Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Forget this week, What about the week after

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skanky wrote:
Quote:
what does it mean

A number of the models don't (currently) agree with GFS about next week and look a little more optimistic. The differences aren't huge - they all bring high pressure into the situation - but the details are enough to make reasonable difference to the weather the Alps will experience. Don't know which will win out, but GFS is in the minority at the moment so we'd have to go for the ECMWF or somewhere between the two (like GEM), but that may change. No two models are alike, though I *think* (it was the case 12 years ago) that the GFS and ECMWF are more similar to each other than they are to the UKMO GM (though that's been updated since then).

Ah ok, i think? lets hope the outcome is postive, cheers for the explaination
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm. Looking at the models this morning, there appears to be a growing consensus of opinion about the high pressure beginning to look like forming over the uk, which will bring cold temps down from the Arctic into Europe... I'm actually starting to feel reasonably optimistic about some decent low temps and snowfall from this setup.. but aside from the odd sprinkling here and there today in Austria/Germany I don't see much of note until later next week... maybe next Weds or thereabouts at a push? If things keep going the way they are, I think that some parts of the alps (mainly looking like Germany & Austria will benefit most at the moment, but Switzerland and France will be affected too) will get a good dumping shortly before Christmas...

Still going to get VERY warm in the next few days... sorry...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brighter outlook Carled,
We all watch with interest
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Emergency Ski Kit
snow conditions
 brian
brian
tbh, I'm not overly concerned with the warmth over the next few days. It'll be dry, mostly calm and it'll refreeze overnight. More of a thaw/freeze consolidating thing than a major snow loss thing, imo.

Next week still all over the place run to run. The extremes of very cold but dry or mild'n'wet aren't majorly appealing. Something in the middle would be nice.

The theme of the Low pressure over Iceland spoiling the first attempt by the High to ridge northwards was actually taken up by ECM 00z, but the High makes a quick 2nd attempt and it gets West of the UK by Tuesday.

GFS 06z does something similar about a day later.

The appealing thing about that sort of scenario is more chance of decent snowfall as the colder air arrives.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
should have been a decent amount of consolidation in recent days due to the temp being cold enough to make snow too and once pisted should end up being quite robust for short periods of higher temps.....fingers crossed the patterns stack up in the cold with snow thoughts.

It will officially turn a lot colder and more seasonal from Friday as i am getting a new set of snowtyres fitted...it was just waiting for that to happen to mark the start of winter for good Laughing snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skinutter, I reckon you're right. This weekend will be the start of better things to come weatherwise. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shocked maybe i should have fitted new winter rubber earlier LOL
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hornster, I am predicting Huge Dumps in Tignes over the weekend and up to Tuesday, prior to my arrival in resort for a week of festive fun. Laughing Posivite vibes people, positive vibes Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only had time for a quick look, so if I disagree with others, I'd take their word over mine (probably a good rule of thumb generally, actually). 06z has brought a change in next week (IIRC). The main differences AFAICS, is that GFS wants to build a stronger block over central Europe (UKMO falls between the two camps), and wants to develop a secondary, deeper LP that runs through the UK a day later than ECMWF & UKMO (as brian has pointed out). It seems that all the models have a shallow LP initially and GFS fills this but runs the second one through, whereas the other two models keep it about a bit longer and don't develop the secondary LP. It's noticable how many of the other features are very similar (the deep lows between Canada & Greenland and in the central Atlantic, for instance). I would guess that the upper air charts will give a clue as to the why of the differences, but we can only see the GFS ones.

Incidentally, wetterzentrale now has pressure & 2mT ensembles available:

Geneva:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
It seems that all the models have a shallow LP initially and GFS fills this but runs the second one through, whereas the other two models keep it about a bit longer and don't develop the secondary LP.

The FAX chart for Sunday lunchtime has the LP already over the N Sea and lots of potential there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skanky wrote:
Only had time for a quick look, so if I disagree with others, I'd take their word over mine (probably a good rule of thumb generally, actually). 06z has brought a change in next week (IIRC). The main differences AFAICS, is that GFS wants to build a stronger block over central Europe (UKMO falls between the two camps), and wants to develop a secondary, deeper LP that runs through the UK a day later than ECMWF & UKMO (as brian has pointed out). It seems that all the models have a shallow LP initially and GFS fills this but runs the second one through, whereas the other two models keep it about a bit longer and don't develop the secondary LP. It's noticable how many of the other features are very similar (the deep lows between Canada & Greenland and in the central Atlantic, for instance). I would guess that the upper air charts will give a clue as to the why of the differences, but we can only see the GFS ones.

Again sounds wonderful, i'll have chips and salad with mine, good thread but does anyone wants to put the words

Snowfall, time, dates, cms, into the sentence somewhere that would help me understand . it sounds like there could be a change on the way. The GFS i'm looking at is looking depressing at the moment, not enough colorful lines at the bottom of it (how techincal is that) Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"It's too early to predict the cms of any snowfall dates, let alone the time, and I can't really do that anyway."

How's that?

wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, I'm still struggling with the GFS models because I'm not sure how much they tell us. When we see, the average (control?) climbing over the next 4 days to +5C and falling below the long term average thereafter it only means to me that its unseasonably warm but is this a sea level temperature and is it directly linked to the freezing level? In other words, I don't mind if its relatively warm so long as it snows at resort level, and if its relatively warm during the day, at least it freezes at night. Do the various charts and models help us with this?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin Bell, the temperature shown on those charts is at a height of 850hpa. The "average" sea level pressure is 1000hpa, so 850hpa is at an average of 1500m (1hpa/10m in height increase). However that's an average, and the difference in sea level pressure from the 1000hpa average will affect the actual height. A simplified conversion to FL can be made from that in that (in dry air) temperature declines by 1C/100m. So if 850hpa is at 5C, then a very simple extrapolation will give a FL of 2000m. Other factors will affect this, though.

With regards to temp at the actual ground level, there are GFS 2m temperature charts but as GFS is a global model, it will have a very simplified relief map of the Alps and so will not correspond that closely with what's on the ground. They can give an indication though. The night time charts show the minimum temp in the hours up to the chart time and the daytime charts show the max in the hours up to the chart time. The ensemble I've shown above shows the ensemble 2m temperatures.
latest report
 brian
brian
Colin Bell, the graph skanky posted above shows the temperature 2 metres above the surface at Geneva (which is a few hundred metres above sea level I think).

Normally the temperature charts are useful for estimating freezing levels but due to the fact that it will be a relatively calm area of high pressure over the coming days I think there will be temperature inversions which is going to make it a bit tricky. For instance MeteoSuisse are forecasting a higher max temp in Zermatt than Sion on Thursday. Zermatt is over 1000m higher so you'd expect it to be 5-10 degrees cooler.

Unfortunately I don't know my proverbial from my proverbial in being able to translate the charts into temperatures at various heights on the mountains in such a scenario.
snow report
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know my proverbial from my proverbial in being able to translate the charts into temperatures at various heights on the mountains in such a scenario.

It is a difficult one, and I guess soundings would be useful in this situation.
snow conditions
I have to admit that I am with Crowjersey when it comes to this thread. Basically all I want to know is: Is it looking like it will snow between now and the new year in Meribel? I have the double problem of it being my 30th Birthday whilst I am away, I am not sure I can cope with hitting the big 30 and no snow. wink
ski holidays
Pmercer you read my mind, except im in the Grand Massif for Christmas, im very close to the panic button but i find it really interesting reading the reports from the likes of carled, brian, skanky etc

I'm just about holding the nerves but come Monday i might be screaming "JUST TELL ME IF THERE IS SNOW OR NOT ARRGGHH!!! Mad "

Until then i watch for any developments with fingernails getting shorter and grey hairs appearing by the hour. There's got to be alot people in the same boat as me, just waiting and wondering snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 12-12-06 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CrowJersey wrote:
i find it really interesting reading the reports from the likes of carled, brian, skanky etc

Me too. Keep it up chaps! snowHead
ski holidays
CrowJersey, Im in your boat wink

Flaine 23rd NehNeh

Dont worry mate, I feel we are in for an epic NehNeh
snow conditions
Just come across this site that offers 16 day ski forecast, not sure if its any good but you might want to take a look...
http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoplus/twoforecasts/forski.aspx
though after seeing the Tignes temperatures and lack of snow I wish I hadn't Sad
snow report
Monkfish, dont look good for much snow anywhere, hope is wrong....
ski holidays
http://weather.msn.com/tenday.aspx?wealocations=wc:AUXX0054
latest report
OK Monkfish, horrid site were all doomed if that comes true

mcfcPaul, nice, rain shown for 20/21(75% chance) if true depends on freezing levels i guess but ........who knows

Do i sound desperate or what! clinging on to that ray of hope from somewhere Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Suffering succatash! I know it's what we call "Fantasy Island" (too far ahead to be reliable) but pull out your prayer mats and hope that this set-up comes to pass... Shocked

This would cause some flipping great wintry weather across not just Europe but the UK too... look at that setup with the cold arctic blast getting hauled down... fingers, legs, everything crossed...

(Image uploaded to imageshack for posterity as it'll no doubt be gone on the next run... as proof, here's the direct link to the same chart: http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn3841.png

**Edited to say that with a moment's reflection, it might not be quite so marvellous as it first looked... probably the above set-up would be cold & dry as opposed to snowy, but there is always hope for a bit of snow from conflicting areas of warm/cold air... still it would be better than what we have at present, anyway...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 13-12-06 8:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
carled, yes its been replaced with a Bartlett High. Sad
ski holidays
 brian
brian
carled, either that chart's updated or I'm seriously confused. It's (currently) showing southerlies right across the UK Puzzled

Although I s'pose the Scandi high and the possibility of a battleground could have the SE-England ramping crew a tad excited ....
snow conditions
 brian
brian
lisach, that's not a proper Bartlett, too far south.

Thankfully !
latest report
Just wondering where the weather gurus on snowHead got their expertise from? Is there an idiots guide to interpreting weather charts or forecasting on the internet for us mere mortals? Any books that you would particularly recommend? I'm probably a bit busy to take a meteorology degree just at the minute but I (and it appears others on the site) would like to expand my knowledge on the subject
snow report
 brian
brian
Monkfish, as with metcheck and snow-forecast, theweatheroutlook are recycling the GFS output (the model we spend most time watching here) in a ski-centric fashion.
ski holidays
BGA, check the learning area on www.netweather.tv forum
snow report
Roughly speaking, TWO is currently modeling warm weather in the Alps from Weds 13 to Sat 16 Dec (4 days).

Cold air and modest snow sweeps in from Sun 17 to Tues 26 Dec (10 days).

Temps ramp back up from Weds 27 onward for a few days (2+ days).
snow conditions
For anyone who thinks that global warming is a universal - how about this report dated yesterday

New Snowfall : 5 in 13 cm
24 hour Snowfall : 13 in 33 cm
Temperature : 29°F -2°C
Weather : Broken Clouds
Slope Conditions : Powder / Packed Powder
Base at Mountain base : 102 in 259 cm

Where?

Answers on a postcard to.....

I want snow for Xmas@snowheads.com
snow report
fatbob, Miami?

Thanksmicksup, will look at that later
ski holidays
Smiffo, It's bloody cold here this morning!! At this moment 1115 it is -1 c outside our apartment in town and it is sunny. Last night went to -6 in town. Don't believe everything they say!
latest report
 brian
brian
So this morning, in the shorter term (where it might actually come true) things look a bit better with freezing levels back to reasonably sensible levels by Sunday morning.

After that, we still have the difference skanky explains above.

- ECM has high pressure west of the UK and colder air over the alps with a couple of little lows sinking south (potential for some snowfall next Tuesday/Wednesday).

- GFS has the high building more over the continent, so the colder air is further east and the alps stay dry.

BGA, in my case my interest in weather has been built up from trying to spot nice calm sunny days to ski in Scotland, easier said than done wink

Following the weather forums can be quite educational, theweatheroutlook.co.uk , netweather.tv etc.

However, be warned that at this time of year they are infested with snow rampers desperate for that elusive white Christmas in the Home Counties rolling eyes , mild ramping trolls winding them up, etc. etc.

A lot of pinches of salt are needed wink
snow conditions
Seems to me that all the overnight* models want to build a big HP over Europe after the weekend. ECMWF & GEM still both want to run a LP (little agreement in size and path) across central Europe and drag some cold air down before the HP builds, so that could help trap some cold air under the it. GFS & UKMO also both run the LP through, much further north, but deeper so they still drag the cold air down. Timing looks like Sunday night/Monday but whether there's any snow depends on the LP - which there's little agreement on.

The FAX charts are showing a cold pool over the Med and a shallow LP forming around it, and affecting the Pyrennees and possibly Southern Alps as the week goes on. Might be worth keeping an eye on, but it looks like a weak feature (GFS shows it too).

The UK looks to get more SWlies next week.

*GFS updated to 06 while I was looking at it, which confused me a tad and may have affected my post.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 13-12-06 11:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
SNOWANDTREK - Thanks for that.
I have seen from a webcam that the snow that fell a few days ago is still sticking, which has surprised me.
How are the slopes ? Do you know ? Are they using any cannons ?
Questions questions questions !!
snow conditions
snowandtrek wrote:
Smiffo, It's bloody cold here this morning!! At this moment 1115 it is -1 c outside our apartment in town and it is sunny. Last night went to -6 in town. Don't believe everything they say!

Yeah, you're sitting under HP with cloudless skies and some cold air still around. The warm air is supposed to pass through on Friday. How warm it actually gets (esp. at night) though is another matter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy