Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in powder - basic tips

Poster: A snowHead
John Scott wrote:
(Until you fall Laughing )

OK, so how the devil DO you get up when you've fallen in powder? Assuming you've got your skis back on...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cross your poles into a + shape and use them to push down on...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eng_ch wrote:
John Scott wrote:

OK, so how the devil DO you get up when you've fallen in powder? Assuming you've got your skis back on...

Ask hels_t, she's at that stage of learning powder as well Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
eng_ch, Core muscles - do more sit-ups! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
or just get a snow board and come over to the Dark Side !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
eng_ch, Core muscles - do more sit-ups! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hmmmmm, that's never been a real problem for me. What does seem to be more of a problem is what CEM was talking about some weeks ago - there is no way I can squat down and keep my heels on the floor so I can't actually get my centre of gravity over my feet with heels attached to skis when in a squat position. On piste I can use core strength to push against the resistance but that disappears in the powder we've done. So does it still boil down to core strength? Or do I need to do more calf stretching exercises? Or is there actually a technique for getting up in softer snow?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eng_ch, as kitenski said, cross your poles at near right angles, hold them at the crossing and use this as a platform from which to push up from the side rather than just pulling yourself up from sitting/lying on your skis. It works amazingly well. Like you I can't get anywhere close to the "asian squat", but am just about strong enough to lever myself up along the length of the skis using just my legs - but as you say that doesn't really work in soft snow, but this does. Also, if you have a problem with being pulled back on your heels and are wearing a backpack, take off the backpack when trying to stand up - this is clearly more of an issue if you're touring as you may have 10kg on your back, but it can make a difference for more "normal" skiers too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, daft question of the week here - presumably that cross is flat on the snow to spread the force, like snow shoes?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eng_ch, you got it. It's better to seem daft asking the question than be daft not asking it. As someone said before, there're no daft questions, just daft answers!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch, stretching, mobility exercises and core strength all help . . . even more will holding your pack out in front of you as a counterweight. A boarder trick is to sweep the snow around you into a compressed lump in front of you and use that to help lever yourself up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, I have never heard of that. I can't see it working with my carbon fibre poles either. What I was taught was to cross the poles, hold at the crossing then stick the ends in the snow. But maybe I misunderstood? Which might explain why it never worked for me!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, it may be less effective with those emaciated poles...serves you right for using them, but as a shortar$e lightweight you should still have no problem yourself Wink ! There is still the effect of the handles and baskets to spread the load though, so there's a chance it may still work.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, i think you may have got the wrong end of the stick (geddit?). GrahamN's technique does work with skinny carbon poles, even for a big lad like me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
John Scott wrote:

Ask hels_t, she's at that stage of learning powder as well Very Happy

She is past that now.

skiing peak to creeek last week and she was like a bouncing ball. When down almost straight back up again.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I can't see it working with my carbon fibre poles either. What I was taught was to cross the poles, hold at the crossing then stick the ends in the snow. But maybe I misunderstood? Which might explain why it never worked for me!

The carbon fibre poles should work just fine. It's their shape, not their weight, which is doing the work by spreading your weight over a bigger area than if you just stuck one hand in the snow! But they have to be flat on the snow, along their whole length, to do that. It does work.
snow report
One bit of advice for if you fall - try not to take your skis off or you will sink up to your waist. Also, it is a lot easier to get back up and on your skies on a steep slope than on the flat, so whatever you do try not to fall over on either a very gentle slope or on the flat - it's much easier falling over on steep slopes. Smile
latest report
rolling eyes it's over rated, skiing in powder. best not to try it at all. honest. Twisted Evil

Some good tips here otherwise. If you are a 'picture' person then imagine you are skiing on a monoboard, helps keep your feet closer together, as suggested above, and will make you think about keeping your weight equal between both feet.

Failing that get a monoski for each foot, even an ex-snowboarding muppet like me can do it then...
snow report
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed (until you fall)
latest report
I should have read this thread before I went skiing this weekend. As I haven't skied on powder since I was a small child and found my self turn uphill and sinking on a relatively easy blue (wide stance & very heavy on the inside edge of the botom ski). So I decided to side slip and "falling leaf" down the slope to avoid the rocks and falling over. As a result of this, I became was very "popular" with the powder lovers after flattening a track down the slope. I actually prefer ice to powder at least I know what I am doing on ice even though my legs sometimes ignore my instructions.

I'll have to try your suggestions after new year, as I am spending Christmas & the new year in the UK.
ski holidays
davidb, "popular" a lovely euphemism for 'you keep runnin' boy if you want to father children' Laughing

But you're not the first Embarassed and you're certainly not the last person who will screw up a powder stash. We boarders may have a better ride in powder but it usually takes more time and effort to dig our way out when we eat the stuff. Confused
snow conditions
Hi

Here is an exert from my film (or at least the script of) which focuses on a technique which transformed my off piste skiing.

'Recently I discovered for myself a way of thinking that reduces the sensation of being on a slope, therefore reducing fear, and at the same time improves weight placement, which improves control, therefore increasing confidence.

Whilst skiing steep off-piste I began to feel that I was no longer on a slope at all, but I was skiing along a flat surface and being pushed along by an invisible motor or magical force.
What happened was that, due to a light fog and flying powder, I lost all visual reference to the vertical. My brain had been fooled into seeing the snow as a flat surface, over which I seemed to be moving horizontally, by a process of optical Illusion combined with my sense of balance being tricked by my forward movement.
Later I tried to see if I could deliberately replicate this sensation and to my delight I found I could.
I quickly found myself more confident on very steep slopes and skiing powder and rough chopped up off-piste better than I ever have.
I haven’t heard other instructors talk about this technique, so I don’t know if anyone else does it, but I would recommend that everyone tries it for themselves.
So when you ski at moderate speed, look no further than about twenty feet, or about two turns in front of you. Try to block out the detail of objects like trees and buildings in your peripheral vision which would give reference to the vertical, (obviously keep the speed down, you don't want to go hitting anything) Just concentrate on the empty piste or instructor in front of you. Try to find the sensation that you’re on a flat surface being pushed along by a big invisible hand. This will place you 90 degrees to the snow at all times and stop you leaning or falling backwards.

It’s possible that it’s a bit like those 3D pictures you have to stare at, some people get it and some people don’t, but whether a beginner or expert, give it a try, it might be just the thing for you.'

Hope this helps

My film can be found at www.skiday.co.uk

Regards Skiday
ski holidays
skiday wrote:

Whilst skiing steep off-piste I began to feel that I was no longer on a slope at all, but I was skiing along a flat surface and being pushed along by an invisible motor or magical force.
What happened was that, due to a light fog and flying powder, I lost all visual reference to the vertical. My brain had been fooled into seeing the snow as a flat surface, over which I seemed to be moving horizontally, by a process of optical Illusion combined with my sense of balance being tricked by my forward movement.
Later I tried to see if I could deliberately replicate this sensation and to my delight I found I could.
I quickly found myself more confident on very steep slopes and skiing powder and rough chopped up off-piste better than I ever have.

Interesting idea - must try that - thanks!
snow conditions
easy tip- use your arms in like your marching -the swinging of your arms transfers your weight lightly on to the opposite ski it might sound daft but it works and as a masque says if you want it easier still buy a board from observation most boarders i watch have the great technique of traversing across the falline with out making a turn then falling and swinging around on their behinds to repeat the proceedure again.Short wide skis have make a huge difference to the old long skinny skis it is far easier now than ever before the downturn is modean skis are far worse on ice and moguls.
snow conditions
tomf, care for a saucer of milk with that one? wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy