Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing in powder - basic tips

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Oregon on business for a couple of weeks and will fit in some skiing at the nearest slopes - Mt Bachelor. They've been getting loads of snow already (now up to about 65 inches).

With the promise of more snow to come and the fact that a few of the runs don't get groomed until the afternoon i thought it would present a good opportunity to improve my skills by tackling some "semi off-piste".

I'm definitely no expert who typically sticks to pisted red runs. I'm not intending to go into the backcountry but if there is some untouched powder on the edge of the main slopes I'll have a go. Just wondered if anybody could suggest some key bits of technique that I should think about when doing this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
make both skis work as a unit - independant but unified action

be PATIENT...

rhythm...

don't ask me i can't do it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tirol,
Weight back , feet together 50:50 distribution, shoulders face down the hill sorted wink
PS A monoboard if in doubt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, NOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - not "weight back"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Despite some of the "skiing myths" threads. As a powder nooby I was given the following tips which worked well for me.

1. Feet pretty close together - we want to see one track in the snow not two.

2. Up-Unweight/Extend/Bounce (call it what you like) to initiate the turn.

3. Be able to feel the front of your boots on your shins - but no too much or you'll sink.

4. Try to feel you have equalish weight on both skis.

5. Finish the turn by sinking onto the skis (kind of pushing your heels into the snow) whilst at the same time reaching down the hill to pole plant for the next turn.

Perhaps not what pureists look for, but as I say these tips worked well for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Head for the bar and wait until the piste basher has been along.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill wrote:
5. Finish the turn by sinking onto the skis (kind of pushing your heels into the snow)

Pushing hard through both heels was a good mental trigger for me, allows you to sort of set up a platform to get into the next turn.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tips so far guys. Hopefully this will prevent me ending up with my head buried in the snow snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As a learner powder skier here's what I did wrong ........

1. Leaned back - this was akin to putting a rocket up my rear end and lighting the fuse. It was back seat driving, I was using the rear end of the ski to try and turn it. The fuse wasn't the only thing to burn, my thighs were shot after a couple of turns. Now I try to stay balanced and tilt the ski slightly back. Only on a flat pitch where I need to maintain speed will I sacrifce the steering for a bit of speed to keep me going.

2. Tried to find the bottom of the snow. On the piste there's always a hard reference in the deeper powder that's gone. It's more like water skiing, a bit of speed is your friend otherwise you sink. Ski around the surface dont fish for the bottom.

3. Forced the turn. Powder is softer than the piste and it takes longer to bend those planks so be patient. It's like turing in slow motion and both skis are used as one similar to mono skiing.

4. Dominant leg - This works on the piste but in powder your outside/downhill ski will sink and the knee of the other leg floats up to chin ya. The deeper the snow the more balanced (notice I didn't say 50/50) the weight. Aim to sink a similar deepth with both skis unweighting the ski that sinks. At higher speeds or shallower powder the forces generated are more akin to piste skiing and so the outside leg dominance can be increased. In bottomless powder it will be nearer 50/50.

5. No rythym - Try jumping from side to side with the body mass deviating slightly either side of the fall line.

6. Turned across the fall line - you can scrap and skid your skis on the piste. This doesn't work in powder, you have to go with the flow. The turns aren't completely finished.

When it's going right powder skiing is like gentle juming down the hill from powder cushion to cushion.

I don't do all these things right now, just do em wrong less often.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-11-06 12:58; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB wrote:
When it's going right powder skiing is like gentle juming down the hill from powder cushion to cushion.

That's the feeling alright - well put.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pole plants are also important - I can look at diagrams all day but when I'm on the hill I can't see how I relate to those diagrams.

One thing that works really well for me in powder is getting my body to go inbetween the pole plant and the skis, this tends to

a) get my body mass following the ideal line better.
b) stops me hesitating between turns which leads to backseat traversing.
c) keeps me more centrally balanced on the skis. ( not in the backseat or over the handle bars )
d) keeps the flow going. You ski powder lines not one turn at a time.

Sing a tune to set the rythm and get bouncing those cushions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
<Swiss Tony voice>
You know, skiing in powder is like making love to a beautiful woman.
You need three things: First, the woman, second, the equipment, and third the technique.
When it comes to equipment, you can get away with almost anything, if you have good technique, but better equipment will be like mine: long, fat, stiff, and with 3 metal studs in the tip.
Now for the technique.
A nice slow, gentle up and down rhythm is best, but don't forget the side to side as well. After all, this isn't just for your pleasure.
Stay balanced over your centre. Too far forward, and you'll end up going tits up. Too far back, and your bindings could release prematurely. Once you are centred, then all the gentle movements can be made easily, without working up a sweat. Just take it slowly. If you go too fast, you'll end up out of control, and with a spray of white stuff all over you in a matter of seconds - after that, you are best going back to skiing on piste alone. Perhaps stopping at the side of the piste to look over at the beautiful powder in the distance, and imagine to yourself how you would like to be able to ski it.
As you get better at it, you'll find you want to explore powder that no one else has been on - after all, skiing in slop after someone else has been down it is no fun.
If you suffer from poor technique, or finishing the run too quickly, imagine you are doing it on snowblades, or think of the GB mens ski team.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tirol, Hire PHAT skis. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stay light on your feet. Bouncy bouncy.

Alternatively, straight line Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
don't, stick to the groomed and leave that nasty powder alone Wink
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Here is an easy way to do it in good turning snow, IMV

Don't fight the fall line..it will probably win and you need that speed anyway. Choose a good pitch and let the tips go...

...............with legs closer together........just bounce with a light accent left or right which ever way you want to go..and just ride them by keeping the tips up. That should get you started
snow report
JT, good points - powder skiing is easier on steeper pitches than on shallower ones (until you reach the fear angle)
snow report
In this case, Kramer, who does not turn too much, is right. Just let go!
snow conditions
And following the bouncy, bouncy theme....start with a few exploratory bounces even before you start moving, and keep it going as you get into the fun stuff.
snow report
JT wrote:
Don't fight the fall line..it will probably win

The fall line is my friend
Laughing Laughing
snow report
Tirol, skiing in powder isn't that different to skiing on piste, especially on modern skis. So,

1. hire skis that will make it an easy transition. Ask the shop as I don't approve with making it easy.

2. keep your weight more evenly balanced. You are still turning the skis so you still need some dynamic weight distribution, just be more 50:50 than you would be normally.

3. make your "contract" with the snow. Start off in a gentle traverse and (literally) bounce up and down a couple of times to feel how resistant it is. Get a feel for how the snow wants to move.

4. Once you feel comfortable traversing, make a turn. if you have nice easy powder skis, this should be straightforward. Once it's too easy, go back to the shop and get harder skis. Harder skis won't float as much and you'll have to be a little more sensitive and control things more yourself. A gross analogy is waterskiing where there are easier and harder skis, then you get into mono skiing and there are easier and harder monoskis.

Take it easy, chill, enjoy.
snow conditions
one idea that hasn't been mentioned.........take a lesson!
snow report
Rusty Guy, A splendid suggestion!
snow report
Quote:

Once it's too easy, go back to the shop and get harder skis.

Why? On that basis we should all be on long straight planks, strapped on with whale sinews. I much prefer your "take it easy, chill, enjoy", advice David Murdoch!
latest report
David Murdoch, You forgot:

5. Make sure you are wearing really brightly coloured pants.
latest report
pam w, my breakthough came on 165 slalom skis - it takes all types. snowHead
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
pam w, my breakthough came on 165 slalom skis - it takes all types. snowHead

Shireley u jest Marc,I thought you had wider skis in utah??
snow conditions
Skis can travel a long way under powder so use powder straps, or come to terms with spending an hour a day searching for your skis! Attach to ski, and tuck them into your boots (don't tie them to your body!). They unravel and show the way to the ski after you have sailed in one direction and your ski has continued in another completely unexpected direction under the snow.

I know these things have gone out of fashion, but they are one of the most useful inventions ever...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chose a spot right under a chair lift to fall over and bury yourself, then make a spectacle of yourself trying to get up again.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Shireley u jest Marc,I thought you had wider skis in utah??

I kid ye not. I took two pairs to Utah snowHead

'n stop calling me Shireley.
snow report
Don't rotate your skis much or you'll eat snow. Instead, turn your skis by pressure. Whether short or medium turns let the skis flow and stay in mid-balance with where they want to take you. Finish the turn to slow down or if going slow enough, up-unweight and stop. Don't turn your skis to try to slow or stop by skidding or scraping, or over you'll go!
ski holidays

BUY A SNOWBOARD . . . . muppets rolling eyes
latest report
slikedges,
Quote:

Don't turn your skis to try to slow or stop by skidding or scraping, or over you'll go!

Spot on - don't try to turn your skis, just let them come round on their own. Control your speed by letting your skis turn further across, or even up, the hill. Trying to force them round a la on-piste leads to sweating, burning legs, falling, tiredness and bad temper when it's meant to be FUN. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Whether short or medium turns let the skis flow and stay in mid-balance with where they want to take you

I'll try to remember this, sounds just right. I'm sure my problems stem from trying to impose my will on the skis because of lack of confidence. How about "have a vin chaud to start with"? wink
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

How about "have a vin chaud to start with"?

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:
BUY A SNOWBOARD . . . . muppets

What, and make it easy Puzzled
snow report
shoogly,
Nah he means Buy a snowboard and join the muppets.
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, I have rarely seen anything less like a muppet than a good snowboarder in powder. It was one of the sights which drove me to acquire a snowboard, though I have yet to be able to ride it in powder. This coming season, maybe. We need to dream...
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, You should always use the right tool for the job in hand
snow report
As has been said before the most important thing is the bounce. It is not a hop like an old fashioned parallel turn but a movement where you drive your feet into the snow and the reaction will bounce you through the turn. Once you've got the speed and rythmn going the turns virtually look after themselves as all you have to do is use the momentum.
(Until you fall Laughing )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy