Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ALPS SET FOR FIRST REAL SNOW?

Poster: A snowHead
Why is Mont Blanc higher than other Alps. There are plenty of good mountains in the Alps, but Mont Blanc is higher, why aren't they all the same?

I,ve checked in my 'ology' degree pack and can't find the reason ! Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But surely if all the mountains were as tall as Mont Blanc, they would also have a similar level of whiteness, and therefore they all would have to be called Mont Blanc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, not the ones in Italy, Austria, or parts of Switzerland they wouldn't.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, Laughing Still with the global warming thing, it'll have to be Mont Vert one day Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beeryletcher, There's an Aiguille Verte.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, There's a Petite Aiguille Verte too. They were all nearly renamed Weisse Spitze, Grune Spitze und Kleine Grune Spitze, but then we rescued them and their surrender monkey owners !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You see the thing is that these perfect predictors just don't exist. You'll get 10 blokes up the mountain saying that because the marmots are walking around on their front paws or the herons are building their nests out of asbestos or the newts are swimming upside down that it's going to be a hot/warm/wet/cold/icy/freezing/arctic/scorching/damp winter...

It's a well known phenomenon that tends to affect middle-aged ladies on Blackpool pier when dealing with fortune tellers... they come away having heard 2 correct "guesses" out of 50 and think the fortune teller is amazing. I absolutely GUARANTEE you that if you actually went around to these mountain men, carefully documented their predictions over the years for a few years then checked the results, you'd find them all averaging out at about even - exactly the same as you and I could get over a period of time just by guessing. Anyone can guess lucky once... keep doing it year after year and you're getting somewhere, but it's only like flipping a coin 10 times and getting ten heads or ten tails coming up - it ain't that hard to do! The wily old buggers are experts in "reminding" you what they predicted as well... normally only when they get it right, otherwise they keep their heads down.

Weather patterns are brought on by changing ocean temperatures, atmospheric temperature fluctuations, rainfall in other parts of the world, you name it... Some old codger sitting halfway up the local mountain with no access to anything other than what he can see with his own eyes is not - trust me - NOT going to be able to do any better a job than a computer could when predicting the weather for more than a few days ahead. I grant you that they can read subtle signs towards the end of the day about what tomorrow may bring, but not for anything more than a few days ahead. Utter poppycock. Anyone believing any of these "old codger" predictions needs a blooming reality check in my book.

Stanton... not wanting to pursue it overmuch.. but come on mate... posting what you did with two sad faces in the post is hardly saying, "one of my mates told me this, but the story is obviously completely ludicrous" now, is it? It kind of indicates that you are accepting the story as told... As I said before, it's your choice to do so and they may even be right. But if they are, it's nothing but a lucky guess, trust me on this one... wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled, you are not suggesting that you think Stanton was serious, are you? Anyone who seriously believes that he was being serious, seriously needs to take a sanity test Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Serre Chevalier today. I would estimate 75% of the pistes have good snow cover and it was snowing hard while we were up there. It was a hard 4 km hike to get these photos especially as we are 50+ old gits. We only managed to make it to L'Aravet (halfway to the top or halfway to the bottom depending on your point of view) as the snow was very heavy and about 2 feet deep. So I think its going to be a good season. We got back and they have already put on the snowmakers, even at the bottom.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chris, nice one chris, hows lynnes head? tell her it was great chatting on friday at the hen do!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowangel., 'how's Lin's head?' I won't give the dirty answer wink , I'll just say "its as pretty as ever".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great news Chris.
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled,

I got a fair amount of faith in the old locals. They know when to bring the cows down Very Happy

You sound as though you trust all information from computer predictions? In the past 2 months they have been pretty inaccurate in Switzerland.

I like to hear infomation from a variety of sources & thats all I was doing is passing on info.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Au contraire... I don't trust ANY prediction more than, at most, one week ahead, be it from old men, groundhogs, newts, herons, marmots or bbc weather presenters... Oh and especially not snowguess. Just watch the gfs prints for a few days to watch how much they change.

Oh and see what happens? I've only just let the world know I'm not returning to Serre Che this winter and look at what the snowgods are doing... Nice pics Chris!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, Well snowforecast.com has been predicting snow this week since a week ago, and now its snowing. No-one can call the weather more than a few days out so I wouldn't believe an old local with or without a Sony Vaio Very Happy NehNeh

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 21-11-06 17:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton, carled, Is the truth not closer to easiski's point. If you've lived all you life (or at least, enough of it) in one valley, with it's particular patterns, that you ought to get a reasonable feel for short term weather? I grant you, anything further out than tomorrow morning/evening will probably be a little optimistic. I reckon I can call the PDS reasonably well having been there quite a bit.

And that said, sadly, unless Serre C. has even weirder weather than alluded to, chris, your lovely dump of snow is about as indicative of a good winter as the current hail on my hotel window in Amsterdam. If it were to (and I do hope not) warm up and rain for a week...(as is entirely possble, although I trust not forecast)... Sad
snow report
David Murdoch, agreed, hence my post a few up ^^^^ saying
Quote:
I grant you that they can read subtle signs towards the end of the day about what tomorrow may bring, but not for anything more than a few days ahead

snowHead snowHead
latest report
I don't know, I still have a reasonable amount of faith in mountain men. After all, weather patterns, like everything else do follow a sort of pattern (bad english there). If you know that a particular set of things happened in a particular order etc. etc. several times in your life, and that was followed by a particular sort of winter, it's reasonable to thinkthea pattern will be followed. All people who live on the land actually need to become adept at predicting the weather - their lives depend on it. carled, Am I right in assuming you're a townie? No-one is saying they're infallible, but just that they're probably as good at long term predictions as the charts.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
easiski wrote:
but just that they're probably as good at long term predictions as the charts.

ie. hopeless wink Laughing

Afaik pattern matching (like practically every other LRF technique) is pretty much useless. The number of variables is just too great.

Some of the experimental stuff like sea surface temperatures being used to show trends, eg. +ve or -ve NAO does show signs of picking up overall averages for a season but anyone saying "it'll be warm at Xmas then dry in January before bucketing snow in Feb" or whatever is just totally guessing (imo), whether they're basing it on scientific hypotheses or the average number of berries each marmotte eats.

Last edited by brian on Tue 21-11-06 17:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Nope. Not a townie... an in-betweenie! Actually was a fair fisherman in my youth and I'm good at spotting impending rain! Handy on the golf course these days...
snow conditions
brian, But that's not what most of them say - it's far more likely to be "it'll be a hard winter" or "I think it'll stay warm this winter" - much more general than your suggestions!

BTW I can tell you that, without recourse to weather sites or the news; it'll rain/snow all night! I know this because it still looks black and horrible behind La Muzelle! wink wink Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
All the mountain men here have, expecting a harsh winter, padded and insulated their bodies with newspaper and sewn themselves into their clothes and I intend to do likewise tomorrow. Now, where's my kneedle and cotton? Cool
snow conditions
chris, If you were in Austria you could look for your knodel! Laughing Laughing
snow report
chris, nice photies Cool Glad to see you're getting off to a good start in SC. When are things opening?

Best to you and Lin

Luc wink
snow report
chris wrote:
The Serre Chevalier today. I would estimate 75% of the pistes have good snow cover

Please tell me you at least skied down after walking all that way up Very Happy
snow report
easiski, I've searched for my knodel all my life and now given up ever finding it! Embarassed
Mark Hunter, offical opening is around 12th Dec earlier if there's enough snow Very Happy . Montgenevre should open next weekend, so looking forward to Saturday. Just hoping I've remembered how to ski. Good to hear from you, Luc. Laughing
latest report
Here a link from todays Swiss Press

http://www.20min.ch/news/bern/story/15710662

It says despite the warm temperatures bookings in Adelboden/Lenk & other Bernese areas are by & large un affected for Xmas & New Year because people just like to get together at this time in the mountains regardless of snow condtions. Skiing actually becomes a secondary activivty.
ski holidays
stanton, I know one snowfall doesn't make winter, but it is a tad ironic that you've posted that on the day that most of the alps had a dump!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My knodels are so big that I have trouble getting them into the top drawer of the freezer.
latest report
Up much higher they have had some snow http://www.jungfraujoch.ch/Default.aspx?tabid=85

But still like last few seasons winter is at least 1 month behind schedule at this altitude. Sad
ski holidays
My point on the "mountain man" predictions are backed up by what Charlotte says.. they won't make concrete predictions, just vague "it'll be a bit warmer this winter" or "it won't be as cold as usual" or "it'll be colder than average" and so on. Exactly the vague, non-measurable non-statements made by supposed psychics, palm readers and so on, where there is always room for ambiguity and misinterpretation. This way, whatever happens they can claim to have known in advance, foretold it and perpetuate the myth that "the mountain men know..."

I promise you that whatever the winter brings, by next spring there will be hundreds of wise old sages nodding knowingly and saying, "I told you it was going to be warm/cold/hot/wet/dry, didn't I? Hmmm...? You young whippersnappers don't know you're born, etc..." and half of them will have said the exact opposite in their "predictions". They cover all bases by saying one thing to half the townsfolk and something different to the others so that, come the analysis, they can turn to at least some of them to be be backed up on their prediction.

Anyhow. We're going in circles. Some people believe that the local weather sages "know" and some don't. I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is the starting of rumours of a "bad winter" ahead based on idle speculation, wild guesses, callouses, various wildlife and other "signs". We get enough panicky newbies on here fretting about whether or not there'll be snow in x resort on March 14th or whatever to start adding fuel to the fires of uncertainty. As Brian sensibly points out, trying to predict the weather based on cycles is not going to get you far... Just because a season in 1980-whatever had no snow until November 30th then a bumper season doesn't mean it'll happen again if there's no snow until November 30th, neither does it mean it won't. No-one knows what lies ahead, but we will all have to make do with whatever it brings anyway, so why worry? Be happy, enjoy your skiing/boarding/whatever and, if you're unlucky enough to have poor snow conditions, make the best of what you do get and hope for better luck next time.
latest report
carled, If in doubt, Just go somewhere with a glacier wink (and ignore the old mountain pillocks and dutch doommongers NehNeh Laughing )
ski holidays
carled rumours of a "bad winter" ahead based on idle speculation.

The problem is it is & is true for the last decade or so.

The warms conditons in recent years in October & November has not allowed the ground to freeze. The first high elevation snows are coming much later & the lower elevation snow do not not settle like they used to.

The Ski Seasons for even lower elevation resorts used to kick of reguarly in Europe December 1st sometimes earlier. The last few seasons has seen them struggling to open befroe Xmas & thats only thanks or no thanks Sad to machine snow.

The warmer ground has a knock on effect throughout the season for the stability of the snowpack i.e Pistes break up & fall apart much quicker & when the big dumps come, the avalanche danger is even greater bringing away not just snow but the mountainside as well.

AxsMan

Most Ski Glaciers in Europe will be gone or unusable within 10 years. Just look how many closed down this summer.
snow report
stanton wrote:

AxsMan

Most Ski Glaciers in Europe will be gone or unusable within 10 years. Just look how many closed down this summer.

Piffle! NehNeh If you're right, I'm a dutchman Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
stanton wrote:

AxsMan

Piffle! NehNeh If you're right, I'm a dutchman Laughing

I was taught at school (I know, a few years ago!) that the Glaciers are the final remannants of the last Ice Age and therefore will eventually dissapear. On that basis all there is to discuss is when NOT if..... Confused
latest report
AxsMan,

You do not sound convinced?

Here a couple of reports from your own News media published 5 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1661704.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1507646.stm

Have a read of this as well.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1105-03.htm
latest report
boredsurfin, Yes, and if 'most' glaciers in Europe are 'gone or unusable' within 10 years' I'll agree that Stanton is the most sensible, un(dutch)biased and least opinionated wind up merchant , I mean 'poster' on this forum wink Very Happy
snow report
stanton, Time will tell, If you are right we better all get booking 10 weeks a year while we can - works for me! snowHead
snow conditions
It's gonna get blooming warm towards and over the weekend folks. GFS charts are in agreement for the next few days. Could get REALLY warm into Fri/Sat and then wet on Sun... More details in this thread... http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=477073
ski holidays
AxsMan, Im not worried 120/150 days/yr on the slopes last 26yrs Very Happy I need to wind down a bit ....

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 22-11-06 14:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy