Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you buy a ski without testing??

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski,
I have bought most of my skis without testing usaully because they are cheap rolling eyes

In your situation though unless the Missions are cheap I am not sure that I would buy them. If they are unique you may decide they are not for you. If they are similair to other skis surely you could test something very similair to them at Easter and you may well be able to get them at a much cheaper price as this is when a lot of places sell of stock. You will also know for sure that this is the right type of ski for you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Same as T Bar, . Despite advised various people to demo before buying, I have done so 4 times out of 5 pairs (6 if you include cross-country). Largely after discussing with others, reading reviews. I have tested skis which I have decided I don't like. Demoing in resort has become a lot easier in the last 10 years.

For most of us non-expert skiers I think we can get too hung up on how a ski feels when we first put it on, which is probably more about how it interacts with our bad habits. It is probably rude to suggest this as a newbie who didn't come to the Castleford tests, but I also wonder about the point in testing fat skis in a fridge...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 13-11-06 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother wrote:

.... but I also wonder about the point in testing fat skis in a fridge...

Can't argue with that, indeed testing any skis on a run that is only 170 meters long can't really be described as exhaustive! Very Happy Still quite fun though. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THanks JT Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought my B2's on Ebay without testing,saved over £200 Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought mu B2's on Ebay, but after testing first, also saved big wonga. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Powderhound, I test skis all year and am never confused, it's all about what you do with the information available.
The DP Pro is a an easy choice to make, however most of the people on this forum seem to be looking for skis that are heavily marketed, where there is a huge choice, so they are very intrested in what others think. While this is a good idea, i think it's important to start building up a mental image of ones own. Even if you test one ski in many conditions, you've started to build up information.
Far be it for someone to get something out of testing skis, they may end up having an intresting perspective of certain skis, they may even feel like contradicting you!
To suggets people shouldn't test skis as it will just confuse them, is patronising at best. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have and liked them alot, (I also got some grief on this forum for doing so, How times change Laughing )

I have spent this last year testing loads so I now got a very good Idea what I like and can ski. So in the future I will buy blind again.

I agree with the comments that tests loads of skis does get confusing as you cannot test all skis in equal but different conditions at the same.

It will be interesting to get back on my own in Jan and see how they feel after all the others I have tried.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it is not my intention to be patronising and for that I apologise to any that felt patronised by my comments. I get the impression you are in the trade and therefore are not indicative of the market cross-section. It is only that there is so much b*llocks spoken about different skis by people when they are missing the point. Which is to get out and ski and make the most of the conditions. If one spends one's life testing then far too much time is potentially wasted comparing the various minor but myriad differences between the makes and models, it is an inexact science. I skied on Salomon for years because that was the deal I had, but then picked up Atomic sponsorship and was concerned at first because they were so different but after a couple of runs realised that it was up to me to adapt to the ski - I did not have the luxury of playing sponsors off against each other so had to make the best of what I got. Needless to say I fell in love with them and still have some SX11s for warping around on. Blizzard provided our DH boards and again it was either use those or go and buy a new pair of ones you liked...

I appreciate the different needs people have and that there is, of course, no harm in testing skis. However, it must be sensible advice to narrow the list down and minimize the testing you do to maximize the amount of quality sliding you can get done.

BTW we have rented a chalet in Vallorcine for the season so maybe we should hook up for some apres-ski lager-testing (or avant/pendant-ski as I have a season off this year due to a knee re-constuction post-GS disagreement at the end of last season....)

It's pouring in the foothills - should be snowing hard up high!!

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Powderhound, Agreed. Ski testing is hugly subjective and if you get chance to read some of the Large-ones post about working on the World Cup, then you'll now Symmetrical testing for the best is virtually impossible.
So with that in mind how do people choose a ski. As you correctly point out, there is too much B@ll@cks spoken of around skiing, so whom do you choose to belive?
The Collegue, whom wants you to buy as they have, just to re-enforce their choice?
The Forum Skier, whom you don't know but enjoy their posts? How well do they ski and who are they, REALLY?
The Ski salesman, who will sell you what he can and under the cover of the shop will naturally know more than you, after all that's why he works there, isn't it?

For this reason, find a shop that will let you test skis, you have nothing to lose. You need a point of referance, if you haven't got one, how the hell can you help anyone to help you?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Powderhound, are you big? I ask because it makes much less difference to a big bloke who may (probably will) dominate whatever skis he has on his feet, compared to a smaller, lighter skier who needs the touch element.

The skis I bought unskied were Kastle RX national Team SLs - red ones just before the gold ones. They were planks - OK if skied very aggresively, but otherwise ghastly. Now I like touch skiing ... I couldn't even give the things away. Also, I believe that everyone has a ski that just feels "right" to them. Several Snowheads have tested quite heavily lately, and a couple of then have found this ski. No testing and they would never know this feeling at all. Are you thinking that none of them are good enough skiers to feel any difference? It rather sounds like it. Can you? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I expect that even is Powderhound isn't big he must be a bit of a monster if he's skiing 201 DP Pros and enjoying the experience
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Apparently Ellis Brigham are getting a further order of Missions in.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, I'm told one of the UK Scott guys wanted to drive them in but customs didn't approve so they're being couriered for about a week's time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to chip in with a wee comment, I reckon you get to a stage where you can feel the difference, after which you need to test skis. Sure, anyone good enough can ski on anything - but if it's for recreation and you're not getting them for "free" - it's worth finding ones you like.

That said, everything I tried at the PSB - from Atomic ST:12s to BD Verdicts felt exactly the same - just like fingernails being scratched down a blackboard. wink
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
just like fingernails being scratched down a blackboard. wink

You can really go off some people Wink
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I agree about the standard, but I reckon that even below that level peeps can still find the ski that feels just perfect on your feet. they might not be able to accurately revu a ski for various characteristics, but they will feel perfect. snowHead
ski holidays
easiski, Arno, 6'1" and 105 kgs. Use them for touring too...
latest report
Powderhound, please post a video of you performing a kick-turn Madeye-Smiley
snow report
easiski, I second that Very Happy

David Murdoch, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Ok, I am buying without testing too. I wonder if they really will work, but the Head Super Monsters iM103 from a couple of years back are going to be mine tomorrow. Anyway, I am looking for float, long lines and hard ski - guess that's it really. If it takes me down some groomed piste occasionally too, all the better. What the heck, I might even try some speedskiing on them too! Blush
latest report
I'm not sure how to upload a picture - a luddite at heart...
snow report
easiski, Good and fair point. Actually, reminiscing a little, I wonder whether my recollection of not being able to tell, at any given point, a good ski was just that I hadn't to that point skied on one. Plus the whole skinny ski experience where I think you really did have to pay good money for good skis.

Arno, I think 201 DP Pros sound like a whole bunch of fun. I understand SZK has them to test... Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy