Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs, 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
The resort doesn't open until the 16th December, so not quite a full snow report yet, but I did go for a short walk up the nursery slopes to about 1900m. There's about 30cm of new snow at 1800m, but not much base to the snowpack. Some of the snow cannons were running this morning, with temperatures just below freezing and getting colder. It was snowing this morning, but has now stopped. There doesn't seem to be much new snow forecast for the next week or so, but temperatures should be low enough to allow the snow cannons to run.

Some photos from the above the Chantel part of the resort, looking up to Vagere, Golf and Stade pistes.

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent photos Rob
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been looking at the webcams this week 'cause of all the horror stories on the telly, Thanks Rob you've restored my faith in the snow fairy !! Its looking good, can't wait...... wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over the hill looks OK too Rob:

http://www.arc1950.com/webcam.php
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

How long are you staying - I am out on Tuesday....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great photos.

Is it February yet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC wrote:
rob@rar, .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

How long are you staying - I am out on Tuesday....

Sorry mate, flying back to London on Tuesday! Back out on the 21st for 10 days if you're still around?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW wrote:
Over the hill looks OK too Rob:

http://www.arc1950.com/webcam.php

It was too long a walk from here to see over the hill, but I'm sure it looks much nicer now. We've had a little bit more snow on and off all day, although only a few centimetres.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First hand report of the opening weekend at Les Arcs posted in PG's blog at mysnowsports. Sounds like rock skis are the order of the day. Time to dust off my old 1080s...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the link rob@rar, interesting reading, especially as travelling out to Vallandry on Thursday. Have to say not too depressed - while I would of course like more snow, it looks and sounds as if there will be enough to ski on piste for the week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
... it looks and sounds as if there will be enough to ski on piste for the week.

Yes, and with cold weather for the next four or five days there will be plenty of time to use cannons to help with coverage on the busiest pistes.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Indeed - I'll be skiing mainly with twin 6 year old boys this year, so groomed pistes are all that are required. Maybe few years I'll be looking for Powder again, but then they will be old enough I may consider US again.

Whatever - I can't wait until Thursday and we start our trip their. I love the build up this week, getting car sorted etc and the trip through France with a few stops and decent meals.

Will take laptop, so if find hotspot will report back snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris wrote:

I think Will's place, the Flying Squirrel, has internet access. Not sure if it's wifi or not, and how much the charges might be (free for snowHeads would be nice, if you're listening Will Smile).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Boris wrote:

I think Will's place, the Flying Squirrel, has internet access. Not sure if it's wifi or not, and how much the charges might be (free for snowHeads would be nice, if you're listening Will Smile).

Also, if you are taking it out and about!, Radisson hotel in 1950 has free wifi access - ask at reception for a password. Most bars in the village also have paid access.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My mate is over at Arc 1950 right now. He was really miserable at the prospect of going over before he got there. Just had a text from him bursting with enthusiasm, says that the conditions are fabulous, much better than he expected and it's really quiet. So anyone heading out to Les Arcs over Christmas, you'll be fine.
snow report
We are staying in Arcs 2000 at Chalet Altitude. Does anyone know the best way for us to prebook ski hire as we get there late on the 30th but kids are booked into ski school 9am on 31st

Ta.
Dave
snow conditions
DaveB wrote:
We are staying in Arcs 2000 at Chalet Altitude. Does anyone know the best way for us to prebook ski hire as we get there late on the 30th but kids are booked into ski school 9am on 31st

Ta.
Dave

I'm staying there in mid-January Very Happy Let me know what its like please! I booked my ski hire as part of the package with the ski company as we kind of tagged on the end of friends group, sorry not much help I know
latest report
DaveB, welcome to snowHeads!

You can pre-book skis online with Ski Set who have a few outlets in Arc 2000, including one in Chalet des Neiges which I think is close to Chalet Altitude (but check this before you book). You can find a discount code for online booking with Ski Set here.
snow report
Quote:

So anyone heading out to Les Arcs over Christmas, you'll be fine.

Well that's good news - setting off tomorrow - HURRAH Cool snowHead Cool
snow conditions
looks fantastic

heading to 1950 on saturday so the snow is looking up
ski holidays
Tom Lowe wrote:
looks fantastic

heading to 1950 on saturday so the snow is looking up

You can't fool us, your name must really be Tom Baker.
snow report
An update from PG
Quote:
A few days of cold temps have allowed the resort to produce a fair quantity of artificial snow, so since the blog on sunday the condition at the bottom of runs at lower altitude has improved.

Slightly warmer today, but still cold enough for snowmaking - although that said, looking up at the mountain and Arc 1600, there's nothing happening right now. Does make you wonder about the extent of the water reserves ....

They finally managed to open a slope back down to Peisey Vallandry today - not sure which one, but it was a red, so with the current hard snow, that won't help the beginners and early intermediates. Still, it's better than nothing...

Plenty of water is going to be need in the French Alps, as well. As things stand long range forecasts suggest we'll barely see a cloud for at least ten days, perhaps not before 2007!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
DaveB, welcome to snowHeads!

You can pre-book skis online with Ski Set who have a few outlets in Arc 2000, including one in Chalet des Neiges which I think is close to Chalet Altitude (but check this before you book). You can find a discount code for online booking with Ski Set here.

Thanks
Do any of the shops open early as we get there late on the 30th but the kids are in ski school 9.15am on the 31st.
latest report
DaveB wrote:
Thanks
Do any of the shops open early as we get there late on the 30th but the kids are in ski school 9.15am on the 31st.

I'm not 100% certain, but the local Ski Set to me in Arc 1800 seems to be open by 8.30am at the beginning of the week (possibly earlier, but that's the time I visit the next door bakery Smile).
snow conditions
Guys
you can always try contacting sylvian at http://equilibres.free.fr/

He runs a shop in 2000 ( on the parade facing the slopes) that is one of the best ( no, no kickbacks!), and is open late on the Saturday, early Sunday. A little more chaotic than your usual suave Frenchmen, but does the business.

Emails accepted in English: tell him you are looking for a deal ("advised by fellow snowheads " etc.), you'll get one...
snow report
Skied a bit around Arc 2000 and above Pesiey/Vallandry today. Lovely blue skies all day, although a bitingly cold wind in the morning. Lower slopes are mostly closed, although key pistes for getting around the domain are open. Upper slopes are OK, but are mostly hard-packed or icy. Surprisingly there are relatively few stones around given how thin the snow cover is. I took my rock skis our today assuming I'd be crunching into stones all over the place, but tomorrow will be back on my slalom skis because they have much sharper edges. I didn't ski below 1800m so not sure what the pistes are like down to Peisey. Anything which is close to south facing is struggling with snow cover, so it's a good plan to avoid those slopes if you can. Some areas (eg Aiguille Rouge, Grand Col) seem to be held back for Christmas.

Unsurprisingly it's very quiet around the domain, even with piste and lift closures. I think that when more people arrive for the Christmas week, starting tomorrow, the piste conditions are going to deteriorate rapidly as any loose snow is scrapped off the piste. More snow is needed.
ski holidays
Praying to the snow Gods as I type. 4 weeks and counting...
ski holidays
Much warmer today, especially once the wind had eased by lunchtime. Made for a great afternoon's skiing on piste, as the hardpack of yesterday softened a bit (although probably not so good for maintaining the snow this week Sad)

Today was very quiet around the resort, and much more of the domain was open including the A. Rouge and the Grand Col. Tomorrow sees the Christmas crowds hit the slopes for the first time - hope the snow holds up, although I think things are going to get pretty scraped on piste.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, ..... Happy Christmas ...... moderation at all times.....! Toofy Grin
snow report
Just had a text from my brother who arrived in Peisey Vallandry at 01.30 this morning! Had a great days skiing on quiet pistes. Toofy Grin Said snow was good - although wouldnt have wanted to be off piste (most unlike him! Shocked )
snow report
Much busier today, with the advent of the Christmas crowds, although almost no lift queues (except for Plan Bois - grrr, replacing it with a six-pack can't happen soon enough). Another warm day (+4 degrees at 1800m at lunchtime) and lovely blue skies. Some wind at altitude, so Grand Col and A. Rouge were a bit blustery first thing, and the snow was quite windswept. Most of the Les Arcs domain seemed to be open, with the exception of some of the lower pistes. The increased number of skiers has already begun to take their toll on snow quality, with busy intersections swept clear of loose snow and a few stones coming through, but lots of enjoyable skiing to be had especially when the warm temps soften the hardpack a little. South facing terrain is loosing snow quickly - felt quite spring like at times this afternoon.

More snow is needed. I'm off to see Santa this evening, so I'll ask him...
snow report
HAPPY CHRISTMAS to all Snowheads, from The Flying Squirrel Bar.
Not really a snow report as I haven't even got my skis out of the cellar yet, but I hear the pistes are surprisingly OK. All the holiday makers seem reasonably happy with things from what I gather in the pub.

Put it this way, I'd rather be out here for Christmas, even if the snow is a bit sketchy.
Locals talking about snow towards the end of the week... fingers crossed!
latest report
flying_squirrel, I've not skied down to Peisey yet, any idea what's open and skiable so we can pop in to say hello?
snow conditions
Not so busy today, perhaps everyone was at home unwrapping presents. Another glorious day from a weather point of view - mild temps and blue skies, and this time no wind. Very icy in parts, and a few more stones coming through. Most of the domain remains open, which I think is a credit to the pisteurs given how little snow we've had. Best of the skiing seems to be above Peisey, where the warm temps and sunny aspect softens the hardpack.

Lots of skiing Santas around the place, but every time I tried to take a photo they would ski away. So you'll have to make do with a photo of jane near the TransArc mid station.

snow report
Thanks a lot for all your updates, Rob. My family and I are due out on Saturday, (30th), for a week, and I've been following this thread after stumbling on it a couple of days ago. The picture you took by the TransArc has made my day after seeing that there is actually some snow around!

Keep snapping away, I'll be logging in to check conditions. Thanks again - Andy.
ski holidays
andyt83, welcome to snowHeads! Glad the snow reports have been useful - although conditions aren't brilliant there's plenty of skiing to be had, and with a bit of luck you should get a little bit of fresh snow at some point during your stay. We leave on the 30th, so I'll post a report or two before then.
snow conditions
Another quick snow report: skied to Peisey this morning, quite impressive that you can ski all the way down, but icy with lots of little stones on the piste towards the bottom. Still not too busy around the resort except for a couple of lift bottlenecks. Some nice snow from the top of the Clocheret lift above 1600, mainly because not many people go up there for some reason.

Looking up the Clocheret red:

From the Clocheret looking down the Tarentaise. La Plagne in the distance, and a scarily high snow line of south facing slopes:

Me, above Arc 1600:
ski holidays
Thanks again for the report, Rob. Great photo's as well.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Some nice snow from the top of the Clocheret lift above 1600, mainly because not many people go up there for some reason.

Maybe becazuse it's the slowest lift in the resort? I only rode it once and yes the snow was good, but not good enough to merit a second ride Wink
latest report
Nice sunnies, rob@rar, but was it the worry about snow conditions that turned your hair completely white? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy