Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Best Resort That No-ones Ever Heard Off..

Poster: A snowHead
Craigeburn, NZ - an south island club field that when I skied 10 years ago offered a real different ski experience - no piste bashers, limited electricity, no bar, hair raising rope tows driven by unreliable old tractor, I think 600m vertical, great atmosphere, cheap and friendly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, I don't think it's surprising no one has heard of it! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still not obscure enough - I have certainly heard many tales of the likes of Craigieburn and Broken River from Kiwis. There were lots of Broken River clubbies in Fernie a coupel of years back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

no piste bashers, limited electricity, no bar, hair raising rope tows driven by unreliable old tractor

Sounds like "the worst resort that no-ones ever heard of"! Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
Resort X: Tiny, no one speaks english, small ski school. Suitable for beginners only. Even the locals don't go there.

Obviously we'd all be clamouring for space if we knew its name!

Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, the ice perv One of us should do a trip report so everyone knows just how good it is...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bear Mountain- California,beach in the morning and boarding in the afternoon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crest Voland. Been twice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulm wrote:
Bear Mountain- California,beach in the morning and boarding in the afternoon.

You mean, no Brit's had heard of?

It's pretty well-known in So-Cal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc,
Quote:

It's pretty well-known in So-Cal.

I suppose it really would be for those who live in So Cal.You could say the same for all these resorts if you live somewhere near.

Not so in n.lincs, 9000 miles+ journey proves difficult for most of us!

So-Cal is about the size of the country I live in so for me to find Bear Mountain without Sat Nav was an extraordinary piece of luck whilst on holiday.. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 8-05-07 14:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waynos and fatbob, keep it quite lads. We really don't want too many people knowing about Craigieburn. One of the best lift access off piste areas in the world. http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/index.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a matter of interest is Resort X Gommiswald?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gargellen
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulm wrote:
You could say the same for all these resorts if you live somewhere near.

Not the one I go to! wink

First, it IS small. It only got about 10 runs.

And, even a large majority of skiers living within an hour distance of it haven't heard of it. wink

So it surely qualifies as "small resort that no one has heard of". However, the only thing GOOD about it is the proximity. It's too small and unvaried to be a contender as "best" by any definition. Still, 15 min. from where I live. I guess it's "best" for ME! wink

Actually, Bear is quite a sizable resort, just not a "destination resort". In a good size "area" termed So Cal, which is the size of a small country, it is well known by a substantial population.

In a large country as the US, there're countless such not-so-small resort that no one outside of the local area had heard of. Anyone skied Flagstaff, for example? (Or Wolf Creek, for another wink )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Big Mountain - Montana and Bridger Bowl (which has already been mentioned)
ski holidays
There are places you'd never think of looking . . . Arizona http://www.sunriseskipark.com/ (GoogleE' 33.9745525065,-109.563598331 ) the middle of nowhere but looks like a nice little resort.
snow report
Nickski wrote:
The Big Mountain - Montana and Bridger Bowl (which has already been mentioned)

Jesus not this Big Mountain, Montana....

snow report
iblair,
Quote:
Gargellen
that's not unheard of!
My vote goes to the Dammkar (Mittenwald) or the Laber (Oberammergau).
snow conditions
Weardale.

Yad Moss and Raise are 'discovered' by now. snowHead
snow report
To quote a ski mag which wrote up my fave in a little areas that rock issue," it's a balck hole of an area" N. UT to the south, Jackson & Targhee NE, and Sun valley NW Pebble Creek aka The ROCK, what the piste doesn't have the off-piste has in spades. I may get strung up for mentioning it.

Discovery's Backside a Black Diamond paradise. Turner also in MT ,a nice little secret, great Powder Fridays.

Castle Mtn Alberta another Black Diamond winter dream.

All ski areas not resorts, which makes for more enjoyable less populated skiing.
latest report
La Hoya, Argentina
Powder Springs, BC, Canada (no longer with us. Soon to be Revelstoke Mountain Resort)
Antillanca, Chile
Trafoi, Italy
Moiwa & Rusutsu, Japan
Ohau, New Zealand
Stranda, Norway
White Pine, Wyoming, USA
Aberdare, Wales Very Happy
ski holidays
Rangiwahia Skifield NZ.

I bet 99% of kiwis haven't even heard of that place. Unfortunatly shut now.
snow report
[quote="andy b"]villard de lans - close to grenoble, lovely little town and just enough skiing to make for a great 2 or 3 days./quote]

2 to 3 days... that was about the length of the season at Villard this year. Shocked
latest report
Phoenix Mountain,BC,Canada.
This is a great little local hill with only one lift plus a learner tow. There is decent vertical and it always has great snow.
It is located between Greenwood and Grand Forks. Very Happy
snow conditions
LE PRE
latest report
Hakuba Valley. One of the reasons it's so good is because no one has really heard of it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy