Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs, 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar, I'm looking at booking tomorrow for Plan Peisey for one week from 17th Feb. Been there before in Feb 2005 and snow was excellent, so a little apprehensive this time although the snow in your pictures looks good. I noticed the snow cover below the trees on 'ours' looks a bit bare but I'm thinking that I shouldn't be worrying as much, as on piste skiing should be fine. Can you give me an honest appraisal (make me feel better) as I am booking for a small party of friends.

According to current snow forecasts, there seems to be some snow middle of the week with more predicted for next weekend, so maybe I need some faith wink

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pokemon, On piste conditions are good, although the temperatures of the last couple of days have meant much icier conditions. There are a few places where small holes in the snow are allowing the ground to poke through, but this is entirely restricted to areas below 1800m which directly face the afternoon sun (and the pisteurs are doing a good job of repairing this damage to keep it to a minimum). Runs which are pisted are fine for most of the day, but bump runs are becoming increasingly difficult (for me at least Wink) because they are now mostly mis-shapen icy lumps. Lower runs to villages such as Pesiey are currently very icy in the morning, and very soft in the afternoons. Some of these runs rely on artificial snow and pisteur creativity, but skiing down to the lower villages is no problem. The forecast is for cooler weather over the next few days, which should allow the cannons to run for a bit longer than they did yesterday, and it seems to be looking hopeful for fresh snow at the end of this week (GFS also seems to indicate a little bit of snow tomorrow?). I'm sure that this will make an immediate improvement to on-piste conditions as just about all pistes have a reasonable base on which new snow will settle.

Off-piste seems to be a different story. All the easily accessible off-piste is completely tracked out, and is mostly lumpy crust from the passage of many skiers/boarders and the freeze-thaw of recent weather. There are very occasional patches of softer snow, but I've found these as a matter of luck rather than judgement. My view is that the stuff in the trees isn't skiable safely because of thin snow depths, but more experienced off-piste skiers may disagree. According to fellow snowHead BernardC if you are prepared to hike there are good off-piste conditions to be found: he was in St Foy for a couple of days last week and skinned for an hour to Foglietta and skied virtually untracked powder down the north face. So if you hire a guide and are prepared to work for it there are good off-piste possibilities available.

In summary, limited off-piste enjoyment unless you hike. On-piste conditions are OK; by no means a very good year, but equally not a very bad year either. I've read the doom and gloom in the press and here on snowHeads, but so far this season none of this tallies with my experience in Les Arcs or elsewhere in the Tarentaise. I'm off to Tignes today, so will compare conditions later.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, My husband did the north face of Bellecote & also down to Champney last week off piste with a guide, & conditions were pretty good.

I agree, conditions on piste were fine the last 2 weeks - despite what you read. I'll try & post some pics later when back from work.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon, Just back from 2 weeks in Plan Peisey, & it was great. The small dump in the first week covered bare patches, & subsequently its been cold enough at night to make enough snow to keep the rruns back down to resort pretty good - despite warm daytime temps. They've got some new model of piste basher apparently that transforms pistes overnight.

I hope you have a great time.

BTW has anyone else enjoyed that new restaurant in ARC 1600 - Chalet de l'Arcelles?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon, do you need some cheap flight tickets?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

On-piste conditions are OK; by no means a very good year, but equally not a very bad year either.

I'm just back from Arc 1800 and, compared to the last few weeks' postings in various threads, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the snow is all a bit hard and icy but its there and holding up to the warm weather in the main.

I needed to review my rather limited mogul technique though, with the Ours run to 1950 having some boiler plate like lumps to deal with. Highlight runs of the week were Refuge from Grand Col (and the off piste next to it), where the snow stayed excellent all week, and Boisses (I think) down to Vallandry which, despite having a stated pitch of 46 degrees, they managed to piste bash most nights!

Hats off to the staff and machinery there. A great resort and superb for young families, despite the lack of green runs (the blues include plenty of forest roads and wide easy cruises).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, geri, Thanks for the info...sounds good. Most of us are on piste skiers, so should be great.

marc gledhill, I think we are OK but can you let me know the details as I may have friend who will fly out separately.

Thanks to all
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very quick update: after several days of blue skies it has finally clouded over, and there are one or two flakes of snow drifting down at the moment. The local weather forecast is for 10cm of fresh snow today, and more snow for the next several days. According to one local they are hoping for/expecting 50cm by the start of next week. Good for the start of half-term next week Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I was speaking to John Thomas at New Gen last night.

They expected snow by the weekend at the lastest, and then some into next week. Some were saying it would be several light dustings, others thought a few bigger storms may emerge.

Does that ring true?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, marc gledhill,

I was chatting to a local in Montalbert yesterday (by e mail) and he says some snow today a little the rest of the week and a storm Friday/Saturday night. Toofy Grin
Probably taken from the TV weather forecast wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, marc gledhill,

I was chatting to a local in Montalbert yesterday (by e mail) and he says some snow today a little the rest of the week and a storm Friday/Saturday night. Toofy Grin
Probably taken from the TV weather forecast wink

That's the same as the local forecast on Les Arcs Radio, presumably from a Meteo France forecast? It's still snowing lightly, and has been since about 9am. Not sure where the snowline is, but the couple of times we skied to Vallandry it was snowing there. Not making much difference on piste, yet, although there's a superficial layer of soft snow building up off-piste which at least stops the skis from making that horrid scratchy noise Smile

marc gledhill, are you having lessons with John? He's a top guy. Say hello to him from me (Rob Rees).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Looking at Les Arc using the Montalbert webcam it looks like it's going to snow very heavily any second Very Happy

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/montalbert/webcam/webcam_panoramique.htm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Looking at Les Arc using the Montalbert webcam it looks like it's going to snow very heavily any second Very Happy

http://www.trinum.com/ibox/montalbert/webcam/webcam_panoramique.htm

Spot on! About 15 minutes ago it suddenly got much heavier Smile Just about to head back out to the slopes after lunch...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, aint technology wonderful Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, geri, Thanks for info etc. I've now booked and the proud owner of a weeks holiday in a chalet in Plan Peisey on Feb 17th, with my friends Very Happy. Shame its the second half term week as it will be busier than I'm used to but its still skiing! anyway I can see that the snow is continually improving.
snow report
A little bit of snow today, but only 5-10cm. It's made things a bit prettier with a dusting of snow on the trees and some of the bare patches beginning to be recovered. There's fresh snow on piste, but by the end of the day it's been scraped into piles of soft snow interspersed with icy patches. Forecast is for continued light snow for a day or two, then heavier snow over the weekend.

On piste above Peisey today
latest report
pokemon, I'm sure you'll have a great time Smile
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, aint technology wonderful Toofy Grin

Sadly the heavy snow didn't last for too long, and was replaced by heavy cloud meaning visibilty above 1900m was awful. Poor visibility + tired legs = time to stop, so I packed in for the day at 4.15. Tomorrow should be a bit nicer.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Oh shame, are on hols or working from home? If the latter at least you'll get ahead of the workload Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Oh shame, are on hols or working from home? If the latter at least you'll get ahead of the workload Toofy Grin

Bit of both really. Holiday with my brother-in-law but also doing some work, keeping up with email, etc.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
...... are you having lessons with John? He's a top guy. Say hello to him from me (Rob Rees).

Was on the phone again with him last night - he says hello back snowHead
ski holidays
A wonderful day's skiing today Smile

Yesterday's snow amounted to about 10cm, slightly more in places where it was windblown. This was just enough to freshen the pistes and to transform the off-piste from lumpy and crusty to very enjoyable but still a bit tricky. The snowline went down to about 1000m, but only a very light dusting at that altitude. During today it has snowed lightly on and off, which has helped to improve conditions. When we had lunch in Peisey (terrific burgers at the Flying Squirrel Wink) it was snowing quite hard at 1pm. The local forecast is for more snow for the next few days, quite heavy on Friday. This will help enormously for the start of the half-term period this Saturday. As I type it's still snowing Smile

With the improved conditions we spent most of the day skiing off-piste. In the morning it was through the trees above Pesiey to make the most of the new snow and the flat light we had at the start of the day. After lunch we headed across to Arc 1800 and skied around the Frettes chairlift where we found some excellent snow directly below the chair, mainly between the Col des Frettes, Froid Fontaine, Carreley and Vagere pistes. For the last couple of hours the sun broke through and we skied lovely snow in sunny conditions with the Altibar restaurant playing Frankie Goes to Hollywood and AC/DC at full blast! It really was a blissful two hours! Smile Smile Here's a few more photos to show conditions. Apologies that I appear in most of them, but these are the best ones to show how the snow is.

In the trees above Peisey

View from the Col des Frettes looking down the Tarentaise valley

A sequence of photos off-piste between Carreley and Vagere pistes

snow report
rob@rar,
Great report and nice photos glad you are getting the good snow at last. Must admit my idea of bliss is not AC/DC at full blast though. wink
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Must admit my idea of bliss is not AC/DC at full blast though. wink

It was right for the moment Smile In my defence I listen to a range of stuff (off to see a friend sing in Madam Butterfly this weekend, for example).
latest report
Snowing quite heavily here at the moment. Maybe three centimetres in the last couple of hours at 1800m. So far this season this is par for the course, as I leave the resort tomorrow!
snow conditions
still snowing outside the Flying Squirrel in Plan Peisey. Luvverly Jubberly!
snow report
Another 8 weeks til we're back flying_squirrel, rob@rar, sob - let's hope it continues in the same vein as this week for that whole period!
ski holidays
Snowing quite hard at the moment, probably 10cm or slightly more since yesterday at resort level. The local forecast is for heavier snow over the next day or two. Conditions will be much improved. Don't expect waist deep powder, but the entire domain should be open including runs to the lower villages, and icy patches confined to only the busiest piste intersections. If you're heading to Les Arcs for half term hope you have a great holiday Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, looks great - nice pics thanks for sharing up the minute reports!
snow conditions
rob@rar, keep up the good work and reports! the streaming webcam at the top of arpette is telling a very good story as well snowHead snowHead
snow report
doogo wrote:
rob@rar, keep up the good work and reports! the streaming webcam at the top of arpette is telling a very good story as well snowHead snowHead

Sadly no more reports from me until mid-March as I'm about to fly back to London today. It continues to snow hard and I'm having to put chains on the car for the first time in a couple of seasons, despite the fact that the access road from my garage was ploughed clear at 6.30 this morning. The 10cm I quoted earlier seems very much on the conservative side of guesstimates now Smile
snow report
Still snowing heavily, and apparently settling in Bourg St Maurice. I'm stuck here for another night because Heathrow can't cope with the small amount of snow that's falling in West London at the moment Evil or Very Mad It really is a Mickey Mouse airport Sad
latest report
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:
Still snowing heavily, and apparently settling in Bourg St Maurice. I'm stuck here for another night because Heathrow can't cope with the small amount of snow that's falling in West London at the moment Evil or Very Mad It really is a Mickey Mouse airport Sad

Oh woe is you ! Shouldn't that be a Very Happy rather than a Evil or Very Mad ?????
snow report
Poor Rob - you have had your share of transport stresses this year eh.....
mmmm not sure I like the idea of all this snow..... especially down to Bourg..... twill play havoc with our builders progress.... wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, But where are you stuck? Airport or Les Arcs Toofy Grin
latest report
brian wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Oh woe is you ! Shouldn't that be a Very Happy rather than a Evil or Very Mad ?????

Maybe, hadn't planned on skiing today but if it clears up a bit (very bad visibility at the moment) I'll try to get a couple of hours in this afternoon.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, But where are you stuck? Airport or Les Arcs Toofy Grin

Les Arcs. BA sent a text message to say my flight was cancelled. Next available flight is tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Next available flight is tomorrow morning.

No Ski train?
snow report
Hope no one else was needing to get in your appartment Rob... What an absolute pain when you've geared yourself up to go.
We've had 2000 schools shut today... It really is unbelievable how the UK grinds to a halt. Hope you get sorted out a.s.a.p.
snow conditions
matthew wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Next available flight is tomorrow morning.

No Ski train?

We have a hire car from Geneva so need to go back to the airport. It was either stay in resort for one more night or head to the airport and try to find a nearby hotel. The comfort of staying in resort won!

jayne durham staying and extra night isn't a problem, but it was very frustrating as we were just about to leave when we got a text and email confirming the flight cancellation Sad It would have been some consolation if it was heavy snow at this end of the journey which had caused the problem, but light snow in London being responsible is just galling. Surely BAA could afford a small fleet of snowploughs for the rare occasions when the airfield at LHR needs clearing? First available flight is tomorrow morning as everything was full for the rest of the day from GVA to LHR and LGW. Even the wait lists were full.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy