Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naming and Shaming the Ski Club of Great Britain

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Someone has done this to cast either themself, or the ski club in a better light

well they failed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Someone has done this to cast either themself, or the ski club in a better light

well they failed!

only here, where we're discussing the issue, or on the ski club forum itself. most people will not access either place unfortunately Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's not simply an issue of copyright, there's an issue of false credibility and misrepresentation. For instance the when SCGB copied the sentence "Our legal expert believes that the legal waiver will be taken into account by the courts" this clearly suggests that they have undertaken consultation with a qualified legal expert when it appears that they haven't. This raises all sorts of question marks about what else might have been published that may not be what it seems.

In the absence of good news about snowfalls, SCGB are pumping their news pages with interesting stories to encourage potential members that their site is the be-all-and-end-all of snowsports related news.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 30-11-06 10:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

SCGB

Quote:

false credibility and misrepresentation.

Quote:

news about snowfalls,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The problem may be the SCGB policy which seems, from other things which have been said, to be not to mention other web sites. If this could be changed to bring them in line with most other institutions there would not be the temptation to use material from elsewhere without mentioning the source.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, have you had any communication from SCGB yet?

As (yet another) snowHead who is also a member of SCGB, I am more than annoyed for you. As someone who also takes trouble to take photographs I am almost ashamed that SCGB has, effectively on my behalf (so that I can read your article) plagiarised both your words and you pictures deliberately (it must be deliberate because of the photo cropping).

I am in the throes of a part-time MA, and one of the most basic parts of any writing is to reference your sources.

It has certainly made me question my membership renewal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick L wrote:
It has certainly made me question my membership renewal.

Well I don't want anyone to give up their membership over this issue but I would like the Ski Club to take a more civil attitude with all their news items. I'm surprised to hear that it is company policy to copy information without attribution, especially for an organisation that was so concerned about legal issues they couldn't run an open forum.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Given the time now 10.15am, I'm surprised that they haven't pulled the article pending a decision. The longer the leave it available and uncredited, the longer they signal their contempt for the intellectual property of others. Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's simple on the net - if you use anything on your website from another site you quote or make it very clear that it's from another site (including a link back) and if you're quoting or inserting any length of text (more than a couple of sentences) you should as the originator of the content for their permission if at all possible and, of course, still link back to the site it was originally posted on. Anything else is theft of content plain and simple and is bang out of order! Using the photos and cropping off the copyright notices is taking it beyond the pale!

If SCGB policy is not to mention any other site they shouldn't nick content from other people in the first place - frankly such a policy on the net is ridiculious anyway.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 30-11-06 11:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, that is what I meant - if there is no apology to you and no addition of the link to pistehors and attribution of the article to you personally then I will
Quote:

question my membership renewal
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The photos are not just 'cropped' but the second one has been re-worked to remove davisof's logo.

This certainly makes me question my SCGB membership.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Its just not cricket. One would have expected better of the chaps. Wonder if it gets a mention at the AGM tonight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampbus, That's a very good point, no way was this 'accidental'.

I have taken the liberty of posting extracts from the relevant pix below (with apologies to Davidof as copyright holder wink )

Image from Pistehors.com:

Image from SCGB:

Not much room for doubt there is there? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's not cropping, that's photoshopping and is therefore very much deliberate.

Thanks for drawing attention to the evidence AxsMan.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sure this is just some sort of mix up from that fantastic Ski Club in Wimbledon. This really is an organisation run by some of the most well respected people in the business. Assume the KGB will issue something later today and wouldn't be at all surprized if Orinoco himself didn't clear this matter up at the AGM.
snow report
DB, Smile
latest report
Quite frankly what the SCGB has done is nothing less than blatent theft, the fact that they have photoshoped the image above shows that they knew exactly what they were doing. This goes far beyond a simple mistake and I would say that an appology is insufficient compensation, if I were davidof, I would not be happy unless they imediately removed the article from their site plus posted a link to the original article along with an appology and possibly a donation to a charity Mad

This sort of behaviour makes me glad that I quit the SCGB
ski holidays
davidof, you might want to be carefull what you eat for a while - and avoid Sushi bars in London Wink
snow report
Nick L, Actually (in the spirit of fairly attributing credit Very Happy) It was lampbus, who noticed it first. I just posted the pix Laughing The news team at SCGB are little monkeys aren't they? rolling eyes
snow report
admin, And beware eastern Europeans carrying umbrellas Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:
Arno, sorry, didn't mean to be a miserable git. I was just pointing out what I see as the pitfalls of shoving your material on the web. I think that it's great that people do put stuff onto the web in the way they do, and it's a pity that there's no adequate protection for it. I suspect that the answer will be technological rather than legal, although any tech fix only seems to last about 3 weeks before some 'property is theft (except my property, dude)' progammer finds a work around.

It's possible to make it difficult for them, but it makes it difficult for yourself and potentially irritating for visitors. One way would be to have all articles as images, that are loaded by javascript or protected from direct linking, and are watermarked with your domain name. As I say, it's possible to nick that, but a lot more hassle.
snow conditions
You guys need to calm down. Take a deep breath and relax.

If -- I emphasise the if -- the SCGB has cut-and-pasted PisteHors content, then PisteHors should view this as a compliment. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Next, PisteHors needs to beef up security on its website.

Lock all its photos, so that one cannot right-click them. TheSun.co.uk is a good example of how it is impossible to cut-and-paste their photos.

Lock all the text, so it is impossible to highlight-and-paste the words.

This will lower the threat from imitators.

However, you will never eliminate content copying. Thought-followers will always mirror thought-leaders. It is human nature.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
You guys need to calm down. Take a deep breath and relax.....

Are you any relation to DG? Shocked Laughing

I would say there isn't much doubt about the cut and paste job, (have you read the two articles and seen the pix?) , but in fact I agree with your sentiment, it is flattering to PisteHors that the SCGB team recognise that the quality of their journalism is so good they just want to include it, unchanged on their own site.

I'm just not sure how ethical that is, and it certainly would have been more polite to ask first, give a credit, link back, and not doctor the pix to remove the copyright notice. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
If I imitate my neighbors dog that's fine, if I stole it he wouldn't be too flattered.

If I ran a web site that copied info from other web-sites, I'd probably only limit it to paid members too.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Whitegold,

Indeed, staggeringly tricky rolling eyes

<sun pic now gone>

Don't worry mods, I'll delete this is in 5, just making the point ....

Last edited by brian on Thu 30-11-06 13:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
brian wrote:
Whitegold,

Indeed, staggeringly tricky rolling eyes

(sun pic was here as well!)

Don't worry mods, I'll delete this is in 5, just making the point ....

Will you?? Laughing Laughing

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 30-11-06 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
Lock all its photos, so that one cannot right-click them. TheSun.co.uk is a good example of how it is impossible to cut-and-paste their photos.

I've just visited that site and just saved an image from their home page onto my machine with little more effort than three mouse clicks.
snow report
AxsMan, Lampbus, The 2nd image didn't originally have the copyright watermark. I guess that davidof has added that in the last day or so. Not that it makes much difference as it's still an indefensible act by SCGB in my view.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
AxsMan, yep NehNeh
snow conditions
brian, Curses foiled again! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Why do people do it?. The beauty of the internet is its speed and a basic news header with a link to www.pistehors.com would have given the members exactly what they required - THE STORY. Someone has done this to cast either themself, or the ski club in a better light

Well its definitely worked wink I now know that the great news feed I would get exclusively if I joined the SCGB may in fact be available for free elsewhere from the original source.
ski holidays
Whitegold, like this one from The Sun's homepage:

http://demo.kibo.org.uk/0200655144000.jpg
snow conditions
I do like the way the Sun is being used in a debate about journalistic integrity and standards in the media Laughing
snow report
FenlandSkier, Quite, didn't someone from the SCGB accuse Mr Goldsmith of Tabloid Journalism on here Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
I think a fair outcome

1 accreditation to piste hor
2. an apology
3 a fee to David
4 commitment not to copy further PH material without permission.
latest report
It looks like the article's been taken down - at least I can't see it any more Confused
ski holidays
Yup, it's gone - an apology is now due!
snow report
 brian
brian
roga wrote:
Yup, it's gone - an apology is now due!

We're sorry we took the article down.

Luv,

The Ski Club xx
latest report
brian, You are the ski club Shocked
ski holidays
boredsurfin, no he's brian and so's his wife.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy