Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Flaine 8-)

Poster: A snowHead
Sounds nice - you might have to get a chair - or the old "bubble" gondola. Road isn't too bad down to the village to sample the laid back nightlife. I can recommend Coveys for guinness and good company.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stevo , we stayed at a chalet in Sameon about 3 years ago called chez beaubeau run by 2 English women, one called Lucy, but the emails have stopped and no web site can be found. Shame really because they charged a good rate and would like to go there again. Any ideas if they sold up ?
boo
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure sorry - I don't know them. There are lots of other nice ones though
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back, no more snow. The old bubble has new cabins, that get amazingly low on the cable.

The best preserved run is the red Faust from the top, then cut off to the diamant noir chair lift (easy to miss the sign) Can cut off faust safely off piste to lower diamant noir run which was pisted at the bottom. Saw a women skier frozen soild with fear on the very steep part of diamant noir right above a very very large hole, I went round once again to do the run and next time up she was still there..................(male skiing partner down below trying to talk her down in French)

Lots of rocks on all runs below this cut off run level. Very busy, queued for 30 minutes for grandes plat... dmc lift.

Les carroz shut the steep bit from the gondola due to the number of rocks for a bit, (thanks to crowjersey for that info as i gave up after Thursday as my skis had had enough) best run blue is down to mollachets 4 man chair, get off point however has some large rocks. The red timalets down the the village is good, but the blue to get to it is not really very good, again loads of rocks. Have never used my rock skis so much, and used so much ptex.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got back myself.

Fair play to Flaine, for getting so much out of what they got. TBH I was suprised at the snow they had.

To some it up some areas were great, some ok and some as dire as it gets. The best snow on the mountain funnily enough was where my 3 year old had his lessons in the resort Cool

I do feel for those going for New Year Confused
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not looking good right now - glad I'm not there today!!!! I guess it will (hopefully) cjange later - but as of now (8.15 on 1st Jan) what snow was there has been "rained" off the hill looking at the webcams! ouch! Come on rain..... TURN TO SNOW!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stevo,

Lets be honest, Im sure we would all prefer to be there no matter what the conditions NehNeh

Happy New year mate Razz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello, I'm sitting in Le White Pub in Flaine atm, for those interested, skiing yesterday bad, lots of rocks icy etc. This morning hard rain for >8 hours! Then it turned to Snow at 11am, snowed about 3-4cm atm, everything closed today but snow expected tonight althought not doing anything atm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks like the top of the telecabine in le carroz only got a very fine dusting - hardly the 30 - 40 cm forecast at this altitude!!! They always seem to think the temps will be lower than the reality!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It looks like the weather is playing out as forecast. Snow up high, rain down low.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello again, just back from a days skiing.

There has been snow in excess of a foot or two overnight and it's still snowing, the new bubble was open and nice powder down the run. The TMC? was closed because of 27m/s wind, hopefully when the wind calms down they can get some more open!! It's still snowing now!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jstw,

What new Bubble? Are the links to the rest of the GM open? What's the situation in Carroz at resort level?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I assume jstw means the old AUP DE VERAN has new cabins, they get very low as they leave the gondola station.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jstw, Good stuff. Keep up the reports. They are appreciated, especially by those like myself who are off to Flaine shortly,
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, it's 6 weeks before I'm going to Flaine for the first time and I am looking at webcams every day already. I want to hear (read) as much as I can, especially when it says "Flaine is great" etc
ski holidays
Same here, off this Sunday to Les Carroz and trying to discover whether the links to the rest of the Grand Massif are open, although at the moment it appears the situation is changing daily. I've been doing my snow dance for two weeks now... Blush
latest report
snowshine, came back from LC on Saturday, since then the situation has got worse as it started raining, but now looks a bit better - it is snowing and windy and they have a few runs open today by the looks of it. But based on the conditions when I was there they need a good few dumps before they can open the links, they looked very rocky and bare last week. Still a few days before you go so perhaps they will get some more

Cheers,
Peter
snow report
Thanx for that prthomas, much appreciated. Rain Sad but forecast looking reasonable, if not great. Increasing the tempo of the dance snowHead
latest report
Sources in Les Carroz have told me that about 50cm of snow has fallen at resort level over the past couple of days. Links to Morrillon, Samoens and Flaine are now open but Sixt is still closed. The locals predict small flurries over the next couple of days and a decent dump again next week. What a difference a couple of days make!
latest report
Still only 8 lifts open accordnig to the web site in Carroz - hope it's the good ones!
ski holidays
simo1234, that is great news snowHead snowHead , made my day you have. Cheers! I'm in LC for five days next week so hopefully that dump should arrive while I am there.

Proof that the snow dance works! Laughing
ski holidays
Rite just back from a full day skiing, it was fantastic!! In the morning alot of oh well what's going to open, but we were the first up the Aup Du Veran, just simply great, sunny weather so clear skies etc.. Then everyone came out and ques everywhere nothing really open. The DMC was having big problems it was iced up, so we went for a hot chocolate at about 10. Then the ques were still about DMC still closed so we got the bucket up to see the story with Grand Vans (the 8 man lift) it was moving but closed we asked and they said it was opening at 1pm. DMC still closed we then jus did the nursery run then 5 mins later they opened Grand Vans!! We were the first down the run, the link to the rest of Grand Massif was closed so we skied that run a couple of times, it was fantastic just simply brilliant snow, however after a couple of runs the piste had seen better days because its an 8 man lift and that was the only run of it. We had an early lunch at the bottom of the Grand Vans run really nice lunch btw! Then we decided to do Barochet 1 and 2 a couple of times then we thought lets give grand vans another go (DMC now opened also). Then we got to the top and the link was open so we skied Samoens and Les Carroz good snow but it was some stones at some bits but good skiing, any question just ask I'll be in the pub for about 30mins!
latest report
jstw, Thanks for the update. Webcams still don't look "great" looks like no-where near as much as predicted, and Snow-forecasts predictions for the next few days have changed considerably down. Oh well, still 2.5 weeks until I go - I will keep up the dancing!
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler,

I agree all the predictions I saw were wrong by a factor of about 50%. The top of the bubble in carroz is already looking patchy again and this mornings snow line between predicted at 1500m to 1100m is at least 1800m.
Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
latest report
[quote="stevo_the_saddler"]jstw, Thanks for the update. Webcams still don't look "great" looks like no-where near as much as predicted, and Snow-forecasts predictions for the next few days have changed considerably down. Oh well, still 2.5 weeks until I go - I will keep up the dancing![/quote]

Most of the snow forecasts were not too far off.

As broadly expected, the West got roughly 10 - 70cm, while the East got about 5 - 60cm.

Snow has now been followed by rain in many places.

Some stations, like Isola 2000, missed out altogether.

I would say the predictions were reasonably good.

Overall, most of the Alps remains below-average. But it is looking better than last week.

Next week is set for higher temps, so things may deteriorate again for a while.
ski holidays
Whitegold,

Chamonix was forecast to receive between 70cm and 100cm at 1800m - do you think this happend?
snow conditions
[quote="NorthWestFace"]Whitegold,

Chamonix was forecast to receive between 70cm and 100cm at 1800m - do you think this happend?[/quote]

Not all sites modeled that estimate. Some were as low as 20 - 40cm. And that is what Chamonix received. It was at the lower end of predictions.

Not to mention that some sites show totals up high, others down low, some in the middle.

The broad rule-of-thumb last week was for most stations in the Alps to get about a foot of pow. That was what most roughly got.
ski holidays
Whitegold,

The site http://www.chamonix.com/meteocham/MetPreE.php just happns to be th eone used by the Chamonix Tourist Offices and just about every ski resort in the area. The forecast specifically stated the snowfall at 1800m - not higher or lower.

Then you go on to talk bout a "broad rule-of-thumb" and "foot of pow" what model and altitude are you talking about rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
[

Not sure about the accuracy of the 'predictions' but facts are inaccurate wink - it snowed in Isola on Tuesday and (by alpine standards) is allegedly in better shape than many others ...
snow report
Oh well to some today up: WINDY!!! This is the windiest I have ever skied in, at one point I couldn't ski down because the wind was blowing towards me (I wear a baggy snowboarding jacket). Well we went straight to the Grand Vans today and we got up on the first chair, the snow was alrite but not great but the wind just made it so difficult, also the grand vans lift kept automattically shutting down because of the winds. I don't know why they didn't just close it, we skiied down the run towards Samoens, but the link over to Samoens was closed so we just skied the Grand Vans run a few times then went for and early hot choc!

We did Grand Vans another couple of times, but the lift kept stopping so went back down to 1600 to see what the story was with AUP Du Veran, the DMC was closed all day today, they had opened a second run from the top of Aup Du Veran, but it had a big orange barrier sign, like the SLOW, Langslam things. But it was in French and I didn't really understand it, I think it ment it was unpisted and your responsibility we did that run and it was good really mogaly and hard on the legs but I enjoyed it.

We had an early lunch again. Then did the bubble twice, it started snowing very hard and with the wind it was pretty miserable so we gave up at about 1. The snow cover is alwright, but rocks are still there and long grass is poking through aswell Sad . It is still snowing now but it is quite mild only about 0-5C So the snow is quite wet snow.
snow report
jstw, Thanks again for taking the time to update us (although it sounds like you have the time on your hands!). I have been watching the webcams (the cool new video ones!) and as I thought - it didn't look great. My "Snow-Forecast" emails predicted approx 40-60cm over the past 48 hours - sounds like you have had nothing of the sort, and the 20-40 for the rest of the week is now suddenly 4-8cm Puzzled

Oh well - please stay in and leave some snow for us Very Happy
latest report
jstw, Many thanks. Keep up the updates. Very good stuff.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
[

Not sure about the accuracy of the 'predictions' but facts are inaccurate wink - it snowed in Isola on Tuesday and (by alpine standards) is allegedly in better shape than many others ...

Au contraire. Your facts are inaccurate. The derniere chute de neige was on Dec 21 wink

http://www.isola2000.com/meteo.asp
ski holidays
NorthWestFace wrote:
Whitegold,

The site http://www.chamonix.com/meteocham/MetPreE.php just happns to be th eone used by the Chamonix Tourist Offices and just about every ski resort in the area. The forecast specifically stated the snowfall at 1800m - not higher or lower.

Then you go on to talk bout a "broad rule-of-thumb" and "foot of pow" what model and altitude are you talking about rolling eyes

Snowforecast, SCGB, TWO, Metcheck, MeteoFrance, J2Ski, numerous official resort websites.

Taking all these sites into account, the average was coming out around 30cm across the Alps. I stated this in numerous posts last week. That is how things broadly transpired.

Further, a quick scan of the SCGB website tells me Chamonix got up to 80cm of freshies over the last 3 days (Jan 2 - 4). So those highend forecasts from last week that you huff and puff about may well have been right after all wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 5-01-07 1:23; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Whitegold, Look at the webcams and realise that it didn't happen - read the posts above. I wish it had though!
snow conditions
Whitegold,

"Further, a quick scan of the SCGB website tells me Chamonix got up to 80cm "

Oh how I laughed - what a fantastic source you base your facts on.

You really need to stop beleiving everything you read.
snow report
NorthWestFace, are you based in France?
snow conditions
I was in Chamonix until the afternoon of the 3rd. On the 2nd i got the 1st gondala up to Grand Montet and skiied the Pierre a ric back down to the bottom immediately. I'm not totally sure but i believe the top of this run is at about 1900m. On the piste the powder was very nearly up to my knees and off the sides it was deeper. It carried on snowing all afternoon until about 1am. Bearing in mind i also skiied Grand Montet on the afternoon of new years day and it was absolutely dumping down then and i heard from a friend who lives there that they had more yesterday it's totally feasible that they got around 60-80 cm.
snow conditions
Ahem...... Chamonix? Wheres that? Puzzled

This thread is about a proper ski station 'Flaine'. NehNeh

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Whitegold, Au contraire :-

Isola are inconsistent with their inaccuracies wink :-
Here

Given I was there on 29th/ 30th and in Val d'Isere 16th-27th and saw the snow there on 31st falling my facts and 'comparitives' are based on that.

Having said that the heavily fluctuating temps must have caused chaos bewteen opening and now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy