidays
Yes, both are OK. One had his head sticking oout after the slide and the other was dug out. Both were locals.

Yesterday the snow was back "heavy going". The schindler hangs were heavy in the morning (and poor visibility). Albona pistes were hard enough in the afternoon but bare in places.
snow conditions
The actual situation and the forecast for St. Anton is getting much worse now. They forecast RAIN for monday, tuesday and thursday, with really high temps. The actual temperature in St. Anton Now is 6.4 ºC!!!!!
So I think the snow on the lower parts will be gone soon. They allready say is wet on the lower part, where they yesterday said it was perfect snow.
I just hope at least it snows on the higher parts. This really doesn´t look like winter Sad
snow conditions
One of the locals was Sean (local is questionable ) who works at the Funky Chicken. I believe both will receive significant fines.

I got out of St Anton for a while why it rains Sad

Hopefully as the Farmers said it will snow later this month.

Here in Switzerland its +11C
ski holidays
stanton, one was Aegon ('scuse the spelling)

Last night was much colder and the skiing good today. I'm only back now because I'm driving a mate to the airport. Otherwise it was good enough to ski on into the afternoon for the first time in a few days.

Rain is expected tomorrow but not Thursday.

Some snow is expected towards the end of next week (but not much). The snow arrives around the 25th (with all the usual caveats)
ski holidays
Are we talking rain from top to bottom or just rain in the village and snow up high? I am leaving today for st. anton and getting depressed. Although it was 70 in ny this weekend
ski holidays
Snow up HIGH I think.
latest report
j, they are forecasting the freezing level tomorrow as up to 2,600 metres - so it could rain up the mountain as high as that http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=16
latest report
J

dont worry you can still ski top to bottom. Its just you get a bit wet if you go into Town Very Happy
latest report
hi to all in st anton,just got home from sunny xmas break to find is not a very happy thread,will be arriving 22 jan with some friends for first visit to this resort and would love to down a few beers with local snowheads. I will be doing the traditional surrey snow dance every night untill then and hope for the best,
stanton are the farmers usually correctish with their forecasting- mountain men normally know their stuff
Boothy where does the date 25th come from -- the farmers!!
snow report
No, a friend of mine who is a Berg & Schifuhrer and amateur meteorologist. I think it concurs with the Metcheck view -ish
ski holidays
Yeuck! Rain stopped play! (as far as I was concerned anyway!) Rain and cloud today and tomorrow it is expected to be warmer (although there should be some sun)
snow report
Expected Freezing level on Saturday 3300M Sad Then coming down Very Happy
snow conditions
B00thy wrote:
No, a friend of mine who is a Berg & Schifuhrer and amateur meteorologist. I think it concurs with the Metcheck view -ish

A "Piste to Powder" Guide / Bergfuhrer?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good morning one and all, please please how is the snow standing up to all this warm weather, still have 10 days till arrive but still desperate to know some detail.
staying in nass end of resort but have no idea how far this is from resort centre, lifts ,apri ect, can it be walked is there a bus,any info would be great.
is there any must dos whilst in st anton,ie courmayer has valley blanch ect.
many thanks, a skidder of note.
snow conditions
http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/ViewPage.asp?Site=STANTON2-WINTER&PageID=206&lang=201

It doesn't look that bad Very Happy
snow report
shorty,

You can walk it no problem.
snow report
shorty, there is also a free ski bus until 6.30pm and night bus that costs €3.50 after that, but not far to walk. There is a gondola and all ski shops from Nasserein right up to mid station at Gampen. I'm not sure about dos for St Anton, maybe the White Ring around Zurs, Zug and Lech and if you are an experienced and brave off-piste skier go off the back of Valluga down to Zurs. On do nots, don't ski down the main street, I think the cops could pull you for that!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-01-07 16:56; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Peter Ross

don't ski down the main street, I think the cops could pull you for that!

Allthough folks do when theres new snow, etc. It is definitly illegal (even the pedestrain zone) & they DO issue tickets now & again.
snow conditions
DB wrote:

A "Piste to Powder" Guide / Bergfuhrer?

No, he can ski top drawer (ie above Piste to Powder's folk I believe) and guides but is not a mountain guide ie can not take folk overnight (but I didn't understand why the question was asked)
snow report
I realised that sounds like a slur on Piste to Powder - not intended. My mate is a schifuhrer - skis and teaches skiing at the highest level. The piste to powder folk may not be able to do that but what they are (as I understand) are mountain guides who are not allowed to teach skiing at all - they are mountain guides first and foremost - good skiers but not necessarily skiers of the highest quality as that is not the primary aim
snow conditions
B00thy,

Agreed
snow conditions
B00thy,

I asked because you said initially he was a Bergfuhrer (i.e. a Mountain Guide).

As I understand it, Graham (who ownes Piste to Powder) is certainly qualified to teach skiing in various countries inc France and Austria as well as being a fully qualified Mountain guide. Why is Graham not allowed to teach if he has the qualifications?
snow conditions
DB,

Teaching takes time . Theres more money in just showing people round a mountain on or off-piste.
latest report
stanton wrote:
DB,

Teaching takes time . Theres more money in just showing people round a mountain on or off-piste.

That makes P2P sound like how people have described ESF i.e. follow me. My experience (with Graham) hasn't been that at all.
The way I look at it, I got a qualified teacher and guide (inc safety equipment) for little more than the cost of a ski instructor. What does the ski school offer and is safety equipment always included?

Graham also offers a lot of trips to various parts of the world that you just aren't going to see with an Austrian ski instructor because most don't have Mountainguide qualifications.
snow report
I believe I said he was a Berg and Schifuherer. Essentially, in addition to being a schifuherer he studied ski mounaineering with the Bergfuherers.

On the point of Graham, there is no doubt about his qualifications. I do not believe the same can be said for the skiing qualifications of Bergfuherers in general, who can, once they have passed the trainee ski instructor test, go on to study for bergfuherer without necessarily being good skiers.

As for Graham not being allowed to teach, I believe that in St Anton you must be a member of either the Arlberg or St Anton ski schools to teach.

There is soon to be at least once court case as on XMAS day two guys were given summons, charged with teaching whilst not being a member of a ski school.

But this is leading to a completely different thread isn't it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy