Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Forget this week, What about the week after

Poster: A snowHead
BGA,
Right country, wrong corner
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
forecast's seemed to have improved, chance of fresh snow over weekend and freezing level low

keep snow dancing everyone Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Make like Bing Crosby everyone, ........ I'm dreaming of a

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2884.png

^
|
GFS 06z for Xmas day showing snow laden cold front heading for the mountains.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously, in the more reliable timeframe, 06z GFS was set up a bit more like ECM, but less chance of snow early next week.

Last edited by brian on Wed 13-12-06 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now your just teasing us, is that snowfall?, just needs to move a little bit further SE
Still time of course, but as i said things looking better
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, that's taking a seriously long time to download, even on my broadband connection, and I shall give up. It could be the donating server playing up , but it might be better if you take out the inserted image, replace it with a simple link.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CrowJersey wrote:
OK Monkfish, horrid site were all doomed if that comes true

mcfcPaul, nice, rain shown for 20/21(75% chance) if true depends on freezing levels i guess but ........who knows

Do i sound desperate or what! clinging on to that ray of hope from somewhere Laughing Laughing Laughing

I never knew it was possible to rain at -3 -4 temps , but you lives & learns i guess rolling eyes.

10 days is a long way off iam not worried.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My totally untrained eye has picked up that the forecast is looking a little healthier on the current run, precipitation + cold weather particularly between Xmas/New Year Smile

No doubt the lunchtime run will show a wildly different forecast but until this afternoon I can relax a little, I think I may be under the illusion that I have some control over the weather by analysing forecasts.

Delusions of grandeur on a wild scale!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
achilles, sorry about that, wetterzentrale seems to be goosed at the mo. It's only a 50K or so image, so it shouldn't take that long ....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, I would say that the 06z GFS run has reverted back to Sundays FI run. While not as good as 18z yesterday its certainly looking much colder and wetter. Do you agree?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure if this has been discussed before but you can get video weather updates sent to your email here:

https://www.skinets.com/video_snow_reports_intro.php

Great way to know how the snow is if you're going out that week of for a long weekend. It covers Val d'Isere, Cham and 3 valleys wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
powderhund, only if you're desperate enough to implicitly trust what they're telling you... It smacks of tour operaterism to me... we'll tell you the best apres ski spots (meaning we'll tell you where we get paid kickbacks from if we take you there) and we'll tell you the weather forecast (carefully edited to make it look as optimistic as possible) and we'll show you video footage (which we've carefully avoided specifying has been taken in any recent timeframe) so you know exactly how it is over here.

Sorry... I think it's utter poppycock. You'll find out far more by tuning in to this section of snowheads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled,
powderhund, has offered 3 posts to snowHead 's all saying the same thing , possibly a smell of spam Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Carled,

Didn't realise you were such a cynical bunch on here. But then I guess you must get many rogue elements appearing from time to time.

In fact this is completely legit and up front. I posted it b'cos a friend of mine is one of the reporters. It is 100% genuine. It's filmed (every Sunday and Thursday) and it's not got "tour operaterism" anywhere near it. It's been created to inform people where's best to ski

No spam, not poppycock just a great way to stay in touch with what's happening in the mountains. Beats webcams, ceefax and all the others hands down : Shock
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian wrote:
achilles, sorry about that, wetterzentrale seems to be goosed at the mo. It's only a 50K or so image, so it shouldn't take that long ....

The tag's broken.

Quote:
No doubt the lunchtime run will show a wildly different forecast but until this afternoon I can relax a little

I'll guess that it won't look as good.
snow report
 brian
brian
skanky, I broke the tab deliberately to stop it trying to load.
snow report
brian, oh sorry. It loads no problem for me now.
snow conditions
powderhund,
Quote:
Beats webcams, ceefax and all the others hands down

Can you qualify that statement please? Surely a webcam image that's live, coupled with reports from people on snowheads who actually live and work in the resorts is kind of (in my opinion anyway) going to knock a twice-weekly update into a cocked hat?

Your service... correction, your friend's service... may appeal to those who still think that ceefax or tour-op run premium rate phone lines are the only way to find out information on current snow conditions, but I doubt it holds much appeal to those who realise we no longer live in the 1990's...

I'm all for a bit of entrepreneurial(sp?) spirit, but in the immortal words of Duncan Bannatyne... "I'm out."
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Each to their own... Webcams are limiting in info / reliability and sometimes authenticity. Local textual reports are great but you don't get to see a lot.

I don't have your experience of premium phone lines but I'm sure you're right on that one Shocked
snow report
powderhund, er... hmmm. I can see your angle on this and good luck, but it's not for me. Check out Easiski's LDA thread for just how bad rolling eyes this local text & picture information is that you're talking about... This is not the only thread on here that does similar things and, guess what? Many more people will trust a free service than one they're paying for with a vested interest in "keeping the punters happy..."
ski holidays
Point taken - can't be a freebie
snow conditions
GFS forecast improved, something happening around 23rd? http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Les Carroz has put back opening date from 16th to 23rd and i arrive on 22nd, so hopefully fresh virgin snow for me HORRAH!!
ski holidays
CrowJersey, can you leave a bit of fresh snow for us please as we get to Samoens on 26th.....
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Things seem to be settling down a bit model-wise for the week ahead. To summarise:

Thurs-Fri : mild'n'dry
Sat-Sun: cooling'n'dry
Mon-Wed: cold'n'dry (some chance of a flake or 2 for the pyrenees)

Further outlook - would you believe ... dry ? rolling eyes

Snow clearly saving itself for those of us arriving Xmas week Confused

For Scotland, chances of some snow at the weekend followed by some fine weather Mon/Tues, could be good ....
latest report
brian, the thing with the dryness is that will resorts be able to survive on just man made snow? Agree that the charts look much cooler, if only we can get some wet weather it could work out very well.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
For Scotland, chances of some snow at the weekend followed by some fine weather Mon/Tues, could be good ....

So my decision not to go to France this weekend and stay at home (to decorate !) may have a happy ending next week if I can get a day trip to Scotland.
snow report
brian, is your summary for the whole of the Alps or just one bit?

It is just this site here (linked on another thread) is suggesting a reasonable amount of snow for Saalbach next week...

...and meteoblue is suggesting snow for the southern alps over the weekend http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/
snow conditions
CrowJersey wrote:
GFS forecast improved, something happening around 23rd? http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png

I give up tyring to understand these i'll leave it to the experts,
snow report
Srobbo -why wait till next week to come to Scotland we now have some of the best conditions in Europre for white water rafting and i am sure i have just seen the white lady float down the river Spey out of my front window!!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, yep, it's an overview. Meteoblue's only forecasting a few cm down south.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like ECMWF has lost the LP. UKMO & GFS seem to want to run tomorrow's cold front over the UK down as far as the Alps on Sunday. It'll be very weak by then though so I wouldn't expect a lot out of it. UKMO seems to want to bring the LP over the Med more into play at 144h, but it's a bit out on a limb and most of the other models fill it and move it east. As brian says, HP to dominate next week.
snow report
so skanky, in other words dry? Will some of the lower resorts even open on the 23rd? Surely places like Megeve and La Clusaz will struggle with nothing new?
snow report
micksup, the webcam views in Megève are nice and white, but I suspect it's a very thin covering.
ski holidays
exactly laundryman, the base at resort levels are sub 10cm. Surely that is not enough for 23rd opening is it?
latest report
micksup, fortunately, I won't be there to find out (as I was this time last year, when conditions were not too bad).
snow conditions
micksup, looks like it me (FWIW). Or at least nothing more than light falls. Should be cold enough for artificial snow though - esp. overnight.
latest report
Quote:
UKMO seems to want to bring the LP over the Med more into play at 144h, but it's a bit out on a limb and most of the other models fill it and move it east.

The forecasters seem happy enough to keep the Tuesday FAX chart unaltered, despite the seeming lack of support from other models. I think two GFS ensemble runs show its existence, not sure about the other models. Wouldn't bring much and porobably mainly to the southern Alps, but possibly better than nothing.
ski holidays
OK lost again in all snow talk, FAX charts Models etc etc

Simply next week is looking dry as a bone, no snowfall due?, Great!!

I've done caring now, too many ups and downs just like the GFS charts

What's there is there when i arrive

I tell you one thing though, start investing in companies who make snow machines i can see their sales rising alot after the start to this season and the whole global warming thing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

start investing in companies who make snow machines

Megeve, La Clusaz, etc have plenty of snow making machines. Several problems - they can only work when it's cold, and they need plenty of water. Problem up to now has been very warm weather, immediate future problem is very dry weather. So....... There are plenty of Snowheads threads advising people to ski at Easter, not Christmas. There's nothing very new about that. Christmas snow has been dodgy as long as I can remember, with dramatic footage on the news of green slopes and people hiking in Wengen, etc etc. December, rubbish. March, great. April, better bet than December. You can get lucky at Christmas, but it is luck, especially in France, rather than well-founded expectation.
snow report
Quote:
Simply next week is looking dry as a bone, no snowfall due?, Great!!

Not dry as a bone, there will probably be some light falls late Sunday and here and there after that. Whether there's enough to do more than freshen what's already there, I don't know.
snow conditions
skanky wrote:

The forecasters seem happy enough to keep the Tuesday FAX chart unaltered, despite the seeming lack of support from other models. I think two GFS ensemble runs show its existence, not sure about the other models. Wouldn't bring much and porobably mainly to the southern Alps, but possibly better than nothing.

Southern Alps will be fine by me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy