Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Naming and Shaming the Ski Club of Great Britain

Poster: A snowHead
Content theft by the Ski Club of Great Britain has been an on-going problem as members of Snowheads, PisteHors and other alpine based ski sites will testify. I've alluded to this problem in the past, most recently here but normally I've dealt with the problem before gathering the evidence. However this time I want to name and shame the Ski Club - they will kill other sites if they continue this leeching and then where will they find their news? A few boring press releases.

This is the PisteHors article. The information was gathered by a friend in the area and from some coversations I have had with the locals:-

and voila

Here are the two news stories:-

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0644-pic-du-midi-opens-access/

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=4326

The photographs, which the Ski Club has cropped the copyright from, were taken by me as part of a photoshoot on the Pic du Midi of some professional skiers in December 2004.

Now I'm not some kind of copyright fascist. If people want to quote from PH.com articles or even ask me for photos to use then I'm always sympathetic but here, nada, not even a link back to the original article. Haven't the people at the Ski Club heard of hyperlinking?

I've contacted the ski club on past occassions about this but I guess they've just hired an enthusiastic new news leech who probably thinks how wonderful this interweb thingie is for doing her job.

Anyway enough for now, just putting this down for the record.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocking not to even link back to you!! Have you emailed them??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where is Bode Swiller to tell you it's all your fault for publishing anything in the first place? rolling eyes

Seriously, though I'd say you have every right to be a copyright fascist in these circumstances. Go get em!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, I think you're absolutely right to bring this to their and the wider ski community's attention. For a organisation that requires membership for content which it believes to be be both valuable and their intellectual property, it's quite hypocritical to continue to do what they have done. It's disgraceful.

They should not only remove the offending content, they should offer and formal and public apology.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I emailed them, asking why they copied some pages!

got an out of office reply from a :

Maggie A. Colpus
Maggie.Colpus@skiclub.co.uk

Reception on 020 8410 2000

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, Would you like any snowhead ski club members to post a link into the ski club forum. I am sure Mr Goldsmith and others would be very interested.

Must be infuriating to see your work stolen, even if theirs is of much poorer quality and presentation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, I just did that Very Happy . DG had already posted saying what a good article it was and noting that it didn't say who wrote it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 29-11-06 18:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Greg,

In the past I've let my lawyer deal with the email side but she's not in until tomorrow. In those cases(and it is a pretty irregular occurence for PH.com) they have been contrite and everything... unlike another site which told my brief to sue them if they had a problem!

I don't think I'm an info fascist and have helped loads of news outlets with information, documents, photos, most recently the Observer, Times and BBC.

I will remind snowheads of the time the Ski Club pinched their scoop on the Tignes cable car accident. All pretty irregular occurances but it seems to be a pattern of behaviour.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
......that's not good - in fact that's very bad & I will certainly be adding my 2d's worth to the Ski Club.

I think we all know that Pistehors is pretty generous when it comes to sharing. Common politness dictates the Ski Club should act immediately to remedy this.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, irrespective of copyright law, that really is discourteous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That is really bad and unexcusable, no acknowledgement of your site or article whatsoever - and to even use your photo but cropped so that your copyright logo is no longer part of the photo. They need to have training as to how to use information they glean off the net.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
interesting, in all their stories, they only credit one source, which is Eurosport on this article:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=4346

Cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unhappy to see that. Will comment on the Club site.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
davidof, Would you like any snowhead ski club members to post a link into the ski club forum. I am sure Mr Goldsmith and others would be very interested.

Must be infuriating to see your work stolen, even if theirs is of much poorer quality and presentation.

Too right DG would be interested. The Club would never hear the end of it !

DG was a stickler for things like copyright - as Snowheads will remember.

He is still a very active poster over on the Ski Club site too.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Appalling that the Ski Club of Great Britain should seemingly be party to such blatant plagiarism. There was a recent thread about how an adventure mag had allegedly stolen some MTB pics from a private individual's weblog but frankly this is even worse! Not only is it word for word but it would appear that a deliberate attempt to deceive has been made by cropping out David's pistehors.com copyright stamp! Shocking that the SCGB should allow itself to become involved with such an abuse. My family are all members and I'll certainly be contacting the SCGB to express my sentiments.
ski holidays
I'll confirm that in my experience, beyond the basic expectation of a little politeness where credit is concerned, davidof's attitude to the propogation of PH's content is relaxed, even generous.

Yes, we had exactly the same problem with SCGB once - IMO it's hardly out of character, more the 'norm' where they're concerned Twisted Evil

I suggested that not to link back to source was highly rude and the person I spoke to, although very pleasant, expressed 'fear from above' if they were to link to us. In the end, to their credit, they 'took a chance' by linking the article back to us and two other sites - both of whom had got it from us too rolling eyes They didn't even credit us first Evil or Very Mad I don't blame the individual but the apparent culture within the organisation.

snowHeads would not use Piste Hors' content without credit and neither would the Times so it has the appearance of conceit that the SCGB should think they're above it.
Perhaps they credit Eurosport because they are afraid of Rupert Murdoch - or perhaps they're sucking up to get content for their web TV plan?
latest report
Arno wrote:
Where is Bode Swiller to tell you it's all your fault for publishing anything in the first place? rolling eyes

Seriously, though I'd say you have every right to be a copyright fascist in these circumstances. Go get em!

I only said that to Lee Lau to highlight just one way in which he'd lost control of his own intellectual property (plus it was enjoyable). This is very different. I'm just picking up the phone to DG right now Laughing
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:

It is partly because David has asked me for proof in the past (which I hadn't gathered) that I have made this post and partly because it is an ongoing issue which I would like to sort out. I don't spend my days looking at other websites (apart Snowheads perhaps) and came across this by chance.

From a traffic viewpoint the Ski Club's article will outrank one on PisteHors if people are searching for information and where the article is a copy, the PisteHors article risks getting removed entirely from search engine results (duplicate content) because a Ski Club article will outrank a PisteHors one... thats just a function of the thousands of people who link to the Ski Club's website compared to the hundreds who link to PH.com.

On a personal level the photos I used were part of a set I took on the Pic du Midi in 2004. I had to drive through appauling weather, pay for a couple of nights in a hotel etc. Most of the info about the Pic comes from the director who has a house next door to one of our Pyrenean contributors and a close personal friend.
snow conditions
davidof, I think your response to this outrageous behaviour, more like a school magazine (and a not very good one) than a supposedly grown up institution, is very measured and restrained. I'd be ringing up and yelling at somebody. Your approach is no doubt much more effective and it will be interesting to see how they respond.
ski holidays
davidof, Please keep us informed on this one. I am a member of the SCGB in almost permanent hibernation though I do find the historical snow reports and occasional discounts useful, I would not like to think my fees are contributing to the theft of your copyright.

PS if it would help I would happily PM you my name and membership number.
snow report
davidof wrote:
Content theft by the Ski Club of Great Britain has been an on-going problem as members of Snowheads, PisteHors and other alpine based ski sites will testify. I've alluded to this problem in the past, most recently here but normally I've dealt with the problem before gathering the evidence. However this time I want to name and shame the Ski Club - they will kill other sites if they continue this leeching and then where will they find their news? A few boring press releases.

This is the PisteHors article. The information was gathered by a friend in the area and from some coversations I have had with the locals:-

and voila

Here are the two news stories:-

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0644-pic-du-midi-opens-access/

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=4326

The photographs, which the Ski Club has cropped the copyright from, were taken by me as part of a photoshoot on the Pic du Midi of some professional skiers in December 2004.

Now I'm not some kind of copyright fascist. If people want to quote from PH.com articles or even ask me for photos to use then I'm always sympathetic but here, nada, not even a link back to the original article. Haven't the people at the Ski Club heard of hyperlinking?

I've contacted the ski club on past occassions about this but I guess they've just hired an enthusiastic new news leech who probably thinks how wonderful this interweb thingie is for doing her job.

Anyway enough for now, just putting this down for the record.

Cut-and-paste is rife across the entire global media industry. It has been going on for decades. So, if true, your plight is not particularly shocking.

I would encourage you to take your story to a ski-friendly newspaper such as The Times, if the SCGB does not respond to your claims. Good luck.
ski holidays
admin, snowheads often ask for SCGB snow depth information to be published in here. They say things like, 'I know it's members only information, but could someone please cut and paste the info in here, pretty please?'

So I take it that will be stopped too? Yeah right!
snow conditions
Tim Brown, could you find the thread(s) for us please that state that?
latest report
davidof, a very opportune moment to raise this, as it's the AGM tomorrow evening. Not decided whether I'll go myself yet.
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20813

is one example. You'll have to find the others yourself. I paraphrased the bit above, obviously.
snow conditions
Lets not get down this sidetrack - posters who do give snow report details credit the info to SCGB and don't claim it as their own knowledge. SCGB snow reports are widely available on other sites.
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:

is one example. You'll have to find the others yourself. I paraphrased the bit above, obviously.

I deleted my previous reply in error but I don't believe that the Ski Club has any copyright on this information as it comes from the Tourist Office figures not from their own measurements. The ski club's particular arrangement of the figures may be subject to copyright. However I do agree with your general point. There are also a lot of examples of cut 'n' paste on the Ski Club's forums too.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 29-11-06 20:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:

Tim, quite apart from the question raised by davidof's post about the snow depth information being published by the Tourist Offices, surely the pertinent point is that in the quoted thread the SCGB is clearly identified as a (if not the only) source of information. In the case of the Snowheads and Pistehors features, the SCGB articles made no references to the source of the information.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The scgb collated the information, that makes them the copyright holders in my opinion.
snow conditions
Tim Brown, It's not down to legalistic stuff, it's the common courtesy of crediting the source of the info.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, you're not exactly comparing like for like here are you?

Stuff gets posted back and forth across the forums all the time, as you well know - In fact, I'm given to believe that the post by davidof that started this thread has already been copied to the SCGB's members' only forum. Now, unless it was copied by davidof or with his express permission, technically this breaches snowHeads' T+C's and I suspect it breaches the SCGB's as well but, to dwell upon something so petty, would be a total waste of precious life. So let's not eh?

However, it is quite a different matter for an organisation itself, to copy content from another site and publish it as its own. Articles such as davidof's involve a great deal of dedicated effort to generate. This is respected by not copying articles in their entirety and is noted by crediting the origins of stories by linking back to source. SnowHeads does this as a matter of policy whereas the SCGB appears to excercise a specific policy of not doing so. In netiquette terms this is considered somewhere between rather impolite and downright dishonest.
But, to copy a story in its entirety and then go as far as to trim copyright marks from someone's photographs is frankly a disgrace. Indeed I don't see how anyone do such a thing without being fully aware they were doing something wrong.

'Members only SCGB snow depth information published in here' you say? Not by me and I assume, if it has, it's source would have been credited, no? (eg. here's the SCGB snowdepth info for xxxxx) Let's face it, in practice this is some of the best promotion the club could get!
But what if I did copy it myself? What if I collected this data routinely from the SCGB and then created a new 'snowHeads snowDepths' facility? No link back to the SCGB, no mention of them at all. And u know what, I'll just grab any graphs and graphics too and de-brand them. You'd call that theft woudn't you? And I'd agree.
I'm afraid that is a far more accurate parallel to draw with what the SCGB appears to have done to Piste Hors.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-11-06 20:34; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Steve Sparks, indeed, which is why permission should be asked for, even for snow depth info.

Avalanche-net also publish historical data and at the bottom of each page it says ©Avalanche-net.

So

1. Ask permission

2. Give source.

3. Link back.

in all cases, not just when it suits.
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

He is still a very active poster over on the Ski Club site too.

I have the highest respect for www.pistehors.com and their articles are superbly written. Whenever, as I recently had to, refer to some educational matters regarding avalanches, it was to them I referred. And when that subject comes up they seem to be the expert in that area and give them the due credit.

I think on this occasion we must be grown up and put our hands up and the SC is at fault.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-11-06 20:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tim Brown, So go tell that to your SCGB contacts, who fail on all 3 counts, not just 1 or 2. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
AxsMan, not defending that, old boy.
snow conditions
Tim Brown, so what WAS your point old boy? wink
ski holidays
davidof, Have emailed a complaint to SCGB, got the same out of office reply mentioned above. Looks like someone is keeping their head down Evil or Very Mad
snow report
AxsMan,
To be fair a lot of people are out of office at this time of the evening wink
ski holidays
This is why I am not a member of SCGB anymore
latest report
T Bar, Fair point, I wouldn't want to be wading through her inbox in the morning! Shocked Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy