Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you fancy being a (SCGB) Council member??

Poster: A snowHead
You might be interested in seeing the notice below which is hidden away on SCGB's front page:

"All nominations for prospective council members need to be in by Monday 30 August 2004.

This year the Ski Club of Great Britain AGM will be held on Tuesday 30 November.

The Annual General meeting is the time when you, the members, have the opportunity to help decide the future direction of the Club. It is to be held at the Clubhouse in Wimbledon Village on Tuesday 30 November 2004, and there will be drinks and music afterwards.

If you have any items you will wish to bring up under the Discussion period following the AGM, please let Caroline Stuart-Taylor, the Chief Executive, know by 30 August 2004 by letter or e-mail to agmdiscussion@skiclub.co.uk. Any proposals for a formal Resolution must be accompanied by support from one twentieth of the membership and also received by 30th August 2004.

This year, Council members John Haddon, Peter Heap and David Masters will be retiring - any nominations must be proposed and seconded, and the nominee must agree to stand. If elected, they must also agree to become a director of Ski Club of Great Britain Ltd. All nominations and proposals should be sent in writing either by post to Caroline Stuart-Taylor at the skiclub address or by e-mail to nominations@skiclub.co.uk by 30 August 2004."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

which is hidden away on SCGB's front page
so well that I can't see it anywhere ??? Non member and not likely to ever be one if they carry on like this. I am a 'registered user' on the SCGB site. Do members and non-members see a different home page ????

TKS anyway Cathy - the features article on the Vanoise Express was interesting.

Any snowHead fancy standing for this ? We will give you virtual support. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't fancy being a council member at all. Seems to me council members get rather little thanks for their efforts. And though I have some petty niggles, I feel the club does what I need very well.
However, for those who are not happy, representation on the council may be the only way you will get things changed. Note that a director has very real responsibilities - see the answer to What are the duties of company directors? under Business Officials FAQ in this page.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kuwait_ian, top right "Latest News" - ne c'est pas?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm happy to stand in as a totalitarian leader and invoke the NSP (New Skiing Policy, analogous to Lenin's NEP) and banish all Tories, yuppies, blood sucking lawyers and other such 'undesirables' from the slopes as being 'enemies of the Alps (analogous to enemies of the state).

If you are in agreement, please second my candidature.

Kevin Lenin.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmm that's almost tempting Kevin Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs wrote:
kuwait_ian, top right "Latest News" - ne c'est pas?
using the link from our front page (so you are not seen by SCGB as a registered user or a member) I still can't see this info.

Kevin - go for it - they need a bit of a stir.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes you're right Ian - I logged off the site and that "Reminder" message disappeared. You'll have to join! NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So what's so secret about an AGM that the outside world cannot read about it ? And even if you are a member, it's apparently not very in-your-face. They've gone to the trouble of customising the web site (perhaps to avoid spamming etc) so it could at least have been more obvious to their members.
I think I'll be hanging onto my £50. Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, I suspect Laura didn't think the AGM would interest anyone outside the SCGB. Much the same that I am not very bothered about - say - the Royal College of Surgeons' AGM.

The AGM is listed prominently enough on the site to emembers, and it was also prominently flagged up in a newsletter posted to the membership. On top of that, it has been discussed in its own thread in the Ski Club section. Anyone in the club, who is interested, should have no doubt about the AGM date.

To be sure, if you just want sight of AGM matters, I wouldn't fork out a subscription Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cathy Coins, thanks for pointing out the closing date for nominations, which is only 6 days away.

Certainly, the evidence of the past few months is that internet ski forum users could be better represented on the Club's Council/board of directors. The potential of the internet to generate membership growth will be huge, if it is harnessed to foster a sense of community (viz snowHeads). If it isn't the dominant form of communication and information for skiers now, the internet will surely rule the roost very shortly.

Membership growth is very much the crux of the matter. It is the only source of independence and the only proof that the Club is for 'all skiers' (a mission objective published over 10 years ago).

It's all a question of using the Club's resources to maximum effect, so that people feel it represents great value and relevance to them, and that they therefore recommend membership to friends.

Anyone who puts themself forward for election with the objective of substantial membership growth gets my vote!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did you get the "one twentieth of the membership to put a formal resolution"

Very typical of the type of organisation which many from Snowheads are accusing the SCGB of being. This type of limitation can be seen in the rules of many governing bodies of sport and in other not for profit organisations.

A great many, if not most, sports clubs have a majority, probably fairly close to that nineteen twentieths, who are not interested in the running of the club and just want to participate. Consequently the one twentieth probably includes all the activists and if that many want their own resolution, which the Council will not instigate on its own, you have civil war anyway.

In practise this clause is a means to ensure that all official, and binding, business at the AGM is totally controlled by the Council. So the only way to change such an organisation is to obtain a majority on the Council and, as this would take years since only some Council members are elected each year, there is plenty of time for the establishment to take counter measures. Incidently that system of only part of Council being elected each year is part of the control mechanism.

When I see these type of rules in an organisation, I personally consider that the organisation is not primarily interested in democracy nor of the greater good of its members. I believe what I see in the rules not was is said in its propaganda. I am a member of the SCGB but I am not too certain why, maybe just inertia. Or is it that I am a Tory? Kevin?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
john wells wrote:
... Incidently that system of only part of Council being elected each year is part of the control mechanism...

Well. I am sure it is intended to promote resistance to violent change (OK, OK, there was the forum!). But that can be a good thing - it allows the organization staff to have a reasonable basis to make long-term plans. Those they negotiate with know that the rules won't be truned on their head ovenight. And the membership knows what it is getting when it lays out its subscriptions.

But that does not stop progressive change. And it should not be seen by those who want change as an easy reason for not playing an active part in the democratic process. Quite apart from anything else, reforming candidtates have a genuine measure (the members' votes) of support for theri policies. I am looking forward to seeing the canditates' list.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick, you are clearly a very nice person and not an old cynic like me. The reason you give for having a partial election of the Council and terms of office longer than one year is the standard quote but it doen't really hold up to inspection.

In most of these organisations a large number of the members of Council are reelected when the end of their stint arrives. If every Council member stood for election every year there would still be plenty of continuity from the reelected members.

If violent change should happen and none of the previous Council members are reelected, they probably deserve it as they have either become unrepresentative of the organisation or they are so out of touch that they did not see the problem coming.

Anyway violent change can be good for an organisation; not comfortable certainly but re-energising. Mao's continual revolution (cann't remember, was it three year periods?) had a valid point as it kept the organisation true to the founding concept - whether or not that was a good thing is another discusion.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
john wells wrote:
Mao's continual revolution (cann't remember, was it three year periods?) had a valid point
Now, now John, it was partly for quoting Mao that I got beaten round the ears in the SCGB forum with the MP Philosophers' Song - see this snowheads thread. Not going down that route again Wink
latest report
Sorry Nick - hadn't seen that thread. Good song though wasn't it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy