Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Turns of the Season for Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
A couple of boarders and a skier get some well earned turns on the Ciste Fairway and upper M2 on Scotland's CairnGorm Mountain on Monday 14th Nov. There is already a patchy base under last night fresh snow in the Top Basin where heavier drifts from the weekend came through Monday's thaw...

More at www.winterhighland.info and click pix link on RHS.

Unfortunately the funicular is closed through November as it is undergoing a 5year major service, but the Daylodge is open Daily and a Christmas Market is taking place in the Base Station concourse. Further snow is likely at least on the higher runs this week but even as close as Thursday the detail and snow level is very uncertain at the moment.

Should the snow level lower with a good dump on the lower runs the Daylodge Poma, Carpark and Sheiling Tows and Fiacaill Ridge Poma would operate for snowsports.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, wonderful picture - makes me feel quite homesick (and I don't often suffer from that).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice, great pics on Winterhighland too, thanks for those.
easiski wrote:
Winterhighland, wonderful picture - makes me feel quite homesick (and I don't often suffer from that).

LOL, it's looking good isnt it Very Happy

The weather forecast seems to be showing more snow over the next few days as well Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even the BBC mentioned todays heavy rainfall would fall as snow over the hills particularly in the NW. The weather online 6 day forecast for Cairngorm is also looking promising with lots of snow on the forecast and Saturday in particular looking good. Its a long way out though, so we will have to wait and see.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
That gladdens the heart, doesn't it Very Happy

Next few days are on a series of kinfe edges weatherwise, I'm scared to look Confused

Hope these synoptics repeat in a month's time Razz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooh, gosh, I'm going to be in Halifax for 2 weeks after Christmas. I wonder if I can sneak off for a day or two to ski some of that. Assuming it's still there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Halifax to cairngorm for a day or two Shocked Shocked - proper snowHead -much more committed than me!! - if you think london to halifax is a journey Confused
Still, with all this talk of fresh snow falling about the place I too am becomming a bit desparate to get some turns in! snowHead Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian wrote:
Hope these synoptics repeat in a month's time Razz

I thought synoptics was something to do with interpretation of the New Testament. Turns out it's something to do with weather forecasts. They both require enourmous amounts of faith and people continue to believe in them despite all the evidence that they're nonsense, I suppose.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 15-11-06 13:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^ LOL, it's all north of the Watford Gap Wink

Seriously though, it's worth looking into the overnight sleeper to Aviemore - it's very cheap if you book more than 7 days in advance and if you consider you're effectively saving a couple of nights accomodation by sleeping on the train it's a better option than flying and gives you more time on the slopes. I'm intending to take advantage of it this season when I can Smile

Oh, it's also great fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done Leeds to Cairngorm a fair few times, for 2 days Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once skied in Glencoe till 4.30 then drove back to London !!!! Halifax must be nearly half way, time-wise, from central London, isn't it? - At least 40% anyway (It's nearly 1/2 hour from here to the start of the M1)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball, to Aviemore you need to give yourself about 5 1/2 hours from Dean Clough.

I've done it before - but only during the Christmas break when I'd be off work anyway and the snow looked good.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
10 degree difference between Scotland and England right now http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/datukcurrent.asp

Tomorrow the forecase is for 17C in the South Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From today's webcam it looks like the base has been consolidated overnight with a bit of freeze/thaw and the upper slopes are nice and white. With more snow forecast it's looking hopeful for more turns over the weekend and beyond Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, I wasn't far off - It's about 9 1/2 hours from here, I think.
ski holidays
how many kms of piste in each resort in scotland?
ski holidays
Cold up here this evening.
snow conditions
skiben wrote:
how many kms of piste in each resort in scotland?

After a bit a search around the net for info on the pistes I've gleaned the following information:

Glenshee
21 lifts
40 km of pisted runs

Cairngorm
14 lifts + funicular
37km of pisted runs

Nevis Range
12 lifts
20km of pisted runs (they also boast 35km of non-pisted runs)

The Lecht
15 lifts
20km of pisted runs

Glencoe
7 lifts
11km of pisted runs

There's a very good section about the various ski centres in Scotland on the Highland Instinct site which is worth a look at, it includes piste maps and various stats about each centre.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Cold up here this evening.

Where, Durham or Serre Chevalier? Wink
ski holidays
The Gorm webcam is showing it snowing at the base station right now Very Happy

I've posted a piccy on the Scotland 06/07 thread here

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some amazing photos from today are up on Wintehighland of the latest action, one thread here with piccies from Nevis Range (look out for the bloke almost waist deep in snow) and the other here from Cairngorm.

No lift served skiing yet although word is Glencoe and Cairngorm are aiming to open ASAP, Glencoe next weekend and Gorm as soon as they've got lifts sorted (these are important 'coz the funicular is undergoing annual maintenance until early December.

Anyway, wonderful piccies I think snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Photos from Glencoe, CairnGorm and Nevis are now in the PixfromtheSlopes section of Winterhighland:

CairnGorm Mountain:

Nevis Range:

Glencoe:

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy