Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs, 2006/07

Poster: A snowHead
nbt wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Some nice snow from the top of the Clocheret lift above 1600, mainly because not many people go up there for some reason.

Maybe becazuse it's the slowest lift in the resort? I only rode it once and yes the snow was good, but not good enough to merit a second ride Wink

Laughing yup, it does take forever to reach the top! There's some great skiing from that lift (a black, a red and a blue, plus some gentle off-piste) so if the speed of the lift keeps people away perhaps that's a good thing Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi wrote:
Nice sunnies, rob@rar, but was it the worry about snow conditions that turned your hair completely white? Laughing

Nah, it was the shock of finding nice snow off the Clocheret lift Wink It's a bit too warm for a hat, but as it was a Christmas present...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, ......... if the hat fits ........ Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions above 2100m are pretty good, but below that fairly marginal. The snow line overnight seemed to be around 2200m, but the fresh snow is very heavy and wet. On piste conditions are good, but off piste is very heavy and sticky. It's like skiing in April rather than January! A few photos - apologies for the quality, but it's been very overcast this morning.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Is the person in the light blue jacket (middle pic) about to go A over T? Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
awksquawk wrote:
rob@rar, Is the person in the light blue jacket (middle pic) about to go A over T? Smile

Not that I noticed (I would have taken a few more photos if they had Wink). Looks like they're just leaning into a turn. The snow is quite soft so it's possible to get some great angles without feeling like you're going to loose your outside edge Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in Peisey on Sunday for a week. My previous holiday was in Meribel last April, so I should feel at home!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a wonderful afternoon's skiing Smile Cloud base was around 2400m so it was tricky trying to find a compromise between good snow and good visibility. Spent all afternoon on two pistes (Golf and Clocheret) and had them more or less to myself. Found a brilliant mix of snow conditions which was great for playing around and doing exercises (adjusting timing, stance, and experimenting with pressure, edging and leg rotation). Snow conditions varied from small, slushy bumps, soft pisted snow, heavy off-piste and most things in between. It was good snow for giving you confidence to get on your edges and letting the skis run, although the conditions would punish you if you tried to twist the ski in the soft snow (lots of people catching edges and getting dumped sideways).

Tomorrow is forecast to be sunny and even warmer. Head high is the order of the day, so I'm going up to Tignes/Val hopefully to watch the downhill, but if that gets cancelled I'll ski around the Espace Killy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's snowing! Started about 20 minutes ago and is coming down quite heavy. I can't work out where the snowline is, but the thermometer on my balcony (at 1800m) reads +1.4° so I guess the snow line can't be too far below me.

I didn't see any forecast with snow in it for today. Has somebody been doing a vigorous snowdance while sacrificing a goat?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Funny that as I'm tucking in right now Toofy Grin

The latest forecast that I've seen shows the heavier falls on Monday night/Tuesday morning, with about 30cm and the snow line at 1000m and falling! Let's hope everyone get's some decent falls. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It snowed quite heavily for an hour, but the stopped with just a few flakes on and off during the day. It didn't make much more than a cosmetic difference to slopes above 1900m.

A good day skiing, made somewhat more challenging by poor visibilty from time to time as the cloud came in. Snow conditions varied with altitude and aspect, ranging from heavy spring snow on lower slopes, icy and bumpy at medium altitudes and good quality at the top of the domain. If you are prepared to look for it there is nice skiing to be had. It has cooled considerably over the last 24 hours, with local forecast seeing heavy snow and bitterly cold temps from tomorrow evening.

Had an enjoyable day skiing with JimW and his group. Covered a fair amount of terrain looking for good snow and good visibility, from first lift to last. Almost missed the links back to 1800 (was half way up the Aiguille Rouge when I realised I had 15 minutes to catch the lifts to 1800!) - after a long day's skiing the thigh burn as I scooted back to home was quite intense Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pistes were much icier today than they were in the last three or four days. The warm weather over the weekend followed by a proper freeze over night have taken their toll on snow quality. Pistes below 1800m are all man-made thin snow, with lots of patches of ground poking through. Above this level snow cover is pretty good with most pistes open, although everything below about 2800m is quite icy with mounds of granular snow to trip up skiers not paying much attention to where they are going.

Noticeably colder today, and temps dropped as the day went on and the cloud cover thickened. The forecast snow will improve conditions significantly, so fingers crossed for a decent dump.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is there anybody in the resort that can give an update on conditions? Let's hope it's still snowing hard snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've left the resort at lunchtime as it was just starting to snow. By the time I was at Annecy is was snowing quite hard, and at Geneva it was belting down with some of the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen. Hopefully this bodes well for snow at resort level Smile Sorry I can't give a firsthand report, but I'm sure Scooter will oblige soon Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Rob. I 've seen the pics posted by David Murdoch from Geneva and it looks set in for the night. I'll have a laptop with me so will post updates during the week. Hope everyone enjoys the snow snowHead Razz
snow report
Scooter wrote:
Thanks Rob. I 've seen the pics posted by David Murdoch from Geneva and it looks set in for the night. I'll have a laptop with me so will post updates during the week. Hope everyone enjoys the snow snowHead Razz

They closed the runway at GVA for 30 minutes to run the fleet of snowploughs, then another delay to de-ice our plane so I was a bit late getting back. Hope you have a smoother journey tomorrow.
latest report
Scooter, first sign of snow on the 1950 webcam was at 3pm, not much doing for an hour but by 5pm it was going quite well and last shot of the night at 8pm looked pretty good as well.
ski holidays
Bungle, Thanks. When it's a nightime fall it's difficult to keep track on what's happening. Just have to be patient and see what the morning reports have to say.
ski holidays
Scooter, that webcam updates at 7am (UK time) tomorrow - viewable here. I'm at 1950 from Saturday so very happy to see the snow today - should stay cold and keep it in reasonable condition for a few days as well.
snow report
Bungle, I'm off to 1800 in about 2 hours time Razz So relieved to see some fresh snow and cold temps. Have a great time snowHead
snow report
Scooter, excellent timing on your trip - that webcam has failed to update so far this morning but www.ski-lesarcs.com is reporting 40cm of fresh snow at 3000, 25cm at 2000 and 15cm at 1800 and -12c at Arc 2000 so staying cold at the moment.
snow report
From the unluckiest man (not) in the resort...

We left this morning, having our bus and funicular journey delayed a bit by all the loverly fresh powder that no doubt is being enjoyed by everyone out there...but not us.

Was about 6 - 8" of fresh in the 2000 bowl , a bit of wind blow, but still looked a much better alternative to what had been on offer previously.
Having said that, although the light was flat a lot of the time, and no, you couldn't really get down to 1600, it wasn't a bad 4 days out there. Considerably better than had been led to believe from both this forum and the press in general - A big up to the pisteuers (sp?) for doing a fantastic job in the whole area.
Sure, mainly hard and icy, but if you found the right piste and the right time of day, perfectly acceptable skiing for almost 80% of the resort.

Temp today at 7 am was below -4C ( my ears were stinging, and the medical profession tell me that that means a max. of minus 4)

So no complaints, just jealousy really that I had to leave just when the snows came..

Fun skiing with Rob, and we got over to see Will in the Squirrel... although skis did take a bit of a hammering on the mud path that was Peisey.

But I suspect all that is behind them now. Snow down to the valley floor.

So, with cold temps, good snow pack, probably set fair for at least a couple of weeks, if not more.

Actually, the funicular 'incident' was a bit scary - something caused it to hit the emergency brakes at full tilt, spilling passengers and bags everywhere. Could have resulted in injuries, and we have already discussed amongst my group, suitable arrangements of soft bags and parents for maximum protection when we will be using it next time out with small children. Just in case.

No real explanation other than " technical fault", it then took 40 mins to get down the normal 5 min journey. Despite this, we then saw them continue to run the service, but still going v.v. slowly. Not at all sure what was going on. Anyone with insider info, love to hear the news.
snow report
Arrived Wednesday evening after the fresh snows Razz Had a great day today on fantastic pistes and sunny weather, although temps were very cold at about -13 at 1800m. Luckily there was little wind so conditions could not have been better.

The pistes above 1600/1800 from the top of the transarc were excellent, however, found the lower pistes at Peisey Vallandry still a liitle thin and icy. Still maybe I'm being picky!!

The cannons are still running on the resort pistes so as long as it remains cold the base should remain good. The amounts of fresh snow reported on the official Les Arcs site look about right. Anyone coming out this weekend should have a great time. snowHead
ski holidays
Scooter, that'll be me then NehNeh

After a god awful last day in the office (how come going away for a week simply involves crushing the week's work into the days either side of it?), I am now chilling on the Portsmouth ferry, taking advantage of the free web kiosks to catch up with snowHead

Aleisurely drive tomorrow with the kiddies and a night in Chambery, then supermarket, slopes, apartment on Saturday with any luck.

Save some fresh for me Little Angel
snow conditions
sproggski, .......happy days.... snowHead
ski holidays
Any news from Les Arcs?

I am there for a week from Saturday.
snow report
Conditions pretty good on piste from what I've heard. I'll do a first hand snow report on Friday.
snow conditions
BernardC, saw your "Hunt the Squirrel" letter in Ski and Board ! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob, Thanks for the directions to the FS. For anyone that has yet to visit the FS, the burgers are recommended Very Happy I've just got back today from a week at 1800 and can confirm that the piste conditions are good.

Wife and daughter covered most of the Les Arcs domain and some of La Plagne and found all to be excellent snowHead There were a few patches at resort level or below that were a little worn, but overall nothing like the gloom and doom that appears on some posts!

For those of you in Les Arcs, have fun!!
snow conditions
Very enjoyable conditions in Les Arcs today, including the runs down to the low parts of the domain at Peisey and Vallandry. Snow was mostly in good condition on piste, although until midday there were lots of small icy patches which meant you had to keep your wits about you when skiing quickly. In the afternoon the snow had softened in the spring-like temperatures and it really was blissful skiing. It was perfect weather all day, and I'm now sitting on the balcony watching the parapentes go overhead Smile Just about all the domain is open, with almost no lift queues and the calm before the half-term storm on piste. Temperatures are due to cool slightly over the next day or two, and hopes of fresh snow from the middle of next week.

Had a great day meeting up with several snowHeads. Shadowed a lesson with John from New Generation this morning, then to the Flying Squirrel for a fab burger and to meet Skanky and BernardC. Skied with the guys this afternoon, and off to La Plagne this evening to partake of some of Bernard's culinary adventures.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info!
snow report
Good conditions today, once more under blue skies. Early it was fairly icy, but softened as the sun warmed the snow. Skied mainly above Arc 2000, on the lower half of the Aiguille Rouge, Grand Col and underneath the Bois de l'Ours chair. Off piste was mostly crusty but occasional patches of soft snow could be found. Lots of bumps to play with, at the start of the day these were mean and icy, but got softer and nicer as the day wore on. Very quiet around the resort and on the mountain as it's transfer day. Some photos to show the conditions:

Back of the 2000 bowl, underneath the new chairlift

From the top of the Varet gondola, looking up to Col de Chal

The off-piste across the traverse between Varet and Grand Col

Lunchtime in Arc 1950. Had a great pizza in Valentino's

Off-piste somewhere to the side of Grand Col

Anyone heading out to Les Arcs soon should be reassured that there is great skiing available, with potentially improved conditions if the forecast snow arrives later this week.
snow report
Fab pictures Rob - looks lovely out there!!! We wont be out for a bit coz we are off to Zermatt for half term.. But hey - getting really excited coz our appartment is up to the roof now.. The other English couple buying there sent us some pictures. Hopefully from next season we'll be able to come and play more!!!!!! Have a great trip. xxx
latest report
rob@rar, Thanks Rob, leave some for us in a couple of weeks please Toofy Grin Meantime enjoy Laughing and keep the reports coming!
snow report
jayne durham wrote:
... getting really excited coz our appartment is up to the roof now.. The other English couple buying there sent us some pictures. Hopefully from next season we'll be able to come and play more!!!!!!

Excellent news. Bet you can't wait! Have a great time in Zermatt Smile
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar, Thanks Rob, leave some for us in a couple of weeks please Toofy Grin Meantime enjoy Laughing and keep the reports coming!

I've ordered some more snow for you. Should arrive towards the end of the week Wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, I think your photos prove the press are right and there is no snow Shocked rolling eyes

At the football today a mate of mine was laughing as there was no snow !! I just smiled sweetly before telling him to go forth and multiply !! NehNeh
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
rob@rar, I think your photos prove the press are right and there is no snow Shocked rolling eyes

I know! It's so bad that people should cancel their ski holiday and book a cruise instead. It's just so horrid out here that I'm beside myself with disappointment... Wink
latest report
Yet another lovely day weather wise, although mild temperatures are doing the snow no favours. Quite icy in the morning, softening up in the afternoon heat. It reached 7°C on my balcony at 1800m today, so spring like conditions across the domain. Slightly busier on the slopes and one or two lift queues, but nothing more than three or four minutes long. Most pistes and most lifts are open, so loads of skiing available. Even the runs down to the lower villages are doing OK, but south facing slopes are suffering more and more. The snowline on the south-facing side of the Tarentaise is shockingly high Sad

Had a great lesson with John Thomas from New Generation in Vallandry. He was able to hone in on a couple of fundamental aspects of my skiing which need improvement, suggested a couple of useful drills to focus on those aspects and has a great teaching style: very encouraging, but also letting you know what needs to be improved. Definitely recommended Smile

Some photos from around the domain today:

Good snow conditions on the black 'écureuils' above Peisey

Looking down the red 'ours', also above Peisey

The snow park above Arc 1600 was in full swing today, including a couple of very large table top jumps

Final run of the day on the black 'fond blanc' with some unnecessarily large moguls on it!
ski holidays
jayne durham,

Jayne

Your block does seem to be making progress

Is your apt in the block on the Lidl side

Didn't see a lot of activity around it last week but progress has been made since christmas

Will you be over in the summer?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy