Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 06/07

Poster: A snowHead
snowshine, Great, that should be good for my drive up to Glen Coe on Friday!

snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowshine wrote:
This on the BBC weather site:

"Latest UK Weather and Flood Warnings

Thursday 16 November WEATHER WATCH Sleet and snow is likely to affect Northern Ireland and Central Scotland during Friday morning. Accumulations of snow are expected mainly over hills and mountains, however there is a risk of some snow falling to low levels causing disruption to transport for a time Further updates will appear here " snowHead

I particularly like the "accumulations of snow are expected mainly over hills and mountains" bit - excellent! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It has turned colder today even here on Skye. The two hills behind my house are 2500ft and have a snow level of about 1800ft. Unfortunately, although there is a road upto about 1000ft in the Bealach they are not the sort of hills to ski on.
Still hopeful of some turns before the month is out though next week is still looking cold and moist snowHead
Edit: Just had a Lightning storm and lots of hail Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm liking this:

I'm liking it a lot Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
roga, bee-yoo-ti-ful Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lets hope it consolidates, there have been a lot of years when a decent snowfall in Nov early Dec has been washed away by rain a wee bit later Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Still its sleeting over here at the moment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Top camera now working - nothing spectacular yet in the way of snow depth,but more than most of the alps has at the moment Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That top cam doesn't show any drifting, I'd guess the fences are catching some decent depth on top of what was left over last time??
snow conditions
 brian
brian
kitenski, it's actually surprisingly unwindy across the Highlands today, an eye of the storm type thing I think. The forecast is for wind to pick up from the South which is good for Cairngorm. Pick up some snow off the plateau and dump it on the ski area, with a bit of luck !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will they get out and bash it down to help create a base for the season or do they just wait until there's been quite a few snowfalls before bothering with that sort of malarkey?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian,
Quote:

it's actually surprisingly unwindy across the Highlands today

I'm surprised cos here in aberdeen its blowing and absolute hoolee and has been all day!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Dave Horsley,

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good to see the top cam is working at long last!

brian, you betcha - bee-yoo-ti-ful is the word Very Happy

T Bar, yes at this stage consolidation is the name of the game - hopefully it's a wee bit wet and will freeze overnight with more snow on top of that.

Dave Horsley, it's rather nice to see Scotland getting it's fair share of the snow although I hope the Alps fill up soon too (particularly France).

kitenski, yes I'm suprised there isn't more but guess the wind might have blown it towards the main Ptarmigan bowl and elsewhere that's les exposed- fingers crossed anyway!

ben wright, at this stage I think they'll let it settle until there's a good depth - one reason being that the flaura and fauna are protected and any early piste bashing could do untold damage - that's also a reason why the slopes have so many boulders on them in comparison to the Alps, they're not allowed to clear them for environmental reasons and these slopes have never been used as pasture either, they're far too marginal (in fact the plateau above the ski area is arctic tundra, the only area as far as I know south of the arctic circle - correct me if I'm wrong experts Smile )

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 17-11-06 17:20; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 brian
brian
ben wright, don't know if they'll be at bashable depth yet or if they'll have basher driving staff on hand.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very Happy

Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 18-11-06 14:00; edited 2 times in total
snow report
brian,

Seems very local from that map - though the way its howling around the building at work seems much stronger than the 18mph quoted a at Dyce airport.

roga,

Same here, but I want snow in the Dolomites as that's where I'm spending Christmas. At the moment there looks to be no new natural snow and the forecast for the next few days has the lowest temperatures at 3000m higher than cairngorm at the moment. The lack of snow on the Ptarmigan cam aint due to it being windy according to Brian's windspeed map. Though the last time I looked just as it was getting dark it looked like there had been about 15cms of snow going by the depth ontop of the wall around the viewing terrace.
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, buildings and cities (and hills of course) can amplify wind strength locally. I used to think that the corner round the MetO in Bracknell had the world's highest average wind speed. Not that ever got ridiculously high, just that it seemed permanently strong.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
II, is that the Nevis car park ?
latest report
brian,
that's right,
They can't open for a week or so the as Gondola is being serviced Sad

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[insert expletive] down with rain in London this afternoon/early evening.

Hope it kept on snowing up in Scotland. The pics from the webcams look good for a bit of guerilla skiing on the old skis.
snow conditions
Have a look at the Cairngorm webcams this morning - it's a winter wonderland, all white!

Gorgeous Very Happy

Lecht webcams down at the moment dash it and no new piccies up at Nevis as yet.
ski holidays
For the record (coz the webcam piccy above is a direct link into the cam so will change) here it is at 9.58 this morning:

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Now that does look promising guys! Very Happy Looks like some tracks outside the daylodge too. Laughing Laughing Get out there and play! snowHead snowHead Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glenoe Website wrote:

WEATHER FLASH

There have been heavy snowfalls over the last few days. This is forecast to continue until the middle of the week. We intend to assess snow conditions as the week progresses with a view to opening for week-end skiing on 25th and 26th November. Please watch our website for details.

http://glencoemountain.com/store/news.php?listid=1
Very Happy

Pic of Nevis Range

latest report
Looks like the 3 days holiday that I need to use could come in useful over the next week Very Happy
ski holidays
There are some gobsmacking pictures over on Winterhighland of the snow today, one thread here with piccies from Nevis Range (look out for the bloke almost waist deep in snow) and the other here from Cairngorm. People hiked up today because the lifts aren't running as yet although word is there are plans to get them runing ASAP if this keeps up - apparently Glencoe have a stated aim of opening next weekend if they can and Cairngorm staff are reported to be working as quickly as posible to get tows ready which will be crucial seeing as the funicular is currently undergoing routinue maintenance until the begining of December.

Have asked if I can post the one of the Ciste here 'coz it so stunning but no reply yet - all the more gobsmacking (in a different way) to think that the line of chairlifts going up the hill is what they want to remove because there's apparently not enough snow to run them - lol, amazing, must be the only chirlift in the world that needs snow beneath it to run although that piccy rather belies the not enough snow line...

Anyway, slightly off topic there so apologies but wow, those photos are cool snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga,
You say you have not got a relpy yet but the file is on the interweb you could just post a link to it Puzzled

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=1233
ski holidays
II, yes fair point and many would but running a few websites myself I don't like it when people grab my bandwidth. I'd prefer to post a small copy of the piccy here for people to see (I can dump it on one of my servers) and link to more piccies on Winterhighland. that's the way I'd prefer people to treat piccies on my sites so admitedly I'm draging my feet a bit because of that and I think it's the couteous way to do it - call me me an old fashioned stick in the mud/snow Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Ciste looks the biz doesn't it? A couple of machines and a loo or 2 in operation in the old cafe, run the lifts, to hell with the Cas side! Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, too right - I like your thinking! Very Happy
latest report
roga, It is one thing to post a pic with the{img} {/img} around it (sponging) I think it’s called ?
But links that are clickable I think are normally OK? I may be wrong but that is my take on things
Puzzled
May give winterhighland a PM?
snow report
II, a clickabkle link still uses the host's bandwidth each time someone clicks it and views the pic. The host may well see a surge in demand for it when that link finds its way into a new place like here.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,
yes but only if you click the link - if the pic is in [] the bandwidth is used just by a page view:

The above pic is currently hosted on my website so if someone looks at this page my bandwith is used.
http://www.kyleartmarket.co.uk/files/cam1_bennevis_00002.jpg
Is a link and only when somone clicks the link is my bandwith used.
latest report
II, I'm simply doing what I would like others to do with pics on my site. If the image is on Winterhighland's servers all clicks use Winterhighland bandwidth, it's correct to say that directly posting an image on this page uses badwidth each time the page is viewed and posting a link uses less but it's still Winterhighland's bandwidth. If that happens to pics on my sites I may end up paying for extra bandwidth with no discernalbe benefit to my sites, IMHO I don't want to do the same to others 'coz I don't like it done with my images so I'd rather post a sample image (if permission is given) and tell people where to see the rest.

If you view the matter diferently fair dooos but I'll stick with my way of doing things thanks because I personally think it's fairer. Alan at WH might agree, he might not but I'd rather do things in a way that I personally think is fairer to all concerned. With links to the threads themselves Winterhighland has more benefit than with a link to just the image and people who go to Winterhighland have the benefit of seeing all the images in context, rather than just the one, which I think is better for everyone. That's my opinion so we'll have to agree to disagree on the issue but I'd guess we agree on the main point which is that the snow looks cool and we want to spread the word Very Happy
ski holidays
roga wrote:
With links to the threads themselves Winterhighland has more benefit than with a link to just the image and people who go to Winterhighland have the benefit of seeing all the images in context, rather than just the one, which I think is better for everyone.

That's a very good point.
snow conditions
roga,
I do see your point snowHead

PS I PM'ed winterhighland and he said it was OK to post clickable links to photos on www.winterhighland.info Cool (for now) Toofy Grin
latest report
FenlandSkier, cheers Smile

II, cheers and cool if Alan's fine about it. snowHead

Getting back on topic can I remind people our little diversion in the last few posts was related to the great photos of Nevis and Cairngorm posted from today. There are a few more now on Winterighland so worth a look - lol, I defy even II to post links to all of them individually coz there's quite a few now Wink

I'm going to be up on and around the 9th so I hope it lasts - anyone else tempted/planning to head up there?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
roga, severely tempted. I don't have much time in the next few weeks but I might be able to squeeze in a trip to Glencoe if the weather looks half decent next Saturday. I need it to complete my "2006 set" of the Scottish centres Laughing
snow report
Here is a photo from Nevis's own website Toofy Grin
snow conditions
brian wrote:
roga, severely tempted. I don't have much time in the next few weeks but I might be able to squeeze in a trip to Glencoe if the weather looks half decent next Saturday. I need it to complete my "2006 set" of the Scottish centres Laughing

You know I've never been to either of the two western ski areas - must do them sometime Very Happy

Hope the conditions continue like this and you have a good time next weekend.
II wrote:
Here is a photo from Nevis's own website Toofy Grin

Nice, Nevis looks great from the photos - I hope they take advantage of the conditions and get the gondola running at weekends ASAP until the maintenance period is over.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy