Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Forget this week, What about the week after

Poster: A snowHead
i'm no expert but this week seem's to be a wipe out for any new snowfall, and to make matters worse temps rising

So lets forget it and look forward to the following week espically for those Xmas Skiers (Me!!)

So Brain, Carled and any other forcasters, tells us, GSF Charts look encouraging, many are doing the snow dance (Dancers can take this week off, even divine intervention wont change anything)

I imagine there are alot of Xmas Skiers with no finger nails left.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, it seems that people (as I said way back) don't want to hear it how it is. The truth is that many people "guessing" at the weather (including myself) have been concerned about the warmth of this coming week for a while. I posted back on the 6th December that the GFS trends were showing a worrying heat burst for this coming week and it looks like it may happen. Greg (kitenski) and I have been worriedly watching a spike of temperature around the 15th for over a week now, hoping to dismiss it as a far-off non-event, but just look at how it appears to be coming off as predicted way back by the gfs model... At the time I got a fair few "doom monger" comments (trust me, I'm no doom monger!) and the GFS charts looked briefly like they were opting for cooler conditions... alas, those charts are starting to disappear again.

The low temp charts may yet come back, but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think they will. To me it looks like a warm week. Tue & Wed warm-ish, Thursday, Friday & Saturday (particularly Friday) may be stupidly warm... I wouldn't be surprised to see daytime temps in low-ish parts of Europe get up close to 20 deg c again... I hope not, but it's on the cards from the current charts.

Sunday shows a chance of a breakdown with colder temps returning. By Monday it should be good and cold again. It should last all week, but there's currently a bit of a battle around Christmas eve/day between warm and cold. Hopefully the cold will win the battle!

Yes, it can change. Will it change? Who knows. Maybe. Personally I don't think so, based on today's charts and the trend that's been developing. Don't shoot the messenger and if you don't like what I'm saying, ignore me. CrowJersey asked and I'm telling him what I think.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
carled wrote:
The low temp charts may yet come back, but, I'm sorry to say, I don't think they will. To me it looks like a warm week. Tue & Wed warm-ish, Thursday, Friday & Saturday (particularly Friday) may be stupidly warm... I wouldn't be surprised to see daytime temps in low-ish parts of Europe get up close to 20 deg c again... I hope not, but it's on the cards from the current charts.

I would be very surprised, it looks mild in Southern England and France's atlantic coast but under a calm HP with short daylight hours, I think alpine valley temps will struggle to get very high even if there is warmer air aloft.

.... and Tues/Wed are around average, slightly below in fact in many alpine areas (you doom-monger, you Wink ).

Quote:

Sunday shows a chance of a breakdown with colder temps returning. By Monday it should be good and cold again.

It does look that way just now, the key imo is the HP currently shown slap bang over Southern England on Monday 18th. Fine where it is, further west is good but if it turns out to be further east, Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pretty good agreement for it to be where we'd like it, though it'll have to move eastwards at some point. ECMWF doesn't show much of a problem with it though.

One thing that's worth pointing out is that under high pressure, the 850hpa level will be higher (~1800m for 1030hpa at sl). Daytime temps may be a bit warmer, but it should get sub-zero overnight. Whether it's warm enough for long enough to do much damage is a moot point - and probably needs local forecasters who know the terrain to be able say. It might be compounded by a lack of a decent base I suppose.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TWO is modeling high temps for Austria through Sat 16 Dec, followed by much colder temps until Tues 26 Dec. It is showing light or heavy snow on 8 out of 10 days after next Sun.

For France, it is plotting light snow for 6 of the next 16 days. Temps still fairly high.

In short, the forecast for the Eastern Alps looks reasonably good. Things appear shakier in the West. Still early days, though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The local forecast which apears on the Saalbach site is always on the pessimistic side from us skiers point of view. They don't seem to be buying into high temps in the middle of the coming week. Even a bit of freeze/thaw lets the snow cannons run!

I'm still reasonably hopeful for the Xmas ski.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can;t get my little headf round the models,and ensembles, but Metcheck shows freezing levels rising to above 3000m by Wed,but dropping to below 700m by early next week. No precipitation though.
snow report
 brian
brian
Back on the rollercoaster, 12z not looking good at T+120, ridging much weaker on this run I fear ....
latest report
 brian
brian
.... hmmm, so there's the problem I mentioned above, a little Low runs out under Iceland and bumps our HP too far East, and the cold shot misses the western alps altogether.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little low runs Puzzled T120+ Puzzled , 12z Puzzled All Double Dutch

Simple please, SNOW or NO SNOW, WARM OR COLD!! SKIS OR HIKING BOOTS!!

Great read though thanks,
latest report
 brian
brian
CrowJersey, is it La Clusaz you're going to ?

Based on that and the latest run:

NO SNOW, WARM, WELLIES Little Angel

(Same run yesterday was horrible too, so don't get too depressed wink ).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mmwwwwahahhh Verbier has fantastic conditions... (hope I'm not speaking too soon)...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, nice post wink informative ,realistic,interesting but most of all put in away that gets your message across without upsetting anyone Smile keep up the good work,its a nicer snowHead this way?you seem to be a reformed character lately?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
please tell me it will be good snow at les arcs carled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
CrowJersey, is it La Clusaz you're going to ?

Based on that and the latest run:

NO SNOW, WARM, WELLIES Little Angel

(Same run yesterday was horrible too, so don't get too depressed wink ).

No, Les Carroz & Grand Massif 22 - 29th Dec
latest report
 brian
brian
CrowJersey, ok then, based on the latest run you'll be clinging to the high slopes of Flaine, but you might get some fresh snow up high. Take your wellies for in resort though wink
snow conditions
to show my reaction Crying or Very sad

Really? Shocked

I'm counting on you brian, i want daily reports, right!! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
(Same run yesterday was horrible too, so don't get too depressed ).

Keep your eye on the 12z over the winter, esp compared to the 06z. It does sometimes seem to favour the warmer runs.
snow conditions
Did someone say wellys well there's a thing.

Anyone got a view on medium term prognosis for the (Tarentaise) season? Thinking about diving in and bagging a bargain but can't decide if Jan will be freezing and snowy or just freezing baseless poo rolling eyes ?
snow conditions
CrowJersey, can't you cancel? If there is not a clear change this time next week I will pull the plug and take my holiday late January.

That I guess is the benefit of driving via Eurotunnel that you can change dates as required.
snow conditions
CrowJersey, Like you I'm off skiing over Xmas and with the family booked in as well don't really have the chance of cancelling. Charts I have seen and understand show warmer weather this week but then cold again - I'm pinning my hopes on the web cam pictures I've been watching which show lots of piste bashing activities - not sure they would be that busy maintaining pistes if they thought it would all melt?

Mind you I freely admit to being a hopeless optomist - therefore it will be snowy and cold and Xmas will be great Madeye-Smiley
latest report
surely Boris, hotels/chalet's can't expect guests to turn up if there is either no snow or where there is its melting? Would it not be the most frustrating thing ever to be sat in a hotel waiting for it to get colder? Surely there has to be some compromise? The fact that I refused to pay a large deposit for my holiday is looking a wise decision.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am off to Meribel for the New Year, I normally enjoy the anticipation of my annual ski trip but this year has been hell!!! I would normally go away mid February so I have never endured this torture of waiting to see if there will be good snow or even any snow at all if some of you are to be beleived. Can anyone offer any kind of optimism in terms of the impending rising temps and aparent lack of snow on the horizon? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lisach wrote:
CrowJersey, can't you cancel? If there is not a clear change this time next week I will pull the plug and take my holiday late January.

That I guess is the benefit of driving via Eurotunnel that you can change dates as required.

Er.... no, Kids Holidays, White Christmas?

Eurotunnel? whats that? long way round from Jersey, Were only an hour by boat off the french coast,
snow conditions
sorry CrowJersey, I didn't mean you specifically. I assume that Condor aren't as flexible. Like you we 'were' looking forward to a white christmas but started to explain to the kids a couple of weeks ago that its possible that we delay, instead they can stay at home and play with their presents. That went down well and has lessened their disappointment, although not mine Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Les Arcs? I have a friend taking his family there on the 16th asking me the very same thing... hmm... I don't see much change in the forecasts yet... very warm from now until after next weekend, then cooling down. Maybe a chance of precipitation... signs of a bit more if things pan out with a warm/cold air struggle pretty much slap bang over the alps... time will tell. High up (2000m+) should be fine though and most French resorts have loads to play with up there and they'll maintain the runs back down to resort too. You'll all be fine. Stop fretting. snowHead
snow report
thanks thats brightened my day now Smile
snow report
The freezing level is up to 3000 metres In Morzine on Thursday.It hasn't been that high for a few weeks.Hope it is wrong !
Just as the web cam was looking nice and white as well.
I sincerely hope there will be snow there over the new year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

surely Boris, hotels/chalet's can't expect guests to turn up if there is either no snow or where there is its melting? Would it not be the most frustrating thing ever to be sat in a hotel waiting for it to get colder?

Hotels and chalets are businesses, they have no control over the snow. When you book the holiday it's done in good faith, I can't believe that anywhere in you documentation they've guaranteed snow.

Would you feel it OK to cancel if you'd booked to go to Tenerife and the forecast 2 weeks before you went was for rain?
ski holidays
fair point jonathancarty, but in Tenerife the weather would have far less impact on the activity of a holiday. Surely you cannot ski on grass or slush?

Interesting to get a viewpoint from a Chalet owner on this subject? What are guests going to do all week if the temps keep rising?
snow report
Looking at the 00z inits, GFS is a bit out on a limb for next week. ECMWF is very bullish about the HP staying over the UK and northerlies pushing down into Europe. It gets a reasonable amount of support from NOGAPS and GEM, while the UKMO model (whilst not being available that far) looks to be taking a similar line. GFS keeps the HP mainly over central Europe and thus the low pressure systems push through to the north. It'll be interesting to see which way the UKMO goes.
snow conditions
Many Hotels I have used allowed cancellation up to the day before, some the week before, with no loss of deposit (or only the loss of a small deposit) which combined with the flexibility of Eurotunnel can be a good way to hedge your bets. This is another reason to DIY vs TO conditions where verything has to be paid for weeks in advance and refunds are not even a concept.
latest report
 brian
brian
skanky,

I was just about to post something similar. Even the GFS has plenty of cold members in the ensemble.

ski holidays
Thanks chaps, it's very good to be able to read intelligent interpretation of the technical stuff without having to figure it out for yourself, and having a debate between knowledgeable interpreters to get an idea of the range of possibilities; keep it up, please. Especially when the possibility of things improving is more than just a fervent prayer. Very Happy
latest report
brian, the operational run is an outlier after 20th. I do feel that there's a pattern change in the offing. Philip Eden has already pointed out that this SWly spell is a bit notable for its prolonged existence and intensity (he was talking about the UK, but it's all connected).
snow report
Want a white Christmas? here's how ....

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2115025.html?menu=
snow conditions
DB, how much of a hill do you think 10 tons will cover? snowHead
ski holidays
skanky wrote:
Looking at the 00z inits, GFS is a bit out on a limb for next week. ECMWF is very bullish about the HP staying over the UK and northerlies pushing down into Europe. It gets a reasonable amount of support from NOGAPS and GEM, while the UKMO model (whilst not being available that far) looks to be taking a similar line. GFS keeps the HP mainly over central Europe and thus the low pressure systems push through to the north. It'll be interesting to see which way the UKMO goes.

It sound great!! what does it mean Laughing

Thing to possiably change for the better!! next week?
ski holidays
Quote:
what does it mean

A number of the models don't (currently) agree with GFS about next week and look a little more optimistic. The differences aren't huge - they all bring high pressure into the situation - but the details are enough to make reasonable difference to the weather the Alps will experience. Don't know which will win out, but GFS is in the minority at the moment so we'd have to go for the ECMWF or somewhere between the two (like GEM), but that may change. No two models are alike, though I *think* (it was the case 12 years ago) that the GFS and ECMWF are more similar to each other than they are to the UKMO GM (though that's been updated since then).
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas wrote:
DB, how much of a hill do you think 10 tons will cover? snowHead

Enough to give tamwoth or Milton Keynes a run for their money Wink

If someone in Cruddas Park flats wins the Ebay auction they could create their very own mini-French resort. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy